• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shame the controller will never come out over here.

Though 54 USD DS3 deluxe is a good trade off.

Yep, it's not available over here as well, and maybe never will.
Except if I'm importing perhaps, though it'll cost me double the price. Shipping tax in my country is insane with all the corruptors at every checkpoint.

yeah, the characters and skins released in the past 4 years or so have been like that.

for older characters and skins riot has been slowly changing the art so it better matches their current standards. new splashes and new models better match each other, and some characters are completely redesigned

Great news. League's really needed it, at least last that I saw.

The only other game I've played with such dramatic art differences is Marvel Heroes. The old modeller and new one are literal night-and-day differences.
Marvel Heroes Old Modeller
ss_ba10c65e9a7c9ebc052ec3b49a10058881b5dc63.jpg

ss_89ed1d75cd6ad3c1ed2373a2b4ca642115bd8532.jpg

Marvel Heroes New Modeller
ss_4bb87faa5591df000745385d9502e0cb4450e34c.jpg

ss_f37d10ddfdd949b7f7dd9b40e0aed106621e4d9f.jpg
Just a whole lot more detailed and overall they look so much better. (And these screenshots are at the same in-game quality level, though I did take them from the store.)

idk think i'll buy Enter The Gungeon tho

also I need to beat this Arkham Knight guy, he's a dick

level 15 in The Division too and I feel like im mindlessly going through the motions

I'm L25 and I just want to end at this point. The story missions are pretty decent but the constant "defend this area" for 2 minutes or so is getting really tiresome. If only they had spent as much time on story and mechanics as they did crafting the vast empty ultimately samey world they could have found a very good game in there somewhere.

zkylon

zkylewd
So Riot looked at the Dota 2 map and decided to use the same color palette? That's actually cool, that new map looks so much better than the older one which was too saturated and hard to read for what I remember.
i mean, i'm not sure what riot was supposed to do, it's a whimsical fantasy forest, it's gonna have a lot of green and blue and purple. league is a bit brighter and saturated, doto is a bit darker and has more contrast.

they could've a new map with a different setting like desert or something but then you'd be forgetting about a setting the people that already play league love just to try and make something different for difference's sake

but yeah, old map was super gross, oversaturated, overdetailed and just plain bad, new one is much better, even if it looks a lot like doto. after all, the important stuff is in the characters, and in that league and doto have very distinct styles

Yes, that's the thing that actually pushed me away from LoL. I have a partial color-blindness.
what about league is bad for color blind ppl?

The only other game I've played with such dramatic art differences is Marvel Heroes. The old modeller and new one are literal night-and-day differences.

Just a whole lot more detailed and overall they look so much better. (And these screenshots are at the same in-game quality level, though I did take them from the store.)
looks like more fidelity+general honing in on the artstyle

and honestly league "really needed it" is a pretty outdated idea. like the map needed an update forever but champions and skins have been looking really good for a long while and i feel people just got too hung up on the really old art which was awful even by the time's standards

Rizzi

I haven't played Marvel Heroes in like, a year. That Carnage model is pretty good.

So Newegg has a SanDisk Ultra II 2.5" 960GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SDSSDHII-960G-G25 on sale for $200.

$200 for a ~1TB SSD to throw in my PC for my main Steam library drive seems like a good idea... but is there any reason I shouldn't be considering pulling the trigger here?

This is my motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128546

And I already have a 120gb ssd installed as the OS drive.
The only counter-argument? I wouldn't trust the stability of SSDs outside of a few brands, and SanDisk is not one of them.

Doesn't fit the character? Don't use it then.

Salsa

I'm L25 and I just want to end at this point. The story missions are pretty decent but the constant "defend this area" for 2 minutes or so is getting really tiresome. If only they had spent as much time on story and mechanics as they did crafting the vast empty ultimately samey world they could have found a very good game in there somewhere.

the only reason im playing the game is cause I can play it from bed with a controller

cause the keyboard bindings are awful and im playing at 30fps

Panda Rin

Gonna pick up DkS3 Deluxe + Steam Controller...don't know how well the game will work with it, but whatever.

edit: does the controller ship immediately?

Soulflarz

Banned
oh, so the steam controller is $30 since I own DS3?

welp, I think I can do $30 >_>

edit: shipping kills it, it's above $40 after shipping and taxes.

Dsyndrome

Steam controller for $30? Might need to jump on that. Don't see it becoming my primary, but I'm more than willing to give it a try.

catabarez

Guys get on that Steam controller. It has gotten way better since launch and is now my most used controller. The newish rumble emulation also is pretty decent.

Echoplx

Is Company of Heroes 2 worth it now? I'm thinking about upping my Humble Bundle amount to get the master collection but the first game is still awesome and the reviews for the second seem kind of bad, and what's all this about microtransactions for commanders?

I just want to play skirmish basically, should I buy?

Guys get on that Steam controller. It has gotten way better since launch and is now my most used controller. The newish rumble emulation also is pretty decent.

Steam controller really doesn't do much for me unless a game doesn't natively support controllers (and that support isn't likely to ever come) and someone has already made a profile for the game that works halfway decently.

The only counter-argument? I wouldn't trust the stability of SSDs outside of a few brands, and SanDisk is not one of them.

What brands do you recommend?

Nabs

Rumble Emulation is really cool. I'm currently playing some OlliOlli 2 with it and it feels niiice. Btw, touch based OlliOlli is awesome.

I also picked up a Steam Link today and I'm loving it. I'm using it over 5ghz and I can't feel the latency at all. I'm excited to finally get to play these older games w/o controller support on my big screen. SC+SL, best duo since Mos and Kweli.

catabarez

Steam controller really doesn't do much for me unless a game doesn't natively support controllers (and that support isn't likely to ever come) and someone has already made a profile for the game that works halfway decently.

What brands do you recommend?

I figured I would only use it for PC games with no native controller support, but that changed. Most games that don't even support mouse + gamepad work very well with it due to the joystick mouse option. Games like Fallout 4 work pretty well with it.

Careful now, quoting my old posts triggers people more than spiders and anime combined.

But man, that was a rough period for the Steam thread looking back on it, too, but for very different reasons than now.

During that period, there was a weird trend of building up a cult of personality around specific posters and the reigns changed hands a few times, generally with different, disastrous results. I remember the time when Salsashark could derail the thread for pages and pages with 3DS talk because he was the thread's chosen celebrity for the month.

Now, though, no one is specifically the star. No one person has the ability to derail the thread like before so we have all these minor thread-celebrities posting as pseudo-characters with weird interests and quirks that have been taken to an extreme bordering on fetish. I remember when a lot of you started posting in here and some of you used to be normal and that's really, really weird for me.

Knowledge

2 weeks and 5 hours to Dark Souls 3.

F4kUx9j.gif

Damn is it really that long? Need to see when I want to take vacation that week....

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Hi again. Thought I'd give the waking people a chance to win tonight...

Firewatch Giveaway

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dupy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Firewatch -- MB-E2DC9287C21F82D9 - Taken by AbundantChoice. 21 entrants total.

t1459220030z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom