• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

Bought the $1 tier of the Star Wars Humble Bundle on a whim, thinking about raising the donation later.

Headed over to Steam, and every DOS game in this bundle has reviews recommending getting the game from GOG instead for good reasons.

I think I should have held my dollar. I didn't activate anything yet, may even request a refund.

Except those games will never be a dollar on GoG. And the Rebellion reviews say the Steam version actually has some bugs fixed.

Accoun

Checked my email, got something from Sega. Turns out it's the reminder about my code for the third MWNL package.

I guess I'll never get the code for the second one. *sigh* They were supposed to send a new batch of whatever (I think?) today, but I guess not of that.

A YEAR!?!

I think it's a year but I could be wrong. It's hard to keep up with all the rules they keep coming up with :\

The idea is that the trade delay is lowered if you are trading with someone who is actually your friend and you've known them for a while.

So anyway, I'm reading the replies to that notch tweet because the Dota tournament is delayed by over an hour now and I come across this one person tweeting a photo of them uninstalling Minecraft. What sense does that even make? You've already paid for the game and on top of that, he has already sold Minecraft for billions so he doesn't even give a shit. People need to be more thoughtful in their demonstrations of anger and dissent.

Catshade

Bought the $1 tier of the Star Wars Humble Bundle on a whim, thinking about raising the donation later.

Headed over to Steam, and every DOS game in this bundle has reviews recommending getting the game from GOG instead for good reasons.

I think I should have held my dollar. I didn't activate anything yet, may even request a refund.

Yeah, I was *this* close to buy the bundle. Then I happened to read Galactic Battlegrounds Saga store page reviews:

Here's the issues with this version:

Starting from Steam opens the "battlegrounds_x1.exe" program which does nothing but suck up 30% CPU without actually loading the game.
Starting from the base game exe (battlegrounds.exe) works, but singleplayer is disabled behind an "Insert the CD" prompt. edit: mounting a virtual drive with a random ISO unlocked base game singleplayer content.
Launching directly from battlegrounds_x1.exe, again, does nothing but take up 30% CPU until the program is force-quit.

Broken as hell. Maybe try testing the game before you attempt to sell this for money.

WTF?!

Tenrius

Galatic Battlegrounds didn't work for me eitther.

It's actually kinda funny: it launched an application which was titled "gog.com" in the taskbar and "player.exe" at the top of the window. The window itself was empty and white with a little message at the top about video output not being available or something.

Stuff:
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hero of the Kingdom -- MB-981C8171B39DF6AD - Taken by TheMadMan007. 5 entrants total.
SEGA Make War Not Love Bundle 3 -- MB-8A2E2745FEF30004

t1456899355z1.png

iosefe

guys i'm conflicted.

i mostly want LEGO Star Wars, but i would appreciate a steam copy of KotOR 1 if they ever decided to update it, and i never got to play Xwing or tiefighter before

give a reason why or why not, and what prostpects the BTA holds for next week

guys i'm conflicted.

i mostly want LEGO Star Wars, but i would appreciate a steam copy of KotOR 1 if they ever decided to update it, and i never got to play Xwing or tiefighter before

give a reason why or why not, and what prostpects the BTA holds for next week

KotOR2 is all the reason you need. Pull the trigger.

(Hence the Darth Nihlus t-shirt at the highest tier.)

iosefe

Are video games art? Yes. The answer is a resounding yes.

Then KotOR1 can only be a disappointment. Worth playing, but nothing comparing to 2.

I'm sorry.

but i've played them both. the steam version would replace my Best of PC DVD as a source of kotor 1

Jawmuncher

I'm looking at the releases and I can't say there's anything I'm wanting day 1 on PC anytime soon, unless some magical games get announced and released quickly.

Hell in general only stuff I see myself buying day 1 this year is RE4,5,6 on XB1, umbrella Corps on PS4, and Bravely Default 2.

I dunno I'm not feeling a lot of the releases this year.

Lomax

Didn't those Star Wars games just launch on steam today? Might want to give them at least a chance to fix it. Besides, it was a dollar. I think they deserve some credit for not milking sales before bundling. I'm sure some of the GOG fixes will get modded in eventually even if they don't get official fixes.

DeadLight is pretty nice. It nails the bleak, depressing zombie apocalypse mood pretty much perfect.
Controls are fine, gotta get used to projectile weapons. Puzzles are usually easy but I got stuck in the sewers, hm. Only gripe would be that loading times upon death take a tad longer than I'd like and death comes very easy and swift in this game.

Jawmuncher

DeadLight is pretty nice. It nails the bleak, depressing zombie apocalypse mood pretty much perfect.
Controls are fine, gotta get used to projectile weapons. Puzzles are usually easy but I got stuck in the sewers, hm. Only gripe would be that loading times upon death take a tad longer than I'd like and death comes very easy and swift in this game.

I hated that game. Thought it was extremely boring and the story uninteresting. Part of the reason I have no hype for Rime. A beat mean of me to say, but I really didn't like it.

Didn't those Star Wars games just launch on steam today? Might want to give them at least a chance to fix it. Besides, it was a dollar. I think they deserve some credit for not milking sales before bundling. I'm sure some of the GOG fixes will get modded in eventually even if they don't get official fixes.
Is there any precedent for ancient re-releases getting patched? I can't think of a single one on Steam. Real buyer's beware sort of stuff.

It's really the reason why I love GOG's existence so much. There's just no other way those games get brought onto modern systems.
but i've played them both. the steam version would replace my Best of PC DVD as a source of kotor 1

Welp, uh... considering the state of Galactic Battlegrounds, I wouldn't put much stock in half of the bundle's functionality. LEGO I can't comment on, having not played it. And the other stuff you own. But that Darth Nihlus t-shirt could be yours!

For next week's BTA, the only thing left (assuming no repeats from 1) would be some sort of The Old Republic (or Star Wars: Battlefield) tie-in. Unless I'm overlooking something.

I hated that game. Thought it was extremely boring and the story uninteresting. Part of the reason I have no hype for Rime. A beat mean of me to say, but I really didn't like it.
Oh that surprises me. I really like the mood and 2.5D gameplay. You feel vulnerable compared to harmless hordes of zombies in other games. But yes, of course a matter of taste.

iosefe

Welp, uh... considering the state of Galactic Battlegrounds, I wouldn't put much stock in half of the bundle's functionality. LEGO I can't comment on, having not played it. And the other stuff you own. But that Darth Nihlus t-shirt could be yours!

For next week's BTA, the only thing left (assuming no repeats from 1) would be some sort of The Old Republic (or Star Wars: Battlefield) tie-in. Unless I'm overlooking something.

but are the x-wing an tie fighter games servicable?

Tenrius

Me too. The platforming was super clunky and that sewer level completely broke the immersion. It looked like something from a grotesque cartoon.

I remember liking maybe the first half of Deadlight or at least the first quarter, but I also remember it going to shit pretty quickly

Done and done.

Wa1kwjB.png

This is going to be my only full price purchase this year.
I hope..

Too late to try Gears for $10, huh?

It seems that there's still a way to purchase it from another region.
You have to buy the gift cards from the cheap region first, then use the credits on that region store. Direct paypal/credit card purchase doesn't work anymore.

Interested in living an ordinary life, away from the horrors of war, while still being able to slay zombies at your leisure? Play Stardew Valley. Live the dream.

Thrive.
but are the x-wing an tie fighter games servicable?

Never played them. Only heard praise about TIE Fighter--it's considered a classic. But again, I'd check to see if it runs on modern systems before diving in.

I had a sarlacc of a time getting Star Wars: Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight running at all on Windows 8, and it's newer than those IIRC.

Done and done.

Wa1kwjB.png

This is going to be my only full price purchase this year.
I hope..

It seems that there's still a way to purchase it from another region.
You have to buy the gift cards from the cheap region first, then use the credits on that region store. Direct paypal/credit card purchase doesn't work anymore.

Oh, well that's fine. MS Store literally offers exact dollar increments for gift cards. Maybe I'll use Bing for a $10 gift card.

iosefe

Never played them. Only heard praise about TIE Fighter--it's considered a classic. But again, I'd check to see if it runs on modern systems before diving in.

I had a sarlacc of a time getting Star Wars: Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight running at all on Windows 8, and it's newer than those IIRC.

i just needed one amd fix for Dark forces to work for me

i took the plunge. im' feeling lucky

So, I came across this article on a certain website just now.

"Black Desert Online Is Already Getting Nude Mods - NSFW"

I'm not going to click it for sure.. for now.

i just needed one amd fix for Dark forces to work for me

i took the plunge. im' feeling lucky
The Dark Side beckons.
e96954ae7a364f647d5cb46e50f5a5ce2cbb5628.jpg

Dark Forces 1 was a Dosbos config change for me, while DF2 was a wild mishmash of like five changes gathered from difference sources to get it running (at low quality). Still great games.

Dsyndrome

GD it Gamr of Thrones, I hate how I know the fuck heads in this game won't get comeuppance regardless of any choice I do. Just finished Episode 1 after however long, pissed off and only know it will get worse. No
Joffrey
dying to somehow make it better.
I'm looking at the releases and I can't say there's anything I'm wanting day 1 on PC anytime soon, unless some magical games get announced and released quickly.

Hell in general only stuff I see myself buying day 1 this year is RE4,5,6 on XB1, umbrella Corps on PS4, and Bravely Default 2.

I dunno I'm not feeling a lot of the releases this year.
You're not on the DXMKD, Dishonored 2, DS3 love trains? I sure am, less so about BD 2 due to the Asterisk cuts for the West
even though I have the Collector's Edition preordered.

iosefe

The Dark Side beckons.
e96954ae7a364f647d5cb46e50f5a5ce2cbb5628.jpg

Dark Forces 1 was a Dosbos config change for me, while DF2 was a wild mishmash of like five changes gathered from difference sources to get it running (at low quality). Still great games.

i may regret not springing for the shirt

DF1 was servicable upon startfor me. good old DosBox. now Mysteries of the sith i had some issues with, and i think my colored lighting still ain't quite working right. i'll have to check again.

Kagemusha

These should work.
ModBot said:
Instructions

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Porradaria 2: Pagode of the Night -- MB-1CB95E8FDE0E5D34 - Taken by fuzzy123
Porradaria 2: Pagode of the Night #2 -- MB-79B8545AD6A08B1A - Taken by TheMadMan007

Didn't the X-wing games made their digital debut on Steam and GOG at the same time?

Gamer Gate is basically about a dude who got really angry and jealous about a girl who he perceived as having sex behind his back with anyone she talked to. He then posted a bunch of personal correspondence and psychotically over analyzed it 500 Days of Summer style and called for a sustained harassment campaign against his ex.

Anita Sarkeesian is a critic who makes analysis videos on games from a feminist perspective. People get reeeeaaaaally angry when you make a scholarly, critical analysis of publicly available works.

oooh okay. but i disagree on the anita thing, she just likes to rile folks up and gaf and the rest of the internet always falls for her bait.

GD it Gamr of Thrones, I hate how I know the fuck heads in this game won't get comeuppance regardless of any choice I do. Just finished Episode 1 after however long, pissed off and only know it will get worse. No
Joffrey
dying to somehow make it better.
You can play the game silent and still get similar outcome.
Like within two weeks of each other, it wasn't anything significant.
That means the games are pretty much the same between Steam and GOG right?

Dr.Acula

Banned
oooh okay. but i disagree on the anita thing, she just likes to rile folks up and gaf and the rest of the internet always falls for her bait.

I don't think she aims to rile people up, she has legitimate insights into how media distorts the view of women. She's not out there saying anything inflammatory or defaming, she's just criticizing game design and story choices. If that's something that "riles" people, it's on them. There's no reason to send death threats to a woman because she says Mario rescuing a princess is reinforcing stereotypes and maybe that's something that's problematic to reinforce over and over again to children. She has interesting points that make you think. She's not slapping Mario games out of peoples hands or calling for a ban or anything.

Dsyndrome

That means the games are pretty much the same between Steam and GOG right?

GOG contains:
About: Includes STAR WARS™: X-Wing and all Tour of Duty expansions: Imperial Pursuit and B-Wing in all three versions: 1993 (DOS), 1994 (DOS CD), and 1998 (Windows) versions!

STEAM contains:
Includes STAR WARS™: X-Wing and all Tour of Duty expansions: Imperial Pursuit and B-Wing in both - 1993 (DOS) and 1998 (Windows) versions!

A lot of people hate that you can't get the '94 DOS CD version (me included). I sprang for the GOG version because they're the same price and there's no achievements, so that usually has me side with GOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom