• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

GD it Gamr of Thrones, I hate how I know the fuck heads in this game won't get comeuppance regardless of any choice I do. Just finished Episode 1 after however long, pissed off and only know it will get worse. No
Joffrey
dying to somehow make it better.

You're not on the DXMKD, Dishonored 2, DS3 love trains? I sure am, less so about BD 2 due to the Asterisk cuts for the West
even though I have the Collector's Edition preordered.

Dunno what DXMKD is but I didn't like dishonored 1 and I'm just not feeling DS3. I was rather unimpressed by Bloodborne.

Bigby

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Bigby, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Make Love Not War 3 -- MB-B810D89CAF827328 - Taken by hannes

MaxiLive

Dammit! I've swapped phones and left my old one at home but now I can't login to Steam at work to play some games at lunch :(

I can't see any way to disable mobile authenticator without being on the phone/number itself. I need my Stardew Valley fix!

Cyldman

Banned
Have you heard of GIBHARD? Neither did I.

It's an oldschool FPS that should come to greenlight soon. Looks pretty awesome

http://www.gibhard.com/

webshot08.jpg

Damn that looks solid.

Nordicus

Grim Dawn is rad
Square icons are active skills
Circular icons are passive
The 1-point passive skills change the linked skill's function significantly (say, spammable skill vs high burst with cooldown)
ntjSIwL.jpg

A skill modifier heavy skill tree like this (which Titan Quest also had) fixes an issue that Torchlight 1 and 2 had even though I loved both games: when you leveled up and reached a point where you could pick new skills, chances are that you'd be offered stuff that:

A) is redundant because it does the same job as a skill you've been pumping points into from the beginning, but worse because it starts at first level
B) is so much superior to the similar skill from earlier levels that it is rendered downright obsolete, but you can't get all those invested skill points back because Torchlight 2's respec is only able to give back the last few skillpoints you've invested into anything

The 15 day hold for market sales is truly absurd. They need to change it so that it doesn't apply to trading cards, or anything being sold for below $3 (which is their current threshold for sending an email confirmation). And 15 days is way too long regardless of what item you're trying to sell.

You have to wonder what percentage of sales going through the market are scams that Valve is implementing such harsh measures on the entire userbase of the market.

Grim Dawn is rad

A skill modifier heavy skill tree like this (which Titan Quest also had) fixes an issue that Torchlight 1 and 2 had even though I loved both games: when you leveled up and reached a point where you could pick new skills, chances are that you'd be offered stuff that:

A) is redundant because it does the same job as a skill you've been pumping points into from the beginning, but worse because it starts at first level
B) is so much superior to the similar skill from earlier levels that it is rendered downright obsolete, but you can't get all those invested skill points back because Torchlight 2's respec is only able to give back the last few skillpoints you've invested into anything

Have to say I'm not a huge fan of skill systems where you have to level up 16 times to invest 16 skill points to get the maximum benefit from a skill. It always makes the power increase between two steps in the chain too granular to notice. What is the feedback to the player when investing a skill point to take a skill from 8/16 to 9/16 increased your damage by 6.25% for example?

I remember playing Torchlight 2 with the ranged (pistol) class character. The default combat range was barely longer melee range. Of course you could spend points to increase your range, but each point increased it by a very small percentage. One point invested increased the combat range by maybe 2-3mm on my screen. You don't actually have an appreciable increase in range until you've spent a few points into the skill, and that will take a long time because after a certain stage they don't let you spend points to increase your range until you've spent points on other upgrades.

Grim Dawn is rad

Yeah, that's ticking all my boxes for ARPGs. The one thing that's kept me from scooping it up is couch co-op. For some reason, this is one of the genres that the Ole Lady really likes to play. The others being predominantly Nintendo platformers and whatever you call Animal Crossing, so if you see me racking up massive hours in Stardew Valley, it's not really me.

But now the Steam page is listing co-op for Grim Dawn? Is that online or LAN only, or is it local? That would seal the deal.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

qzNSxgo.jpg
Heroes Reborn: Enigma iOS -- MB-85FF15DC111CD30A - Taken by TheMadMan007

Nordicus

Have to say I'm not a huge fan of skill systems where you have to level up 16 times to invest 16 skill points to get the maximum benefit from a skill. It always makes the power increase between two steps in the chain too granular to notice. What is the feedback to the player when investing a skill point to take a skill from 8/16 to 9/16 increased your damage by 6.25% for example?

I remember playing Torchlight 2 with the ranged (pistol) class character. The default combat range was barely longer melee range. Of course you could spend points to increase your range, but each point increased it by a very small percentage. One point invested increased the combat range by maybe 2-3mm on my screen. You don't actually have an appreciable increase in range until you've spent a few points into the skill, and that will take a long time because after a certain stage they don't let you spend points to increase your range until you've spent points on other upgrades.
Yeah, I remember the skills having very minor growth as well unless you hit one of the break points for major upgrade (and even those were sometimes lackluster)

In Grim Dawn you get 3 skill points per level. You might sometimes dump those points into the Mastery (read: class) itself to get more stats and get closer to unlocking new skills, but if you're comfortable with what you got gear and skill selection wise, you can just dump all 3 points in one skill and then it's tough not to see an immediate difference.

And second, in Grim Dawn you're free to max out your skill immediately as you reach it. If you just wanted to dump all you skill points of the next 4 levels into a range increase passive, then you can just do it. You might start lagging behind on damage and survivability, but you're free to do it. There is no "You must be level 27 to increase this skill further" unless we're talking about a new later tier passive that amplifies an old skill in a new way

Yeah, that's ticking all my boxes for ARPGs. The one thing that's kept me from scooping it up is couch co-op. For some reason, this is one of the genres that the Ole Lady really likes to play. The others being predominantly Nintendo platformers and whatever you call Animal Crossing, so if you see me racking up massive hours in Stardew Valley, it's not really me.

But now the Steam page is listing co-op for Grim Dawn? Is that online or LAN only, or is it local? That would seal the deal.
It's online and LAN

OMG a free game. It's only been like a couple of hours since the last free game:
https://gleam.io/tAGxA/10k-particula?data=8
11 actions (I've not looked what awaits you after the Steam group, youtube page and wishlisting). It's got trading cards. It's an utterly terrible tower defence game featuring 3 maps, towers and 2 enemies. There are plenty of web games with more content in that genre.

Hopefully I'll be done Fallout 4 by then.

I have some crap that cost me nothing to give away:
giphy.gif

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Make War Not Love Bundle 3 -- MB-B7949E53F52F25B5 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 1 entrants total.
Particula -- MB-0702DDB69FC2DA37 - Taken by Regginator. 1 entrants total.

t1456926187z1.png

The Mini Metro daily challenge is insanely difficult today. It's in Cairo, where each train can only carry 4 people at a time, on extreme. Normally I tend to do fairly well in the dailies (I end up in the top 5-10% most of the time), but today I didn't even reach 100 passengers.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Make War Not Love Bundle 3 -- MB-1D261FCE7AEE903D - Taken by Jalal

i was tempted to redeem it for Gunstar but i can emulate it or play my PS3 version. Meh.

Holy Cow, that's a big change.

Sounds like they've just thrown up their hands and decided they don't want anything to do with account security anymore. Probably because their customer service is so shit that they consider this a quick fix.

It basically kills trading card sales unless you have a smartphone. I have Steam Guard and have validated my account with Valve's Compliance department, and I'm still getting screwed over.

It's a pathetic move.

Pachimari

For what reason?

Amazon has an undisclosed purchase limit in place, problem is they never tell you what the limit is and it can potentially get your account closed if you order too much.

I had one of my Hitman orders cancelled for that reason but my account was fine.

http://www.theinternetpatrol.com/ab...-limit-policy-you-didnt-know-you-lived-under/

I dont order multiple copies of games and such, but the fact that they don't tell you the limits is absolutely ridiculous, how do you expect people to stay within limits that aren't defined to them whatsoever? Especially on mundane everyday use products.
Oh I'm sorry, I should have clarified, my mistake. It's because I have used an American address, and I am based in Europe, but I'm not sure that's such a good idea.

Anyone know if it's possible to create a windows recovery usb without having to burn it onto the dvd first?

i just installed win10 completely off a usb stick so it might be fine. I guess it depends on whether you want to recovery files from your OS or just format your PC. You might need a burned iso for recovery

Tizoc

Have some quick ones lads and lasses
ModBot said:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

This Book Is A Dungeon -- MB-19E47EA4D61DACA4 - Taken by Catshade
CMYW -- MB-663452AAF54412C3 - Taken by crazyrabbits
Hordelicious -- MB-288992CD5096C240 - Taken by UnderWaterTree
Make War not Love #2 Bundle -- MB-DC13B5723C325685 - Taken by fallout
Rogue State -- MB-757F9C66092B7D64 - Taken by rainking187
Belladona -- MB-0EF0E532CB403119 - Taken by bloke
Make War not Love #3 Bundle -- MB-74CF7D689AFB0528
Protoshift PlusOST -- MB-CDF1CE8D182D09A0 - Taken by madjoki
Proto Raider -- MB-B1D08D8D1106DE9C - Taken by septicore

madjoki

Sounds like they've just thrown up their hands and decided they don't want anything to do with account security anymore. Probably because their customer service is so shit that they consider this a quick fix.

It basically kills trading card sales unless you have a smartphone. I have Steam Guard and have validated my account with Valve's Compliance department, and I'm still getting screwed over.

It's a pathetic move.

Yeah, it is. What they should be doing is blocking only suspicious trades or those that include high value items.

coupon (wit 14 day expiry) or 5 cent card isn't same 1-300€ Knife.

Trading 1:1 cards with similar value? That's nothing suspicious

Pachimari

I'm thinking of either getting Stardew Valley, or Story of Seasons which I have had my eyes on for a while, and it's from the original Harvest Moon developers. Decisions decisions.

Backlogger

Bought the $1 tier of the Star Wars Humble Bundle on a whim, thinking about raising the donation later.

Headed over to Steam, and every DOS game in this bundle has reviews recommending getting the game from GOG instead for good reasons.

I think I should have held my dollar. I didn't activate anything yet, may even request a refund.

I'm just weird but I will most likely still get some of these from GOG also. I was happy to pay $10 to have all these old Star Wars games in my Steam account at that price. GOG hasn't had a good enough sale yet for what I consider to be games I am buying solely for collection purposes. I also own the X-Wing and Tie Fighter games on disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom