• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

Oh, BTW:

Delisted WinStore games cannot be installed/played even by existing owners.

J2oGpiN.gif

I won't be making any changes to Idle Master - though I'll likely update the website so that the "Download now" button goes directly to the portable version (and then remove the separate link for the portable version). The standard version, which keeps itself updated automatically, requires a digital code signing certificate that has to be maintained ($). If you already have the standard version installed, it should work fine until that certificate expires (May/June, I think) then it might bring up a warning message when launching it is all.

Enhanced Steam I'll still be working on updating when I can but I haven't been as active with it lately as I would like to be. Patreon sponsors are still paying for the server upkeep costs and a lot of the non-market features are still things I couldn't personally live without.

Hey jshackles, how much would it cost just to keep it running? Is it a monthly or yearly thing? Just curious. You can PM me or message me on Steam if you'd rather.

Oh, BTW:

Delisted WinStore games cannot be installed/played even by existing owners.

Not saying it's right, but doesn't iOS do this too?

If it's removed from the app store and you don't have it installed on your device(s) or backed up to a computer with itunes or whatever, you can't re-download it, I think?

madjoki

I don't see the problem with their decision, I prefer it to some 100gb+ download.

I think you're over estimating by much.

game is 50GB without those (Xbox). 50GB would be enough for full length movie. At blu-ray bitrate (~50 Mbit) which is waay overkill and cannot be streamed reliably. Netflix 4K is around 1/3 of this.

Allowing for optional 1080p downloadd or 4k download shouldn't be problem.

For most games cutscene quality is real issue, even when those aren't streamed. Because how streaming works, it needs to be even lower quality (you can't use extra bitrate for scenes that need it and save from those that don't need it). (Shout out to Max Payne 3 for having good quality cutscenes).

madjoki

That's weird, GMGs coupon only says "MAR20".

Yeah they change those:

Code:
HIT25 *

*The voucher code looks a little shorter than usual, right? Don’t worry, we can now create super cool shortcodes that’ll hopefully be a little easier to remember!

Tektonic

Talking of selling steam cards, can anyone verify this:

List card for sale, say at 0.11 cents
But type in 0.111 cents
Watch as steam now thinks you are selling for 11$
Add another 1, to make it 0.1111 cents. You are now selling for 0.11 cents

In 15 days.

Annubis

I just realized that with the new market holding, people will put the Summer Sale cards on the market only for them to disappear because the sale will end before the cards are actually put on the market.

*slow clap*

Tektonic

Also; without double posting,

Thanks Jshackles for the idle memories. Good times were had buying games from out of thin air. Now we can idle our games by, actually playing them*

* just kidding. Backlog for life!

Red Hood

Banned
Yeah they change those:

Code:
HIT25 *

*The voucher code looks a little shorter than usual, right? Don’t worry, we can now create super cool shortcodes that’ll hopefully be a little easier to remember!

But whenever I try to enter the MAR20 voucher it gives this error
"Unable to add voucher. If you are trying to use a gift card, please ensure you have entered a 25-character code. If you are using a voucher, enter an 18-character code"
which seems to imply the longer codes are still in use, but the homepage only shows the smaller MAR20.

Red Hood

Banned
wait, i've been out of the loop

is valve ruining card sales?

If you don't have a mobile authenticator (or are dealing with someone who doesn't have it), you have to wait 15 days for market transactions instead of the usual 3 days. But trading cards will still be 3 days without a mobile authenticator, so that doesn't change.

Other than that it stays the same.

Volimar

Big thanks to jshackles for all the work on idlemaster. To be honest I probably would have written off most of those games' cards if not for you so thanks again.

KingKong

The people that have gaming PCs and play steam games and use the market but don't have a smartphone are a strange demographic

What about people who have poor quality connections?
Or, what if their servers aren't up to the task? I really dislike the idea of forced streaming for cutscenes in a single player game.

Someone with poor quality internet probably wouldn't be able to download a 100gb+ game or whatever size it may end up. It's good to have an option for sure, but people losing their minds like this is the end of the world is dumb.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The people that have gaming PCs and play steam games and use the market but don't have a smartphone are a strange demographic

I've got a smartphone and am happy to use it but the mobile authenticator stopped working for me. The phone app would make me login (annoying enough, since I use a password manager) and then when I signed it it'd ask me to get a two-factor auth code from the mobile authenticator. Which is what I was trying to do. So I turned it off.

I think jshackles has a smartphone but has some issues with his provider that prevent him from using the mobile auth.

I have a smartphone, but I dont want to use an authenticator every time I turn on my PC or change it.

You rarely need to use it on your PC client.

Where it becomes a giant pain in the neck is when Valve starts making your browser cookies expire and requires a re-login. I've had it prompt me for the authenticator code cause I had to re-login 3 times during a 12 hour window and every time I went to go use the Steam app on iOS, I was greeted with the "hey, you need to log in on this phone too... please provide the auth code from the app you can't log into now."

I think jshackles has a smartphone but has some issues with his provider that prevent him from using the mobile auth.

Or he's got a Windows phone.

zkylon

zkylewd
If you don't have a mobile authenticator (or are dealing with someone who doesn't have it), you have to wait 15 days for market transactions instead of the usual 3 days. But trading cards will still be 3 days without a mobile authenticator, so that doesn't change.

Other than that it stays the same.

that's very disappointing but whatever, i barely bother with cards anymore

fertygo

Really sad to hear about Idlemaster :(

I have no problem with Mobile auth and using it for both steam and battle.net auth (the battle net auth is better btw) so the change only gonna benefit me, as anecdotal case.

RIP Card money :(

Someone with poor quality internet probably wouldn't be able to download a 100gb+ game or whatever size it may end up. It's good to have an option for sure, but people losing their minds like this is the end of the world is dumb.

It's not the same. Downloading a big game with a poor internet connection only means that it'll take longer. Having to stream video means that it will either stutter or be loading for ages.

fenners

Thanks Veggie, I will! I feel better already seeing all the well-wishes on the Steam announcement, since they're drowning out most of the bad/toxic comments.

Thanks for all the work you've done on it, totally been a great help to earning 'free' money.

zkylon

zkylewd
offtopic question but maybe someone here can answer

is there like an android app that you can use to sketch like game levels or whatever on the train?

it doesn't have to be a drawing app, it needs to be something more like a tilemap level editor or something like that.

i should probably just take a notebook with me but taking it out of my bag takes time and my train ride isn't that long and i just want to be able to doodle a quick level if it comes to my head

i guess i'll end up making my own ;_;

offtopic question but maybe someone here can answer

is there like an android app that you can use to sketch like game levels or whatever on the train?

it doesn't have to be a drawing app, it needs to be something more like a tilemap level editor or something like that.

i should probably just take a notebook with me but taking it out of my bag takes time and my train ride isn't that long and i just want to be able to doodle a quick level if it comes to my head

i guess i'll end up making my own ;_;

There should be some like pixel thing on android somewhere but, I am not too sure.

Thanks for all the idling.

I'll probably keep using it until it breaks.
If that happens, I'll probably go back to idling through SAM like some sort of savage.
The problem with SAM is I understand you would have to switch games manually.

If you're not scared of something more complicated (command line only, no GUI) there is ArchiSteamFarm though for now I don't need a lot of its useful features (multi account support, works on linux and I believe can be stuck onto a raspberry pi for low energy idling).

It's the Zune video store all over again :( At least that had the excuse of actually shutting down...

Lol, I was looking at the upcoming releases and noticed this

8fb60e1a28.jpg
I'm reminded of when people found they could put anything as a version number for their guide on gamefaqs so instead of having things like 0.7 or complete you started having version numbers named after characters in the game.

Build a Greenlight Bundle #40 can be pre-ordered

https://groupees.com/bagb40
Game in BG is RPG Fighter League. Sounds pretty over ambitious but I wouldn't mind a colosseum mode only RPG (wait, don't I already play Final Fantasy Record Keeper?)...

As for these bundles. Groupees chatbot says:
604/626 Greenlight games featured on Groupees have been greenlit or released.
I'd prefer to know how many have actually been released. For example I'm still waiting on LEAVE HOME and QRTH-PHYL (both greenlit) which were the reason I purchased the build a greenlight bundle 8 they were in to begin with. Well I suppose that bundle had Angels of Fasaria which I enjoyed for being such a terrible RPGmaker game, Pirate's Deck which took a very bizarre turn when when people ran it and found a 3D game called Spacewar called instead of the tower defence game they voted for and some other things which were not quite as bad.

r3n4ud

Thanks JS for the greatness that is IM. What you did for all Steam users was simply amazing and you continue to do so with ES.

Like many others, I shall be bowing out of card selling since the authenticator is a piece of shit. Valve continues to surprise me, in a bad way.

You rarely need to use it on your PC client.

Where it becomes a giant pain in the neck is when Valve starts making your browser cookies expire and requires a re-login. I've had it prompt me for the authenticator code cause I had to re-login 3 times during a 12 hour window and every time I went to go use the Steam app on iOS, I was greeted with the "hey, you need to log in on this phone too... please provide the auth code from the app you can't log into now."

Yeah that part annoys me the most. It seems to only keep me logged in for about 6 hours. I pretty much always have the Steam app running on my phone just so I can quickly log in or confirm trades (which I get about once every hour or two).

sadblob

This authenticator stuff is getting out of hands, I use it just to avoid the restrictions in everything, but it's a complete pain in the ass having to put in a code every time you log out of Steam (or your browser does it), or want to log in with another device.
Also confirming the high-value sales you want to do is annoying, I had to do it 3 times, can't imagine when you are someone buying and selling a lot of stuff.

Did Bandai-Namco raise the price of Dark Souls 3 in some regions?

In the morning it was 188RMB in China, about 28$.
Now its 246, which is about 37$...

Edit: Yeah. They raised it:

https://steamdb.info/app/374320/

It's the other way around here in Indonesia.
Originally, it was Rp 778.000 ($58), not it's Rp 587.000 ($44).

It's interesting though. Has there been a similar case(s) like this in the past?
What happens to people who've already bought it at the original price? Will they get a change?

It's the other way around here in Indonesia.
Originally, it was Rp 778.000 ($58), not it's Rp 587.000 ($44).

I hope it goes down again.

Wonder what happened. Did Bandai-Namco see the Three Kingdoms Sales and see that games sell for 60$ in China too?

I actually just noticed, because today morning I was wondering if I should preorder it, then just now wanted to preorder it and see they raised the price...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom