• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vuze

what happens if you lose your phone or it gets stolen

you lose your steam account?

RIP
I think you can generate some offline codes or whatever for that case. Well unless the thief manages to generate new ones before you can enter one of yours probably kek

Sarcasm

RIP

Recover code perhaps just maybe you know. Like other authentication apps (blizzard etc).

I don't even disconnect them when I get new phones or when I hard reset the phone.

Can even remote hard reset my phone.

Jawmuncher

Not sure how the performance ended up, but a damn shame that the DLC pack never made it over from X1. Jawmuncher would've reallllly liked that.

I thought you really needed a mouse, man.
Last I knew, you hadn't won one yet either.

The DR3 hyper combo DLC was the best part of the game. Even if Regina wasn't in it. Was well worth 10 dollars. I'd buy it on PC again just for that. I think it would be smart to release it as a standalone game at the same price. With maybe some sort of loyalty discount on it if you own the base game.

Adry9

DX12 confirmed for Hitman at launch. I hope that helps with the frame drops caused by the crowds in the beta.

gelf

The DR3 hyper combo DLC was the best part of the game. Even if Regina wasn't in it. Was well worth 10 dollars. I'd buy it on PC again just for that. I think it would be smart to release it as a standalone game at the same price. With maybe some sort of loyalty discount on it if you own the base game.
I would probably buy DR3 just to access that DLC. It's a bummer that it didn't make it to PC. Without it I don't really care enough about the game.

Ludens

Banned

RIP

Basically, yes.
This is the reason I wrote this authenticator thing is a bullshit.
Because there are more chances to lose your phone than being scammed.

pahamrick

Basically, yes.
This is the reason I wrote this authenticator thing is a bullshit.
Because there are more chances to lose your phone than being scammed.

But when you set up the mobile authenticator you get a recovery code that you can use to regain access and remove the authenticator incase of situations like that.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Starwolf_UK, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Starwolf_UK, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

BADLAND: Game of the Year Edition -- MB-602C285031CA0BA3 - Taken by Ludens. 25 entrants total.
Adventures of Shuggy -- MB-7F38A6D69E91AC11 - Taken by Smash88. 1 entrants total.
Space Drifters 2D -- MB-024463EA053E7560 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 3 entrants total.
Teslagrad -- MB-646F6807ADEFC107 - Taken by Haunted. 15 entrants total.
Sword 'N' Board -- MB-900D457D1F9044CE - Taken by Kuroyume. 9 entrants total.
Space Pilgrim Episode One: Alpha Centauri -- MB-DA44ED6281FA9245 - Taken by Catshade. 2 entrants total.
The Extinction -- MB-1091B91FFAD55310 - Taken by Sarcasm. 3 entrants total.
The Ball -- MB-DC6F186CF316578D - Taken by bloke. 8 entrants total.
The Deer God -- MB-C6B401BDCB96DA4C - Taken by Purkake4. 5 entrants total.
Dwarfs!? -- MB-FF21F7247A7C9025
PixelJunk: Eden -- MB-BC7FCBE783D9CEF9 - Taken by UnderWaterTree. 2 entrants total.
Mines of Mars -- MB-287E42E5232262B5 - Taken by rainking187. 6 entrants total.

t1457188037z1.png

Anteater

I use a prepaid throwaway SIM card that I sometimes forget to renew, and a smart phone that I don't take care of and never upgrade, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea for me

I actually don't even remember my phone number

Ludens

Banned
Do Steam sms messages cost you credit? + anyone know the country code to use for Ireland to set up the mobile authenticator?

They shouldn't cost you credit, at least SMS from Origin and Humble cost me nothing.
But I never checked honestly.
Valve should just implement this SMS authy thing regardless, they can afford it.

But when you set up the mobile authenticator you get a recovery code that you can use to regain access and remove the authenticator incase of situations like that.

Yup, but if you look in the Steam mobile community hub, there are people with this problem: they lost access to their phone, they still have the authenticator byt for some reason it stopped working and they can't access the recovery code.
Yes, shame on them because they didn't write it down, but the fact is this app works like crap. Some people can't even receive the SMS activation code.

Yup, but if you look in the Steam mobile community hub, there are people with this problem: they lost access to their phone, they still have the authenticator byt for some reason it stopped working and they can't access the recovery code.
Yes, shame on them because they didn't write it down, but the fact is this app works like crap. Some people can't even receive the SMS activation code.

Uh, I don't think you can blame the company if someone doesn't understand how 2FA works and didn't backup authenticator recovery codes. But even if that happens they say they'll verify by SMS. If that doesn't work they ask that you have access to the Steam account email. And if even that doesn't happen then they ask for proof of ownership before unlocking your account. That last stage might be ridiculously slow given the state of Steam support as it is, but I don't see what else they can do to provide contingencies for a case where someone loses their authenticator, doesn't have recovery codes, can't receive SMS messages and doesn't have their email account either.

In case anyone doesn't get the reference.

Red Faction Guerrilla was a fun game. I wish more games explored destruction mechanics in the way they did.
I was confused by iosefe but now I get it. Haha.
The destruction system is all the game has going for it, as far as I'm concerned, and it ultimately wasn't enough for me.
I already noticed story/writing not being much of a focus the way I became a rebel so quickly at the start. Gameplay is top-notch though.

Ludens

Banned
Uh, I don't think you can blame the company if someone doesn't understand how 2FA works and didn't backup authenticator recovery codes. But even if that happens they say they'll verify by SMS. If that doesn't work they ask that you have access to the Steam account email. And if even that doesn't happen then they ask for proof of ownership before unlocking your account. That last stage might be ridiculously slow given the state of Steam support as it is, but I don't see what else they can do to provide contingencies for a case where someone loses their authenticator, doesn't have recovery codes, can't receive SMS messages and doesn't have their email account either.

Dunno, I was just reporting what I read on steam community mobile hub: plenty of people who can't access their accounts for several reasons.

First giveaway. Good luck GAF.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Johan Liebert, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic -- MB-31B35A8E5D6D60FF - Taken by Ventara
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords -- MB-9C4C05EBB2D967F4 - Taken by ExoSoul

So I started Ghostbusters: The Video Game in light of the new trailer. Really not feeling it so far. Seems like way too much fanservice and not enough actual story.

Spares:
ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (SockyJohnson, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition -- MB-DA3DDA022CFC3A5E - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 1 entrants total.
This War of Mine -- MB-C7B7E81A7333E8EB - Taken by Ludens. 10 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for This War of Mine was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1457189239z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

One of the best platformer EVER -- MB-25C15570F7D966C6 - Taken by crazyrabbits

yeah, it reused quite a few things from the films

I don't know. The gameplay is serviceable, but the story is so bad. I mean, I knew going in that Bill Murray didn't really give a shit, and now I see why. The setpieces (which so far, have been recreations of parts from the films) are written in a winking sort of way, like they're trying to subvert it by having characters say how absurd it is, but it just doesn't work at all.

The most amusing thing I've seen so far is the Vigo Easter Egg in the firehouse, which has a surprisingly-large amount of dialogue (and even sounds like it's voiced by Max Von Sydow!)

EDIT: Modbot pls

VRXKC-PQQZ2-P9TRC

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Sparta: War of Empires Starter Pack -- MB-638736AFCE9CB45E

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.

ModBot Basics:

Forsaken World Owlie Pet Companion -- MB-B13F966B83C1EED7 - Taken by ExoSoul

LordAmused

- better multithreading
- increased performance where CPU bound
- better experiences for laptop gamers
- asynchronous compute on AMD cards for significant performance gains

I see Nvidia completely missed the boat on this one. Does AMD have a deal with Square Enix?

Dr Dogg

Doing this manually is just a band-aid on a gushing wound. It's a real joke that they didn't have measures in place at launch. Just give people the loss if they disconnect.

Doing it anyway manually is an inefficient use of resources that could be better spent implementing a system to automate the process. When I saw that blog post saying 'send us a bunch of videos' I couldn't believe that's even an approach they were going for. A human has to sit, watch and validate each video and then determine if said person disconnected genuinely or on purpose for their own gain. Times that by the amount they would have been sent and that's a catastrophic waste of manpower. Either they do not have a system in place to collect, analyse and determine connection status on a match by match, player by player basis automatically within their collected data points (like usernames, outcome of the result, rankings, league points, win streaks etc), they don't know how to implement this or didn't think to implement this. Either way that and their solution speaks volumes about how fudged together some of Capcom's decisions have been. I just hope they learn from their mistakes.

Nzyme32

RIP

You are supposed to save the "emergency" code, and make a few spares using the generator thing. Problem for me is I will always forget where I stored them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom