• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

There are two instances in Dark Souls 2 where durability was an issue for me.
I think the very first broken sword or whatever broke down for me.
And at the very last dlc boss with the
two kitties
I had to take an extra sword with me on the second primary slot.

Katana's are pretty fragile I think. I never use them so I wouldn't know how it all plays.

Volimar

Wake up, take muscle relaxer and am immediately sleepy again. If I was on this all the time I'd be sleeping 20 hours a day. Take care of your back, kids.

Hes awesome. I took it upon myself over last 2 christmases to gift as many marvel heroes gaffers as possible. Ive spenr a fair amount on that game to put it lightly haha

The day Queen leaves MH is the day they close shop. Can't take a financial hit like that.

Eh, had to restart story in DR2. Time was just not enough to get the Lightsaber card or level up more. So I kept getting my ass handed to me.
Played an hour in NG(+) now, got the Lightsaber card but man, this system frustrates me. It shouldn't be needed to restart to get over a boss. I don't like replaying. Level 16 by now and still moving lame as a duck, health gets down way too fast, getting grappled blows, no frikin' dodge or sprint. Eurgh, I want to love the game. I give it patience but the frustrating parts are so damn frustrating. Every idiot NPC has ten times the health and unlimited ammo/unbreakable weapons. Having a rough start is something but this sucks. It could have been so much more fun without these idiotic mechanics.

Anteater

Hes awesome. I took it upon myself over last 2 christmases to gift as many marvel heroes gaffers as possible. Ive spenr a fair amount on that game to put it lightly haha

tumblr_mjd04ibdur1r2s8gs7a.gif

Jawmuncher

Eh, had to restart story in DR2. Time was just not enough to get the Lightsaber card or level up more. So I kept getting my ass handed to me.
Played an hour in NG(+) now, got the Lightsaber card but man, this system frustrates me. It shouldn't be needed to restart to get over a boss. I don't like replaying. Level 16 by now and still moving lame as a duck, health gets down way too fast, getting grappled blows, no frikin' dodge or sprint. Eurgh, I want to love the game. I give it patience but the frustrating parts are so damn frustrating. Every idiot NPC has ten times the health and unlimited ammo/unbreakable weapons. Having a rough start is something but this sucks. It could have been so much more fun without these idiotic mechanics.

It all depends on how you play. I have never needed to restart a dead rising game. One of my favorite things about the game is that it rewards speed demons over taking your time. Which knowing how you play I can understand your frustration. But now that you have the light saber you're more or less unstoppable. Thing is over powered

It was an exceedingly minor issue that rarely effected players.

That's bullshit, go google search and look at the number of hits. I didn't really have a problem with it myself once I reinforced my weapons and leveled my character up a little bit, but it was a really LARGE issue with SotFS because of the increased enemy count.

This is probably where my memory of it got jumbled up as I mostly remembered hitting it in FotFG during my SotFS playthrough in 2015. I kind of liked it because it made the game a bit harder, but I can see why a bunch of the less experienced/newer players would have a problem with it.

Where is this coming from? Dark Souls 2 defaulted to and ran at variable framerates up to 60 FPS on PC day one. (Day -3 actually, when I looked at the press build)

It was and is a great PC version.

I think I got my stuff mixed up because I did a lot of playing of the Dark Souls franchise on PC during that year span from DS2 to DS2:SotFS; I put 160h into DS2, put more than 60 into DS1 with your DSfix playing at 60fps (which is probably where I got mixed up) when they patched steamworks into it so I could finally experience the DLC content, then I put another 90h+ into SotFS when it dropped.

So yeah, as I said when Buraindo mentioned it, he was right, it was 60fps from day one, I just got my stuff mixed up, as I already admitted.

Some people just suck at the game.

Yeah, that has nothing to do with it. Especially in SotFS before the issue was patched.

Some of the weapons are fragile as hell though.
There's a whip I can't even use because it breaks after killing 5 enemies.

Very true. They're still kind of fragile, I think the max durability I've seen on an un-upgraded whip was 60. Though whips have a very weird hitbox when it comes to how they do damage, so that may also play a part in how fast they degrade (not just the framerate stuff pre-patch). I recently learned they were useful for dealing with the statues/jars in The Gutter and Black Gulch and I used the one with 40 durability and it was about ready to break after 4-5 statue clusters.

It is called an "old" whip.

Yeah, all whips are like that though. (See above.)

two kitties

Some weapons are pretty fragile though, I imagine katana builds are the worst in that regard.

They are. If you played SotFS before they patched it, you would have weapons break on you if you killed everything (minus the ogre) on the way from 1st to 2nd bonfire in FotFG. Considering how rare repair powder is and the weakness of starting weapons that part of the game had me scrambiling to use anything I could. Morning star, starting weapons, whatever I could. The increased mob counts coupled with the 60fps durability bug could prove rather difficult.

It's people like you that are to blame for what happened with DR3. :(

Hell, I even explained how the system works and gave you tips on the best ways to get the most out of it... but it sounds like you ignored the advice and just tried to plow through the story entirely on your first try and now you're frustrated that you're at the beginning. I bet, if you were playing DR1, you'd be pissed off because the convicts would've killed you and you'd have to restart. :smh:

Go play OTR in sandbox mode or whatever it is, you'll have a better time.

Wait a second, there was a map? Holy crap that sounds useful! XD
Lol, it's one of the first things I saw when I opened the menu.

How does this one compare to 3? I liked that one.

Seems like a bigger game on basically everything. Visuals, combat, size of the world with (eventually) multiple areas to explore in the order you want, the new Castlevania-style map...

It all depends on how you play. I have never needed to restart a dead rising game. One of my favorite things about the game is that it rewards speed demons over taking your time. Which knowing how you play I can understand your frustration. But now that you have the light saber you're more or less unstoppable. Thing is over powered
I know you like to go quickly through games, maybe it's better suited for that mentality. I feel very uneasy not walking around every nook and cranny. Very uneasy. Running from point A to B (more like strolling, that lame movement aASHFGHGH), minutes upon minutes of boring downtime going to a save point or maintenance room. I get frustrated but I love some parts of the game a lot. Never felt so conflicted on a game before. The third might be a better fit despite less colorful world. Oohh-whee, ooh-wee.
It's people like you that are to blame for what happened with DR3. :(

Hell, I even explained how the system works and gave you tips on the best ways to get the most out of it... but it sounds like you ignored the advice and just tried to plow through the story entirely on your first try and now you're frustrated that you're at the beginning. I bet, if you were playing DR1, you'd be pissed off because the convicts would've killed you and you'd have to restart. :smh:
I did follow your tips. Read guides and went for magazines. Found me nice place with many zombies and blasted them for quick PP. It did not help much at that point sadly.

Arthea

Asphyxia is great.
Educational too.

damn, I should have went with The sad story of Emmeline, but I forgot about it and read Written in the Sky instead, it was very
yuri
also it has some adult content and nudity, I thought valve doesn't allow that?
Anyway, it was waste of time, but as it is very short and free, I won't complain, +1 to my 52 games challenge, anyway.

E: for what's worth their 0-5 bar thing is worthless, got a match against someone with 4 bars and had worse lag than a cross the atlantic connection. And on the lounges sometimes you'll get better games against 1 bar than against 3 bars.

i will never understand why some fighting games dont want to use ping numbers instead of bars :/

I know you like to go quickly through games, maybe it's better suited for that mentality. I feel very uneasy not walking around every nook and cranny. Very uneasy. Running from point A to B (more like strolling, that lame movement aASHFGHGH), minutes upon minutes of boring downtime going to a save point or maintenance room. I get frustrated but I love some parts of the game a lot. Never felt so conflicted on a game before. The third might be a better fit despite less colorful world. Oohh-whee, ooh-wee.

This has probably been mentioned but you could use a trainer and freeze the time when you feel the need to do so.

The game really should of let people choose the upgrade order for abilities.

yuraya

two kitties

Katana's are pretty fragile I think. I never use them so I wouldn't know how it all plays.

That ultra greatsword you get for finishing Ivory King DLC is so good.

And it has like 200 durability hitpoints so it instantly becomes a non issue for pve. I'm currently replaying NG+ with that sword and its delicious.

Jawmuncher

I did follow your tips. Read guides and went for magazines. Found me nice place with many zombies and blasted them for quick PP. It did not help much at that point sadly.
Yeah the 3rd game would be better. As the series went on more and more time was given. I beat DR3 with days left on the clock.

This has probably been mentioned but you could use a trainer and freeze the time when you feel the need to do so.

The game really should of let people choose the upgrade order for abilities.
I agree with this. There should of been a better system to get what you want. I went through so much that I never used.

Tizoc

If anyone's looking for a light game to play or interested in PnCs, consider getting Shardlight, it's from Wadjet Eye games

It has a 10% pre-order discount.

Oh I forgot my rant.

I am playing Borderlands TPS with Aurelia. She has a skill tree where in co-op you can offer a contract to another player and you both get a bunch of bonuses. You basically hold the contract out and another player will melee it to accept.

These motherfuckers will stare at it and then walk away. So I chat them explaining what it is and hold it again and they walk up and stare at it and then walk away again.

I wanted to kick them but TPS online is low compared to B2's.

Okay, I am good now.

fantomena

I hope Nioh will have a PC-version. I bet KT is pushing for it, but they are not allowed to say how far they have come into the pushing.

There are two types of people who play the original Dead Rising games (and by original, I mean the games that use the NG+ type carryover for death and restarting you against the clock with your current level).

It basically comes down to the following points:
(1) Do you like the clock and how it creates tension and forces you to be quick, plan routes, and maybe even use the restart NG+ type functionality to get things done? Or do you find the clock annoying because all you really want to do is run around and kill massive hordes of zombies with whatever is lying around?
(2) Are you the type of gamer who is going to get frustrated every time it puts you back at the beginning of the game or do you enjoy going back and doing parts again when you're a higher level?

I think a lot of people see the timer and panic because they can't do everything and they're worried they're fail. Games are mostly designed such that if you die and you made a save, you load from that save and try again; DR tries to break that paradigm by saying "well, you could always go back and start again, but we'll let you keep all your progress in terms of character level so you're more powerful and can handle those parts easier and more efficiently as you learn".

In a way, it reminds me of Spelunky -- there's no saving or levels in Spelunky, so obviously it's not a direct comparison here, but Spelunky encourages players to learn the mechanics, recognize patterns and setups, know how items work, formulate strateg and apply it. When you do something that didn't work or you weren't good enough, you go back to the beginning with that knowledge. DR does this, but actually lets you keep your levels/upgrades -- so you become faster, stronger, etc. AND you have the knowledge to help you do things more efficiently.

Ideally, the best way, I've found, to approach DR (classic, at least) is to do so with a Spelunky mindset: I'm going to die. I'm going to start over. But it's okay, because I love killing zombies, I love exploring this world, and I love leveling up and finding new recipes/NPCs/etc.

Your comment about the NPCs having too much health just reminds me of the people who would try to fight the convicts in DR1 and then get mad when they died and quit playing entirely. Other complaints that save points were out of the way and you had to do so if you wanted the safety of making a save, but that's kind of the whole point with the game design.

It's quite possible you'd like DR2:OTR more, since there's a mode in that which will let you screw around without the pressure of the clock. Without that, you could easily grind an area, explore slowly, and take things at your own pace. I'm not entirely sure how it works though, as I prefer DR2 with Chuck vs. DR2:OTR with Frank, so I never really go into playing that one much. I think it's supposed to be rather buggy, or at least it was on consoles from what a friend of mine kept saying (I think he played on x360).

So. Whats better for a PC?
Red, green or blue LEDs?

I have some blue LEDs for the cooling effect, but wondered if I should get some red LED fans for more power.

I hope Nioh will have a PC-version. I bet KT is pushing for it, but they are not allowed to say how far they have come into the pushing.

K-T said yesterday in their QA, that they have more PC-ports coming. So it could be Nioh, Attack on Titan or even Atelier. They said something after someone asked if they bring the PS3 atelier games to Steam:
"We wont bringt THESE two to PC."

data

So. Whats better for a PC?
Red, green or blue LEDs?

I have some blue LEDs for the cooling effect, but wondered if I should get some red LED fans for more power.

K-T said yesterday in their QA, that they have more PC-ports coming. So it could be Nioh, Attack on Titan or even Atelier. They said something after someone asked if they bring the PS3 atelier games to Steam:
"We wont bringt THESE two to PC."

What does green do?

Pachimari

Lashman were the kind of guy, who were the biggest help, for someone like me, who only started up PC gaming two years ago, and still isn't good, at spotting the latest releases. It's really sad, but I'll keep an eye on his Twitter. Trying to show him my appreciation there as well.

Grief.exe

That's bullshit, go google search and look at the number of hits.

That's clearly confirmation bias. You are searching directly for that issue, then using that evidence to reinforce your argument. People didn't even bother to look for the issue until a month after the game's release.

It's definitely a minor issue in assessing the overall quality of the Dark Souls II port.

If I could step into fallacy for a moment

Some people just suck at the game.

Lashman were the kind of guy, who were the biggest help, for someone like me, who only started up PC gaming two years ago, and still isn't good, at spotting the latest releases. It's really sad, but I'll keep an eye on his Twitter. Trying to show him my appreciation there as well.

Yeah he does post updates, mostly PC-related, on his Twitter so there's that. I guess he'll come back to SteamGAF whenever he's ready. =[

Corpekata

Banned
I always assumed the people that gave lashman shit were being tongue in cheek, didn't think anyone actually was bothered by his posts.

I always assumed the people that gave lashman shit were being tongue in cheek, didn't think anyone actually was bothered by his posts.

Some people behaved in an offending manner against him on twitter under different aliases.

And there were some people who voiced discontent at him for using ";)" in his posts too.

It's what led him to stop interacting in this thread with others except with just links and images.

Did he get banned for that?

Seriously?
He's not banned, he left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom