• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game looks good, but every time I see someone try to use this as a selling point it's a massive turn off for me. Both because it shouldn't really matter, and because a lot of games that I think are fairly mediocre have been overhyped using that logic.

You have to understand that the Harvest Moon franchise has been largely driven into the ground for over a decade now with no signs of recovering. So for one person to resurrect it--and do it well, no less--is nothing short of amazeballs.

Banished is impressive for the same reason; it was a city-builder out before Cities: Skylines brought them back and around the time EA Presents: Sim City (franchise killer) released. And it's very good.

Jazz573

I don't remember any examples of this type of mediocre games that were overhyped except for Undertale.

It doesn't matter in fact, it just blows your mind that a game like this could be made by one man, that doesn't mean that you'll like it if you aren't into Harvest Moon/Rune Factory type of games or plain hate them. It's just a really good game, development facts aside.

latest

The one thing I don't like about Danganronpa it that it's almost too good.

Why is shit like Stardew Valley selling so much, while proper visual novels don't is beyond me. :(

Like how I wonder why GOAT games like Trails in the Sky SC haven't sold much yet :V

Then again, I kinda know the answer to that.

Adnor

Banned
I wonder how much each Harvest Moon sold compared to Stardew Valley. As any HM game sold more than a million units?

Arthea

The one thing I don't like about Danganronpa it that it's almost too good.

Why is shit like Stardew Valley selling so much, while proper visual novels don't is beyond me. :(

aww man
after I finish with Trails (almost there) and Stardew valley (not even close), I'm getting to Dang, and if it's as good as I expect it to be, you'll never hear the end of it, I mean how can it sell so poorly

but you have to understand, there were not even one good HM/RF type of game on PC until now, while there are already many good VNs on PC. Stardew Valley is a big thing because of that and it is a good game.

Like how I wonder why GOAT games like Trails in the Sky SC haven't sold much yet :V

Then again, I kinda know the answer to that.

you do? I still don't, unless you mean humans seem to prefer bad games over good as a general rule.

Harvest Moon's sales have actually been going up of late, now that I've looked it up. Harvest Moon: Connect to a New Land boasted the franchise's best first-week sales at 130k units--not sure what region, though.

From that article, the upper limit for Harvest Moon is about 300k. Again, not sure if that's for a specific region or globally.

But the "into the ground" comment I was making was mostly the franchise's appeal to me, and apparently a lot of others.
Which Hitman should I play, if I have never tried one before?

(I have them all, but will probably only play one :x )
Not Hitman: Absolution
because now you've seen everything you need to see in it.

Arthea

Biggest example for me is Dust. Everything about that game is super janky.

Dust as in Dust: An Elysian Tail?
but that game is good... super janky? like Bethesda levels of super janky?
sorry, couldn't resist

Harvest Moon's sales

I'll be honest, as I said in SV OT, I prefer SV over HM, but I'd take Rune Factory (proper game) over SV no question asked, then again I am an RF person.

Ok now that I've achieved my life long goal of beating SF5 survival mode on normal with one character... I can devote myself to some shorter games until NMS and Dark Souls 3 arrive.

Momodora sounds like it fits that description. I love some 2D side scrollers but I tend to get bored at the 5 hour mark or if there is a silly difficulty spike.

kagamin

Ok now that I've achieved my life long goal of beating SF5 survival mode on normal with one character... I can devote myself to some shorter games until NMS and Dark Souls 3 arrive.

Momodora sounds like it fits that description. I love some 2D side scrollers but I tend to get bored at the 5 hour mark or if there is a silly difficulty spike.

I finished Momodora RUtM no problem without rushing at all at the 4 hour mark (and I'm all ready to hit up NG+), hell I even grinded a little to get a certain item I wanted...

Anteater

I have the first chapter for that tits game

maybe i'll play through it

but I really need to finish these 50 games i have installed

zkylon

zkylewd
i'll buy it for 15

yeah it doesn't have a lot of post processing color filter stuff, game looks so pretty
i like colorful stuff but i also enjoy drab and desaturated stuff quite a lot (like inside llewyn davis) so i'm cool with whatever best suits the situation

for a game that's supposed to feel isolated and claustrophobic and whatever, i kind of want it to look rusty and muddy and bleak, so yeah, i love the dead space 1 look

dead space 1 was such a fantastic game, it's so sad that franchise is dead

Anno

Does combat in the trails game ever...smooth out, I guess? I played the first three or four hours of FC and combat seemed quite difficult when I first encountered a new enemy, so I'd grind for a little bit, hit a level up or a new item and then suddenly it was very easy.

Arthea

Does combat in the trails game ever...smooth out, I guess? I played the first three or four hours of FC and combat seemed quite difficult when I first encountered a new enemy, so I'd grind for a little bit, hit a level up or a new item and then suddenly it was very easy.

Its not particularly easy game, no, but you don't really need to grind, just kill regular enemies in new locations and you level on a go, exploiting weakness helps, also Trails is all about
speed
, you should plan your equipment and orbal magic around this idea, it might be not obvious for newcomers so I mention it, although if you experiment with combat you'll find that on your own.

Anno

Its not particularly easy game, no, but you don't really need to grind, just kill regular enemies in new locations and you level on a go, exploiting weakness helps, also Trails is all about
speed
, you should plan your equipment and orbal magic around this idea, it might be not obvious for newcomers so I mention it, although if you experiment with combat you'll find that on your own.

Okay. Yeah I'm not looking for it to be easy, for sure. It just seems to go from hard to easy really quickly in any individual area. And yeah speed was pretty clearly a crazy important stat from the get-go.

Almost 18hrs in DR2 now, wow. Time flies by. It's fun now. But I need to pause it a bit and play something with more variety. RF Guerrilla, here I come.

I know people are past trading cards these days but this observation made me shrug. So you know how it really sucks when a foil drops and it is practically worthless. Well I've found the ultimate insult in a real fringe case. A foil that is worth less than the normal version of the card. Well, I say worth but I mean the normal version has listings starting at $0.10 and the foil has listings starting at $0.09. I never thought I would see it. That would be a right Monkey Paw wish (wishing for foils would be a bad use of a wish too...).

Vamphuntr

Danganronpa is selling poorly? That sucks, it was really good.

People should really temper their expectation with niche Japanese games on steam. Moreover this one only has an English translation so it cuts a huge chunk of potential sales in Europe, Latin America and Russia. For instance ToZ did well but it has French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese-Brazil and Russian translations.

kagamin

Probably already posted , but PC off-screen footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYcaHvzNXWE

- It rocks, very beautiful, nice particles
- No framedrops
- Old build ( the one from the network test I also tested back in september last year, you can see mine here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n8p6_zZzfs )
- The build was also 30 FPS. None of the Namco people at the event apparently knew wherever the final product would be locked at 30 FPS or not.

I was confused for the first 15 seconds of the video.

I'm playing South Park: The Stick of Truth for the first time and it's amazing. The writing is great, wandering around the streets of south park feels great and the combat is really well done.

I've been more on the consoles lately but I really need to get started with RotTR and Outlast, really looking forward to Outlast in particular.

Grief.exe

Danganronpa is selling poorly? That sucks, it was really good.

Relative to its console release? It's doing fine.

People need to temper their expectations on some of these ports, the studio is likely still seeing a massive revenue gain from their existence.

Messiah

The numbers are fine for such a niche release imo. I can see it gain a lot of traction through word of mouth and sale discounts.

Saty

I've been saving Steamspy data per month (e.g. Dec 1st till Jan 1st for the month of December) to look at how specific titles sell on a monthly basis and to examine 'legs'.

Title: 1st-month 2nd-month etc. Here's an example for some. Data is up to March 1st.

Code:
[B]R6 Siege[/B]: 260,957   111,060    69,960
[B]Hurtworld[/B]: 198,713  54,554   66,363
[B]Squad[/B]: 90,892   50,757   20,648
[B]LIGHTNING RETURNS™: FINAL FANTASY® XIII[/B]:  63,676   13,250   2,777
[B]GUILTY GEAR Xrd -SIGN-[/B]: 52,347   6,479   3,835

I've been saving Steamspy data per month (e.g. Dec 1st till Jan 1st for the month of December) to look at how specific titles sell on a monthly basis and to examine 'legs'.

Title: 1st-month 2nd-month etc. Here's an example for some. Data is up to March 1st.

Code:
[B]R6 Siege[/B]: 260,957   111,060    69,960
[B]Hurtworld[/B]: 198,713  54,554   66,363
[B]Squad[/B]: 90,892   50,757   20,648
[B]LIGHTNING RETURNS™: FINAL FANTASY® XIII[/B]:  63,676   13,250   2,777
[B]GUILTY GEAR Xrd -SIGN-[/B]: 52,347   6,479   3,835

LR will be nice to see this month, how much its selling thanks to the sale.

I own DR on Vita and even though I loved it I don't really see a reason to double dip. It's the kind of game that is pretty pointless to replay and it's something I'd actually rather play on a portable.

Hm, I should dedicate some more time to LR to see if it grabs me.
I also need to get back to Type-0 now that I think about it...

Jawmuncher

I own DR on Vita and even though I loved it I don't really see a reason to double dip. It's the kind of game that is pretty pointless to replay and it's something I'd actually rather play on a portable.

Same reasoning here. If they port another episode over I'll buy that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom