• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Comprehensive write up concerning the current state of development of Star Citizen from the Space Games thread.

SC alpha 2.2 was just released, its basically a mini persistent universe in a single system where you can play with people and friends up to 24 players. Every month is suppose to have a large patch update with 2.3 coming end of this month
-includes seamless FPS/ship combat/zero G gameplay
-hostility system
-small handful of missions to take on
-multicrew ships

-shopping/customization for personal character coming 2.4 or 2.5

They are working on seamless space to planet gameplay like NMS which may get released end of year but no solid announcement yet

SQ42 is due end of 2016 which is most likely going to get pushed back to spring/summer 2017

after many attempts I think im getting into dark souls 2....beat two bosses so far....then fell off a cliff on my way to the third and lost 17000 souls.

fuck this.
There will be a time you won't find it worth even collecting those back again ;)
Keep at it. Dark Souls 2 is a great game which opens up more the more you play. Soon you'll help others as a summon and beat bosses blindfolded.

Which Hitman should I play, if I have never tried one before?

(I have them all, but will probably only play one :x )

Most people will probably answer this with Blood Money but even though it was the peak of the series, the game is a few years old now. It hasn't aged well and might be hard for you to get into.

You would probably enjoy Absolution, maybe even think it's great, but if you go into the older games in the series you have to know that the Hitman games have always been sort of clunky, kinda flawed games with a really neat idea at its core of social stealth. You hide in plain sight rather than crouch walking everywhere or hiding in shadows. Each level is a sandbox with its own set of rules and half the fun is playing and re-playing levels until you learn all of the rules, what disguises will get you where, how you can move through a level without ever being seen and murder your target and make it look entirely like an accident.

Silent Assassin is where the series started to hit its stride, Contracts was a kind of a re-hash of the first game but overall was an improvement, while Blood Money was sort of the series apex.

I'd say give Blood Money a shot but if you find it too hard to get into, give Absolution a try. You have no real preconceptions about the series, so you'd probably like it.

FoneBone

Humble Bundle leftover for anyone who doesn't already have it:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FoneBone, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Never Alone Plus Foxtales DLC -- MB-0BB1E8F2E3CEAC6B - Taken by texhnolyze. 5 entrants total.

t1457333246z1.png

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Stardew Valley's word of mouth sales seem insane

The game has proceeded to sell 30,000 copies a day, and sometimes more. And this is even before four player co-op is being added later this year, which is a huge word of mouth and group-buy amplifier.

The game is currently over 266,000 copies. If the game keeps up its astonishingly consistent sales pattern - and currently it's actually increasing - it would end up at 1 million copies by the end of the month.

And as others have pointed out in the thread, that's only counting Steam copies of the game.

Most people will probably answer this with Blood Money but even though it was the peak of the series, the game is 11 years old. It hasn't aged well and might be hard for you to get into.

You would probably enjoy Absolution, maybe even think it's great, but if you go into the older games in the series you have to know that the Hitman games have always been sort of clunky, kinda flawed games with a really neat idea at its core of social stealth. You hide in plain sight rather than crouch walking everywhere or hiding in shadows. Each level is a sandbox with its own set of rules and half the fun is playing and re-playing levels until you learn all of the rules, what disguises will get you where, how you can move through a level without ever being seen and murder your target and make it look entirely like an accident.

Silent Assassin is where the series started to hit its stride, Contracts was a kind of a re-hash of the first game but overall was an improvement, while Blood Money was sort of the series apex.

I'd say give Blood Money a shot but if you find it too hard to get into, give Absolution a try. You have no real preconceptions about the series, so you'd probably like it.

Absolution's disguise system is infuriating and the detection mechanic is inconsistent/arbitrary. It's also a very bumbling action game which makes firefighting through levels a complete chore, and the opposite--total stealth assassinations--are nigh impossible unless you spend hours scouring a level to find, like, a hair comb and the exact chair it can be inserted into to murder the target (at which point it becomes a puzzle/maze of invisible detection radiuses). It would be a lot more satisfying if it dedicated itself to either action or stealth, rather than the horrible in-between it sits at.

Hitman: Absolution is a cavalcade of bad decisions. It has much to atone for.

I finished Momodora RUtM no problem without rushing at all at the 4 hour mark (and I'm all ready to hit up NG+), hell I even grinded a little to get a certain item I wanted...

I really like the sound of that. That sounds much better than all the work I planned to get done tonight.

ok so basically
it's like the hunger games meets far cry
  • you and 15 others are dropped into an island (free-for-all or 8xteams of 2)
  • you gather supplies like weapons and tools that help you hunt down others
  • you can find crates and shit to open in game for shit (not csgo like actual crates)
  • there's random air drops that annnounce where they're going so the players converge if they know the location, otherwise they search for it (no map or objective markers, just a compass)
  • if you can pick it up, you can kill someone with it

also, animations are really well done from what i can see, it runs great, and there's a lot of unlockable character customization items

zkylon

zkylewd
I know TitS:FC has an abysmal 'finish the game' rate but I'm wondering about PoE.
I recall it being said that most people never finished the BG games.

the difference between the two is the structure tho

tits games are just linear jrpg things that you have to play one after the other

pillars is just selling expansion packs so you can not finish the game and still safely play those

Instro

Talos Principle for $10 was tempting, but I caved and bought the new hotness Stardew Valley. I'll have to grab Talos when it's on sale another time.

Kind of fell into the same thought process. Not that I bought anything else, but by the time I actually go to load up Talos, it will likely be on sale again at the same price or cheaper.

I tried the Star Citizen 2.2 update yesterday and today, the game is fun to play now. Getting out of the ship in the middle of nowhere while other people blast each other to pieces is one of my favourite activities.

I got an Avenger, its gun is almost as big as the ship.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah talos is pretty alright

i don't think it's quite as good as i hoped for but it's a decent puzzle game

i didn't care for the story at all and it also gave me motion sickness and some of the puzzles had red herrings and timing based stuff that left a really bad taste in my mouth but other than that it was perfectly enjoyable

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Finished Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight

Great Metroidvania meets Soul games. The controllers are tight and difficulty felt fair and any mess up are basically your own fault. As you progress through the game things just gets better in terms of locales, upgrades and bosses. Finished with 97% of the map so I have to do New Game Plus for sure to go for the 100% plus find any things I may have missed on my first run. Also I have another ending to get in NG+.

Definitely worth the price of admission and absolutely recommended. Perhaps one of the best games on it's genre.

is that a real question or you just wanted to take advantage of the situation to say portal 2 was bad?
Both.

I guess a better way to phrase my question question is more like, is the Talos campaign just the tutorial for the real puzzles, or is it the main part of the game?

Corpekata

Banned
The campaign is integrated, but it's not really as story heavy as either Portal game. It's largely just voice overs to listen to when entering new areas, save for a few moments like the last area.

The campaign is integrated, but it's not really as story heavy as either Portal game. It's largely just voice overs to listen to when entering new areas, save for a few moments like the last area.

Good.

I've noticed that I need story in my puzzle games, to drive my desire to finish them.

zkylon

zkylewd
Both.

I guess a better way to phrase my question question is more like, is the Talos campaign just the tutorial for the real puzzles, or is it the main part of the game?

idk about the dlc but basically the campaign is the puzzles, kind of like portal but less story-heavy and linear and fun

the story stuff lost me pretty quick but there's some cool atmosphere and mystery to drive you if you need something like that

Start your watch, watchmen. It's time to prepare for the xeno hordes... and Overwatch.
Edit: 'Zelda Meets Diablo' perked my ears up more than the Overwatch ad. I blame them for putting watch in the blurb.

Teggy

It's been 18 months since the Nvidia 900 series was launched. Not that I'm impatiently waiting for new cards or anything.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is Talos better than Portal 1, or more like Portal 2? You know, bad.

It's longer than both combined, and I think ultimately better than both. I'm not sure the heights of individual puzzles match the best moments of Portal, but the amount of content combined with the well-executed meta-story and just consistently high content quality secures it as a better game than either for me.

I also replayed Portal 1 a month or so ago (on the Steam Controller, which Portal does not support can you fucking believe how bad Valve is) so I have a pretty fresh point of comparison.

Soulflarz

Banned
Why don't you just sell those extra XBones flarz? :p

?
My Elite was a Christmas gift...I'm uhm, not selling my Christmas gifts.

My one from best buy I'm selling to a friend who missed the deal for $250, and I dunno what I'll do with the laptop, I'm currently down $60

Momentary

Banned
Damn I feel like Monodora was well worth the 9 bucks. Such a great nostalgic feeling playing that game. It had awesome mechanics and music. The one down side was the length. I know the developers are indie, but the game is so good, you don't want it to stop.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Damn I feel like Monodora was well worth the 9 bucks. Such a great nostalgic feeling playing that game. It had awesome mechanics and music. The one down side was the length. I know the developers are indie, but the game is so good, you don't want it to stop.

How long is it? III was quite short

Hektor

def gonna preorder it

those characters man

straight outta league

so good

Yeah, i really like the character designs. They're the only thing i know about this game. Tho, i wouldn't say that they're straight out of league because their styles have consistency.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, i really like the character designs. They're the only thing i know about this game. Tho, i wouldn't say that they're straight out of league because their styles have consistency.
league character styles have consistency, at least the ones they've released since i've started playing (that would be after league became huge and took over the universe). the older ones are really ugly and dumb but you know, that's old stuff and they're straightening them out one by one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom