• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnor

Banned
OfzIYFq.png

Steam has too many games.

Q45Us08.png

Agreed. And I haven't even viewed 2000 games on my queue.

bbd23

I keep dying at No-Mans Wharf and im running out of torch time rofl

those god damn darkdwellers are scaring the crap out of me. fuck those sounds man.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Looking at last month's Humble Monthly reaffirms my commitment to not purchasing a subscription. Don't think I would have wanted anything on that list. Stick of Truth with this month's is a great game though.

Pakkidis

Question time

If I download a F2P game, buy dlc for it and then erase the F2P game from my library, does the game still show up in my library?

^^
Looks a bit dishonored-y.
I keep dying at No-Mans Wharf and im running out of torch time rofl

those god damn darkdwellers are scaring the crap out of me. fuck those sounds man.
It's one of the few regions where a torch is super handy. Pro-Tip (mild spoiler):
you can activate lights there via pharros stones so you don't have to use your torch all the time
I just bought Bedlam a few days ago and now its on sale as a weekly special :/
NeverBuyAGameUnlessBundle holds true once again.
OfzIYFq.png

Steam has too many games.
Just this weekend I started going through the queue since I know there are great games I never heard of.
With that little experience (~700 games) I am confident to say there are more trash-y unpolished hobby "games" on Steam than I even imagined.
And yet the amount of great games is ginormous. Never-ending backwards compatibility truly is one of the biggest boons of PC gaming. Not even mentioning getting free* remasters at the same time.

Vuze

Stumbled across this on reddit earlier and it already saved me some minutes today alone, so I thought I'd share.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comm...ase_get_something_like_this_to_open_a/d0q5wf3

This bookmark will open the current store page in the Steam client when you use it. If you're always getting logged out of Steam in your browser like me, you might want to look into this.

I think somebody in the thread also integrated it into Enhanced Steam and create a pull request, so it might pop up for users of the extension soon enough.

So regarding game achievements, what makes you count as a player, bootup or idling? I thinking it is the former. I'm just wondering because using Raining Blobs* score 1 million points achievement and the leaderboards to verify this (normal only as easy doesn't trigger it) we see that the achievement earned by 1.5% of the players has been obtained by 21 players thus there are 1400 players total.

Now the indiegala bundle it is part of has sold around 6000 units (though we can't assume all keys are redeemed) and the Steam Spy power level is around 5000.

If I could be bothered to boot the game up again I could cross correlate with the clear arcade mode achievements to check my total players number. That is a sober thought though 3/4 of owners have yet to boot the game up for reals. Of course such is the side effect of trading card idling. Unless of course idling counts as players in which case...how bad are people's card backlogs *glares at 71 card drops remaining, 19 games left to idle*

*-Graphically and sound-wise you might think Puyo Puyo but it is bit more like Super puzzle fighter in that you need special blocks to destroy blocks, of course it is like saying modern fps games are like doom with regenerating health. I'm not sure it works as well as either of those. I think the toughness of the achievements is what will keep me coming back but I'm pleased for getting it in the indiegala bundle as I missed the indiegamestand it was in years ago (I saw the e-mail but never bought it).

How Steam key reselling is killing the little guys

IndieGameStand has had $30,759.42 in fraudulent credit card charges and transactions.
Ouch. Regarding the the backend API tool comment to flag fraudulent keys I think what is the incentive for Valve as in Valve would rather you buy games through Steam and honestly I'm surprised Steam Keys have remained free but I feel bigger publishers that still bother with box releases are the people ensuring this happens. On the other hand I thought Valve could revoke keys if you said they were stolen. Of course I want to know what the end user experiences when a key is revoked (these services usually have game vanishing with no explanation).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think somebody in the thread also integrated it into Enhanced Steam and create a pull request, so it might pop up for users of the extension soon enough.

Yes, that pull request has been approved and this will show up in the next release of Enhanced Steam on app pages.

Wii U shit the bed from the start. There are still people who think it's just a tablet peripheral for the Wii. That's a killer one-two punch of terrible branding and marketing. Although I'd buy one for Beyond Good & Evil 2, along with hundreds--possibly thousands--of other gamers, just like we did Bayonetta 2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Question time

If I download a F2P game, buy dlc for it and then erase the F2P game from my library, does the game still show up in my library?

Yeah. Buying DLC is the only way to tether an F2P game to your library, unless you have a gift copy/retail key, in which it'll function identically to a paid one, +1 and all.

Parsnip

to be fair, Bayonetta 2 being a Wii U exclusive was pretty unusual, too. And Ubisoft did set out to make Rayman Legends and ZombiU Wii U exclusives until the Wii U pooped its pants.
Bayo2 was unusual sure, but I can instantly believe Sega doing that. I mean, it's Sega.
Historically Ubi is always eager to put stuff on new consoles, but I would think that they've learned their lesson now exactly because of WiiU.
At worst it's timed, but I doubt even that.

Yes, that pull request has been approved and this will show up in the next release of Enhanced Steam on app pages.
Any exciting developments on the WebExtension front? I've been keeping an eye on the 1214433 bug on bugzilla which I guess would be the first release that's supposed to land on v48, if I remember right. There are still quite a few bugs open there for 1.0, but I'm curious if there's something specific that blocks ES at the moment?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Any exciting developments on the WebExtension front? I've been keeping an eye on the 1214433 bug on bugzilla which I guess would be the first release that's supposed to land on v48, if I remember right. There are still quite a few bugs open there for 1.0, but I'm curious if there's something specific that blocks ES at the moment?

The bug that's blocking progress at the moment is 1197346, which hasn't had an update in over a month and even then it was a Mozilla developer basically saying "I'm not doing this, I'm hoping some other community contributor will". so that's where it's sat. That bug was opened in August of last year and it's the highest rated WebExtensions Storage API bug out there, mostly because of extensions like Enhanced Steam that can't operate unless the storage API can be accessed from content scripts.

There is a messy workaround as mentioned in the comments, but I've decided it's not worth my time to hack it together to get it to work only to have it (eventually) fixed in their API.

D3RANG3D

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (D3RANG3D, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Blue Rose -- MB-00506CDA5947C391 - Taken by Loptous
Shan Gui -- MB-94BC9D675DB887FE - Taken by Kuroyume

:3

Parsnip

The bug that's blocking progress at the moment is 1197346, which hasn't had an update in over a month and even then it was a Mozilla developer basically saying "I'm not doing this, I'm hoping some other community contributor will". so that's where it's sat. That bug was opened in August of last year and it's the highest rated WebExtensions Storage API bug out there, mostly because of extensions like Enhanced Steam that can't operate unless the storage API can be accessed from content scripts.

There is a messy workaround as mentioned in the comments, but I've decided it's not worth my time to hack it together to get it to work only to have it (eventually) fixed in their API.

Thanks.
Looks like that bug is on the 1.0 list as well, so here's hoping that someone gets on it at some point.

Seems like v48 is slated for summer-ish right now, come on mozilla, make it so.

Arthea

The game I want most for my 4K spot is No Man's Sky - no discount, can't afford at full price.
Second choice would be Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, no discount, too new for that
Third choice could be Cities: Skylines, but I'm waiting for a complete edition, a game + dlcs definitely too expensive for me still
Fourth choice....
etc.
what to do?
maybe I should buy Trulon and be done with it? but what if it sucks? then again NMS can suck also.
what to do?

The game I want most for my 4K spot is No Man's Sky - no discount, can't afford at full price.
Second choice would be Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, no discount, too new for that
Third choice could be Cities: Skylines, but I'm waiting for a complete edition, a game + dlcs definitely too expensive for me still
Fourth choice....
etc.
what to do?
maybe I should buy Trulon and be done with it? but what if it sucks? then again NMS can suck also.
what to do?

Way of the Samurai 3 is coming soon ;)

Messiah

Fourth choice....
etc.
what to do?
what to do?
Remove some games from your account so you postpone this dilemma.

Knurek

Fourth choice....
etc.
what to do?
what to do?

Adventures of Pip

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Fourth choice....
etc.
what to do?
what to do?

NMS wouldn't count as owned, anyway, due to the section_type = ownersonly flag, which isn't removed until release unless the developer elects to have it removed sooner (e.g. The Witness).

I keep forgetting about No Man's Sky's price. I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing.
It's longer than both combined, and I think ultimately better than both. I'm not sure the heights of individual puzzles match the best moments of Portal, but the amount of content combined with the well-executed meta-story and just consistently high content quality secures it as a better game than either for me.

I also replayed Portal 1 a month or so ago (on the Steam Controller, which Portal does not support can you fucking believe how bad Valve is) so I have a pretty fresh point of comparison.
A little late on my reply, but thanks for the in-depth comparison. I'm moving it up a few spots on the ol' wishlist.

And the other thing, well, That's So Valve™.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom