• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Frederic: Evil Strikes Back -- MB-9C378E545C0200E1 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Frederic: Resurrection of Music -- MB-8CFCA1E0A35D2F48 - Taken by Zeeman
Gone in November -- MB-D8A395130E1C431A - Taken by user237
IACTURA -- MB-C506AF0D0534C4F0 - Taken by fuzzy123
Linea, the Game -- MB-8450A6C66C6AB161 - Taken by Wok
Merchants of Kaidan -- MB-51F942D1610AAE28 - Taken by Miniboss
Millie -- MB-4F8906CFF2EFD056 - Taken by dave is ok
Plazma Being -- MB-C59C9AB312AE31C5 - Taken by KainXVIII
Sparkle 2 Evo -- MB-14BE49868C5D6FCB - Taken by Vuze
Sparkle 3 Genesis -- MB-303E7E7110BE73D2 - Taken by Hakkelus
Starship Annihilator -- MB-44C88F20D1EE27EB - Taken by illusionary
Teddy Floppy Ear: Kayaking -- MB-3BA97AD00293A355 - Taken by septicore

xezuru

How does Pillars of Eternity and the new Torment move forward with the more current gen design ethic? Isn't meant to be shitting on anything but for example I played Dragon Age: Origins and loved the choices/character dynamics and such while the combat and questing was "tolerable". I was hoping the same when I played Baldur's Gate 1, but it just turned out to be too "old" for me personally, with combat being a hyperextended fight against thaco (swinging at an enemy 20 times hoping for a hit) and even spellcasting wouldn't help because old 1day spell rulings, in general a lot of headless chickening. I dunno, maybe even Baldur's Gate 2 changed enough to fit my preferences if i'd play it but I really wish there was like Divinity Original Sin world/combat interaction mixed with good writing and characters of other older style rpgs.

Anno

How does Pillars of Eternity and the new Torment move forward with the more current gen design ethic? Isn't meant to be shitting on anything but for example I played Dragon Age: Origins and loved the choices/character dynamics and such while the combat and questing was "tolerable". I was hoping the same when I played Baldur's Gate 1, but it just turned out to be too "old" for me personally, with combat being a hyperextended fight against thaco (swinging at an enemy 20 times hoping for a hit) and even spellcasting wouldn't help because old 1day spell rulings, in general a lot of headless chickening. I dunno, maybe even Baldur's Gate 2 changed enough to fit my preferences if i'd play it but I really wish there was like Divinity Original Sin world/combat interaction mixed with good writing and characters of other older style rpgs.

POE2 is making a few changes (no per-rest spells being the big one), but overall I don't think they intend to change much. There's still a market for people who want isometric RTwP RPGs.

I personally don't want them to change much at all because the first game is already great. Just improve on that base.

MUnited83

For you.
What kind of hardware is/will be required to run it at Switch-like levels?

Hard to say in the end, but you can run many of the great Wii U games at 4K at fullspeed even in mid-tier hardware. If you have a decent CPU you should absolutely be fine.

Kudo

Got Metal Gear Rising running at 4K without having issues with the shadow/lighting mapping.

I'm pretty sure we'll be able to get Nier running at 4K as well if it's locked to 1080p.

How?
Does 1440p work? Interested in playing this but have avoided it because it doesn't support my native res.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I expected Hollow knight to be good ... but played a few hours at a friend's house and .... I didn't expect it to be Ori and the Blind Forest good =O

huh... well, at least youre enjoying it, thats what matters.

Parsnip

This reminded me that I should probably use GameSaveManager more regularly for stuff like that.

Does anyone know if there's a way to automatially sync just those games without Steam Cloud support? Don't really feel like manually going through all games.

No idea, but I've set up GSM to backup all my saves both daily and weekly, and discard older saves of a game that has newer saves at a certain threshold. Works great for my purposes. And I sync those to google drive.

Occasionally I go through the stuff it finds and discard oldest of the old that I will never need again.

Only issue with GSM is that the database doesn't always include everything, so you still might lose saves if you are not careful.

-Deimos

I expected Hollow knight to be good ... but played a few hours at a friend's house and .... I didn't expect it to be Ori and the Blind Forest good =O

LOL at Link's subtle "entering the ground" at the logo scene xD

Instead of his jaw, his entire body dropped from that view.

fallout

Baldur's Gate 1 can be pretty tough to get into. I played BG2 first back when it came out without having played BG1. Later on, I tried playing BG1 and found it to be pretty painful. PoE1 doesn't really hold up to BG2, but it does a decent enough job. That said, based on what you're saying, it might just not be for you.

enbred

Banned
At this point it's more a matter of optimization on the emulator's end. The same rig from that video could also get full speed in Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I'm not watching that video, so I'm clueless what rig it used. Been on BotW media blackout since the January presentation. I even feel bad when I accidentally see a screenshot here or there :p I have a Switch and the game coming but there have been delays in the shipping, don't expect it to be here for another week, if I'm lucky.

Well switch runs max at 900p while CEMU will most likely hit 4K...

CEMU hitting 4K at a good framerate is entirely dependent on your hardware :p

I'm hoping I don't need to get an 8 core cpu but I think I will :(

CEMU is optimized for multi-core? I remember Dolphin being highly dependent on single-threaded performance. I never used either Dolphin or CEMU before though. And I know they've been improving a lot lately.

Hard to say in the end, but you can run many of the great Wii U games at 4K at fullspeed even in mid-tier hardware. If you have a decent CPU you should absolutely be fine.

I have an i5-2500 and a 970, but I was more asking for a friend who has an unremarkable laptop, hence my question about running it at Switch-levels (720p/900p)

Coldsun

Banned
I'm tempted to pick up Farcry 4 and Farcry Primary (to complete my collection on Steam). However, I can't but help feel like I'll regret buying the games.

Another option would be to pick up the Dead Island remasters since they too are on sale but I'm not really feeling it either.

If you can't tell, I have a 50 dollar steam card I won off someone that's burning a hole in my pocket.

Backlogger

I'm tempted to pick up Farcry 4 and Farcry Primary (to complete my collection on Steam). However, I can't but help feel like I'll regret buying the games.

Another option would be to pick up the Dead Island remasters since they too are on sale but I'm not really feeling it either.

If you can't tell, I have a 50 dollar steam card I won off someone that's burning a hole in my pocket.

I enjoyed both games but enjoyed Far Cry Primal a little more. Even though FC4 felt more polished than FC3 I somehow liked FC3 more. I think it's because things didn't change enough between 3 and 4 so it felt like more of the same.

Parsnip

The day Zelda is "perfect" on CEMU is the day I buy it and borrow my brother's console to dump it.

Well, not necessarily that exact day because I'm not always swimming in moneys, but you get the picture.

I haven't played anything since I finished Atelier Sophie. Seems like too much anime may have ruined me. I should probably look into the story bits that happen in the non-localized Sequel Episode dlc. Surely someone must have translated/summarized it somewhere.

Actually maybe the Sophie OT can help me.

Coldsun

Banned
I enjoyed both games but enjoyed Far Cry Primal a little more. Even though FC4 felt more polished than FC3 I somehow liked FC3 more. I think it's because things didn't change enough between 3 and 4 so it felt like more of the same.

If no one sways me the otherway, I guess ill be pulling the trigger on both of them.
Thank you :)

jediyoshi

I want to play some of my game on PC like Xeno X, but setting up Cemu is a pain

If you put aside obligatory stuff like setting up controllers, there's essentially 1 single option you have to regularly account for (which can be changed while the game is running). Everything else is 99% of the time fine on default settings, which is still within single digits. Very straight forward compared to Dolphin/PCSX2.

Regginator

Steam needs to have a feature that you can check whether or not a certain key is already used or not, like GOG does. I have some keys that I want to give away through ModBot, but I'm not sure if they're already redeemed.

I hear you thinking, "just put the key in and if you already own it, you'll can give the key away". But what if I don't own a certain game but I still want to give it away? Wouldn't be possible this way.

Momentary

Banned
How?
Does 1440p work? Interested in playing this but have avoided it because it doesn't support my native res.

Yes. It will even down sample it to your native res if you use DSR. So you'll be able to run the game at 1440p, but it will render at whatever you want.

It does have issues with lighting if you try to render too high. I'll get that tool for you in a bit.

Mivey

WiiU version will probably be hard to find by then.
Probably less than a month, going by the fact that Exzap (the main dev behind CEMU) implemented the necessary stuff to just get it running in a few days. Of course, it could take longer if the reason the physics stuff is not working is more profound. Like how Dolphin used to just hack together stuff before they started to properly reverse engineer the system (which is harder and takes more time, obviously)
How quickly do console games sell out?

You are a shame for SteamGaf

giphy.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I didn't care for what I played of Ori very much, either.

I liked it, I liked it quite a bit in fact, I just think its overrated. Its "just" another one of those with nothing that makes it unique, unless you want to count the horrible "race" sequences that almost ruined the game for me everytime they popped up as unique.

The praise it gets is like Halo praise, its like "this is the first of this genre I've played so of course I think its amazing" praise. This is my opinion of course, you are very welcome to disagree, as I know most do (except Nabs, because he knows whats up).

Durante

But those sequences are the best part.

To me, what makes Ori so great is that it has the most fluid movement mechanics in any Metroidvania, and the timed sequences make that particularly obvious (and satisfying to master).

Nabs

Hey man, don't throw my name in this mess. I like Ori a lot. I don't love the final two sequences, but the escape the tree one was fantastic.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I highly doubt many of the people praising Ori and the Blind Forest had it as their first game of that style, as I recall when it came out and people were comparing it to Super Metroid, various Castlevanias, those open world side scroller Spider-Man games on handhelds, and so forth.

There is also the matter of it's music, it's story telling, it's art style, it's save anywhere feature (even if Bleed did it), it's combat system that didn't interrupt movement for those that hadn't first mastered a game/were speed runners, etc. It has things that let it stand out as unique compared to say again Super Metroid or Shadow Complex visually and mechanically. As an overall package, it stands out for a number of reasons to people, and that shouldn't be dismissed I believe.

Parsnip

I haven't played Ori, and I'm not super interested in doing so either after hearing that it's difficult and has precision platforming or something along those lines.

Anteater

I haven't played Ori, and I'm not super interested in doing so either after hearing that it's difficult and has precision platforming or something along those lines.

it's not difficult, people over exaggerated like they did with guacamelee, i also don't know where those people came from that said they're hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom