• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, just send it to your e-mail address and submit the gift URL as "key". Note that you now have to keep the ?redeemer portion of the URL attached for it to work, so make a junk address if you don't want to give out your own one. I PM'd Stump asking him to update the ModBot guide to reflect this but he forgot. ;)

Actually you can remove the "?redeemer=" part, I always do and haven't had any problems so far.

Lizardus

Well, if that's the case, then they still do care about achievements -- or more specifically, the displaying of them. "I don't care about achievements but I do care about what they represent" is an oxymoron in practice because you can't have the latter without the former.

What I meant is that some people might be OCD about seeing 13/24 instead of 24/24.

Dr Dogg

Yeah, I know. Bragging rights and/or caring what others think about my gaming prowess? meh

Personally for me achievements are not something I'm interested in for bragging rights to display to others, christ I used to have my account to private so I was the only one seeing them. It scratches my completionist's itch, even more so in games where there is no progress counter. They are a bit silly but some do encourage you to do something different in game you might not try (like that evil Lone Wolf achievement in XCOM).

But as with all good things someone has to spoil it for others.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Thanks for that.

Random prediction, The Forest will suck. I'm not sure why, it just has that smell about it. I think it will perhaps be short, very limited in what you can do (one enemy type? bad combat? no real story?)... I don't know why, because it all looks promising, I'm just dubious about it all. I think it is because each trailer has progressively made the game look less about surviving in a forest and more about being just another Rust type clone.

DreadOut? I'm guessing a slow burner that will take some time to get into.

The Forest I am not quite sure of what to think quite yet. It does look very pretty, though.

However, one correction, or more-so two, the game has more than one Monster. In the trailers we've seen at least five different monsters. And there's some kind of story, as you do start off on a crashed plane with other people, and some of the quick-shots and information does point to th fact the game has some kind of narrative to discover, and there is some type of goal to work towards rather than it never-ending (though sure there will be some kind of survival mode).

However, obviously don't know where it'll rest in quality.

My personal predictions on the four titles outcomes, keeping in mind 3 out of 4 are Early Access.

DreadOut I believe will be slow-burn as you mentioned it. My friend is telling me it's old-school styled, which I believe will make it well received from genre fans but maybe harsher by critics (things like puzzles and sections of nothing but atmosphere exist, for example). I honestly kind of expect mixed reaction, with some loving it and some not really liking it simply due to the sort of game it is.

The Forest I am finding the hardest for me to gauge. It looks very pretty though, and I suspect it'll be one of those games that'll be in Early Access for a while adding a lot of new features and content over the months. I expect it to be the most hyped of the four titles though, which either may help or hurt it depending.

Claire I am cheating a bit on as I played 90 minutes of the alpha of the game several months ago, so I already sort of know what to expect (just tighter). But the game I think will be appreciated for its narrative and atmosphere, but I'm not sure if it'll stir a boom, but again one for the niche audience. Early Access may turn some off until it fully releases though.

Darkwood I have a sneaking suspicion will be very good at what it's trying to be, and one's enjoyment of it will come if they're interested in a top-down horror rogue-like.

DogMeat77

Thanks JaseC for the steam code on Naval Warfare. I usually like games like this so looking forward to giving it a go this weekend.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Actually you can remove the "?redeemer=" portion, I always do and haven't had any problems so far.

I've been testing it on and off for months (it was last year sometime when a few people began reporting that their gifts wouldn't redeem without the full URL), but it never worked... until now. Just one of those things, I guess. Maybe that's why Stump didn't get back to me. ;) An implicit "It works without the redeemer portion, stupid!"

The Forest I am not quite sure of what to think quite yet. It does look very pretty, though.

However, one correction, or more-so two, the game has more than one Monster. In the trailers we've seen at least five different monsters. And there's some kind of story, as you do start off on a crashed plane with other people, and some of the quick-shots and information does point to th fact the game has some kind of narrative to discover, and there is some type of goal to work towards rather than it never-ending (though sure there will be some kind of survival mode).

Probably all correct. I'm just not sure if they are good at making a game, or just some amazing trailers.

Hopefully it is incredible and I'm just being stupid.

DreadOut I believe will be slow-burn as you mentioned it. My friend is telling me it's old-school styled, which I believe will make it well received from genre fans but maybe harsher by critics (things like puzzles and sections of nothing but atmosphere exist, for example). I honestly kind of expect mixed reaction, with some loving it and some not really liking it simply due to the sort of game it is.

Yep, agree with that.

Someone wake morningbus, he must know these exciting news immediately.

Heh, was just thinking that. I'm still waiting for Thief (2014) to show up. You couldn't pay my to ever play that game again... or could you?

def sim

Achievements, to me, are checklists that can be fun to complete. Don't read too much into what they're called. Achievements or trophies, I doubt most people actually care for the bragging rights. Especially on Steam where that stuff is hidden in the profile.

Personally for me achievements are not something I'm interested in for bragging rights to display to others, christ I used to have my account to private so I was the only one seeing them. It scratches my completionist's itch, even more so in games where there is no progress counter. They are a bit silly but some do encourage you to do something different in game you might not try (like that evil Lone Wolf achievement in XCOM).

But as with all good things someone has to spoil it for others.

I agree :). I only ever bother with achievements when I'm playing a game like XCOM so much that I wish to freshen up what I'm aiming for. I has that Lone Wolf achievement and it has pride of place on my profile :D. Funnily enough it came relatively easily. The achievement for finishing the game on Impossible was far more evil! Some time over the next few weeks I'll pluck up the enthusiasm for an Impossible Ironman run. There's no achievement for it but I'll know I've done it [if I manage it] and that's what counts :).

Since achievements are cheatable with SAM then they are completely valueless in the bragging rights sense since no-one is going to know if you earnt them yourself or cheated with SAM to get them so what's the point of doing it?

meh

Parsnip

Achievements scratch that completionist itch.
Like, there were no achievements in Secret of Mana, but I leveled up all the magic anyway. Because I'm a crazy person.

I'm lucky that I think I was out of the target age range when Pokemon hit, it would have been the death of me.

oipic

Just a few days ago, someone in my activity list had very uncannily (and with no apparent subtlety whatsoever) unlocked just those achievements, from maybe 6 or 7 games, for which Playfire we're offering rewards.

I couldn't help but think 'this is why we can't have nice things'.

Lizardus

Just a few days ago, someone in my activity list had very uncannily (and with no apparent subtlety whatsoever) unlocked just those achievements, from maybe 6 or 7 games, for which Playfire we're offering rewards.

I couldn't help but think 'this is why we can't have nice things'.

Or you can submit a ticket to them like they encourage you to instead of complaining about it like many other people.

This would ensure that the system isn't exploited and it would not get pulled from service.

Milamber

No, but add it to your cart anyway; you may find that you get $5 off. I do, even though I'm absolutely, 250% certain that I have no 2K credit remaining... unless it's using credit from 2012.

I sincerely hope Watch_Dogs (Steam) comes out soon on Amazon/GMG so I have a reason to use my coupons/rewards.

The_Monk

Hello my good people! It seem there was a game added to my library recently, something I might have missed or a beta/F2P title, not sure but I found this amusing when checking my profile:

2UCbutV.png

4's! 4's everywhere!
I'm not trying to show off just thought it was funny!
:)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Hello my good people! It seem there was a game added to my library recently, something I might have missed or a beta/F2P title, not sure but I found this amusing when checking my profile:

2UCbutV.png

4's! 4's everywhere!

Time to start exclusively buying DLC!

Dusk Golem

I'm really excited for DreadOut, looks like it has amazing potential. Or I just miss Fatal Frame.

For those interested in DreadOut, I will now recommend the demo. It's releasing on Steam soon too, but it's now been confirmed the content in the demo is not in the main game and the game starts immediately after the demo finishes:

If someone was holding off on the DreadOut demo as they wanted to go into the game blind, be it known that the demo is basically the prequel to the game, based off of a build over a year old but the content in it will not be in the normal game confirmed now.

JaseC

I sincerely hope Watch_Dogs (Steam) comes out soon on Amazon/GMG so I have a reason to use my coupons/rewards.

I've been wondering if at least one of the retail subs is for the Nvidia promotion. This wasn't the case for Black Flag, but then Black Flag doesn't have 8 retail subs that were made 6 months after the app was added to the database.

derExperte

Hello my good people! It seem there was a game added to my library recently, something I might have missed or a beta/F2P title, not sure but I found this amusing when checking my profile

Maybe Battleblock Theater. Or Whispered World.

And I remember my 444th game like it was yesterday. I was young, full of energy, had flowing hair and hadn't spend my last cents on crappy bundles.

Dusk Golem

Also I will mention I have a Steam goal of raising $20 Steam credit before Killer is Dead releases later this month.

Currently at $3.40 only just from today, so doing good!
(Going to get harder as a dollar and a half of that was from a lucky Outlast foil drop that was bought quickly, and me selling a Christmas Warframe costume I had for $0.50.).

Dr Dogg

I've been wondering if at least one of the retail subs is for the Nvidia promotion. This wasn't the case for Black Flag, but then Black Flag doesn't have 8 retail subs that were made 6 months after the app was added to the database.

Don't know as I've seen scratch card like promo codes on eBay but the redemption site over at GeForce has the same info as what I had with Blacklist and Black Flag in that it gives you a 100% discount voucher for the UPlay shop. There are an awful lot of retail subs though compared to Black Flag.

Also I will mention I have a Steam goal of raising $20 Steam credit before Killer is Dead releases later this month.

Currently at $3.40 only just from today, so doing good!
(Going to get harder as a dollar and a half of that was from a lucky Outlast foil drop that was bought quickly, and me selling a Christmas Warframe costume I had for $0.50.).

Only one thing to do. Get them cards from Bad Rats!

2UCbutV.png

4's! 4's everywhere!

Here in Asia, You are already dead just by the overload of 4's in your profile. My mother would constantly bug me to add another or remove one just not to get a 4 on anything she buys (or anything I buy).

Caerith

I for one absolutely hate horror games. Can't stand 'em.
I made a Halloween category for games I'm planning to play this October, and am really looking forward to it. Looking forward to non-Steam horror games, too.

With luck, none of those games will have zombies because yawn.

Also I want to state I have never cheated on achievements. It feels cheap honestly.

Nor have I. Unless save-scumming is considered cheating, in which case I confess to going on a crime spree in Kingdoms of Amalur then loading my save after the achievement popped.

Here in Asia, You are already dead just by the overload of 4's in your profile. My mother would constantly bug me to add another or remove one just not to get a 4 on anything she buys (or anything I buy).

That's the first thing I thought of.

Only one thing to do. Get them card from Bad Rats!

I did that yesterday and felt violated from installing and loading it up again. However, I comforted myself with the perverse pleasure of putting all three cards up for sale at 13p. I thought that number was appropriate :). Amazingly, 2 of the 3 have already sold! :eek:

Milamber

Nor have I. Unless save-scumming is considered cheating, in which case I confess to going on a crime spree in Kingdoms of Amalur then loading my save after the achievement popped.

If you play VN's and Bethesda RPG's, save scumming is a given fact of life.

Dusk Golem

I made a Halloween category for games I'm planning to play this October, and am really looking forward to it. Looking forward to non-Steam horror games, too.

With luck, none of those games will have zombies because yawn.

I'm curious, what does your list currently stand at?
I can tell you if any zombies exist in them.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
LOL

I don't understand this mentality at all. What is the point of accruing achievements if one hasn't actually unlocked them through one's own efforts?

Not that I care about achievements at all 99% of the time. I just don't understand the mentality. *shrug*
Same deal with cheating/hacknig in multiplayer games. Why do some people want to win without having to put any effort? Because some people are fools, that's why.

Knurek

Same deal with cheating/hacknig in multiplayer games. Why do some people want to win without having to put any effort? Because some people are fools, that's why.

Read that recent PC Gamer article? If not, you should. Really good journalism.

JaseC

Don't know as I've seen scratch card like promo codes on eBay but the redemption site over at GeForce has the same info as what I had with Blacklist and Black Flag in that it gives you a 100% discount voucher for the UPlay shop. There are an awful lot of retail subs though compared to Black Flag.

Ah, well there goes that then, haha. They could be retail subs for keys sold via Uplay itself!

Dr Dogg

I did that yesterday and felt violated from installing and loading it up again. However, I comforted myself with the perverse pleasure of putting all three cards up for sale at 13p. I thought that number was appropriate :). Amazingly, 2 of the 3 have already sold! :eek:

I was working it out yesterday, if you were the "generous" soul who bought 100's of copies of Bad Rats when it was on sale for 29p to gift away just sat in your inventory then technically the card drops for a copy would sell for a little over what you paid even with the Valve and Publisher cut at current prices. You could essentially be making free money if the market stays the same. And if you get a foil? Woooooo weeeeee!!!

Give it a week though and they'll drop in price so be quick Bad Rats fans.

Ah, well there goes that then, haha. They could be retail subs for keys sold via Uplay itself!

Well Ubi have said they're doing something different so who knows what the score is. My physical copy I cancelled last week had no mention of Uplay in the description unlike every other UbiSoft game on the same site. Could be they're waiting for clarification? Or could just be something else even better...

I'd be pissed if it's redeemable as I had a better deal with physical nick knacks.

Caerith

If you play VN's and Bethesda RPG's, save scumming is a given fact of life.
I'm scumming a lot in Amalur because skill checks are all percentage-based-- could have a 95% chance of success and still fail, etc. I really prefer the Obsidian style where success or failure is guaranteed depending on skill level.

Though I still save constantly in Obsidian games because of crashes.

I'm curious, what does your list currently stand at?
I can tell you if any zombies exist in them.
In Steam? 11th Hour, Amnesia, Dead Space, Lone Survivor, Organ Trail (zombies I know), Post Mortem, Scratches, and Shadows: Price For Our Sins. Will add DreadOut, Claire, and Costume Quest 2 to that when possible.

Off Steam? Gonna see what RPG Maker can do for me after Witch's House, so probably ib, Mad Father, Yume Nikki, and whatever else I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom