• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizardus

I still don't want to name names but you know what's worse than those guys? The ones that do this and then come to internet forums to brag about how much credit they have. Just shut up about it.

I personally don't use it but what's wrong with using SAM to get achievements? They legally bought the game and they know the risk of using it. To me, this seems like looking down on people for using cheats and mods in single player games.

kurahador

I for one absolutely hate horror games. Can't stand 'em.

But what about DreadOut?
miXyHFr.jpg

I personally don't use it but what's wrong with using SAM to get achievements? They legally bought the game and they know the risk of using it. To me, this seems like looking down on people for using cheats and mods in single player games.

Well other than SAM's website has a "this server is not run by faggots" button?

Actually he was referring to using SAM to unlock achievements to accrue Playfire/GMG credit.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

People don't pay you to use cheats and mods though. They're earning the rewards from Playfire in a really shady way, and it goes against the spirit of what Playfire are going for. Not only that, but if the system continues to get abused in this way then Playfire may decide it's not worth offering those rewards, or they'll reduce the amount, and everyone else misses out.

hohoXD123

Those don't really result in financial gain. If the use of SAM to get playfire credit becomes widespread then I'm not sure if Playfire would be very sustainable for GMG.

fantomena

Actually he was referring to using SAM to unlock achievements to accrue Playfire/GMG credit.

What if people are registered on Playfire and GMG, using SAM to unlock achivevements and don't know about the reward system?

I have used SAM on many achivevements in the past long time before the reward system on Playfire even existed, and suprisingly Playfire tracked them and gave me credits for them. One of the games were Portal 2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Do you know what the Playfire Rewards program is? You earn credit to spend on Green Man Gaming for unlocking certain achievements within the rewards period. Presumably, most people unlock the achievements legitimately, but if GMG decides that SAM is too much of a nuisance to deal then the program may be scrapped in the future, resulting in case of cheaters ruining it for everybody else.

Edit: Beaten. Thought I refreshed.

Arthea

internethighfive.jpg

not that I outright hate them, but they bore me, most of them anyway. I especially am tired of zombies of all kinds.
And as we are talking about preferences, I like lightly humorous games and light in mood in general. I think it helps me relax, not to mention that all dark atmosphere is overplayed a lot and usually doesn't work, for me that is.

hohoXD123

What if people are registered on Playfire and GMG, using SAM to unlock achivevements and don't know about the reward system?

I have used SAM on many achivevements in the past long time before the reward system on Playfire even existed, and suprisingly Playfire tracked them and gave me credits for them. One of the games were Portal 2.

Well there isn't really much you can do about that aside from using a separate account, but I'm guessing he was referring to people who do it intentionally after registering for the reward system.

Lizardus

Yeah I know. Still don't see the issue.

For example, what happens if an achievement is bugged and they used SAM to get it and it just happened to be related to playfire reward? It's not as black and white as you think.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

For example, what happens if an achievement is bugged and they used SAM to get it and it just happened to be related to playfire reward? It's not as black and white as you think.

The example he mentioned is specific abuse - zero playtime and unlocking the reward-related achievements only.

Tellaerin

I'd say it's a little different when you're earning prizes (credit) for those achievements. Using SAM to earn credit that way amounts to duping someone into giving you a reward for something you didn't do. Personally, I think that's kinda tacky, but that's just me.

I don't think anyone's here's talking about using SAM to manually add an achievement you legitimately earned to your profile because it was bugged. The complaint was about using SAM to get achievements you didn't really earn, just to rack up easy Playfire credit.

Ruruja

"Here is $1,000,000. You may take $5 and only $5. I'm going to turn my back for 30 seconds, I trust you to only take $5."

aku:jiki

People don't pay you to use cheats and mods though. They're earning the rewards from Playfire in a really shady way, and it goes against the spirit of what Playfire are going for. Not only that, but if the system continues to get abused in this way then Playfire may decide it's not worth offering those rewards, or they'll reduce the amount, and everyone else misses out.
I'd say you're right except for the "may". They most certainly will shut it down if everyone flocks to it and starts using SAM, they can't bleed money like that.

My problem with it is how incredibly short-sighted it is. I get people not giving a fuck about other people or Playfire itself, douchey as it may be, but they're potentially cheating themselves out of future profits too! They're risking dozens of their own dollars over the next few years in order to get 15 cents ASAP. It's so very stupid.

hohoXD123

Well yeah there are some circumstances where it isn't too much of a big deal, but you don't see a problem with everyone using SAM for Playfire, getting loads of GMG credit and GMG then deciding that it's not worth the loss of revenue and deciding to scrap it for everyone?

Deques

It's still abusing system. It should be bannable

Hopefully the guys over at Playfire know that there are games that have bugged achievements, and use them for their reward system

Knurek

I think the only horror game that actually worked as intended was Silent Hill 2.

I'd say you're right except for the "may". They most certainly will shut it down if everyone flocks to it and starts using SAM, they can't bleed money like that.

Are they really? I though all you got was store credit for their (massively overpriced in Eastern Europe at least) GMG store.

But what about DreadOut?
I played that game way back when, I think pre-kickstarter.
That game was scary, no idea how it is now that they're closer to release but at the time I thought it was pretty spooky(then again, I am easily scared by anything so don't go into it expecting SH2 or anything)

No it is black and white. If you don't sign up, then go nuts because who cares what you unlock.

But if you sign up to earn rewards? Stop using SAM and don't ruin it for the rest of us. Which of course will certainly happen sooner rather than later... but don't mess up sooner.

I was just answering his question fanto. I don't care what you do, that's your business.

Oh okay, sorry, I must have misread your post.

I actually don't care about this at all tbqh. GMG and Playfire is irrelevant to my interests so I don't have a horse in this race.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well yeah there are some circumstances where it isn't too much of a big deal, but you don't see a problem with everyone using SAM for Playfire, getting loads of GMG credit and GMG then deciding that it's not worth the loss of revenue and deciding to scrap it for everyone?

Given his follow-up post it seems he was under the false impression that derExperte was against using SAM at all. I'm sure he doesn't agree with using SAM specifically to help in accruing GMG credit.

fantomena

It's still abusing system. It should be bannable

So they should be banned for something they don't know about? What if there is another look-a-like reward system out there I don't know about apart from Playfire rewards which I am registered on for some reason. Should I be banned from that system?

hohoXD123

I think the only horror game that actually worked as intended was Silent Hill 2.

Are they really? I though all you got was store credit for their (massively overpriced in Eastern Europe at least) GMG store.

Giving store credit is still cutting into what they earn from a purchase.

Dr Dogg

Well the key word here is intent.

Sure some people use SAM to check off all their achievements, which in effect is something you display what you have done in a game and not used a third party program to unlock, but using it for financial gain? If only it's credit from a specific retailer? Yeah that's fraud no matter which way you look at it.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So they should be banned for something they don't know about? What if there is another look-a-like reward system out there I don't know about apart from Playfire rewards which I am registered on for some reason. Should I be banned from that system?
Yeah I guess, if you're breaking the rules. Doesn't matter though if you don't know about it though, right?

Acccent

Humble isn't handling Flash Sales as Valve does. They're not back-to-back and rather than being advertised directly you have to keep an eye on Humble's Twitter page.

huh. Looks to me like that would favour people in whatever timezone Humble is in... (saying this cause the last three flash sales happened at a time when I should have been asleep)

anyway thanks for the answer :)

You mean like somebody made a club where people who use SAM get murdered and a friend signed you up innocently as a bit of a joke?

Because yeah, that would be a fair enough scenario. I can't think of any other reason you would be worried about signing up to something accidentally and getting banned from it.

Pachimari

I'm enjoying Max Payne 3 way more on PC than I did on the Xbox 360. Here, I can actually aim with my guns.

Also getting addicted to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. I didn't give it a fair chance on Xbox 360 back in the day but it's a lot of fun - already better than Call of Duty: Ghost.

I'm currently installing Batman: Arkham Asylum, having never played any of the Batman games. Though, I did love Batman & Robin on PSone.

Deques

Yes, if you abuse the system, then you should be banned. If you are registered to websites then you should have at least read the rules. If didn't read the rules, then it's your fault.

Please, stop making more excuses.

There are rules for a reason

fantomena

Well the key word here is intent.

Sure some people use SAM to check off all their achievements, which in effect is something you display what you have done in a game and not used a third party program to unlock, but using it for financial gain? If only it's credit from a specific retailer? Yeah that's fraud no matter which way you look at it.

Then there are 2 different view on it: Either they use SAM to cheat Playfire on choice or they use SAM to unlock achievement not by choice. Should one or both of the ways get banned?

Lizardus

I'd say it's a little different when you're earning prizes (credit) for those achievements. Using SAM to earn credit that way amounts to duping someone into giving you a reward for something you didn't do. Personally, I think that's kinda tacky, but that's just me.

"Here is $1,000,000. You may take $5 and only $5. I'm going to turn my back for 30 seconds, I trust you to only take $5."

Well I am sure GMG doesn't mind as long as people pre-purchase games from them.

EDIT: Playfire knows about the issue so there is no need for concern. They can track down if they detect anomalies.

https://playfire.zendesk.com/entries/37809833-What-happens-to-people-who-exploit-Playfire-Rewards-

hohoXD123

They have already been cutting into their profit with discount coupons, doesn't seem to hurt them in the long run.

Just because they've been able to take a hit with the coupons doesn't mean that they can take a hit with the coupons + excessive playfire credit.

I'm currently installing Batman: Arkham Asylum, having never played any of the Batman games. Though, I did love Batman & Robin on PSone.
Have fun mate, I love Batman: Arkham Asylum, B:AA and Minecraft are the two games that convinced me to upgrade my single core computer, so worth it, they're fantastic on PC.

Unrelated I just found out something neat that you can do in Steam, since you can turn off DLC now the SEGA and Genesis Megadrive collection lets you pick and choose which games you want to install since all games in it are listed as DLC apparently.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
That's why I said that tracking console achievements would be a better alternative, but I guess partnering up with Sony or MS for the rewards would be too much of a hassle.

fantomena

Yes, if you abuse the system, then you should be banned. If you are registered to websites then you should have at least read the rules. If didn't read the rules, then it's your fault.

Please, stop making more excuses.

There are rules for a reason

I don't make excuses. I simply don't feel it's justice.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Then there are 2 different view on it: Either they use SAM to cheat Playfire on choice or they usa SAM tu unlock achievement not by chocie. Should one or both of the ways get banned?

Both of the ways get banned. The rules of the website state that the use of external programs to unlock the achievements is cause for banning. You can morally justify using SAM to unlock achievements for yourself that you had no idea would get you the GMG credit you're going to use to buy Transistor, but they're also within their rights to ban you for doing so.

Echoplx

Then there are 2 different view on it: Either they use SAM to cheat Playfire on choice or they use SAM to unlock achievement not by choice. Should one or both of the ways get banned?

You chose to manually link your Steam profile to your playfire account, doing so serves no other purpose than verifying achievements earned.

But for real dude, just shut the fuck up, you really should have learned your lesson the first time you did this shit.

fantomena

Someone who can help me to understand what fantomena meant?

I thought it was pretty chlear after all I have written. Not by choice is when you use SAM to unlock achivevement while you maybe don't know about the rewards system or bugged achievements.

By choice is like thinking "Yes, now I am going to use SAM to cheat Playfire".

Deques

I also want to re-organize my library, because there's a lot of games in my "high tier" and "low tier" lists.

https://code.google.com/p/depressurizer/

Use this tool to organize your library

I thought it was pretty chlear after all I have written. Not by choice is when you use SAM to unlock achivevement while you maybe don't know about the rewards system or bugged achievements.

By choice is like thinking "Yes, now I am going to use SAM to cheat Playfire".

You are free to do whatever you want with SAM, just don't abuse it whenever there are rewards to gain.

Someone who can help me to understand what fantomena meant?

He means:

* There are some people who are using SAM to get money from playfire intentionally.
* There are some people who are using SAM to unlock achievements and are accidentally getting money from playfire.

Both require you to sign up to playfire. Both groups of people should not by using SAM to unlock achievements. If you care about them, leave the program and there is no issue.

I think it is pretty straight forw-

Well I am sure GMG doesn't mind as long as people pre-purchase games from them.

1322rsc8l.gif

EDIT: Playfire knows about the issue so there is no need for concern. They can track down if they detect anomalies.

https://playfire.zendesk.com/entries/37809833-What-happens-to-people-who-exploit-Playfire-Rewards-

I doubt they can track it unless people are really obvious. Inevitably it'll resolve down to $0.05 on some games and the occasional big promotion on something like Dark Souls 2. So really it is just a question about how soon that happens.

Anteater

ok sonic collection will be the last thing I buy until the summer sale, i even bought sonic generations just a few weeks ago but whatever

sealing away my wallet as we speak

mafuubalkjwx.gif

fantomena

Im at least jumping out of the discussion since I can see what most GAFfers thinks is bannable or not. And stop bragging about credits of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom