• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kifimbo

What about 'Play X for the first time' rewards ? Is there a difference between running SAM for 5 seconds versus downloading the game and playing it for 5 seconds ?

Knurek

Just because they've been able to take a hit with the coupons doesn't mean that they can take a hit with the coupons + excessive playfire credit.

Is it really excessive though? I mean, there's a finite, small amount of games that are supported, and the rewards themselves are generally pennies.
You can get the same rewards with writing reviews for GMG and I'm not seeing people griping about other people reusing your Steam/Gamersgate/GOG reviews there and 'gaming' the system.

Disclaimer: I'm not using nor planning on using Playfire Rewards, just playing the devil's advocate here.

Arthea

I'm not sure how playfire works at all, it shouldn't and it probably won't in the long run. But cheating in any way in games isn't really a crime, although I don't like it and don't like people who do this, can't even say why, it's just how it is.
I never used SAM, but from posts in this thread I gathered SAM can unlock any achievement in seconds? If that's the case, it always will be too tempting for many people.
Even outright banning anyone suspected, won't stop this. We see enough examples of that.

sealing away my wallet as we speak

good luck with that!

derExperte

Yeah I know. Still don't see the issue.

For example, what happens if an achievement is bugged and they used SAM to get it and it just happened to be related to playfire reward? It's not as black and white as you think.

I was worried about scenarios like this myself because it could absolutely happen to me, I had a few bugged achievements lately and don't check Playfire regularily. I even asked the Playfire dude about their policies. That's one thing. Doing this regularly is another.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well I am sure GMG doesn't mind as long as people pre-purchase games from them.

It's mentioned in the FAQ that unlocking achievements dishonestly will get you banned from the program and Valve will be alerted, although I don't think Valve actually cares much about achievement cheaters since they aren't tied to anything other than a completion showcase. There's also the fact that the credit GMG hands out eat into its profit margins, but the logic at play here is similar to that behind Valve's motivation for providing free Steam keys to publishers for external sales: the hope is that the program will bring enough new business to the GMG store to make up for the credit handouts.

I was worried about scenarios like this myself because it could absolutely happen to me, I had a few bugged achievements lately and don't check Playfire regularily. I even asked the Playfire dude about their policies. That's one thing. Doing this regularly is another.

I guessed whose account that is and was right.

Lizardus

He means:

* There are some people who are using SAM to get money from playfire intentionally.
* There are some people who are using SAM to unlock achievements and are accidentally getting money from playfire.

Both require you to sign up to playfire. Both groups of people should not by using SAM to unlock achievements. If you care about them, leave the program and there is no issue.

I think it is pretty straight forw-

I doubt they can track it unless people are really obvious.

What I meant is that the shady practice of GMG charging your credit card as soon as you place your pre-order instead of charging it when it is delivered. I don't agree with it.

https://greenmangaming.zendesk.com/...ou-charge-my-payment-provider-for-a-preorder-

As I said, it's not all black and white. Steam does this too. Amazon charges when you get the game.

EDIT: As for them being able to track it or not, I'll take their word over yours and assume that all cheaters will be banned/blacklisted.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Horror is one of those thing you'll either like or not very strongly usually, so it's a-okay. There's a reason horror is an honest niche these days, even if it is growing in popularity back-up these days. Oh, also quick horror enthusiast thing, to get people up to date on each one. Quick guide to the horror games yet to release that are releasing this month.

May Horror Game Guide for Steam Releases this month:

dreadout1.jpg

DreadOut is an old-school styled indie Indonasian survival-horror game that is heavily influenced by Fatal Frame. When a group of high school students stray from their vacation trip, they discover an old deserted town. Linda, as the main protagonist, feels the stirrings of a strange and mystical power within herself. This spiritual power just might be the only way to save herself and her friends from an unknown evil. Linda has lots of modern gadgets at her disposal including smartphones, digital cameras, and digital video cameras. With these instruments she can interact with and capture the various kinds of unique South East Asian Ghosts, and also solve the many varied puzzles of the deserted town

Release Date: May 15th

DreadOut Launch Trailer

637x358.resizedimage

The Forest is a first-person open-world survival-horror game. You crash in a plane in a strange forest full of strange monsters and mutants. You have to collect supplies and build a fort or base of operations for when night falls, as that's when the madness really begins... You must collect food and eat, you can build traps and structures manually, make crude weapons, or survive by being hidden and stealth-like. Build, explore, survive in this terrifying first person survival horror simulator.

Release Date: May 22nd (Early Access)

The Forest Newest Trailer

claire_afraid.jpg

Claire is a 2D psychological survival-horror game, that takes inspiration from mainly Rule of Rose, Silent Hill, and Alan Wake. The game features a girl named Claire, who we watch through various stages of her life (from young child to teen to adult). She is aided by a dog companion, and finds herself facing nightmarish monsters of shadows that can only be combated by light. As she travels a world that is a nightmarish reflection of her own, she finds her only escape is linked to helping the forlorn people she comes across.

Release: TBA May (Early Access)

Claire Teaser Trailer

ss_efef1b56eac0521f0994f3ad718c9197fd3c29e1.600x338.jpg

Darkwood is a rogue-like survival-horror RPG where players must survive harsh conditions in the woods as you fight your inner demons. The fear of unknown is powerful – and the unknown will try to remain unseen, forcing you to watch your back. Your senses will be deceived, your sight fooled, your smell tricked by Darkwood's surreal terrors. No answer will be given to you for free, yet somewhere in the woods lies the truth, an explanation to what has happened in this godforsaken place.

Release: TBA May (Early Access)

Darkwood Early Access Teaser

And a few others on the Greenlight side, like Middle of Nowhere.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible to buy something from the store as a gift and give it away here?
This isn't the first time I've seen you talk about some potential giveaways whenever someone mentions your bragging or cheating in this thread. Dude, please stop.

What if people are registered on Playfire and GMG, using SAM to unlock achivevements and don't know about the reward system?

I have used SAM on many achivevements in the past long time before the reward system on Playfire even existed, and suprisingly Playfire tracked them and gave me credits for them. One of the games were Portal 2.
They should get banned from Playfire. They are cheating the system, knowingly or not.

Acccent

Also isn't the simple act of using SAM frowned upon, if not outright forbidden? It's not like 'using SAM without the express intent of getting Playfire rewards' was a good thing or a charitable act or something

hohoXD123

Is it really excessive though? I mean, there's a finite, small amount of games that are supported, and the rewards themselves are generally pennies.
You can get the same rewards with writing reviews for GMG and I'm not seeing people griping about other people reusing your Steam/Gamersgate/GOG reviews there and 'gaming' the system.

Disclaimer: I'm not using nor planning on using Playfire Rewards, just playing the devil's advocate here.

Well yeah, I've seen people post screenshots here of getting Dark Souls 2 for ridiculously cheap thanks to Playfire, and that is (hopefully) through genuine means, so imagine how it would be if they used SAM. They're pennies but they can easily stack up plus new rewards are being added very frequently, and if it's so simple to earn Playfire credit, why would anyone buy anything from GMG without a significant amount of credit?

May Horror Game Guide for Steam Releases this month:

Thanks for that.

Random prediction, The Forest will suck. I'm not sure why, it just has that smell about it. I think it will perhaps be short, very limited in what you can do (one enemy type? bad combat? no real story?)... I don't know why, because it all looks promising, I'm just dubious about it all. I think it is because each trailer has progressively made the game look less about surviving in a forest and more about being just another Rust type clone.

DreadOut? I'm guessing a slow burner that will take some time to get into.

JaseC

What I meant is that the shady practice of GMG charging your credit card as soon as you place your pre-order instead of charging it when it is delivered. I don't agree with it.

https://greenmangaming.zendesk.com/...ou-charge-my-payment-provider-for-a-preorder-

As I said, it's not all black and white. Steam does this too. Amazon charges when you get the game.

Using SAM specifically to unlock GMG credit is a bad thing. That GMG charges immediately when pre-ordering doesn't change the fact that the credit handed out as part of the Playfire Rewards program eats into GMG's profit margins when used. If someone earns $60 of GMG credit via SAM and uses that to buy a $60 game, GMG makes exactly $0.00 on that sale.

Zafir

I've always been worried about my witcher 2 achievements. I've got some random late ones unlocked because I loaded saves from my retail copy and they popped. That said they've already been tracked so couldn't get rewards from them anyways so I suppose it shouldn't matter.

Li Kao

Seeing Dusk's list of horror games to be released in May, mmh... wouldn't it be cool to have the same thing for 'every' game each month ? I mean a to be released list; and evidently not exhaustive.
Oh fuck it, I'm still starved of

One game, one shot, wonderful.

They got all those achievements with 0h playtime?! :eek:

Dayum! dey has mad gaming skillz!!!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I guess whose account that is and was right.

Haha. Thief has an achievement for spending 15 hours in the single player campaign; I saw someone who with a total steam gameplay time of 4 hours and had unlocked the achievement.

Haha. Thief has an achievement for spending 15 hours in the single player campaign; I saw someone who with a total steam gameplay time of 4 hours and had unlocked the achievement.

LOL

I don't understand this mentality at all. What is the point of accruing achievements if one hasn't actually unlocked them through one's own efforts?

Not that I care about achievements at all 99% of the time. I just don't understand the mentality. *shrug*

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I thought it was pretty chlear after all I have written. Not by choice is when you use SAM to unlock achivevement while you maybe don't know about the rewards system or bugged achievements.

By choice is like thinking "Yes, now I am going to use SAM to cheat Playfire".
Those are some awfully specific achievements you are unlocking while not knowing they are tied to rewards.

Arthea

LOL

I don't understand this mentality at all. What is the point of accruing achievements if one hasn't actually unlocked them through one's own efforts?

Not that I care about achievements at all 99% of the time. I just don't understand the mentality. *shrug*

usually, it's bragging rights, but now it's paid job too, apparently (><)
It does kill meaning of achievement, though, if you are getting it without achieving anything. I can't say, I understand it also.

hohoXD123

LOL

Exactly, don't really care about achievements either. Aside from that one horrible, horrible Stanley Parable achievement with the baby. Genuinely getting that should earn you a personal visit from Gabe or something.

Lizardus

LOL

Maybe people don't care about achievements either but they still want to get that 24/24 achievement or whatever on their game profile?

Pakoe

So, what the hell happened to STALKER? I played the first one and enjoyed the hell out of it, even though it had its flaws. Then i went on to CS and CoP and it went from bad to horrendous. I didn't even finish CoP.

Dr Dogg

My Stick of Truth achievements look dodgy due to having to play it offline. Steam uses time stamps from when you sync your achievements and not when they are obtained so I've got 36 unlocked all at 8 minutes after the game unlocked here with only 30mins played.

I guess that what I get for impatience and not waiting for the game to unlock officially :p

Arthea

Maybe people don't care about achievements either but they still want to get that 24/24 achievement or whatever on their game profile?

But how many people really care about what someone has on their profile? You would be surprised how little if not none.
I think it's sort of insecurity, well, I have to come with some explanation (><)

JaseC

Well, if that's the case, then they still do care about achievements -- or more specifically, the displaying of them. "I don't care about achievements but I do care about what they represent" is an oxymoron in practice because you can't have the latter without the former.

usually, it's bragging rights, but now it's paid job too, apparently (><)
It does kill meaning of achievement, though, if you are getting it without achieving anything. I can't say, I understand it also.

Exactly, don't really care about achievements either. Aside from that one horrible, horrible Stanley Parable achievement with the baby. Genuinely getting that should earn you a personal visit from Gabe or something.

Yeah, I know. Bragging rights and/or caring what others think about my gaming prowess? meh

Levyne

Banned
I just wish play fire worked at all for me. My play fire account is seemingly frozen to some arbitrary day in February (yes my account is public). Haven't earned a single reward cent. Ticket going on 20 days or so. I'm more annoyed at the lack of response at this point rather than any credit ( though due to the volume of issues it is understandable).

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Full Bore -- MB-3F73098276F6203F - Taken by Vastag. 30 entrants total.

t1399473645z1.png

Arthea

I just wish play fire worked at all for me. My play fire account is seemingly frozen to some arbitrary day in February (yes my account is public). Haven't earned a single reward cent. Ticket going on 20 days or so. I'm more annoyed at the lack of response at this point rather than any credit ( though due to the volume of issues it is understandable).
I had the same problem, it was frozen on April 14th and remained frozen till May, then suddenly it got back to life again. I didn't even contacted support, last time I tried that, they answered after problem fixed itself too and it wasn't a helpful answer (><)
Loosing some credit? I can live with that.

thank you for this opportunity! entered
dunno how I could forget to buy it, but I did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom