• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been so many good deals in the last couple of months(Steam, Amazon, GMG, HB, and others)that by the time the summer sale hits, people either won't have any money or they will have all the games they want :p

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Are there any games like Rogue Legacy? I've been playing that on and off over the last month or two, and really enjoyed it.

While it does not share the castle exploration aspect of Rogue Legacy, I do certainly have a title for you to look into. Super House Of Dead Ninjas.
ss_b78a18c2d450c9fe985eee4b4b09651661e9d806.1920x1080.jpg

This is a comic/cartoonish ninja game with cartoonish demons, monsters, and hopping chickens in a rather basic video game story which combined with it's fun game play would have made it one of the best ninja games on the SNES and a competitor to Ninja Gaiden and Shinboi had it come out in the 1990s. Though easily modern graphics of course and design inspired by nostalgia rather than limitations of the past.

To a greater extent than Rogue Legacy, Super House Of Dead Ninjas is a game about randomised levels and enemy placements where the goal is to ever increase in skill, speed, and player ability to get further and further each time. Unlike Rogue Legacy where you explored a Castle Dracula inspired world, this is a title in which you start at the top of a Japanese Demon tower and are ever decreasing until you reach the lowest floor and eventually the main boss, at least until you get good enough to go ever deeper into a hell dimension with no end save for your death.

More frantic and hectic than Rogue Legacy, as here you are a nimble ninja flipping out and cutting people the majority of time, with the chance to build up a "kill combo" that for while it lasts you are invincible and all normal enemies die in one hit for that sweet sweet Pac-Man Championship Edition DX ghost chain like feel you just get a huge satisfaction from.

While Rogue Legacy it's a get-gold-buy-skills or find improvements in, Super House Of Dead Ninjas is an unlock system where you have to kill a certain amount of enemies, accomplish speed runs, use certain items enough time, find a certain number of hidden faeries, get high enough score points, beat a boss without taking damage, etc on top of the greater sense of reward and focus on improving your own skill as a player (present in Rogue Legacy, but most people ignore that and prefer to just power through by unlocking everything to get farther). Still, you do get a sense of reward and progression from the game as you continue forward, coming closer to "killing x amount of enemies" toward the next unlock or what have you and thus you have more options or more tools that let you feel empowered because you can now use them.

The main form of unlocks comes in form of new weapons to use, be it a new personal weapon (sword, bat, chain, etc) and a side weapon (shuriken, spear, 9mm Glock) and a bomb (grenade, sticky bomb, mine, Molotov cocktail, etc) and a magic spell right out of Shinboi (SEGA) games that kills everything on screen and gives you a window of invincibility. A lot of different combos of these items you can put together that let you play differently enough, though the core game play remains the same and it's rather just how you go at it or the speed in which you go at it.
One specific line of unlocks in the game come in form of being able to take more damage, carry more bombs, and so forth, but nothing that makes the game necessarily easier in terms of requiring less skill, it still asks you to do well and they just help you.

If you want you can play a modified version of the original House Of Dead Ninjas, a demo of sorts, for the full game you can buy on Steam. http://games.adultswim.com/house-of-dead-ninjas-action-online-game.html

I highly recommend the game off Steam, it's my favourite game of 2013 and it scratches that itch of being "I want to be great at a game and not just because the game gives me everything".

Tizoc

DD XXL takes a bit over an hour to get to the last achievement, but the first two are fast and simple to get. Untouchable Sam (beat a level without taking damage) can be done on the second stage on easy. You can get the Gnaar-body's Fool achievement at the start of Stage 3 thanks to unlimited enemy spam.

Honestly, DD XXL is pretty good for what it is. It's the only Serious Sam game I've had any fun with.

Thanks. Overall how long does it take to finish DD XXL?

Turfster

Humble Night Dive Studios bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
  • Wizardry 7: Cruaders of the Dark Savant
  • Shadow Man
TIER 2: 5$
  • I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream
  • Harvester
  • The 7th Guest
TIER 3: 9$
  • Wizardry 8
  • System Shock 2
  • The 11th Hour

This is a pretty amazing bundle.

Nabs

New Unreal Tournament on Windows/Linux/Mac.

How much? Free. It's not F2P. Just Free.

Development starts today.

edit: the marketplace stuff makes it sound like it might not fit on Steam, I guess we'll see what happens in the long run.

Get it.

I had a whole post typed up about it and why I'd recommend it on PC, but I'm going to summarize here in a single sentence:

Get it on PC for $3.75 -- It'll be < 1/3 of what you'd pay on Vita whenever it releases (who knows?) and you'll have a better first experience. (If you really end up loving the game and want to play it on Vita, you can always double dip.)

Yeah but the other issue I have is that it stinks of being in a humble bundle soon. I dunno...

Yeah but the other issue I have is that it stinks of being in a humble bundle soon. I dunno...

I know freedom is $1.05 apparently, but there comes a point where good games are fantastically cheap without being in a bundle and you should buy them. This is one of those times. You're considering getting it on Vita, where the likelihood of it ever being $3.74 is close to none, I'm guessing... and yet, you're not willing to pay $3.74 because it might be in a bundle soon?

If you're really interested in the game and like what it offers, buy it now. You're still giving $0.37 to charity too, since you're purchasing from the humble store. :p

Humble Night Dive Studios bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
  • Wizardry 7: Cruaders of the Dark Savant
  • Shadow Man
TIER 2: 5$
  • I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream
  • Harvester
  • The 7th Guest
TIER 3: 9$
  • Wizardry 8
  • System Shock 2
  • The 11th Hour

This is a pretty amazing bundle.

Huh... shame I own everything in that (except harvester) from previous bundles or sales. :\

Now if Wizardy X had been in the $9 tier...

Tellaerin

New Unreal Tournament on Windows/Linux/Mac.

How much? Free. It's not F2P. Just Free.

Development starts today.

edit: the marketplace stuff makes it sound like it might not fit on Steam, I guess we'll see what happens in the long run.

This makes me happy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
KenOD's recommendation for Super House of Dead Ninjas is great, fantastic little game, and yeah it does feel a little like a Rogue Legacy style game despite the increased precision, reflexes, and mobility.

DocSeuss

F2P + microtransactions? Or maybe just free free and as an advertising piece for UE4?

Completely free, community-developed. They want to get the old modders back and working on the game. Sounds like development might be funded by people producing external content, as Epic will get their $19/mo sub, but all of Epic's core work will be completely free.

The humble keys are all separate, except for Wizardry 6+7

Good enough. I'll have to double check my games list, but I don't think I actually own the newer Wizardry games, and I'd want to be able to dump off 7th guest and 11th hour as I already own those

...and that is why I keep a master list of all the games I own for every platform...I in fact own most of those games. Still, a pretty good bundle, but I'm not going to buy this one.

Dr Dogg

It would be pretty funny if they beat Beth/ID to the punch. I'm still salty over that.

Unreal stream here: http://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

Cheers dude.

Well certainly sounds a lot better. Sounds like a community/social experiment that might have some legs if it ends up being like DotA but on a much grander scale with community content. I wonder how long before the first Mario Bros. 1-1 map gets made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom