• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
That's a great way to handle demo and makes playing trough it meaningful.

I agree, I wish there were more demo's like it, though wish there was a way to differentiate what sort of demo's exist, as I like additional gameplay demo's that stand on their own rather than being part of the game as well that you'll just have to replay later.

And the demo even includes three enemies that never show-up in the game, at least in Act 1 of the game. Again, DreadOut has a LOT more ghosts than I was anticipating.

I think with the demo and the main game, there's a total of 16 different types of ghosts.

Steam installs protocol associations so you can just use this link instead. Makes things a wee bit easier. ;)

Ah, interesting, will keep that in mind for the future.

Dr Dogg

Welp, that's the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series done. Despite playing so much Star Wars in the last two weeks I'm not burned out by it. If anything Jedi Academy made me want to play Knights of the Old Republic again and do a proper Dark Side run.

I've actually been playing the iPad version since Xmas in short bursts and it's still as awesome as I remember it. Really want to do another KOTOR II run with the Restored Content mod before Pillars of Eternity drops.

Thanks a lot ! I didn't even think of playing it with mouse / keyboard, I was gonna use the 360 pad.

You know what I don't think there is even official controller support. I know there are user mods.

Also anyone playing Dragon Age: Origins with a 3D setup but never tried it in this game is in for a treat. Really works well as all the 2D elements like the mouse cursor and UI elements render correctly and at the right depth and you can tweak the convergency settings just right to get the toyification effect. Shadows do need to be disabled but it's more than worth it if you're big on 3D.

Arthea

I agree, I wish there were more demo's like it, though wish there was a way to differentiate what sort of demo's exist, as I like additional gameplay demo's that stand on their own rather than being part of the game as well that you'll just have to replay later.

And the demo even includes three enemies that never show-up in the game, at least in Act 1 of the game. Again, DreadOut has a LOT more ghosts than I was anticipating.

I think with the demo and the main game, there's a total of 16 different types of ghosts.

Exactly! More often than not a demo prevents one from buying the game rather than selling it. Slapping some random part of the game or a boss and calling it demo simply doesn't work. Trailers do they part of showing the game, while demo should convince us that we want to play it too.
I gave up on demos, after playing so many bad ones, but I'll try this one. Thanks for sharing.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

System Shock 2 -- MB-96934FCA3C6FFF3C - Taken by Relax.MX. 1 entrants total.

t1399626406z1.png

Never heard of this. More bundle shovelware...

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Looks like Playfire added another two Saints Row the Third awards:

Saints Row The Third - unlock Bo-Duke-En - £0.25
Saints Row The Third - unlock Haters Gonna Hate - £0.50

The first is for doing 50 action hi-jacks, the second is killing 1000 gang members. Might have a go at both of these tonight, managed to get A Better Person (buy an upgrade for yourself) and Union Buster (Kill 15 cameramen in the Gangstas In Space DLC missions) last night so looking forward to those unlocking.

Also tried out and died in You Have To Win The Game, unsurprisingly, so that's another 20p coming my way. Winner.

Copons

I've been a console gamer for 30 years but have only had a PC that was worth playing games on for a few years during the early 90s.

I just got a brand new Macbook Pro and, while I know it's not a true gaming rig, I'm excited to FINALLY be able to experience Steam (and GOG and other indie games). I got the MPBr with the GeForce 750 so I hope I'll at least be able to get the most out of the compatibility that does exist.

So here's my first question: Anyone here use a DualShock 4 on a Mac? How's the compatibility in general? I'd love to jump on the Super Meat Boy deal today. I could always use a 360 pad, but I have the game on 360 and don't feel it would be that different...

And any other Mac/Steam tips would be appreciated ... Hold me, GAF.

Yo sorry for the late answering but here I am, a Mac user.

First thing first: apparently DS4 is immediately recognized as a DS4 controller, but there is still no way to make games think it's an X360 one (like what happens on PC with SCP drivers and such). And, as most games are natively compatible only with X360 controllers, you may need to fiddle around controls configurations to make it work properly.

Then: I used OSX to play for a couple of years and I was kinda happy, but then I tried bootcamping and actually my gaming life changed (to the point that a year later I bought a PC gaming rig :D ).
Now, gaming on Mac is way better than Linux, for example, but still there are some weird shenanigans, like Wine wrapped games (basically: devs wrap their games in a Win emulator... you'll notice if a game crashes and it shows you a Win 98 like dialog box). It's actually a kinda stable solution, but of course performance takes a big hit by having to emulate parts of another OS to run the game.

As I used the same MacBook Pro at home and for work, I basically used OSX in the office and Win7 bootcamped at home. In the end I actually noticed that I felt better using Win for everything - something I would NEVER admit in the first place, because OSX rocks. :D
But, if you don't want to bootcamp, and I know that it's a hard decision, Mac gaming ecosystem is constantly growing, especially in the indie scene, thanks to dev tools that export natively for every OS, so you should be fine now and even finer in future.

If you have some questions I may be a bit rusty with Mac gaming, but I'm still here with a Mac with Steam installed, so I could still help you!

zkylon

zkylewd
Looks like Playfire added another two Saints Row the Third awards:

Saints Row The Third - unlock Bo-Duke-En - £0.25
Saints Row The Third - unlock Haters Gonna Hate - £0.50

The first is for doing 50 action hi-jacks, the second is killing 1000 gang members. Might have a go at both of these tonight, managed to get A Better Person (buy an upgrade for yourself) and Union Buster (Kill 15 cameramen in the Gangstas In Space DLC missions) last night so looking forward to those unlocking.

Also tried out and died in You Have To Win The Game, unsurprisingly, so that's another 20p coming my way. Winner.

see i hate how playfire makes you regret 100%ing games

imo there's something really broken with the way that thing works

Copons

I'm gonna go ahead and assume no one has posted it but Clickteam Fusion 2.5 has a sale and a free weekend promotion going on right now. It's pretty fun to mess around with.

Nice, I've never heard of it.
How does it compare with other tools (Construct, Stencyl, GameMaker)? I'm currently using C2, but sometimes I feel a little constricted by some of its limitations and I'd use Stencyl if it didn't export only Flash files (and I hate GM layout editor).

I've played it for a couple of hours, and I wouldn't say it's unpolished.
I mean, it has some rough edges, but all pretty much negligible to me.
Like:
- some control weirdness (if you hit ESC it exits fullscreen, but ingame there is no way to get it back, so you have to go to the main menu options);
- some resolution issues (if you zoom all in, it's all blurry - and I hope they have hi-res assets for a future update);
- the trade management, that could allow some automations, because after a little bit it's kind of painful to have to sell stuff every single time you have them in stock.

As for the game it is basically Caesar 3 but - at least apparently - without combat (at least for now?) and routing. Which, for me, it's great, because I always loathed how C3 routed people on the most annoying path possible.

So, for who doesn't know what it was about:
you build a wheat farm, wheat must be processed by the bakery to make bread, bread is consumed by people (repeat for lots of other resources);
people starts living in slums, but if they have access to bread, they improve their houses, then they need lumber to improve them, then wine, and so on;
people pay rents to you (that grows with the quality of the housing), but at the same time you have to pay them wages to work; so if there are too many workplaces and too crappy housing you'll lose money, and if there is too much unemployment people go down the crime path, which is thwarted by the sheriff.

So, basically, it's a micromanagement game, where every single piece is a small gear who makes the entire mechanism run.

As for now, the difficulty doesn't seem too steep (except one scenario that was REALLY painful, I don't know why), and I've yet to see all the buildings available, but I guess after 2 hours it's Copons approved, which means huge amounts of lots!

Unpolished as in objects doesn't fit in that background and looks unrelated to each other. Just compare a C3 screenshot to 1849 one. It loooks like the open source remakes of 00s with good coders but no art worker. Assets in theirselves looks good but the combination lacks. Also the monetary system needs some improvement game needs a bit more complex income-expense system beyond he collect rent/sell stuff - buy stuff idea. But I'm in what I assume to be the tutorial parts of the game.
Besides these, inability to scroll after selecting a building, the lack of user oriented UI like right click menus and other stuff that we are now accustomed to, and similar issues still exists but I assume and hope that those will be fixed.

Copons

Unpolished as in objects doesn't fit in that background and looks unrelated to each other. Just compare a C3 screenshot to 1849 one. It loooks like the open source remakes of 00s with good coders but no art worker. Assets in theirselves looks good but the combination lacks. Also the monetary system needs some improvement game needs a bit more complex income-expense system beyond he collect rent/sell stuff - buy stuff idea. But I'm in what I assume to be the tutorial parts of the game.
Besides these, inability to scroll after selecting a building, the lack of user oriented UI like right click menus and other stuff that we are now accustomed to, and similar issues still exists but I assume and hope that those will be fixed.

Ah yeah, the controlling issues are actually true, but they said on Steam forums they'll fix them in an upcoming update.

For the buildings that seem unrelated to each other, I guess in some way it could be because ancient Rome used to cover every empty spot in marble bricks while in the frontier stuff were built kinda randomly on rough terrain.
While it is true that stores/manifacturers could be "linked" with wooden boardwalks, houses building, when upgraded to Townhouses seems pretty fine with adjacent housing building of the same "class".

Anyway, after a little bit more of playing, I guess the biggest problem of the game is that it gets really easy money-wise after you manage to get a couple of trade routes running. Then it basically is a matter of sell all / buy all every couple of minutes, your houses upgrades and rents become so much higher than wages, you basically cannot lose money anymore.
Also I'm taking always the "gold medal" improvement in every map (that I guess is the hardest one?), and the only thing I kind of always miss is the very first telegram, because usually it asks for resources I've not built anything to get and I'm still struggling to get my economy up and running.

Acccent

Hahaha well I don't know the ethics of it due to you having a hand in setting it up but I put a copy of System Shock 2 in for Doc's fundraiser giveaway.

oh I can participate in that! I don't have anything to do with the thread, just made the fundraiser page :p
(I just promised myself that if I won anything I'd add like 50% of the game's value to my donation)

wetflame

Pizza Dog

Tell me about it, when the rewards for Fez came up I was kicking myself as I'd already got all the achievements, which I'd also done on the 360. Funnily enough, I'd got all the achievements for Saints Row the Third on the PS3, I just didn't feel like doing the same again on PC this time around, which has netted me about a quid. I guess it's swings and roundabouts.

Why cant they just make it retroactive...I mean they are promoting you playing these specific games but if you already beat them...you should be rewarded more if anything

zkylon

zkylewd
ss2 is so overrated anyways

psychic monkeys?

pls

Why cant they just make it retroactive...I mean they are promoting you playing these specific games but if you already beat them...you should be rewarded more if anything
at least some or giving me like half the $ or something

i mean i just feel like instead of being good 'ol positive reinforcement it ends up warping your feelings about having completed games because you know you could've gotten money for it

like i've been taking my time with dark souls 2 and i missed some achievements on playfire and i feel kinda bad for it

that's just really weird

JaseC

The logic behind the program is that it'll bring enough new business to GMG to make up the losses incurred by handing out credit, so the existence of the system depends upon the majority of people unlocking only some of the achievements within the rewards period.

Ah yeah, the controlling issues are actually true, but they said on Steam forums they'll fix them in an upcoming update.

For the buildings that seem unrelated to each other, I guess in some way it could be because ancient Rome used to cover every empty spot in marble bricks while in the frontier stuff were built kinda randomly on rough terrain.
While it is true that stores/manifacturers could be "linked" with wooden boardwalks, houses building, when upgraded to Townhouses seems pretty fine with adjacent housing building of the same "class".

Anyway, after a little bit more of playing, I guess the biggest problem of the game is that it gets really easy money-wise after you manage to get a couple of trade routes running. Then it basically is a matter of sell all / buy all every couple of minutes, your houses upgrades and rents become so much higher than wages, you basically cannot lose money anymore.
Also I'm taking always the "gold medal" improvement in every map (that I guess is the hardest one?), and the only thing I kind of always miss is the very first telegram, because usually it asks for resources I've not built anything to get and I'm still struggling to get my economy up and running.

It kinda looks like Unknown Horizons to me, graphics-wise:
Code:
[URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unknown_Horizons"][IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/Unknown_horizons_3176.PNG[/IMG][/URL]

Question about transfering Steam Folder.

I know you can move your steam folder onto a new harddrive within the same computer but is it possible to transfer my Steam folder to my desktop from my laptop so I can play all the games (installed) without downloading them again?

JaseC

I know you can move your steam folder onto a new harddrive within the same computer but is it possible to transfer my Steam folder to my desktop from my laptop so I can play all the games (installed) without downloading them again?

Install the client then just copy your steamapps folder over before signing in.

zkylon

zkylewd
The logic behind the program is that it'll bring enough new business to GMG to make up the losses incurred by handing out credit, so the existence of the system depends upon the majority of people unlocking only some of the achievements within the rewards period.
feels to me like they could do something like give you a max amount of money per week or month and just remove time limits and all that crap

at least for old games, so maybe you have an incentive to buy games from them or something

i dunno, this just feels super weird

i kinda regret knowing about it

Arthea

feels to me like they could do something like give you a max amount of money per week or month and just remove time limits and all that crap

It's still system that should sell games on gmg, if you already have a game and beaten it, why would they want to reward you? From their point of view current system makes sense.

Copons

It kinda looks like Unknown Horizons to me, graphics-wise:
Code:
[URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unknown_Horizons"][IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/Unknown_horizons_3176.PNG[/IMG][/URL]

Ah, seems cool! I'm totally gonna try it as soon as I get back home!

Dr Dogg

oh I can participate in that! I don't have anything to do with the thread, just made the fundraiser page :p
(I just promised myself that if I won anything I'd add like 50% of the game's value to my donation)

That's good then. That's twice I've give away something that people are after and what with Stump wanting Deadfall and now this. I'm surprised we haven't done a SteamGAF Secret Santa type thing before.

What I do is move everything in ..\common\steamapps to the new machine and either put in the main install folder or create a new one on a different drive via the Steam Client and put it there. Sometimes it does need to get a few redistubutable for games like specific DX or C ++ packages but takes next to no time to sort out.

Looks I got 2.0. What different between 2.0 and 2.5?
http://community.clickteam.com/threads/83466-Clickteam-is-proud-to-present-Clickteam-Fusion-2-5

Nice, I've never heard of it.
How does it compare with other tools (Construct, Stencyl, GameMaker)? I'm currently using C2, but sometimes I feel a little constricted by some of its limitations and I'd use Stencyl if it didn't export only Flash files (and I hate GM layout editor).
Heard of Multimedia Fusion?

Fusion and Construct seems very similar to one and another, having very limited experience with Construct 2 though I can't really say who would win the fight in the long run, but you should feel right at home using Fusion. People are comparing all of those tools all the time though

But I'm stubborn and been using Fusion on and off for probably a decade now, so it's too late for me to change now.

Copons

Fearless Fantasy is so weird, sorta want. (><)
really, check trailer
FF lol

But but but he copied the Goat Sim review...

http://community.clickteam.com/threads/83466-Clickteam-is-proud-to-present-Clickteam-Fusion-2-5

Heard of Multimedia Fusion?

Fusion and Construct seems very similar to one and another, having very limited experience with Construct 2 though I can't really say who would win the fight in the long run, but you should feel right at home using Fusion. People are comparing all of those tools all the time though

But I'm stubborn and been using Fusion on and off for probably a decade now, so it's too late for me to change now.

Ah! I didn't make the connection between the two Fusions, even though it was clearly displayed in their product list on their site...
Well then, I've heard of it, but I've never tried it because reasons I can't remember but I should have them written down somewhere when I started making pros/cons lists about every game dev tools I could find some time ago.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's still system that should sell games on gmg, if you already have a game and beaten it, why would they want to reward you? From their point of view current system makes sense.
cos getting free money gets you logged into the site, maybe check out the sales, etc.

i dunno, i haven't bought a game on gmg in a long time and i don't even know why i bother doing this stuff, but i just find this to be a very awkward and frustrating system

JaseC

The site got Saoirse the first time, I'm impressed. :)

I wasn't sure how to answer the vampire question, but I figured that there can't be many Irish actresses who've played a vampire (<pedantic> although Eleanor technically isn't a vampire </pedantic>).

Arthea

Played Akinator to see if I could get JaseC as a result

This is what I got

pic
Kirigaya Kazuto / Kirito
Sword Art Online

Was I close?

you are an evil person, why you reminded me of it!
Here hoes my productive work day...
Anyway, that's what I got for Godzilla (><)

edited: I see Godzi destroying interents for this insult

edit2: this reminds me that we really need at least one Godzi game on steam, it's unfinished without

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom