• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryne

Is it region locked? Trying to take advantage of a low price before Steam switches to regional pricing and we get screwed :(

derExperte

Is it region locked? Trying to take advantage of a low price before Steam switches to regional pricing and we get screwed :(

Like with Bound by Flames curiously only the CD key subs are locked and IP restricted and there doesn't seem to be a trading restriction in place. Yet.

Tizoc

Killer Is Dead was like, one of my favorite games from last year, so yeah...get it

It was my GotY 2013...can I vote for it again in 2014? =P

Seriously though 60 FPS, proper VSYNC and all that jazz is just gonna make this game be like sex with Mondo.

Thanks for the heads up!

You're welcome, if you are interested I can elaborate a little more, only a few lines to give you an idea of the gameplay - so far I've clocked just 5 hours of gameplay so mine is not intended as a full review of the game.

Basically you run a restaurant and your clients are monsters: zombies, vampires, werewolves etc.

The monsters stay in line outside the restaurant and you have not to let them wait too long - otherwise they get upset and leave, so no money from them - you are the waiter and have to be quick to find a table and serve them their dinner asap, so that other customers can take their place and have their dinner and so on, until the level is finished; if you gain more than a star you pass the level, if not you fail.

A combo-system rewards you with some bonus points/money, so in order to improve your score you must do a lot of multitasking and planning things ahead, as for instance werewolves cannot sit near to vampires - unless skeletons sit near to werewolves - so if you want to do a perfect score you have to streamline each single move and be quick.

Each stage take just a few minutes, so it may be the perfect fix if you feel like chilling out and you haven't got much time for a long session.

I got FootLOL: Epic Fail League from a bundle recently and for whatever reason decided to check it out. It interested me because from the screenshots (1, 2, 3) I thought it'd be like a Mario Strikers type game. It turned out that instead of controlling the players, they play by themselves and you simply have to use the abilities you chose before the match to mess with the opponent players or buff your own players. I've only played for about 2.5 hours, just enough to get some new abilities. I don't know if I'll play much more, but it was a fun diversion. Unfortunately, so far I've had a lot of luck just spamming the opponent's goalie with mines instead of making use of the other abilities available to me. I imagine that strategy won't work later in the game though.

It has cards though.

Dambrosi

Banned
Killer is Dead is available for pre-purchase on Steam now.
Eh, not a bad price there. Though I'm overloaded with games at the moment, I'll probably get this some time later in the summer
on sale

Now that I've got Outlast, I think Dreadout and FF3 PC are all I'm really looking out for. Transistor looks good, but i don't rate Bastion all that much, so I need some convincing on that front, especially since my funds this summer are going to be kind of limited.

Ruruja

Hmm, £17.99. I thought it'd be a bit cheaper than that. I'll wait.

wat.jpg

Dat UK hatred.

Parsnip

Finished Dark Souls 2, I guess? Credits rolled.
Incredibly underwhelming last boss and ending though.
Now I need to find out everything I missed and the consequences of the people I kind of killed.

Knights of the Old Republic is such a pain in the ass to get to run on Windows 7. You have to download a legacy DirectX 9 driver and run the game in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode otherwise the game will simply minimise after the logo movies for Lucas Arts and Bioware are done playing. It will be completely unresponsive and you can't switch back to the .exe by manually clicking on it on your taskbar or by trying to use the task manager. Now I just need to get the widescreen mode to behave nicely.

Fake edit: Wait, now it's not making it past the Lucas Arts logo. Fuck it, I'm done.

i haven't played no more heroes 2 or killer is dead but shadows of the damned is my favorite suda game this gen.

i'll definitely grab this one on PC though, always up to try one of his games.

Grief.exe

Now I need to find out everything I missed and the consequences of the people I kind of killed.

I agree, but I'm going to make a lore argument for a second.

I don't want to get too deep into it so as not to spoil too much, but
much like Gwynn in the first game, it would seem that Nashandara is weak for a reason. I wish the last boss would be punishing, and I felt underwhelmed initially as well.

Nashandara, like the serpents in Dark Souls 1, has been manipulating you in order to acquire Vendrick's ring the entire time. Before Vendrick hollowed, he realized what Nashandara's true purpose was, so he set up gates and his most loyal men around Drangleic to keep her out.
If she was insanely powerful, she could just get past the Looking Glass Night and Velstadt herself to get to the Throne of Want.

I also think she couldn't get through the Shrine of Amana as she is created from the Dark and that shrine was specifically set up to keep those at bay. But that is pure speculation on my part.

Dambrosi

Banned
Just like Dark Souls 1, then.

The Souls games aren't about the destination, but the journey
and the New Game +

rookiejet

The game looks very WiiU-ish, in that there's a light sheen on everything, like in the Super Mario Galaxy games, which IMO looks very attractive.

It's called rim lighting. I think the first Galaxy popularized it. It's very nice when done well (i.e. in Nintendo's games.)

Dambrosi

Banned
They ban you if they catch you?
OOooooooohohohohhoHELL yes. And they take away all access to your games too.

If you want Russian-region games, trade for them with TF2 keys, or maybe better still, ask JaseC foi help. Who knows, he might actually help you.

It's called rim lighting. I think the first Galaxy popularized it. It's very nice when done well (i.e. in Nintendo's games.)
It wasn't the first game to do it, though. I believe that was Vagrant Story on the PS1.

derExperte

OOooooooohohohohhoHELL yes. And they take away all access to your games too.

Not anymore, the account becomes restricted, meaning no more buying games and trading. But yes, on't use VPN, it can work without a problem but sometimes something tips them off and then *bam* (happend to me two times a few years ago).

Parsnip

I agree, but I'm going to make a lore argument for a second.

I don't want to get too deep into it so as not to spoil too much, but
much like Gwynn in the first game, it would seem that Nashandara is weak for a reason. I wish the last boss would be punishing, and I felt underwhelmed initially as well.

Nashandara, like the serpents in Dark Souls 1, has been manipulating you in order to acquire Vendrick's ring the entire time. Before Vendrick hollowed, he realized what Nashandara's true purpose was, so he set up gates and his most loyal men around Drangleic to keep her out.
If she was insanely powerful, she could just get past the Looking Glass Night and Velstadt herself to get to the Throne of Want.

I also think she couldn't get through the Shrine of Amana as she is created from the Dark and that shrine was specifically set up to keep those at bay. But that is pure speculation on my part.
I didn't think it was possible, but it feels like the lore in Dark Souls 2 is even more vague and out there than it was in the first game. Lots of reading to be done I guess.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Killer Is Dead bought for 6 keys. Really surprised it wasn't locked down tbh since Deep Silver is publishing. I guess there's still time, as long as they don't fuck me with the 'runinonly....' flag :p

derExperte

Killer Is Dead bought for 6 keys. Really surprised it wasn't locked down tbh since Deep Silver is publishing. I guess there's still time, as long as they don't fuck me with the 'runinonly....' flag :p

They can't, there's only one sub for everyone who's buying through the Steam store right now.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
......That makes playfire useless because 9 times out of 10 25 percent off is going to be more than the credit I have. Guess it can go towards very small, cheap games :/
Or you can be patient and save them until there are sales :p
Seriously, I have already made over $20 in barely a month (and spent 12 of those on Injustice when it was on sale).

Wow how do I get it using Russian space bucks? VPN?
No, never do that, you'll get banned and lose access to your library.
If you want it cheap you'll have to trade for it.

Knights of the Old Republic is such a pain in the ass to get to run on Windows 7. You have to download a legacy DirectX 9 driver and run the game in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode otherwise the game will simply minimise after the logo movies for Lucas Arts and Bioware are done playing. It will be completely unresponsive and you can't switch back to the .exe by manually clicking on it on your taskbar or by trying to use the task manager. Now I just need to get the widescreen mode to behave nicely.

Fake edit: Wait, now it's not making it past the Lucas Arts logo. Fuck it, I'm done.
Is this the only game that gave you such issues? Trying it vanilla or using mods?
I played it on Windows 7 without a hitch and didn't have to install anything or set compatibility, and just booted it on 8.1.1 and it works fine.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
You're welcome, if you are interested I can elaborate a little more, only a few lines to give you an idea of the gameplay - so far I've clocked just 5 hours of gameplay so mine is not intended as a full review of the game.

Basically you run a restaurant and your clients are monsters: zombies, vampires, werewolves etc.

The monsters stay in line outside the restaurant and you have not to let them wait too long - otherwise they get upset and leave, so no money from them - you are the waiter and have to be quick to find a table and serve them their dinner asap, so that other customers can take their place and have their dinner and so on, until the level is finished; if you gain more than a star you pass the level, if not you fail.

A combo-system rewards you with some bonus points/money, so in order to improve your score you must do a lot of multitasking and planning things ahead, as for instance werewolves cannot sit near to vampires - unless skeletons sit near to werewolves - so if you want to do a perfect score you have to streamline each single move and be quick.

Each stage take just a few minutes, so it may be the perfect fix if you feel like chilling out and you haven't got much time for a long session.

Hey, thanks for the impressions. The game sounds intriguing. I was initially going to put the game into my list of games to try on a rainy day, but I think I am going to start a playthrough now.

Skyzard

Banned
With Bioshock Infinite being on sale I was wondering how much of the game is based in dingy corridors and underground/dark places? I like the outside fighting, I could put up with the shooting mechanics (that I've experienced with previous entries) if it was all nice and pretty most of the time...

anyone able to give me an approximate split of how much of the gameplay is spent outside?

Less eerie, more bulletstorm.

Oh also, are the dlc significant enough that it's worth waiting for a complete Bioshock Infinite (sale)?

Copons

Sooooo, I know I've been a huge pain in the arse the last few days, with a lot of whining and bitching so, to celebrate the arrival of my new shiny credit card just as I got home from work this evening, I guess there's nothing better than a good old school FPS I've just bought myself!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Shadow Warrior -- MB-DF1923D6663B48AE - Taken by MarcoZombieCannon. 8 entrants total.

t1399677724z1.png

yeah I know, basically everything else could be better than this giveaway, but still! :D

With Bioshock Infinite being on sale I was wondering how much of the game is based in dingy corridors and underground/dark places? I like the outside fighting, I could put up with the shooting mechanics (that I've experienced with previous entries) if it was all nice and pretty most of the time...

anyone able to give me an approximate split of how much of the gameplay is spent outside?

Less eerie, more bulletstorm.

Oh also, are the dlc significant enough that it's worth waiting for a complete Bioshock Infinite (sale)?
You're outside more than you're inside, and when you are inside it's usually similarly well lit. Only one area I can think of could be described as dark and dingy, but that's balanced in other visual ways to make up for it. It's 'nice and pretty' for the majority of the game.

The complete Burial At Sea DLC is like 6-8 hours long, and is definitely worth checking out.

Grief.exe

I didn't think it was possible, but it feels like the lore in Dark Souls 2 is even more vague and out there than it was in the first game. Lots of reading to be done I guess.

It's really quite insane how much starts falling together once you start reading item descriptions and matching that up with what NPCs are saying.

Postal 2 is 70% off at only $2.99. The screens and trailer look pretty old, but kind of interesting. Is it worth it at all?

I saw a thread the other day where the game just got Steam Achievements. Haven't cared enough to check the validity of that.

Copons

Not really. Shadow Warrior is one of the better games from last year. Great giveaway.

I hope so! It's been in my wishlist since forever so I'm very eager to finally try it!

But I meant more the fact that it's heavily discounted right now, hinting to my neverending cheapassery.

EDIT: since this is the first post of the page, there's a Shadow Warrior giveaway running for another 3 mins or so http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=111324220&postcount=7046

Skyzard

Banned
^ Where is it discounted? I'm also looking to pick it up but it's £30 on steam for me...

edit - oh shit, i see it on humblebundle now, thanks

You're outside more than you're inside, and when you are inside it's usually similarly well lit. Only one area I can think of could be described as dark and dingy, but that's balanced in other visual ways to make up for it. It's 'nice and pretty' for the majority of the game.

The complete Burial At Sea DLC is like 6-8 hours long, and is definitely worth checking out.

Thank you, think I'll wait for a bigger sale with the dlc.

cities in motion 2, yay or nay?

Sooooo, I know I've been a huge pain in the arse the last few days, with a lot of whining and bitching so, to celebrate the arrival of my new shiny credit card just as I got home from work this evening, I guess there's nothing better than a good old school FPS I've just bought myself!

yeah I know, basically everything else could be better than this giveaway, but still! :D
Thank you so much for Shadow Warrior, Copons! It's been at the top of my wishlist for quite a while now. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom