• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you vote for more than 1 game in Steam GOTY no?

Yeah but let's be honest, nobody really cares what their number 8 game is.

Actually I think I'd struggle to list more than a couple of games I've enjoyed so far this year. Maybe Escape Goat 2, Hearthstone and umm...

hmm.

Is Starbound worth getting yet? I have the cash in my GMG/Playfire account to get it but i'm just wondering how it's going as it's still in Early Access stage. How is it content wise in comparison to Terraria?

I caved and bought Dragon Age: Origins, and also Game Dev Tycoon and Super Meat Boy, so that should keep me busy this weekend.

Dambrosi

Banned
GAF who do I gotta Praise for this masterpiece to be on Steam?
456714-mwc_wp1_1024.jpg

Because I would praise SO HORD to fuck up America as the President.
Hmm, you'd have to praise someone high up at Kadokawa Games, I suppose, since they own FROM Software now.

Is Starbound worth getting yet? I have the cash in my GMG/Playfire account to get it but i'm just wondering how it's going as it's still in Early Access stage. How is it content wise in comparison to Terraria?

I caved and bought Dragon Age: Origins, and also Game Dev Tycoon and Super Meat Boy, so that should keep me busy this weekend.
There's tons of good games coming next week and the week after (like Dreadout and Transistor, among others), I'd just wait until Monday to see what the asking prices are.

DA:O would take a lot more than a weekend to play.

GAF who do I gotta Praise for this masterpiece to be on Steam?
456714-mwc_wp1_1024.jpg

Because I would praise SO HORD to fuck up America as the President.
GRRRRR! I saw this and got excited, thinking it was coming to Steam. Please don't play with my emotions like that. :( I've wanted this game for YEARS!

Dark Forces, I have beaten you!

I only just noticed Kyle's wearing a modified Stromtrooper suit under his jacket
...and it's dark.

Great game. I only wish the Concussion Rifle and Smugglers got more attention due to basically being double-edged hitscan that doesn't do a alleyway/corridor-based game much good. There are occasional moments on Hard where it seems like the level designers just wanted to fuck with the player, rather than engineer a constant upward grade in challenge. The Arc Hammer, thankfully, is a great map, linear but packed with great battles and a final boss more interesting than any other I've fought in a '90s FPS. The last three maps in general successfully incorporate most of the previous maps' gimmicks into an expansive endgame, though the Dianogas aren't present. After playing through the opening map one more time, I think the big difference in difficulty is mission length and prioritizing item pick-ups and routes through areas or event horizons. Using a lives system works well because there's an additional conflict between the player and the designer, in that finding secrets becomes even more imperative than normal. Some jumps are so daunting you can't help but clear out the other stuff first, only to realize the drop wasn't so rough.

If there's anything defining this game against Doom, Marathon, or Heretic from around the time of release, it's establishing a sense of place within a previously-built world, to the point that level design that would seem abstract in another game is perfectly natural for Star Wars. Marathon's gimmick is to let the player roam through conceptual map layouts with computer logs informing how they should imagine the space. Heretic and Doom both aim for a sense of space, that these environments could be inhabited with frequency, but still relies on their fantastic settings to justify how inefficient many of these structures are. Without logs or an original premise, Dark Forces' mapping is built around long build-ups and pausing in action, alternation between running around in spaces and zipping in and out of corridors, and the contrast between Imperial architecture and more organic layouts. A ridiculously-shaped Imperial ship just won't feel the same as a sewer system, or the patchwork pathways of Nar Shaddaa, or the cliffs outside enemy installations. Having a pulpy plot centering around the Dark Troopers also gives a thematic progression, which is an important step towards more story-based FPS games. One disconnect between the exciting story and game is Jabba's Palace, which, outside of the opening Kell Dragon punch-out (taking on four of them got pretty uninteresting after a while), is just too linear and easy a map compared to its brethren. What could have been an epic high point to Kyle's journey gets reduced to numerous long hallways that do not evoke a Hutt palace, something that even Nar Shaddaa avoids. Mid-game's still better and more interesting than the opening stages, but it transitions poorly to the late-game stages.

Condensed ammo pools for weapons, added in with distorted freelooking and vertical movement, also changes the game quite a bit. Jumping's used for precision, not quickly gliding over successive surfaces while trying to not to fall into a chasm. Crouching makes stealth more viable as a tactic (not a level strategy, as it were); I still wish one of the mappers would have put a secret in one of the computer terminals I had fun jumping into. Like later in Jedi Outcast, there's this passing between careful sniping from a range and graceful movement between groups of mooks that, at times, can be extreme. Unlike Outcast, the enemy AI's not as advanced, though still up there for its time—each enemy type covers well the kinds of situations the designers were interested in, and diversity means little overlap. Some enemies, like the officers, seem vestigial (do they affect group coordination if they're killed?), but Grans, Prototype Dark Troopers, and Sentries respectively snuff you out of hiding, deflect shots and panic you in tight spaces, and roam around the playing area shooting from high and low. Weapon progression isn't as interesting, since the blaster shotgun and Concussion Rifle are either too tedious or too dangerous to use. I ended up relying on the Repeater for long-distance rapid-fire, the Bryar for sniping, and the Imperial Rifle because, well, the game forces you to, what with the abundance of ammo and need to fire lots of shots quickly. Alt-fires make this one stand out, though I think the items are more important. Marathon had dual-wielding and momentum-specific punching; Doom had the BFG's hitscan and highly specific uses for guns; Heretic supplemented a like weapon set with innovative items and a hotbar inventory. Dark Forces lets you drop t-dets and fire missiles from the Cutter, yet having to collect batteries for Kyle's tools to operate is built upon better through the late-game level design. Using the headlight in the dark and wearing infrared goggles even shows off the Jedi engine, which at the time must have been a stunner (set the stage for Build, even).

Above all, this is a high bar for Dark Forces II to beat. I've heard about how much more complex and Hexen-ish its map layouts are compared to this, which has me both excited and worried. Not that any of the maps in this game are confusing, but there's maps like the Detention Center where you have two elevators and the more immediate, attractive option to go down the second makes it difficult get back to the first! More stuff like this means a greater potential for error, though running Jedi Knight on recent Windows is probably the biggest misery people are dealing with. Being able to play at the proper resolution will be a step up from DOSBox, thankfully...

Tizoc

People say that the best From Software game is one of the Souls games.
Those people are wrong because they are believing the lies of RICHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD.

GRRRRR! I saw this and got excited, thinking it was coming to Steam. Please don't play with my emotions like that. :( I've wanted this game for YEARS!

Look at the bottom right of the image. This year is the game's 10th anniversary...

Lain

I wish Diablo 3 was on Steam, because if things keep up like they have, thanks to the RoS expansion it's going to end being my GOTY.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Calibre 10 Racing Alpha -- MB-021247834EAF9906 - Taken by BernardoOne. 3 entrants total.

t1399693400z1.png

Good luck

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gentlemen! -- MB-B6E2CCD3DC064B1F - Taken by topyy. 3 entrants total.
Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe -- MB-9392C3AF6D820BDC - Taken by BorntoPlay. 3 entrants total.
Gravity Badgers -- MB-5CB24D20F6E5819E - Taken by kurahador. 1 entrants total.
Knytt Underground -- MB-C84B724938346556 - Taken by pupo. 1 entrants total.
Skyward Collapse -- MB-6456A5DFC51B15E0 - Taken by FiveElementNinja. 1 entrants total.
Major Mayhem -- MB-30B1F442F78BD59E - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 1 entrants total.
Vanguard Princess -- MB-2986E6829FF8BDD0 - Taken by Gez. 1 entrants total.
Really Big Sky -- MB-AE2665B13F7F3F0F - Taken by Ezalc. 2 entrants total.
To The Moon -- MB-DB18560AB53CF399 - Taken by Dice. 2 entrants total.

t1399693290z1.png

Is this the only game that gave you such issues? Trying it vanilla or using mods?
I played it on Windows 7 without a hitch and didn't have to install anything or set compatibility, and just booted it on 8.1.1 and it works fine.

It doesn't run at all with the vanilla install and it seems like I'm not the only person with this issue.

Card Boy

Banned
Sonic 4 is so bad. I don't have an issue with the movement but the random deathtraps you can't see is annoying as fuck. Also half the Robotnic fights are ripped straight out of previous Sonic games.

Sonic 4 is so bad. I don't have an issue with the movement but the random deathtraps you can't see is annoying as fuck. Also half the Robotnic fights are ripped straight out of previous Sonic games.
Yeah, despite being a Sequel to Sonic 3 it likes to reuse a lot of themes and set pieces from earlier sonic games, I finished the first ep, but I got bored playing through Ep2 and watched a LP of it instead where people joked about it and that made it bearable.

Sky Chief

I am having trouble with Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed. The game starts up and the intro movie plays but then the screen is black. I can still select options in the menu and start "playing" but there is no image on the screen. Help please.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not anymore, the account becomes restricted, meaning no more buying games and trading. But yes, on't use VPN, it can work without a problem but sometimes something tips them off and then *bam* (happend to me two times a few years ago).

To add to this, if your account is restricted you also can't activate gifts or redeem keys (i.e. you can't obtain new games at all) and in some cases you may also be locked out of Steam Community entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom