• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgone

The daily's 75% off Magicka ($2.49). It's just been shamed off the front page. Or was it yesterday's? It's still at the top of the news ticker, so that's a little weird. Maybe there's a hostage situation. The knife room has been captured

Aerocrane

Sumo is working on a racing game with wide range of vehicles, maybe it's a game that uses the Ferarri license!

If it's OutRun 3, SEGA will be burning away the money they got from the PC sales :p
iVbOh8IcxP3pq.gif

I'm assuming that it's support work on GRID Autosport rather than a new title from Sumo.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Humble trying hard to become an Indiegala tier bundle site.

Even Indiegala doesn't sink so low these days

indiegala isnt even the worst bundlesite, not by a longshot. of the..."main ones", indieroyale is the worst, and stuff like flying bundle is also worse

I would rank them Blinkbundle -> Bundlestars -> Indiegala / Humble -> Groupees -> Indieroyale -> random ones like flying / bandits

Authority

Banned
I don't really know what Kodoku is, I don't think it's a game that is released, and "Steings" gate (Steins;gate) isn't a JRPG, horror game except in the loosest sense, or dungeon crawler, but the genres you suggested aren't particularly strong on Steam. Among dungeon crawlers people would probably recommend Dungeons of Dredmor, but it's closer to the traditional roguelike dungeon crawler formula. Outcast and Amnesia are well-liked parts of the recent exploration horror genres, but neither are Japanese at all.

Outside of Steam, I know Corpse Party and its sidequel and sequel are well recommended and are Japanese horror-adventure type games. For J-Horror, the Fatal Frame series is very well regarded. 999 is a very well liked horror visual novel and Japanese. The entire Shin Megami Tensei series is well recommended, especially Nocturne. The Silent Hill series' earliest instalments (1-3 especially) are highly recommended, but they're a little less explicitly Japanese.

A game called Darkout just released on Steam and appears to be Japanese horror.

Right I see and thanks allot for the information.

I will personally get

Killer is Dead
Always Sometimes Monster
Agarest: Generations of War
Ys
Dragon Age: Origins and apply 4 mods - Forced Deathblows, Improved Atmosphere, JB3textures and Dragon Age Redesigned.

See the results for your self,
Leliana_character_guide.jpg

I have realized that action-oriented rpgs must have at least good graphics for me to enjoy them where as with these type of games,

z10878905Q,To-the-Moon.jpg

I do not mind at all. In fact I would like to know if any game on PC has the visual and game play such as The Moon and Corpse Party.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Shadow is a much more enjoyable game than 06 was, still laughably awful - but in a less offensive fashion. I'ld honestly of taken a Westopolis or Digital Circuit over any 06 level but alas. That said I hear a lot of people liked Generations' Crisis City.

It's bad when you know that Shadow the Hedgehog is a better game in comparison to another Sonic game. Honestly, Shadow the Hedgehog at least made me laugh for damn reasons.

i would love the coprse party games on steam :(

Seconded for reasons.

DukeBobby

Holy shit, Planet Wisp is a terrible stage in Sonic Generations.

Why am I changing into a spiked ball and moving stupid platforms while dodging rockets?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I have realized that action-oriented rpgs must have at least good graphics for me to enjoy them where as with these type of games,

z10878905Q,To-the-Moon.jpg

I do not mind at all. In fact I would like to know if any game on PC has the visual and game play such as The Moon and Corpse Party.

Visually, To the Moon is similar to other games that are made with RPG Maker.

To my knowledge, these aren't RPGs, but I could be wrong:

Always Sometimes Monsters
Actual Sunlight
Cherry Tree High Comedy Club (Uses modified RPG Maker engine or something like that, I think)

These are RPGs made in RPG Maker:

Skyborn
Deadly Sin 2
Legionwood 2
Sweet Lily Dreams
Aveyond: Lord of Twilight
Aveyond: Gates of Night (Sequel to the other game)
Last Dream

I've recently played these:

Millennium: A New Hope (It's okay, dialogue kind of awkward)
3 Stars of Destiny (It's okay, dialogue is kind of awkward)
The Book of Legends (It's okay, not as good looking as the other two, but writing is better)

There's probably more on the horizon as well thanks to Steam becoming more lax on what it lets through. It's pretty great.

What the actual hell?

tell me more

Note: This does not represent the entire tone of the game. Or the OVA. Or anything related to Corpse Party.

Knurek

The Book of Legends (It's okay, not as good looking as the other two, but writing is better)

Worth noting is that Aldorlea who developed all three games is, IIRC, just a single French guy who has been churning out RPG Maker games ever since 2001 or so.
He's definitely not a native speaker, and it painfully shows in his games. :\

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Worth noting is that Aldorlea who developed all three games is, IIRC, just a single French guy who has been churning out RPG Maker games ever since 2001 or so.
He's definitely not a native speaker, and it painfully shows in his games. :\

It really does. Some of the dialogue is stilted, but it's still serviceable. It's certainly not the worst dialogue I've ever stumbled upon, though.

Plus the developer is really active on the Steam forums offering help and giving info on the games, from what I've seen.

Zafir

Bumping this.
I get the same issue.

Forums said something about turning off family sharing and then trying it. I can't be bothered messing with family sharing myself though. I've had far too much trouble with it randomly revoking my access to friends games to risk it.

So does anyone have any advice on getting that Theater Critic Battleblock Theater achievement to pop? I'd like to get it to finish the playfire rewards for that and move on to another game like War of the Human Tanks.

Levyne

Banned
Was able to get 100 dollar steam credit from the target trade in dealio
and some PSN credit don't hurt me.

Ready for the summer sale!

Authority

Banned
Visually, To the Moon is similar to other games that are made with RPG Maker.

To my knowledge, these aren't RPGs, but I could be wrong:

Always Sometimes Monsters
Actual Sunlight
Cherry Tree High Comedy Club (Uses modified RPG Maker engine or something like that, I think)

These are RPGs made in RPG Maker:

Skyborn
Deadly Sin 2
Legionwood 2
Sweet Lily Dreams
Aveyond: Lord of Twilight
Aveyond: Gates of Night (Sequel to the other game)
Last Dream

I've recently played these:

There's probably more on the horizon as well thanks to Steam becoming more lax on what it lets through. It's pretty great.

Definitely sold on the following ones

Actual Sunlight
Sweet lily dream
The book of legends

By the way if you had to choose between Unchained Blades, Etrian Odyssey Untold : The Millennium Girl and Fire Emblem: Awakening which one would you choose?

denx

So Titanfall. I played for a bit and it's a very fun game indeed, and I want to play more, but I can tell it was released early as it's lacking variety in weapons, titans and game modes. The core gameplay is solid, and traversing the enviroments at high speeds parkour-style is a lot of fun, but it needs more content.

Also the fact that the only game mode in which I could find matches was attrition tells me the game could get old rather quickly.

edit: Has the Sega bundle been on sale on Humble Bundle yet? I'm kicking myself for missing on that bundle the first time it was available.

oipic

So does anyone have any advice on getting that Theater Critic Battleblock Theater achievement to pop? I'd like to get it to finish the playfire rewards for that and move on to another game like War of the Human Tanks.

I read elsewhere that others were attempting this by playing/rating arena maps (via co-op or vs modes in local play), but it needs to be done via Furbottom's Features instead - loading, quitting, then rating 10 separate levels when prompted should do the job, but having said that, I've had some issues with achievements not dropping at all (e.g. 'Black Marketeer' didn't drop for me until I purchased my second weapon).

Levyne

Banned

Actual Sunlight
Sweet lily dream
The book of legends

By the way if you had to choose between Unchained Blades, Etrian Odyssey Untold : The Millennium Girl and Fire Emblem: Awakening which one would you choose?

I've only played one of those, Fire Emblem, so that one!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Not sure if it's rpg maker (nor do I care) but Skyborn is awesome

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Between those three, I would go with Fire Emblem: Awakening. I haven't played Unchained Blades yet. I've played about half of EO Untold and I wasn't enjoying it as much as IV. It's still a good game, though. FE:A is one of my favorite games of last year, it's so good.

Zafir

Actual Sunlight
Sweet lily dream
The book of legends

Not played Unchained Blades due to it not being released in Europe, but out of the other two, Fire Emblem.

KarmaCow

Probably Awakening. I got bored of it before finishing it but I still spent a ton of time enjoying it. Untold is good too, especially if you skip the story mode, but there are few elements that bring down the entire experience like Floor Jump ruining the tension and the Grimoire system for getting new skills being a convoluted, grindy mess.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Still working on my horror RPG Maker game I mentioned in the last Steam thread to get on Steam, excited to show some progress when it gets further along.

Not sure if it's rpg maker (nor do I care) but Skyborn is awesome

It is RPG Maker, but it does look good.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Still working on my horror RPG Maker game I mentioned in the last Steam thread to get on Steam, excited to show some progress when it gets further along.

I am very excited to see this. You're one of the most passionate horror game proponents on GAF and knowing that you're working on one gets me a little giddy. Horror needs folks who are really in love with the genre to breathe some life into it.

Shade

Enjoy, all should be unused!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The MAW #8 -- MB-6A07EBF68D0FFB89 - Taken by XDDX. 4 entrants total.
The MAW #3 -- MB-2006786E524966A9 - Taken by saunderez. 3 entrants total.
The MAW #2 -- MB-DC04C59C44A2B980 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 4 entrants total.
Multiwinia -- MB-8C0F63F0BACA25E2 - Taken by bornlivedie. 2 entrants total.
The MAW #7 -- MB-6D994280AAB511C9 - Taken by Aaron. 4 entrants total.
The MAW #6 -- MB-6FC28FDA66940B47 - Taken by 73V3N. 3 entrants total.
The MAW #5 -- MB-C2BE4212F824FAA2 - Taken by En Ex. 5 entrants total.
The MAW #4 -- MB-A1D53F896FDF3FEF - Taken by trailmix16. 4 entrants total.
Defcon -- MB-085F3618FECEEFC8 - Taken by Majukun. 3 entrants total.
Darwinia -- MB-9BED116B6CE2827D - Taken by FauX. 2 entrants total.
Demigod -- MB-36B6586245F0BAB3 - Taken by Kifimbo. 15 entrants total.
Uplink -- MB-3508A514E5D0FDC9 - Taken by adriano999. 3 entrants total.
The MAW -- MB-71E037A2E7E714AE - Taken by topyy. 2 entrants total.

t1400468598z1.png

I read elsewhere that others were attempting this by playing/rating arena maps (via co-op or vs modes in local play), but it needs to be done via Furbottom's Features instead - loading, quitting, then rating 10 separate levels when prompted should do the job, but having said that, I've had some issues with achievements not dropping at all (e.g. 'Black Marketeer' didn't drop for me until I purchased my second weapon).

Yeah, I did that. I definitely rated 10+ from in game after going to LOCAL > Furbottom's Features. I'd load up a play list, play a level or two, then quit and it would bring up the ratings... I lazily gave everyone a thumbs up and no pop. :\

Rhaknar

That's a lot of Maw. Cool little game, finished on 360 and PC

topyy

dailyindiegame DIG Super Bundle 2
Choose your price ($1.49 minimum) or beat the average price and receive one extra key for each game. http://www.dailyindiegame.com/bundle_2.html

Super Panda Adventures (desura, in greenlight top 100)
Orborun(desura,greenlight)
SBX: Invasion(desura,greenlight)
Plazma Being(desura,greenlight)
SickBrick(desura,greenlight)
Great Permutator(desura,greenlight,4500 votes two months ago)
In Between(desura)
Wisps: The Redeeming(desura)

Finished Hexcells Plus and 1849 today. Some thoughts on both...

Holy shit, this whole time I thought I was just playing Hexcells. No idea how I missed that it was the standalone expansion, but I don't feel so bad about some of the later levels giving me trouble. I'm hoping the original isn't too easy now.

Anyway, brilliant Minesweeper game that absolutely does not require guesswork if you're patient. At first I was annoyed at the lack of a "retry" option, but now I think it would adversely affect the difficulty. The extra steps to back out of a puzzle into the level select screen was just enough time to reset my brain from cheating the puzzle by remembering what hexes went where. Mostly, anyway.

I loved the mechanics added in each World, but I was a little disappointed that the final level introduced one final "rule" not included in any other level. If they ever make a sequel or another standalone, I hope they expand on that feature.

---

1849 was so close to tapping into that old Caesar/Pharaoh/Zeus city-building nostalgia but ultimately came up short. Incredibly easy and shallow by comparison, and lacking in basic features that I feel are core to the genre. Most of the game's difficulty comes from what resources/buildings the game restricts you from using.

For one, not being able to automatically manage your imports/exports makes the game extremely tedious. Many maps force you to import food, booze, lumber, fabric, etc. with no option to produce them yourself. Ok, that's fine. But you have to buy everything manually! On import-reliant maps, especially for the big ones like food, booze, and lumber, most of the level is spent in the resource depot, buying up to the max (500) of each resource. Compare this to Zeus, where you can automatically import/export any resource up to the specified amount every month, and it just isn't fun. The game's interface is weird (but tolerable), and it's not something I'd want to force the player to use every 30 seconds.

It desperately needs hotkeys or someway to more easily place multiple buildings of the same type.

High unemployment and crime were underwhelming and never something I was concerned about. There needs to be more consequences for overpopulating your city, which is incredibly easy to do.

Some additional map interface options would be nice. Things like rotating the map or filter options that hide buildings temporarily. Some small buildings can be completely hidden behind larger ones.

Despite all that, I did enjoy 1849 overall, but it really was too easy and just made me want to reinstall Zeus/Poseidon.

For one, not being able to automatically manage your imports/exports makes the game extremely tedious.

The biggest problem I had with the game. On the other hand, without this manual job, you wouldn't have an awful lot else to do.

It is a nice base, maybe they'll get enough money to make something deeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom