• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaiserBecks

The Forest OT is done, I'll probably put it up this evening.

Need help with titles.

iRVLIWjF66M2i.png

The Forest |OT| Bad Things come in Trees

Grief.exe

Admittedly I haven't touched the game since it hit Steam last February. At the time the episodes were expected to be released just a few months apart, so after the first episode I figured I'd wait a year or so and play all of them back-to-back... but here we are 15 months later and there are still two episodes to go (not that I'm complaining about Cardboard taking its time to do things right).

Did they run into development problems?

AndyD

aka andydumi
The CPU just needs to be able to handle H.264 video decoding. So it doesn't need to be that powerful.

I know people were experimenting with fairly old CPUs with positive results.

Graphical effects would depend on the host rig, for decoding I would think only bandwidth matters (framerate, resolution).

Good to hear. It will be wired and the source PC is beefy enough to run the games smoothly. I am going to try it with an older laptop and see how it goes.

In the alternative, I guess I can run a long HDMI, or HDMI over ethernet. But I need a good bluetooth receiver for the PC. One that will give me 30-50ft range. Any suggestions?

JakeD

What bundle was that Chompy game in?

Edit: Nevermind, randomly found while going through my bundles.

i love the way groupees account page works now...when a familiar game gets released on steam i go there first and use their search. now if only indiegala and indieroyale implemented something similar...

i love the way groupees account page works now...when a familiar game gets released on steam i go there first and use their search. now if only indiegala and indieroyale implemented something similar...

Oh, I didn't even know you could search like that. I was just clicking on each bundle name and happened to see it.

dani_dc

Definitely out of luck, as I doubt I could find one right now (plus, I hail from Italy)

Well just have to keep looking, you never know when you'll find a good deal.

I'm the other way around actually. I preferred the story of Black Ops but just couldn't get into the MP. Gameplay wasn't anything too special over the previous CoD's but at least it wasn't the total bat shit insane plots of the Modern Warfare games. Last one I really enjoyed before going off the series.

I don't particularly care about the plots of this games, I can overlook those if the controls are good and the designs are interesting.
My issue with Black Ops is that I never felt like I was in control, it was all extremely scripted, even by CoD standards (I actually started playing MW at the same time and was surprised how less scripted it was compared to MW2 and especially Black Ops).

Human Tanks would be a good game if they didn't have 100+ pages of pointless dialogue in between every fight. Its like a visual novel with advance wars minigame.

Evrain

Right any advice if you can please SteamGAF. What's a good hacking game? I own Uplink but not tried it out yet and just noticed the Hacker: Evolution pack is -70% off on a weeklong. I'd prefer something more puzzle based and cerebral than linear and procedural if that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

I strongly suggest Uplink, and even more so the retail edition (which I own): it is tremendously immersive -the code grid comes printed on a special black card hidden within the jewel case, for example- and uses the stylized hacking made famous by '80s movies. Moreover, it gives the player complete freedom in what to do, how to do it and whether to follow the plot or ignore it entirely, playing until it unfolds to its end
and eventually bearing the consequences should the Revelation virus be successful
. Also, the ton of mods available should greatly expand its replay value.
Want to just go and hack the FBI? Do it. Want to rob a bank? Be the game's guest. Want to rob a company? They got you covered.
To sum it up, it's stylish, free-form and immersive, not to mention it tends to instill a certain feeling of paranoia in you. I can recall nervously glancing at the motion tracker indicator expecting the FBI to burst into my server room at any moment, as well as continuously checking the DSL router's lights should the simulation be... a little too real.

Not trying to incite panic, but the way that Indie Gala is handling keys starting with today's bundle has some pretty serious security implications.

For starters, if you redeem an Indie Gala gift link, anyone that has access to that link also has access to your email address and Steam account name.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they only have your Steam display/community name and no way to access your account name. It explicitly mentioned that in the Steam OpenID login process. I don't think that's too bad. And they always had access to your email address, since they had to send the gift there.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, Half-Minute Hero 1 and Peggle/Nights is on the weeklong sale.

Tempting.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they only have your Steam display/community name and no way to access your account name. It explicitly mentioned that in the Steam OpenID login process. I don't think that's too bad. And they always had access to your email address, since they had to send the gift there.

Yes, Indie Gala has always had your email address - but if you redeem a link given to you from someone else, that someone else now has access to your email address as well.

For example (and again, not trying to alarm anyone) I can see the email addresses and Steam names of the winners of my Modbot giveaway earlier. Don't worry, I won't email you guys.

I just wanted to put some caution out there for those that might click on a Indie Gala redemption URL that is posted publicly. If such a thing were to happen, everyone that clicked on that link following you adding the game to your Steam account would be able to view your email address.

EDIT: It doesn't show Steam account names (only the display / community name), but those can be obtained somewhat trivially if you know what you're doing

Zafir

He's not referring to buying and redeeming something you bought through it. He mean's if you redeem a gift someone has sent you. If you access that link again, it does indeed show the email, and the display name (not username).

Edit: Heh, beaten.

Aaron D.

Slightly off topic, but SteamGAF is BestGAF.

I'm having trouble optimizing SimCity 2013 through GeForce Experience. SimCity shows up when I refresh my game list, but the option to auto-tune the settings is grayed out along with the message, "Unable to retrieve all current settings. Try restarting the game or changing the settings within the game first."

I've troubleshot several ways, restarting the game, GeForce Experience, my laptop with repeat runs after toggling all possible graphic settings in the game menu. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the game to no avail. Google has also failed me in digging up a solution.

It wouldn't be a big deal, but I'm running a gaming laptop with Win 8.1, dual Nvidia GT650M SLI, i7 CPU & 7GB of ram. Point is that GeForce Exp. has been freakin' fantastic for squeezing out extra performance though analyzing my parts and auto-configuring each game's graphic settings.

Any idea what I try next, outside of giving my laptop a swift kick to get 'er going? On a side note, I also own The Sims 3, and GeForce Exp. detects and configures that game just fine, so I don't think it's an EA/Maxis thing.

Thanks for any hints!

sprinkles

Human Tanks would be a good game if they didn't have 100+ pages of pointless dialogue in between every fight. Its like a visual novel with advance wars minigame.
Human Tanks would be a good Visual Novel if it didn't have hours of pointless strategy gaming between the story. It is like a Panzer General clone with a Visual Novel sidestory.

didamangi

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ether Vapor Remaster -- MB-C25EBCEA48D076DB - Taken by cardinalmind

It's a pretty decent shoot 'em up, and you know, cards!
No, I'm not going to send you emails, pinky swear.

Dr Dogg

I don't particularly care about the plots of this games, I can overlook those if the controls are good and the designs are interesting.
My issue with Black Ops is that I never felt like I was in control, it was all extremely scripted, even by CoD standards (I actually started playing MW at the same time and was surprised how less scripted it was compared to MW2 and especially Black Ops).

CoD4: MW had some great moments where it gave you a scene and let you tackle it in a variety of way (well a handful) but true freedom of choice in a FPS has been a bit lacking in recent years. Still CoD loves those set piece moments.

I strongly suggest Uplink, and even more so the retail edition (which I own): it is tremendously immersive -the code grid comes printed on a special black card hidden within the jewel case, for example- and uses the stylized hacking made famous by '80s movies. Moreover, it gives the player complete freedom in what to do, how to do it and whether to follow the plot or ignore it entirely, playing until it unfolds to its end
and eventually bearing the consequences should the Revelation virus be successful
. Also, the ton of mods available should greatly expand its replay value.
Want to just go and hack the FBI? Do it. Want to rob a bank? Be the game's guest. Want to rob a company? They got you covered.
To sum it up, it's stylish, free-form and immersive, not to mention it tends to instill a certain feeling of paranoia in you. I can recall nervously glancing at the motion tracker indicator expecting the FBI to burst into my server room at any moment, as well as continuously checking the DSL router's lights should the simulation be... a little too real.

Hahaha well just installed that now (19mb was surprisingly small). From playing the tutorials and your description sounds like it ticks the right boxes nice soundtrack too.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just a good, ol' fashion Steam Key.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Subject 9 -- MB-5E95515E30F01554 - Taken by FiveElementNinja

mrgone

Not trying to incite panic, but the way that Indie Gala is handling keys starting with today's bundle has some pretty serious security implications.

For starters, if you redeem an Indie Gala gift link, anyone that has access to that link also has access to your email address and Steam account name.

Thanks for mentioning this! What the hell are they thinking?

Darkroronoa

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Vanguard Princess -- MB-C867923FD46A98E3 - Taken by pupo. 1 entrants total.
War Of the Human Tanks -- MB-BC8558F004FC9B7F - Taken by Kryptonite. 5 entrants total.
Ether Vapor Remaster -- MB-5E2038C8FC88F86E - Taken by Gravelord_Nito. 1 entrants total.

t1400537681z1.png

Bretty good games

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
How did people manage to get a hold of so many Dead Island Epidemic gifts?

Was it some free promotion or something? I'd like to try the game but I don't think I'll buy it

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at my budget.... may need to... not partake in the Summer Sale.

It's fine. I barely spend anything during Steam sales. I usually put $20 at most into my Steam wallet and buy only things that meet my strict criteria of:

1. Having very little chance at appearing in a bundle
2. Less than $5 (soft rule) or less than $10 (hard rule)
3. I will play before the next sale

Thanks to bundles and my backlog I only look forward to sales for their metagames and even those have been pretty bad for a couple of years now. It doesn't help that Vavle seems to schedule their sales for the only four weeks out of the year that I'm traveling.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yes, Indie Gala has always had your email address - but if you redeem a link given to you from someone else, that someone else now has access to your email address as well.

For example (and again, not trying to alarm anyone) I can see the email addresses and Steam names of the winners of my Modbot giveaway earlier. Don't worry, I won't email you guys.

I just wanted to put some caution out there for those that might click on a Indie Gala redemption URL that is posted publicly. If such a thing were to happen, everyone that clicked on that link following you adding the game to your Steam account would be able to view your email address.

EDIT: It doesn't show Steam account names (only the display / community name), but those can be obtained somewhat trivially if you know what you're doing

I've heard nothing but bad things about Indie Gala. Then again it was from another bundle's engineers, but they said some pretty damning stuff. Enough so that I'd never buy a bundle from them again.

Sulla1980

its the best game of last and this year. and its the only game JaseC has ever reviewed

Great game. The wait between episodes is a little painful, but they've been worth it. I actually just finished Act III last night and it's my favorite one so far.

*EDIT* They took away the option to buy individual episodes after the first Act. I don't think that option was very popular.

Alright, thanks! I'm looking forward to playing through it.

ArjanN

Apparently, Outlast has some tough achievements

UaiTF4N.png

They're really not that hard, any game where they added achievements after release has low completion percentages.

The 'insane' achievements are for beating the game without dying though. (which I think isn't that hard either, you just have to know the game pretty well.)

Hey guys I'm feeling like getting half minute hero or one way heroics. Both are dirt-cheap, but I just want to get the best one to play it now.

Any recommendations?

Nzyme32

Probably has to do with the millions pieces of DLC. I like jaundicejuice's idea though of having a space victory save starting off a Beyond Earth playthrough. Do it Firaxis!

I thought of the same thing when it got announced. The only real difference seems to be that the civ v science victory is to travel to alpha centauri where as it seems civ beyond earth is a bit further on in the time line, traveling to a miscelanious planet to make your own. It would be great if they let you link them somehow!

Randomly, there's a new Chris Nolan film "Interstellar" looking to release a few weeks before civ beyond earth. The film explores humans moving away from earth after a similar "great mistake" premise, so might be worth watching as a preamble :p

Levyne

Banned
Hey JaseC / other super smart steam duders.

Right now I'm holding off on pre-loading wolfenstein because I want to select another drive (without hassle). Upon release in my zone will it automatically go from "pre-load" to "install" or is there an additional step I have to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom