• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

At least tell me you've bought more than 54 games. After all, that's the most important thing. ;)

Is there a way to check that? Broke 1k for sure, so probably yea.

Yay! Didnt know that Z will be on steam in June. http://store.steampowered.com/app/275530
Man that game is so 90s ^^ will propably buy it out of nostalgia and than play it for 5 minutes.

Buy it fast, because you sure as hell won't be able to find it once it is removed from the New Releases tab.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
your avatar is creeping me out lately kourek, wheres that from?

Kyougar

Is there a way to check that? Broke 1k for sure, so probably yea.

Buy it fast, because you sure as hell won't be able to find it once it is removed from the New Releases tab.

It is on my Wishlist ;)

But yeah, the new releases are massive every day. seems like 5 to 10 old and new games every Day. (and honestly, I have no Problems with that. Better to search for the gem in the pile of garbage, than not releasing the gem because of strict publising guides.

your avatar is creeping me out lately kourek, wheres that from?

It is from Umineko no naku koro ni. A horror/Mystery Sound Novel

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I do have to ask though, what about things like steam trading as has been discussed on this thread, where it is obvious that the game is from Russian stores?

Don't worry about trading or individual traders; there's no evidence you can get hosed and if you're trading with keys, Valve can reverse the transaction. Paypal is a little riskier, but there are still good reputation systems and I'm not personally worried.

Important thing is to avoid unofficial key reseller stores. If it's too complicated to figure what's unofficial and what's not, stick to the white-list of allowed stores in the OP.

diskfuckingbusyillshomuqza.png

See that disk busy light? It's broken, like super broken. My disk is apparently busy once ever two microseconds which is messing with my steam downloads. I started that download 11 minutes ago and have downloaded roughly 371MB - which is like 1998 internet speeds all over again. It happens on my internal and external drives and the speed of the drive seems to be irrelevant? I can download using anything else at the full speed of my connection 16-17MB/S without issues, it's just steam that's being a huge douche about it.

I honestly think this is the worst downloader I've ever seen, Origin far surpasses it to the same external drive with the same internet connection. Is there any way to fix this? Where can I complain to Valve about this because this is beyond terrible. I'm also fairly sure my drive couldn't be this slow without being broken, and I know it isn't. This is agonizing tbh.

Dr Dogg

Speaking of Metro REDUX any ideas how long the loyalty discount is going to be available? There's a mention of preorder on the store page but I think they'll have come out before I get round to finishing 2033 let alone start on Last Light.

Kyougar

diskfuckingbusyillshomuqza.png

See that disk busy light? It's broken, like super broken. My disk is apparently busy once ever two microseconds which is messing with my steam downloads. I started that download 11 minutes ago and have downloaded roughly 371MB - which is like 1998 internet speeds all over again. It happens on my internal and external drives and the speed of the drive seems to be irrelevant? I can download using anything else at the full speed of my connection 16-17MB/S without issues, it's just steam that's being a huge douche about it.

I honestly think this is the worst downloader I've ever seen, Origin far surpasses it to the same external drive with the same internet connection. Is there any way to fix this? Where can I complain to Valve about this because this is beyond terrible.

This was just recently implemented (some months ago) But I had neve an issue with that. Works fine for me and mostly with maxspeed.

Jawmuncher

Speaking of Metro REDUX any ideas how long the loyalty discount is going to be available? There's a mention of preorder on the store page but I think they'll have come out before I get round to finishing 2033 let alone start on Last Light.

How good is the discount? Own both but never played them.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So been playing White Noise Online for a couple of hours with friends, going to play more today with some friends (my friends were way too ready to jump on this, I said we should play this and if people could help buy a four-pack it'd be helpful, we ended up getting four four-packs, so I guess we'll be having 3-4 games going simultaneously with a big call tonight), I also have played it on Xbox Live Indie, some impressions:

header_292x136.jpg

White Noise Online is multiplayer-based Slender-type game, by which I mean it's a horror game where you go around collecting eight randomly placed objects while avoiding a monster that's hunting you. Slenderman isn't actually involved here, and there's some twists to the formula here to keep it interesting, but the baseline is that this is an online co-op Slender-type game, and that fact will either sell you or turn you away from the game.

You play as one of over 20 characters in some very dark environment collecting cassettes. Strange statues line the environments, and a strange glowing monster chases you through the depths of darkness, with an intent to kill. However, the story here is rather non-existent, with the only narrative coming from an opening scene before the title screen, and the audio content that plays on the cassettes themselves when you pick them up.

ss_d72a954e656a4d07c939c780e5dce0f8c39019f5.600x338.jpg

The radios emit a static sound to alert you that they're nearby, which is helpful to the formula as the stages in this game are bigger than most Slender-type games and the monster is notably more aggressive. One feature kind of cool and creepy about the monster is that he makes appropriately unnerving sounds to both sort of alert you where he is, and unnerve you. It can be creepy to be in a tight-corridor area and not see him, but it sounds like he's right next to you. Staring at the monster will slowly deplete your 'health', and he'll kill you if you let him get too close to you. There are also green-glowing statues placed around the environment randomly, who staring at them or getting too close will have the same effects the monster has (though of course the statues can't move). The statues emit a static-sound similar to the radios (though different enough to tell), to lead players to a tricky end.

There are four difficulty levels, which mostly determine the difficulty of the monster and radio placement possibility.

The game also has a panic-system that's kind of similar to what you'll find in Clock Tower 3 or Haunting Ground. When you are isolated and alone, your character will start panicking (which can be noted when the character starts making panicked sounds and the screen starts acting up), and eventually starts tripping all over the place and making a lot of noise, which attracts the monster. This can be settled by either by collecting cassettes, or finding other people.

ss_6888aec684e28a8ea749b1c168d7ccf348d8f41f.600x338.jpg

How prone they are to this depends on what character you play as. There are over 20 different characters, and they all have different stats. These are represented by an image, and then a notice of if they're stronger or weaker in this area than other characters (represented by a +1 to +3, or a -1 to -3). Areas effected include sanity (take less damage from the monsters attacks), flashlight battery life (the longer you keep your flashlight on, the more it will flicker and start becoming dimmer and dimmer), movement speed, stamina (for running), scout (the further distance you can get from characters before panicking), evasion (how high you are on the monsters priority list), and more. You only start with four characters, while the other ones are unlocked by playing the game and accomplishing tasks.

There's also some fun multiplayer mechanics that are rather well thought-out. Firstly, death. When a player dies, they then become a ghost, which is visible to the living players as a blue silhouette of character that died. The ghosts can stick around the living players to help prevent them from panicking, or they can go out and scout for radios. The ghosts see the level much more brightly than the living do, and they also move a lot faster around the level. However, they cannot see the monster, but can spot radios. This can be helpful in downtime and to be helpful even after death. The second feature cool for multiplayer is the results screen, which displays fun information like the total distance each person walked, number of radios each individual collected, how many times they were hit by a scare attack and 'screamed', how long they survived, etc., along with a map that shows the routes that each player took during the course of the game.

The game currently has six maps, though the devs have noted if it does well they plan to add more. The maps are fairly varied, with themes like tropical island, government base, museum, snowy forest, and the like. There are three different map 'styles', with two maps under each style. The first is big-open levels that have monuments, like the original Slender. The second are closed-spaces interior maps with twisting corridors, rooms, and labyrinth-like structures. The final are 'island' stages, which has parts of levels connected with tunnels, bridges, and the like, with the level segments being separated like islands.

ss_c70c23870f8cf4cd0f75aa74599a2348aa9fb9a9.600x338.jpg

This game was an Xbox Live release originally, the main difference in the Steam version right now is that all characters are now unlockable (as opposed to some characters only obtainable by owning other games), and they've updated the graphics some, though more updates may arise in the future to further differentiate it.

In short, it's a very confident Slender game, actually one of my favorites. The online multiplayer is fun and well-thought out, and the game still manages to be tense and scary at times. If you like Slender-based games and have wanted or am interested in trying a multiplayer-based version of that type of game, this is it. There really isn't any better, and the game does very well at what it sets out to do. However, if you don't enjoy Slender-type games, or the multiplayer focus doesn't interest you, this probably won't interest you. The game maybe works better in short bursts than long marathons, but it's still a fun little multiplayer horror game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The image says it's a pre-purchase offer so I'd assume the discount expires come release. Before the date was changed to a vague "Summer 2014" it was August 30th, so assuming the latter is true as far as the month is concerned (the 30th in particular is unlikely, being a Saturday) you still have plenty of time to finish at least one of the games.

Jawmuncher

So been playing White Noise Online for a couple of hours with friends, going to play more today with some friends (my friends were way too ready to jump on this, I said we should play this and if people could help buy a four-pack it'd be helpful, we ended up getting four four-packs, so I guess we'll be having 3-4 games going simultaneously with a big call tonight), I also have played it on Xbox Live Indie, some impressions:

header_292x136.jpg

White Noise Online is multiplayer-based Slender-type game, by which I mean it's a horror game where you go around collecting eight randomly placed objects while avoiding a monster that's hunting you. Slenderman isn't actually involved here, and there's some twists to the formula here to keep it interesting, but the baseline is that this is an online co-op Slender-type game, and that fact will either sell you or turn you away from the game.

You play as one of over 20 characters in some very dark environment collecting cassettes. Strange statues line the environments, and a strange glowing monster chases you through the depths of darkness, with an intent to kill. However, the story here is rather non-existent, with the only narrative coming from an opening scene before the title screen, and the audio content that plays on the cassettes themselves when you pick them up.

ss_d72a954e656a4d07c939c780e5dce0f8c39019f5.600x338.jpg

The radios emit a static sound to alert you that they're nearby, which is helpful to the formula as the stages in this game are bigger than most Slender-type games and the monster is notably more aggressive. One feature kind of cool and creepy about the monster is that he makes appropriately unnerving sounds to both sort of alert you where he is, and unnerve you. It can be creepy to be in a tight-corridor area and not see him, but it sounds like he's right next to you. Staring at the monster will slowly deplete your 'health', and he'll kill you if you let him get too close to you. There are also green-glowing statues placed around the environment randomly, who staring at them or getting too close will have the same effects the monster has (though of course the statues can't move). The statues emit a static-sound similar to the radios (though different enough to tell), to lead players to a tricky end.

There are four difficulty levels, which mostly determine the difficulty of the monster and radio placement possibility.

The game also has a panic-system that's kind of similar to what you'll find in Clock Tower 3 or Haunting Ground. When you are isolated and alone, your character will start panicking (which can be noted when the character starts making panicked sounds and the screen starts acting up), and eventually starts tripping all over the place and making a lot of noise, which attracts the monster. This can be settled by either by collecting cassettes, or finding other people.

ss_6888aec684e28a8ea749b1c168d7ccf348d8f41f.600x338.jpg

How prone they are to this depends on what character you play as. There are over 20 different characters, and they all have different stats. These are represented by an image, and then a notice of if they're stronger or weaker in this area than other characters (represented by a +1 to +3, or a -1 to -3). Areas effected include sanity (take less damage from the monsters attacks), flashlight battery life (the longer you keep your flashlight on, the more it will flicker and start becoming dimmer and dimmer), movement speed, stamina (for running), scout (the further distance you can get from characters before panicking), evasion (how high you are on the monsters priority list), and more. You only start with four characters, while the other ones are unlocked by playing the game and accomplishing tasks.

There's also some fun multiplayer mechanics that are rather well thought-out. Firstly, death. When a player dies, they then become a ghost, which is visible to the living players as a blue silhouette of character that died. The ghosts can stick around the living players to help prevent them from panicking, or they can go out and scout for radios. The ghosts see the level much more brightly than the living do, and they also move a lot faster around the level. However, they cannot see the monster, but can spot radios. This can be helpful in downtime and to be helpful even after death. The second feature cool for multiplayer is the results screen, which displays fun information like the total distance each person walked, number of radios each individual collected, how many times they were hit by a scare attack and 'screamed', how long they survived, etc., along with a map that shows the routes that each player took during the course of the game.

The game currently has six maps, though the devs have noted if it does well they plan to add more. The maps are fairly varied, with themes like tropical island, government base, museum, snowy forest, and the like. There are three different map 'styles', with two maps under each style. The first is big-open levels that have monuments, like the original Slender. The second are closed-spaces interior maps with twisting corridors, rooms, and labyrinth-like structures. The final are 'island' stages, which has parts of levels connected with tunnels, bridges, and the like, with the level segments being separated like islands.

ss_c70c23870f8cf4cd0f75aa74599a2348aa9fb9a9.600x338.jpg

This game was an Xbox Live release originally, the main difference in the Steam version right now is that all characters are now unlockable (as opposed to some characters only obtainable by owning other games), and they've updated the graphics some, though more updates may arise in the future to further differentiate it.

In short, it's a very confident Slender game, actually one of my favorites. The online multiplayer is fun and well-thought out, and the game still manages to be tense and scary at times. If you like Slender-based games and have wanted or am interested in trying a multiplayer-based version of that type of game, this is it. There really isn't any better, and the game does very well at what it sets out to do. However, if you don't enjoy Slender-type games, or the multiplayer focus doesn't interest you, this probably won't interest you.

Thanks for the write up Dusk Golem. Sounds like something I would like if i could get a group together.

Dr Dogg

How good is the discount? Own both but never played them.

-50% for me. There's a splash image on each page saying "Already own the original Metro 2033? Pre-order Metro 2033 REDUX, and save 50%" and is the same for Last Light. There's also a package with both which also have -50% off but I don't know if you only need to own one of them or both to get the discount.

I think I'm good until they've come out and I can see if at least 2033 is worth a repurchase. The recent Nvida DX11 patch made 2033 waaay more playable for me now so it would just be changes to gameplay I'd be interested in.

The image says it's a pre-purchase offer so I'd assume the discount expires come release. Before the date was changed to a vague "Summer 2014" it was August 30th, so assuming the latter is true as far as the month is concerned (the 30th in particular is unlikely, being a Saturday) you still have plenty of time to finish at least one of the games.

Cheers dude.

Well I've had 2033 since 2010 and I've only just got about half way in so at this rate 2018 sounds about right by the time I'm ready to jump in!

Jawmuncher

-50% for me. There's a splash image on each page saying "Already own the original Metro 2033? Pre-order Metro 2033 REDUX, and save 50%" and is the same for Last Light. There's also a package with both which also have -50% off but I don't know if you only need to own one of them or both to get the discount.

I think I'm good until they've come out and I can see if at least 2033 is worth a repurchase. The recent Nvida DX11 patch made 2033 waaay more playable for me now so it would just be changes to gameplay I'd be interested in.

2033 was the main thing I was interested in since LL looks damn fine.

QUOTE=Deaf Spacker;113123152]50% off, is anyone elses Steam spazzing out when you try to pay via Paypal?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. Couldnt check on steam.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
new indiegala in a little over an hour (assuming this friday shit is to continue)

Aaron D.

I always feel instant regret whenever I pay full price on a preorder.

Nwu5Fdx.png

EDIT: This close into Summer Sale too.

I hear you. I pulled the trigger on a Tropico 5 2-Pack pre-order last night and it's the first time I've Day One'd a game in at least a year. It felt really strange.

Got about 25% off retail in the process, but still.

Milamber

Huh, this is quite interesting for a simulation game...

Spintires™ is an Intel® award winning off-road driving experience designed to challenge the player's driving skill and endurance. Take responsibility of operating large all-terrain vehicles and venture across the rugged landscapes with only a map and compass to guide you. Explore the levels and unlock portions of the map whilst discovering new trucks, fuelling stations, garages and lumber mills.

Collect lumber with the crane attachments and try to deliver them to the objectives. Use the surroundings to your advantage, you may need to winch yourself free! The real-time deformable terrain will challenge even the most seasoned offroader. Do you accept the challenge?

_hekk05

Banned
So I just got an email from steam about a Steam account name associated with a certain CD key.

The account name shown is mine, but I've never asked Steam about any CDkeys.

So what's this about?

Knurek

So I just got an email from steam about a Steam account name associated with a certain CD key.
So what's this about?

Someone tried to redeem a code used earlier by you?

MUnited83

For you.

So what's this about?

Someone tried to use the same cd-key as you. I assume you got a key from a forum drop or something like that. They can click a button that will send a email to the steam account that has it. (no worries, the person who "requested" it cannot see it in any way)

_hekk05

Banned
Someone tried to use the same cd-key as you. I assume you got a key from a forum drop or something like that. They can click a button that will send a email to the steam account that has it. (no worries, the person who "requested" it cannot see it in any way)

I've only used keys I bought, was given, won in giveaways, except for incredipede a few pages ago. Maybe that was it.

dani_dc

Turns out I already had Divinity II, so here:
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Divinity II: The Developer's Cut -- MB-A656A4CDC479B3F4 - Taken by drakaenae. 3 entrants total.

t1400853450z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom