• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

The matches limit though. You mean I can't carry those 2 more matches I found? Good lord I must have paper for arms

cursed matches shut up

also im taking it as a means of "if you dont burn the enemies they get back up"

crimson head all up in this bishhhhh

Finished Inescapable.

Initial impressions carried through to the end. It was fine, but nothing much happened and the game only really made you back track more towards the end, with no real changes or challenge to keep it interesting.

Even the upgrades were rather unexciting. They seemed to centre mostly on letting you last longer underwater, which were long empty sections where you could only move slowly.

It only lasts an hour and I kind of enjoyed it well enough, but I don't think it is worth buying at this stage.

Finished Inescapable.

Initial impressions carried through to the end. It was fine, but nothing much happened and the game only really made you back track more towards the end, with no real changes or challenge to keep it interesting.

Even the upgrades were rather unexciting. They seemed to centre mostly on letting you last longer underwater, which were long empty sections where you could only move slowly.

It only lasts an hour and I kind of enjoyed it well enough, but I don't think it is worth buying at this stage.

Oh. Just an hour? Then I better wait till someone gifts it again.

Salsa

that Order 1886 cinematic feel thread is some next level shit

I swear every time the framerate thing gets brought up the arguments get like 10 times worse

that Order 1886 cinematic feel thread is some next level shit

I swear every time the framerate thing gets brought up the arguments get like 10 times worse

I can understand people defending 30fps, but there are always people in those threads that defend things like 15fps and say "It is still totally playable", when it comes to some bad ports...

Salsa

I can understand people defending 30fps, but there are always people in those threads that defend things like 15fps and say "It is still totally playable", when it comes to some bad ports...

I don't even bother with people believing the excuses or arguing what's "playable" and what isnt.

But saying that developers are to be applauded by going with a lesser framerate and resolution cause they do it just to be different and not comfort to what players want as if it was some sort of brave thing is some fucking logic man

The Order is easily the most impressive looking game out there at the moment so they can do what they wish. The ratio and other techniques used seems to imply they actually are going for a cinematic feel in a way other games haven't though. They're using 4XMSAA as well so I doubt they're doing things purely as a power saving excuse.

I don't even bother with people believing the excuses or arguing what's "playable" and what isnt.

But saying that developers are to be applauded by going with a lesser framerate and resolution cause they do it just to be different and not comfort to what players want as if it was some sort of brave thing is some fucking logic man
Since they have zero control over how the game would run, the only to feel good about it is to justify the devs' decisions.

Salsa

The Order is easily the most impressive looking game out there at the moment so they can do what they wish. The ratio and other techniques used seems to imply they actually are going for a cinematic feel

tumblr_mbtbd8ydJT1qaifsio3_r9_500.png

abandon steam thread

Lol, just don't see the issue. 60 FPS is great but it doesn't look like a film does(wee hobbits aside) and they're very specifically trying to look like one.

Of course they wouldn't be able to run at 60 FPS with those types of graphics anyway, but the point isn't an absurd one. As for the ratio one imagines they could cut the MSAA down to 2X and run at standard 1920x1080 but they're going for something different and why not.

I think I blown out my office speakers. Or my ears.
You know you could have turned your own volume down. xD

Talking about Order, the first (reveal) trailer was impressive, later ones are somehow not, or maybe just a game turns to be not what I expected.
Also is gaf slow today, or is it me?
It hasn't been slow all day for me. But, it went down a few hours ago, and since it came back it's been really slow.

Arthea

Talking about Order, the first (reveal) trailer was impressive, later ones are somehow not, or maybe just a game turns to be not what I expected.
Also is gaf slow today, or is it me?

Don't know how one can't be impressed by the graphical aspects of the Order. The character models are insanely detailed and far beyond anything else I've seen, the textures seem flawless, the IQ has no aliasing at all, and so on. It's just rather mindblowing.

Makes me very, very excited to see what PC developers will do on hardware that is many times more advanced than the PS4.

Should i buy FF 3 if i played it already on IOS?
It has also cards and achievements... hm...
If you'll play it now sure, otherwise there are cheaper games with cards and achievements to hold you over until a sale.

Salsa

Don't know how one can't be impressed by the graphical aspects of the Order. The character models are insanely detailed and far beyond anything else I've seen, the textures seem flawless, the IQ has no aliasing at all, and so on. It's just rather mindblowing.

Makes me very, very excited to see what PC developers will do on hardware that is many times more advanced than the PS4.

let's wait till the game is out.

zkylon

zkylewd
You mean you never tanked the framerate in a slomo match of Perfect Dark 64 with tranquilizers and N-bombs to get super slomo? You've never lived.
well i used to use like smoke grenades or whatever to tank my friends' fps in counterstrike.

we had to ban smoke grenades from our matches lol

Lol, just don't see the issue. 60 FPS is great but it doesn't look like a film does(wee hobbits aside) and they're very specifically trying to look like one.

Of course they wouldn't be able to run at 60 FPS with those types of graphics anyway, but the point isn't an absurd one. As for the ratio one imagines they could cut the MSAA down to 2X and run at standard 1920x1080 but they're going for something different and why not.
i still don't get why anyone would want the "filmic feel" out of gameplay. like if you choose to use it on cutscenes it's debatable but i can buy it, but on gameplay it never looks like a movie, it looks like silly burly men hiding behind chest high walls shooting other silly burly men with slightly more racist accents. like it may look cinematic at some points in like the microwave room in metal gear 4 or something but generally it just looks like a fucking videogame :/

let's wait till the game is out.
everything changed after watch dogs right?

it's gonna be like 9/11 or somethin

Arthea

It's not that hard, that little of gameplay they've shown lately was disappointing for me and I was more interested in it being huge, detailed London to roam about, and we didn't see much of that either.
I mean it depends on expectations. Character models are OK, I agree.

Locust

Has anyone figured out how to make Uplay detect an installed game?

Had to reinstall Uplay because no overlays would work with Watchdogs, and now it's just prompting me to redownload the game.

It's not that hard, that little of gameplay they've shown lately was disappointing for me and I was more interested in it being huge, detailed London to roam about, and we didn't see much of that either.
I mean it depends on expectations. Character models are OK, I agree.

We were talking about the visuals though, which are unparalleled in terms of general detail. Saying the models are just ok is being weirdly dismissive. I mean I game on the PC most of the time, don't think I've suddenly become a console warrior. The Order just seems like one of the biggest visual leaps I've seen, and I had no idea games would start looking like it so soon.

i still don't get why anyone would want the "filmic feel" out of gameplay. like if you choose to use it on cutscenes it's debatable but i can buy it, but on gameplay it never looks like a movie, it looks like silly burly men hiding behind chest high walls shooting other silly burly men with slightly more racist accents. like it may look cinematic at some points in like the microwave room in metal gear 4 or something but generally it just looks like a fucking videogame :/

Looks like gameplay isn't their top priority
CVG: So of the three key aspects of a game - visuals, gameplay and story - which would you say was your priority with The Order 1886?

Game director (Dana Jan): I think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it. We love games, but we also love telling stories, so I think story is always going to be at the top because it's what we start with.
It's just one quote that may be missing context, but..

You did literally remove all context and follow up yes.

And gaming needs more people like David Cage. Hopefully the folks at Ready at Dawn aren't terrible writers!

zkylon

zkylewd
actually i kinda like david cage existing. like he may not be too successful at what he does (hire a fucking writer dude, seriously) but i can appreciate him doing his thing and pushing boundaries i guess.

about the order, i just got instantly bored when they mentioned it was a third person shooter.

what can you do

edit: also quote is pretty bad since it just talks about all three separately. like grab hotline miami or something and tell me what has priority in that game :/

Salsa

every time I finish playing a controller game on the 40' hdtv and look at the screenshots on my 24' monitor I realize the games look so much better than on my shitty TV man

i've become too lazy

or too poor to afford a better tv

but yeah.. after BPM and the 360 pad becoming universally supported and all that the idea of sitting in front of the monitor with a controller sounds so terrible compared to just laying horizontally on my bed

IQ be damned

You did literally remove all context and follow up yes.

And gaming needs more people like David Cage. Hopefully the folks at Ready at Dawn aren't terrible writers!

I just skimmed through the rest of the interview and didn't really see anything that would give more context to that statement.

Sounds like a pretty cover shooter with a somewhat unique gun.

Beyond still had bits that were horribly written which was a shame but I actually thought the mechanics were incredibly interesting and led to much more tangible gameplay compared to Heavy Rain. Some of the things you can do are quite subtle as well, and affected the story hours later in ways I wasn't really expecting. Cage makes really unique games and I'm very glad he's in the business, I just hope he stops writing or at least brings in someone to help because that's just not his best quality.

Back to PC related things, is June still the rumored release for the 800 series? My 670 is starting to creak with these newer games, and trying to use shadowplay while playing Watch Dogs made it look framey on twitch.

Salsa

Back to PC related things, is June still the rumored release for the 800 series? My 670 is starting to creak with these newer games, and trying to use shadowplay while playing Watch Dogs made it look framey on twitch.

that's just karma

enjoy your cinema you damn bastard

EAT THE POPCORN

Arthea

We were talking about the visuals though, which are unparalleled in terms of general detail. Saying the models are just ok is being weirdly dismissive. I mean I game on the PC most of the time, don't think I've suddenly become a console warrior. The Order just seems like one of the biggest visual leaps I've seen, and I had no idea games would start looking like it so soon.

But I said that, I was impressed by visuals in reveal trailer and I don't mean to be dismissive.

You see, I game on PC too, and if we talk about unparalleled visuals, I remember how much I was impressed by Homeworld back in a day. I wasn't that impressed by the Order. As I said, different expectations.

On the side note, there were very little games that visually impressed me, I wasn't impressed by Crisis for example, but I was and am impressed by Journey. I wish I had it on steam too, Journey, I mean.

actually i kinda like david cage existing. like he may not be too successful at what he does (hire a fucking writer dude, seriously) but i can appreciate him doing his thing and pushing boundaries i guess.

about the order, i just got instantly bored when they mentioned it was a third person shooter.

what can you do

edit: also quote is pretty bad since it just talks about all three separately. like grab hotline miami or something and tell me what has priority in that game :/

IDK, I would prefer someone better at writing to push said boundaries.

Also I must say, that I'm not a fan of "cinematic experience" games, to put it mildly.

Salsa

watch_dogs2014-05-272s6jhb.jpg

just going to counter my own point about watch_dogs looking like shit with this dennis pic

I legit thought it was an IRL cosplay pic at a fast glance, but that's mostly the DOF effects and focus on just the character to be fair

also it's dennis so that pic is the game running at 0.004fps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom