• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

Aiming is pretty forgivable I've found. I've managed to be quite accurate over distance no don't know it there is any aim assist outside the the reticle area. Plus one shot in the legs of a person running and they go down. Though using Focus is Max Payne style over powered on a single person.

Very forgivable. I accomplished a few headshots when I should have clearly missed, there's strong aim assist on Default. I'll have turn that down I guess.

Screens of Watch Dogs to counteract the awful ones while also not being downsamplied from 1000K like Dennis. 1080P, max settings
12530848513845624832_9lkle.png

12530848513845624832_i5j9h.png

12530848513845624832_3ojr9.png

12530848513845624832_ovke2.png

derExperte

The description for the Painkiller Hell & Damnation Digital Extras says that it includes the game. That can't be right. You could just buy the Collector's Edition Upgrade and get the game for $2. (half the sale price)

? The description is for the full CE. Or you can buy an upgrade but that requires the base game, says so on the page.

Really bummed out at some of these Watch Dogs impressions. I had high hopes.

I don't know what some expected.

AHA-Lambda

Mind elaborating please?

Not much to say I've only played a couple of hours so far, so this is a really brief first impressions, but I've just gotten hit with an immense feeling of Deja Vu and ennui. We've all played this game at least half a dozen times before in every gta clone, the hacking stuff really is just window dressing.

It seems so far to just be very standard affair, and that's just sad for a game that has had this much money put in to it.

Don't know why I bothered, I let my curiosity get the better of me :/

? The description is for the full CE. Or you can buy an upgrade but that requires the base game, says so on the page.

When I spotted it, I was on the page for the CE Upgrade bundle, which doesn't have the CE on it, just the upgrade bundle. I hovered over the Digital Extras item in the list, and it says includes the game. I guess it's just pulling the description from the main CE page, but at a glance it made it seem as though the upgrade included the game.

Pop

Screens of Watch Dogs to counteract the awful ones while also not being downsamplied from 1000K like Dennis. 1080P, max settings

Still didn't help. Game isn't that good looking.

Driving feels extremely stiff. Gameplay is also very repetitive. I got bored after a couple of hours.

derExperte

When I spotted it, I was on the page for the CE Upgrade bundle, which doesn't have the CE on it, just the upgrade bundle. I hovered over the Digital Extras item in the list, and it says includes the game. I guess it's just pulling the description from the main CE page, but at a glance it made it seem as though the upgrade included the game.

If you (or someone else) don't own the game just try to buy the upgrade, shouldn't work but if it does....

Still didn't help. Game isn't that good looking.

Driving feels extremely stiff. Gameplay is also very repetitive. I got bored after a couple of hours.

Didn't say they were amazing, just counteracting the compressed imgur screenshots of one wall in the game that looks awful :p Most of the screenshots in the other thread are downsampled, while those above are what the game will look like for most.

And the game is one of the better looking games out there, especially at night and during the rain but oh well.

Dr Dogg

Reading that last page on frame rate made my face hurt.

Nice job guys.

When I'm talking to someone in person about frame and refresh rates and they don't seem too fussed or don't quite understand I always do the phone scrolling test on them (you can do it with a PC but it's a bit of a pain). Get a page of text on a touchscreen phone so you can scroll through a fair section of it and show them scrolling up and down. Then using the same text physically move the phone up and down. If they can't tell that your eyes and brain can adjust to motion way faster than a screen can convey, even a high refresh rates, then I'll leave them to it :/

If you want to argue over artistic merit that's fine but its when your position flip flops on the matter that it looks a bit dubious to me. Stump summed it up very well about 20 pages or so back.

Very forgivable. I accomplished a few headshots when I should have clearly missed, there's strong aim assist on Default. I'll have turn that down I guess.

I haven't played around with the gameplay settings too much but yeah at times it does feel like even walking is on auto pilot.

Aiden has such 'interesting' trends in fashion

Hey! I'm loving Watch_ Dogs :(

Then again I supposes I had an idea of what I was getting. Reading some of the negative impressions on GAF in various threads some of the recurring complaints surround around what was shown in 2012, it's not the "Next Gen" experience they thought it was, performance and on other platforms visuals are not some were lead to believe and a few other grumbles.

It's more over a combination of a lot of UbiSoft's IPs. There's touches of AC mixed in with Splinter Cell. There's some Far Cry like elements along with Driver like parts too. Christ if you take the VR bits there's some Rayman in here as well. There's nothing really revolutionary about it or the touted "Next Gen" gameplay experience. Basically my cup of tea :p

I think thats why I'm enjoying it so much and not getting deflated like some seem to be about the game. The reveal was stunning, but by the time the next E3 rolled round, I'd pretty much figured it was something along the lines of Cyber-Assassins Creed so set my expectations around there. To find that the game also goes pretty deep into Splinter Cell levels of stealth means I'm actually happier than I expected, since I've recently finished Blacklist and really enjoyed it. While a revolution in openworld AI and graphics would have been amazing, I realised that wasn't what was coming and knew what I was in for.

ModBot said:
Instructions for nightstorm:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ravensword: Shadowlands -- MB-C1539136660E98A0 - Taken by someguyinahat

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Without crappy non-games with nothing but cutscenes and almost zero gameplay, we wouldn't have more crappy non-games with nothing but cutscenes and almost zero gameplay. I fail to see the potential loss.
Yup, a bunch of games that many people liked would have never been made. No loss, it's their fault for having different tastes.

Zafir

I didn't really get chance to play it much last night, but I'd say I enjoyed what I did play. That said I went in with zero hype so my expectations weren't inflated or anything.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I feel like the 60fps debate is largely over, dead and buried in the same grave as the Bayonetta franchise before Nintendo resurrected it. You can see 60fps era Ratchet and Clank, and mainstream racing, and fighting games in there as well. The market does not seem to care if your game is 60 FPS.

I think to get people to start caring about high FPS, you'll have to invent some sort of device to strap to their face that literally causes nausea if it exposes you to low frame rates.

Trejik

Asked earlier but got no response. Is Wolf Among Us worth getting with the 33% off if I loved The Walking Dead season 1? I always hear stories of Telltale games going down to 75% after the full season is out. Don't know if I should jump in now.

Dr Dogg

I think thats why I'm enjoying it so much and not getting deflated like some seem to be about the game. The reveal was stunning, but by the time the next E3 rolled round, I'd pretty much figured it was something along the lines of Cyber-Assassins Creed so set my expectations around there. To find that the game also goes pretty deep into Splinter Cell levels of stealth means I'm actually happier than I expected, since I've recently finished Blacklist and really enjoyed it. While a revolution in openworld AI and graphics would have been amazing, I realised that wasn't what was coming and knew what I was in for.

I'd say it's actually closer to Splinter Cell and Far Cry than Assassin's Creed. Yeah sure it's got an open world to explore and a 1 click murder button but they're slowly becoming Ubi-tropes by now anyway. I do get the sad feeling though that this might end up being the Splinter Cell replacement like Assassin's Creed turned out to be the Prince of Persia one. Blacklist was a enjoyable game for me but I get the idea it didn't do too well. Watch_Dogs 2: Re-Leashed is more than likely going to happen so we'll see.

Aiden's fashion choices are by far the worst aspect of the game, especially his terrible hats.

Maybe I'm just easily impressed but the game looks great to me outside of the middle of the day when everything just looks kind of blown out. Good explosions and smoke effects as well.

I'm very impressed with its looks so far. Sure it's not wow-gosho! crazy effects going on left right and centre but the higher the resolution you go the criper everything looks. I do get the feeling though that during the optimisation period that 30fps was the target as I can push some crazy settings and still maintain 30fps but higher framerate than than that at even 1920x1080 is just crazy-wild in variation.

Li Kao

I tried playing with a mouse but the aiming seemed totally fucked so I switched to my dualshock 4. Better for driving anyway, and I play all of Rockstar's games with free aim so shooting is easy enough.

That reminds me, is there a function for L3 (pushing the left analog) in Watch Dogs ?
Because when playing Saints Row 3 the last week I was unconsciously activating it every minute. The function was Nitro mode in cars. Nearly broke me.

You is referring to Oculus Rifts?

Love my rift but it sure can cause some serious nausea. Some of the tech demos are terribly optimized so halfway through they'd drop to the 40s or 50s for a few seconds and a wave of bad feelings wash over you.

That reminds me, is there a function for L3 (pushing the left analog) in Watch Dogs ?
Because when playing Saints Row 3 the last week I was unconsciously activating it every minute. The function was Nitro mode in cars. Nearly broke me.
Don't think so, R3 is what activates focus(slomo) mode though.

I guess W_D is going to be AC all over again
  • first game is nothing special
  • Sells well
  • Becomes anualized
  • Three W_D games released in the same year
  • Aidan hacks Abstergo leading to the ultimate Ubisoft crossover
  • Ubisoft releases a kart game with their characters
  • Reboot time because nothing makes sense anymore

Evrain

A quick question: I've been sifting through SteamDB to understand whether Black Ops' various regional releases include English or not, however I don't understand how every version redirects me to the general "ROW" app: how can I check which languages are tied to a certain license? Or more generally, how does Steam restricts language options while using a general appID?

Forgive my ignorance of the innards of our favourite DD plaform

EDIT: nevermind, found out. Quite convoluted, but works :)

derExperte

Asked earlier but got no response. Is Wolf Among Us worth getting with the 33% off if I loved The Walking Dead season 1? I always hear stories of Telltale games going down to 75% after the full season is out. Don't know if I should jump in now.

Every game that's not from Activision will be -75% or more eventually and with the summer sale in two months Wolf should be -50% then as a daily but I don't think it'll get lower immediately after the last episode is released. The episodes so far have been very good, just don't expect the length the episodes in TWD S1 had, S2 is much shorter too.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

I'm really enjoying TWAU but I was already a fan of the source material, Fables. I think it's an interesting story and I've been happy with how it's played out. I got a fairly cheap copy though. If you're on the fence then wait, it will eventually drop to a price you won't hold back on.

Li Kao

Don't think so, R3 is what activates focus(slomo) mode though.

Uguu, yeah ok. I suspect my problem is appearing when stressed out and using a convex analog. Might have to go back to a 360 pad.

Edit. Angel_Abaddon : Well that could be bearable then, I have this OCD habit of reloading every few seconds anyways. Must come from the old school fps days, when you absolutely didn't want to be caught with an empty weapon.

JakeD

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

full bore -- MB-C9F0D3E0B852483E - Taken by Santiako. 6 entrants total.
inescapable -- MB-AEA183D3F07441FD - Taken by NingenJanai. 4 entrants total.

t1401283678z1.png

enjoy

RS4-

I'm glad I didn't pick up WD. Was interesting at the start, then as time went on, same old stuff.

Then the usual Ubi things. I did buy Pool Nation though since it's $1.50!

Thanks for inescapable, here's something in return.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Beyond Divinity -- MB-C3382F0D37ED8685 - Taken by Dambrosi
Divine Divinity -- MB-2C4A299F37944DF7 - Taken by nightstorm
Divinity II: The Developer's Cut -- MB-535243C455F7D8BE - Taken by Ingueferroque

Deques

Can't get my Indie Gala Blood Knight bundle to open. Only receive the points picture thingy.

Rhaknar did a tweet and solved his problem
yes it works

edit: lol. I love twitter

Carlos Lopes ‏@Rhaknar 4m

@IndieGala still no games from the blood knights bundle I bought yesterday, and no reply from support. not to be "that guy" but... :/

like a minute later I have a email saying i purchased the bundle again, and now its fixed :p cant have dat bad twitter press I guess!

Grief.exe

ZEJSW.gif

Why do devs do this.
Whoever implemented this should have their vidya game programmer card permanently taken away from them.

20++ years of pc games using the mouse and the very most basic shit like how to do mouse aim in a game still eludes a 1000 man studio like ubisoft

They just don't give a shit, simple as that.

They leave it in from when they are getting the controller configured and don't bother removing it for mouse control.

Li Kao

Oh for the love of God !!!!!
You can't fucking send a message with your uplay friend request !

So...
Milamber
derExperte
Sajjaja
ricochetguro
Angel Abaddon
Ravenvalor95

You should receive a request from "Denis2003".
If I forgot people feel free to say so.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Huh, well my standards must have slipped (yeah like I had any) as I'm enjoying the shit out of Watch_Dogs. Had some funky bugs and glitches here and there (controls got reversed so Aiden acted drunk, bloom didn't scale back after coming outside so everything looked like the sun had gone supernova) but what's a 900 man Ubosoft game without some rough edges. Maybe I suckle at the teat of the Lowest Common Denominator.
It's my favorite teat to suckle. I'm having a ton of fun with the game too. Pretty much every single gang hideout has gone sideways on me in a different way and it's pretty damn cool.

I actually was originally going to buy Watch_Dogs to play with some SG / MY / TH friends but now they can't play with me since the "Asian" release was pushed back a month. So I also delayed my purchase. Seeing all the reviews here on GAF makes me feel somehow vindicated with my decision. I'm wondering how my country, Philippines, somehow escaped getting our release date pushed back like our other SEA neighbors.

XCOM complete at that price is tempting. Although the supposed Summer Sale is coming in a few months so maybe Wolfenstein is the better purchase.

I got the Sonic collection in that 4 dollar price glitch a while back. Haven't touched a single one of the games other than Transformed for 5 minutes. I am terrible.

Also, the animation for getting flung off your bike in Watch Dogs is hilarious.

Kiru

Wow. A lot of free games today to check out:

A Story About My Uncle - play for the first time - £0.10
Dungeonmans - play for the first time - £0.10
Growing Pains - play for the first time - £0.10
Kill The Bad Guy - play for the first time - £0.10
Knight Squad - play for the first time - £0.10
Richard & Alice - play for the first time - £0.10

EDIT: Or are these games going to cost something when they get released properly? Forgot about that stuff... I think I got fooled after seeing no prices. :/

Zafir

It's interesting how people only read negative impressions when needing to make a decision.
Yeah, I've noticed that in threads. There's loads of positive opinions but people seem to just focus on the negatives, even though they're often clearly the minority. I guess it depends on what you're trying to do though. If you're wanting to convince your self to save the money, I can see why it happens.

SeZMehK

I got the Sonic collection in that 4 dollar price glitch a while back. Haven't touched a single one of the games other than Transformed for 5 minutes. I am terrible.

Also, the animation for getting flung off your bike in Watch Dogs is hilarious.

Ah damn, I wish I was around in this thread at the time... :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom