• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I said that, I was impressed by visuals in reveal trailer and I don't mean to be dismissive.

You see, I game on PC too, and if we talk about unparalleled visuals, I remember how much I was impressed by Homeworld back in a day. I wasn't that impressed by the Order. As I said, different expectations.

On the side note, there were very little games that visually impressed me, I wasn't impressed by Crisis for example, but I was and am impressed by Journey. I wish I had it on steam too, Journey, I mean.

Fair enough, but I can't say I understand your expectations. The Order is the closest a game has come to CGI, and it seems to surpass a good amount of it. Just seems objectively impressive to me on a technical level, scale and gameplay aside.

Watch Dogs? Cos I feel very similarly right now.

Seems like every other gta clone under the sun to me so far *yawn*
I'm enjoying myself, like how you can stealth your way around the majority of the missions. Plus a lot of the more action packed ones have some degree of freedom. There was a bit where I had to ambush a guy in a story mission so I waited at a traffic light, and then drove towards it as he approached and triggered said traffic lights. 15 or so cars rushed at once, causing him and his entourage to crash. I jumped out of my car and used some random pedestrian's as cover while everyone was firing at me. Pulled that person out of their car only to have them get hit by the enemy's fire. Most of the game isn't nearly as dynamic as that, but just being able to create scenes like that makes me appreciate it to some degree.

Driving is pretty awful though and the shooting lacks basic features like blindfire that makes it feel a bit outdated. Plus the world itself just isn't nearly as interactive to detailed as GTA IV or V. I would load up GTA V and just walk around the world for hours, and I will never do that in Watch Dogs.

Anteater

BoLrhumCEAAnB0k.jpg:large
not everyone can use a xbox one controller and play quantum break on their pc like Max Payne does

Salsa

I thought this thread will be full of Watch Doggies impressions, but there are hardly any, besides two steamgafers being already bored by it, as expected.

there's like one person playing it on my friend list

and that's JaseC hoping its the new asscreed

people don't like Uplay

Salsa

I have a bud who got both the Uplay and Steam version of Watch_Dogs thanks to price mistakes

he registered the uplay only one in some uplay account

if he gives me username/pass for that account I should be able to play right?

I might just do that to scratch the annoying itch that makes me wanna play the thing out of the hopes that reveal gave me without sacrificing the money I very much dont wanna spend after everything else ive seen of it

I'm willing to give Watch_Dogs another chance. Gonna push through for at least 5 hours more.

The start is a bit slow, I've played about ten hours and the missions have been somewhat varied in terms of scope. A lot of that time was the trademark Ubisoft tower activation though, some decent "puzzles" in the game via them. The power station pipeline things are annoying though, luckily they aren't too frequent.

Think the game has enough visual oomph and exciting open world moments like the one above to where I'm having a good time.

Season pass is 15.99 at gmg and I had 6 dollars in credit so I grabbed it. Only paid 25 bucks for the game after all so ten more is acceptable.

Arthea

ain't that awesome (><)

can't wait to play it
no cards?
booo

The start is a bit slow, I've played about ten hours and the missions have been somewhat varied in terms of scope. A lot of that time was the trademark Ubisoft tower activation though, some decent "puzzles" in the game via them. The power station pipeline things are annoying though, luckily they aren't too frequent.

Think the game has enough visual oomph and exciting open world moments like the one above to where I'm having a good time.

Season pass is 15.99 at gmg and I had 6 dollars in credit so I grabbed it. Only paid 25 bucks for the game after all so ten more is acceptable.

AssCreed3 levels of slow? start, I mean.
Because I couldn't get past that, too boring.

Started playing some Watch_Doges.

Only played for about 38m so far but I'm enjoying what I've played so far, the game looks pretty gorgeous and runs surprisingly well(better than ACIV did)

Not a big fan of the Splinter Cell Blacklist/Conviction style of stealthing from point to point, where you point at a piece of cover you want to take, press a key and then bam the dude goes over there, it always felt like I was directing the character where to go rather than actually taking part in the game.

The driving controls pretty well, feels a lot like Sleeping Dog's driving, which I'm okay with.

Aiden sounds a bit weird, but hey if the new Sam Fisher managed to grow on me, I'm sure I can deal with this lad.

Mouse sensitivity feels really weird though, trying to select what I wanted in a menu was waaaay more difficult than it should've been.

Will be playing more, but these are my super early impressions on it.

derExperte

there's like one person playing it on my friend list

and that's JaseC hoping its the new asscreed

people don't like Uplay

Some here will have bought it for outside of Steam because of price mistakes, Nvidia promo codes or the desire to not taint the pure Uplay experience with filthy Steam.

not everyone can use a xbox one controller and play quantum break on their pc like Max Payne does

He even has PC drivers for the Xbox One controller.

IDK, I would prefer someone better at writing to push said boundaries.

Also I must say, that I'm not a fan of "cinematic experience" games, to put it mildly.

The writing in all of Cage's games is a major sticking point(although Beyond was an improvement, especially in terms of acting direction) but the thing that makes them so interesting to me is the story branching which is very impressive and in Beyond's case often very subtle in terms of spreading the impact throughout the length of the game. Think even with the writing the games are worth playing just for the unique way they blend the mechanics and more cinematographic story presentation. Beyond still had flaws with the writing as I mentioned, but the jump in terms of the quality of the scene direction was astronomical and makes me think Cage is slowly but surely working towards something great. Plus the implementation of Aiden was really, really clever.

AssCreed3 levels of slow? start, I mean.
Because I couldn't get past that, too boring.
Nah, an hour or two at most for the main thrust of the game to start.

There isn't a medium in existence that needs more people like David Cage.

Heavy Rain and Beyond are two of the most ambitious, mechanically interesting games out there so I'm very happy that he exists. Believe he's said he won't be writing Quantum Dream's next game so I have great hopes for what he has in store next.

Gaming certainly needs more diversity in any case.

Arthea

Hippocampal was in some bundles, but bypassed Greenlight with our favourite publisher Strategy First, so it's uncertain that there will be Steam keys.

that would be horrible, because I remember buying a bundle for this particular game. (._.)
I don't quite get it, how devs end up with Strategy First with all what was happening with others.

Heavy Rain and Beyond are two of the most ambitious, mechanically interesting games out there so I'm very happy that he exists. Believe he's said he won't be writing Quantum Dream's next game so I have great hopes for what he has in store next.

I agree. That's what gaming need, especially high budget gaming.
So even not being in Cage's camp, I wish him and his games well, as I know many people like those games, my friends included.

Agreed.
if we didn't have games like Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain, we wouldn't have gotten titles like The Walking Dead(&#8220;I think the games that we talked about the most during development were Heavy Rain and Uncharted from a cinematic standpoint, and Mass Effect from a choice standpoint,&#8221; - http://www.redbull.co.uk/cs/Satelli...king-Dead--Bringing-the-world-021243300828382) or if we did get those games without having David Cage's games being made they would've been done very differently.

I thought all HR and Fahrenheit were very interesting/good in their own ways, so I like having D-Cage around.

Tizoc

So are these Cheevos easy to get?
Dark Void Zero - play for the first time - £0.10
Dark Void Zero - unlock Bookworm - £0.10
Dark Void Zero - unlock All My Enemies - £0.25
Dark Void Zero - unlock L337 Sk1llz!! - £0.50

aku:jiki

if we didn't have games like Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain, we wouldn't have gotten titles like The Walking Dead
Without crappy non-games with nothing but cutscenes and almost zero gameplay, we wouldn't have more crappy non-games with nothing but cutscenes and almost zero gameplay. I fail to see the potential loss.

Tizoc

every time I finish playing a controller game on the 40' hdtv and look at the screenshots on my 24' monitor I realize the games look so much better than on my shitty TV man

i've become too lazy

or too poor to afford a better tv

but yeah.. after BPM and the 360 pad becoming universally supported and all that the idea of sitting in front of the monitor with a controller sounds so terrible compared to just laying horizontally on my bed

IQ be damned

No offense but I think you ned a better TV. There's a thread on GAF that can give you tips on what are some good HDTVs out atm. Panasonic HDTVs should be cheap now, and there might be a few Sony HDTVs that are good nd cheap too.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Without crappy non-games with nothing but cutscenes and almost zero gameplay, we wouldn't have more crappy non-games with nothing but cutscenes and almost zero gameplay. I fail to see the potential loss.

That's okay, not everyone likes every sort of game.

Jawmuncher

A games a game. Regardless of how much gameplay is there.

Cage's games push interactivity in different, interesting ways. Using terms like non-game is really silly anyway. You have full movement in them, can interact with most things in the environment, and so on. Definitely a game!

Heavy Rain and Beyond are examples of thoughtful story branching that all developers should take a look at. Plus Beyond's implementation of Aiden is one of the most clever character building/morality systems put into a game. They're both flawed titles, but really one of a kind. And with Cage relinquishing control of the script, one can hope the writing will improve which for me are the only things holding the games up from being some of the best experiences out there.

Edit: I hate how you can't combine clothing options in Watch Dogs. Bought this blue trench that I like quite a bit but along with it comes these hideous baggy pants.

Authority

Banned
I thought this thread will be full of Watch Doggies impressions, but there are hardly any, besides two steamgafers being already bored by it, as expected.

Well my thumb rule is that when the mainstream media is pushing a game to this extend,

Waiting for GTAV Release Day on PC? Buy Watch_Dogs

Amy White
Editor in Chief at GameSkinny.
- http://www.gameskinny.com/xiqb3/waiting-for-gtav-release-day-on-pc-buy-watchdogs

I just can't help but feel "Here we go again". I always find it offensive let alone patronizing, to read a journalist telling me to buy something.It is quite funny in a way because he is talking about PC and thankgod we have PC impressions here in Neogaf or WTF Is... - Watch Dogs?.

This in a way kinda reminds me of how Rome II was launched on PC and we all know the results of that. So in that respect, I personally feel disgusted that as a PC gamer I have to go through all these technical shit and day1 patches and put up with it because it is how "PC ports work". The last thing I want on my head is beg for PC optimization; that is disrespectful to me.

When I saw Watch_Dogs back in 2012 my eyes were seeing starts because I imagined a very grim, cynical reality where I would be challenged on the concept of morality which surprisingly Sleeping_Dogs did that to me; to the point where I didn't want to hurt even one human being without a cause even if I could when free roaming. I was just surprised that the immersion I had in my head at that time was not the one I saw later on. I expected kinda of a game like the movie Swordfish.

I really wanted Watch_Dogs to give me the impression that of The Last of Us game me but with a hacker-setting-story. I had it that high.

jediyoshi

You expected a lot of impressions in this thread, and didn't get them, but from the impressions that were there, you got what you expected out of them?

Trejik

When I saw Watch_Dogs back in 2012 my eyes were seeing starts because I imagined a very grim, cynical reality where I would be challenged on the concept of morality which surprisingly Sleeping_Dogs did that to me; to the point where I didn't want to hurt even one human being without a cause even if I could when free roaming. I was just surprised that the immersion I had in my head at that time was not the one I saw later on. I expected kinda of a game like the movie Swordfish.

I really wanted Watch_Dogs to give me the impression that of The Last of Us game me but with a hacker-setting-story. I had it that high.

I think the issue with Watch_Dogs is expectation. It's a solid game. The PC Version is, umm, could be better lets say, but I found the game to be satisfying. It does eventually fall into a feeling of "Ubiverse" where all the mechanics seem to be lifted slightly from other games, but they're put together in a logical way, and it's tied together with an interesting, if flawed, story.

I expected it to fall short of the hype. So once I played it, I found it very enjoyable. It's fun, it's pretty, it gives me decent stealth with level designs and set pieces that make you feel like a badass. It isn't Swordfish: The Game, it isn't The Last of Us, but it's really well done. More than enough to recommend.

Ruruja

I just can't see the next move here, as either of the moves I could do on the vertical 5 and 4 that just need one cell would work out, but only 1 is the right one:
3JM.png

Sorry if I'm completely late and you solved it hours ago, but the hex inbetween the two 3s at the bottom left must be blue, and that then completes that column, so the rest are grey on that column.

Knurek

I just can't help but feel "Here we go again". I always find it offensive let alone patronizing, to read a journalist telling me to buy something.It is quite funny in a way because he is talking about PC and thankgod we have PC impressions here in Neogaf or WTF Is... - Watch Dogs?.

This in a way kinda reminds me of how Rome II was launched on PC and we all know the results of that. So in that respect, I personally feel disgusted that as a PC gamer I have to go through all these technical shit and day1 patches and put up with it because it is how "PC ports work". The last thing I want on my head is beg for PC optimization; that is disrespectful to me.

To which I reply: you're a PC gamer, you have (or should have) a gaming library ten times as large as you'll be able to finish in your lifetime. Don't buy games on premiere, unless you absolutely, positively want to, wait for the inevitable price drop - by the time a game goes for $5 or lower, it will either have developer or community patches available, or it will be widely known that it's a bad game, not worth of your time.

Seriously, don't buy into release hype. Consume responsively.

Volimar

To which I reply: you're a PC gamer, you have (or should have) a gaming library ten times as large as you'll be able to finish in your lifetime. Don't buy games on premiere, unless you absolutely, positively want to, wait for the inevitable price drop - by the time a game goes for $5 or lower, it will either have developer or community patches available, or it will be widely known that it's a bad game, not worth of your time.

Seriously, don't buy into release hype. Consume responsively.

Totally agree. Now excuse me while I suss up enough money to get The Forest when it comes out.

vanty

I was just wondering if there's likely to be any big sales on before the summer one? I was thinking of buying Rocksmith 2014 but if I'd have to wait a couple months or something for it to be on sale I'll just get it now.

Dr Dogg

Hey! I'm loving Watch_ Dogs :(

Then again I supposes I had an idea of what I was getting. Reading some of the negative impressions on GAF in various threads some of the recurring complaints surround around what was shown in 2012, it's not the "Next Gen" experience they thought it was, performance and on other platforms visuals are not some were lead to believe and a few other grumbles.

It's more over a combination of a lot of UbiSoft's IPs. There's touches of AC mixed in with Splinter Cell. There's some Far Cry like elements along with Driver like parts too. Christ if you take the VR bits there's some Rayman in here as well. There's nothing really revolutionary about it or the touted "Next Gen" gameplay experience. Basically my cup of tea :p

Milamber

So who's rocking Kb/M by choice in W_D even though you got a 360 controller? I played about an hour with 360 controller and kinda hated it except when driving. Didn't try the Kb/M yet.

So who's rocking Kb/M by choice in W_D even though you got a 360 controller? I played about an hour with 360 controller and kinda hated it except when driving. Didn't try the Kb/M yet.
Right here.
Mouse has some weird issues(I think someone said it was caused by negative mouse acceleration or something like that) but the keyboard bit is fine.

Right here.
Mouse has some weird issues(I think someone said it was caused by negative mouse acceleration or something like that) but the keyboard bit is fine.

ZEJSW.gif

Why do devs do this.
Whoever implemented this should have their vidya game programmer card permanently taken away from them.

20++ years of pc games using the mouse and the very most basic shit like how to do mouse aim in a game still eludes a 1000 man studio like ubisoft
edit: this shit was solved 20 years ago why can't certain modern game studios do it now?

I tried playing with a mouse but the aiming seemed totally fucked so I switched to my dualshock 4. Better for driving anyway, and I play all of Rockstar's games with free aim so shooting is easy enough.

Milamber

I tried playing with a mouse but the aiming seemed totally fucked so I switched to my dualshock 4. Better for driving anyway, and I play all of Rockstar's games with free aim so shooting is easy enough.

Maybe your Aim Assist was on?

Also, TorrentFreak posted something interesting. Does that mean 100 GB game downloads for the future?

Dr Dogg

Aiming is pretty forgivable I've found. I've managed to be quite accurate over distance no don't know it there is any aim assist outside the the reticle area. Plus one shot in the legs of a person running and they go down. Though using Focus is Max Payne style over powered on a single person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom