• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sendou

So how's L.A. Noire? Worth $6 (that's what it's on Amazon.com right now)? I remember people bashed it a lot but I imagine part of that was simply because it reviewed so well. Somehow I'm feeling like playing something like this right now. ES warns me about "Rockstar Social Club". How's that as far as DRM's go?

Dr Dogg

Doesn't that have some frame-stutter issue as well?

Yep, not as noticeable to some but you can definitely tell by your opponents having a slight judder here and there. Controls for the most part are bang on but every now and then it's a bit noticeable. You'd have to be either very sensitive to latency or bloody picky though for it to be a turn off. Watch_Dogs on the other hand was doing my nut in even at 800x600 with every setting turned down or off.

Grief.exe

So you're saying that you can play the single player offline if you have this new version of GFWL? Or just that it fixes some of the GFWL problems? Because when I tried to play if it couldn't connect to GFWL, it wouldn't let you into the game at all, and I've heard other people say the same thing.

No he is confused. He is giving you a common GFWL fix and not understanding the context of your statement.

If GFWL is down, IE when it inevitably goes offline, then you will not be able to play Bulletstorm.

AsylumX

I don't know what to do... Should I get SSFIV costume pack or not? It's the first time that it's available in my region. (I'm glad you'll die GFWL!!!)

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
You sure? Seems the same as ever. 60fps with no stuttering anywhere, first couple online matches I played didn't even feel any different than a couple days ago on GFWL. One guy had a good connection so it was great, the other guy didn't and it was kinda laggy.

Going home from work now to try, mostly going off of steamcommunityhub impressions which the majority are heated and claim they're having these problems. Then again it's steamcommunity...can never be too sure about them

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
So how's L.A. Noire? Worth $6 (that's what it's on Amazon.com right now)? I remember people bashed it a lot but I imagine part of that was simply because it reviewed so well. Somehow I'm feeling like playing something like this right now. ES warns me about "Rockstar Social Club". How's that as far as DRM's go?

It's a great Adventure game that got bashed because it wasn't a GTA clone set in the 1920s. Admittedly, Rockstar could have been a bit clearer so that expectations would have been set accordingly.

If you are interested in classic Hollywood scandals and murders, you will especially enjoy the game as it incorporates a lot of the macabre aspects, and racial tensions occurring behind the facade that was presented to the general public during and even after the period.

Going home from work now to try, mostly going off of steamcommunityhub impressions which the majority are heated and claim they're having these problems. Then again it's steamcommunity...can never be too sure about them
I mean, PC AE was never the best for netcode. If I didn't know better I'd say every 3rd person has a lag switch going by the things that happen sometimes. Audio problems I have noticed. For some reason the announcer is really damn loud now. Stuttering? I dunno, in-game vsync was always shit so I'm forcing it through my Nvidia CP. Seems the same on that front, so... perfect.

I ran through arcade mode and some trials and I didn't see any weird frame-yness in offline mode, but doing arcade mode with fight request on I noticed some weird judder when the game queues up someone for you. Like you can tell it found someone because it'll lag for a second before you get the challenger message. It isn't consistent though.

I haven't played AE in over a month... I was barely out of scrub territory before, but now I feel terrible.

Yo, someone wanna get me the costume pack? >_>

Dusk Golem, any opinion on The Forest? You like horror games more than most and I'm curious if I should pick it up or wait. My wife and I. Are looking for a good horror game to play.

Turfster

It's an adventure game that got ruined because they wanted to turn it into yet another GTA clone, set in the 20s. Too many repetitive shooting sections against hordes of mooks that make no sense.

Rockstar Social club goes down every time there's a deal on a Rockstar game... and random other times too.

The_Monk

My good people, does the desk/space you use for PC Gaming is for leisure only or do you also use it for work/studying/productivity purposes?

I'm a big fan of a clean minimalist setup and I find it harder to combine that if you also use the same space for working/studying/etc since you need to have other objects near you. I'm just curious.

My good people, does the desk/space you use for PC Gaming is for leisure only or do you also use it for work/studying/productivity purposes?

I'm a big fan of a clean minimalist setup and I find it harder to combine that if you also use the same space for working/studying/etc since you need to have other objects near you. I'm just curious.

Why don't you get 2 tables?

louiedog

It's a great Adventure game that got bashed because it wasn't a GTA clone set in the 1920s. Admittedly, Rockstar could have been a bit clearer so that expectations would have been set accordingly.

If you are interested in classic Hollywood scandals and murders, you will especially enjoy the game as it incorporates a lot of the macabre aspects, and racial tensions occurring behind the facade that was presented to the general public during and even after the period.

I echo these feelings as my own about the game. I also really liked aspects like The Naked City case (DLC?) being a retelling of the movie of the same name. Playing the episode and then watching the movie was a fun experience for me.

Levyne

Banned

I have a pretty small desk, so I keep my laptop, monitor, speakers and a few things on it and there's not a lot of space for much else. So it's basically only for gaming and web surfing. If I'm doing work, I bring my laptop over to the kitchen table.

From Watch_Dogs:

7BxQ6sK.jpg

Even Ubisoft prefers Steam over uPlay in their own games. :p

For peeps who got that Winter Wolves bundle on Groupees ... the code for Spirited Hearts still isn't up there but if you did register the Desura code, it's there instead. "Enjoy"

Hesemonni

Banned
I'm tempted to buy the whole damn Assassin's Creed series even though I know I'll never have enough time to play even single one of those.

Sometimes I hate gaming.

Salsa

I'm tempted to buy the whole damn Assassin's Creed series even though I know I'll never have enough time to play even single one of those.

im tempted to get back to Revelations and start III

watch_dogs works in strange ways

and by strange ways I mean not really digging watch_dogs but it making me wanna play a bit of ass creed

which is really strange

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
For peeps who got that Winter Wolves bundle on Groupees ... the code for Spirited Hearts still isn't up there but if you did register the Desura code, it's there instead. "Enjoy"

not just groupees, indieroyale aswell (whichever bundle had it, my desura collection has the game so, /shrug too many bundles lol (have to use the client btw, doesnt work from the website)

also, it has cards, dat free money

Authority

Banned
Te Evil Within: 3m preview by PolythePony

If you need further proof that The Evil Within is a supremely gory game, we submit for your approval the above video preview. In it, we showcase some of the game's eerie environments, deadly traps and super messed-up puzzles — like, for instance, one that requires you to bury your fist into a freshly-cut dude-torso. What could possibly be in there? What could possibly be worth that?

Also,

We Investigate Square Enix’s Ghostly Mystery Game, Murdered: Soul Suspect

Now just a week away from release, we caught up with Airtight Games again to talk about launching a new IP and the medium Ronan can communicate with.

Q - What are some of the challenges when launching a new IP now compared to say Dark Void before or Soul Fjord earlier this year?

Matt_Brunner Matt Brunner, Chief Creative Officer at Airtight Games: New IP is the life’s blood of this industry, but very few publishers these days are willing to stick their neck out to keep that lifeline flowing. The incentive for a publishing executive is to find every reason they can not to risk their reputation and company’s resources on untested IP.

The primary challenge we have experienced with new IP is that you are always under the gun to make it AAA with resources that are usually far below the titles they are comparing you to. Square Enix, I am proud to say, was a very reliable, supportive partner in the development of Murdered and showed some real chutzpah in making a game around an IP that was developed from the ground up. I hope gamers give this title a fighting chance and by extension, encourage publishers to be more adventurous with their projects.

Q - When did Murdered: Soul Suspect move to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One? What were you able to do on these consoles that you could do on current gen devices?

The decision to move to next gen consoles came very late in the cycle so we put our focus on making sure that the experience across all platforms was consistent and solid. There are some improvements in the next gen versions however, primarily visual and effects improvements.

Q - Every good detective needs a sidekick. It’s a common trope to have the sidekick personify the reader or in this case player and summarize information they may have missed in other murder mystery stories. Ronan travels with a medium, can you tell us more about her?

A sidekick is definitely part of historical detective work but we didn’t approach the idea of a sidekick for our protagonist at the beginning of the story development. At some point however we realized that it would be extremely interesting to have a living character that Ronan could communicate and develop a relationship with. It also made the danger from the serial killer much more real and personal.

A medium was a natural choice for this character. The interesting thing about Joy, the medium, is that she wants nothing to do with ghosts or Ronan. They’ve plagued her since childhood and she’s sick of them. Ronan isn’t exactly the warm fuzzy type either. They must inevitably develop a common problem to even consider an uneasy alliance. The back and forth play between them as they navigate this alliance is what makes their relationship intriguing.

Q - One tough part about designing a mystery game is avoiding point and click roadblocks where players don’t know what object they’re missing. Since Murdered: Soul Suspect puts you control of a character, you won’t randomly click on objects, but this can still be a design challenge for a player who wants to push forward with the story. How did Airtight Games approach this?

Investigations and clues were an enormous challenge for this game. In real life, clues have no pattern or visual call outs. You have to use all your powers of observation to collect them and then look at the problems from many angles to make a deduction.

We knew up front that we weren’t trying to emulate real life. It would be too frustrating and tedious for the player. At the same time we wanted players to feel like they were figuring the clues out and not just collecting stuff until that last item was found. I think we came up with some ghostly interactions that enable players to make sense of clues in ways that are accessible while allowing them to participate in the thought process of a detective.

Q - How has Airtight balanced the combat with the demons? They look pretty aggressive once one spots Ronan.

The demons are terrifyingly deadly, even to someone who is already dead. But it’s key to understand that this is not a combat-centric game. What we decided to create were very dangerous encounters where you must use your tools and abilities to find your way past them.

There are a lot of different ways to approach an enemy and depending on the strategies you prefer you might never have to deal with one face to face. Don’t underestimate them though. If you’re not careful and alert they’ll violently descend and rip your soul from your (incorporeal) body.

Q - What happens when you go off the beaten path? What kind of collectibles can Ronan find and how does completing side quests affect the game?

Side quests are entirely optional in this game. Our challenge was to make them compelling enough for players to want to do them because they were interesting and not do them because they had to. The side quests are for the most part centered on Ronan’s understanding of the world of the Dusk. They allow him to interact with other ghosts and get glimpses into his own problematic path of completion and escape.

All the collectibles in the game either give you information about Salem and your own back story or they give you a very real reward, such as a ghost story that is embedded in the space you are exploring. You could skip every side quest in the game, but you would be cheating yourself out of a mysterious and integrated gaming experience.

Credits to Siliconera

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is the 25% for murdered still up at GMG? im so tempted

MRORANGE

Depends on how you set it up and what needs, ikea desks - if you have the space are quite good for separating workstations and a place to dump your written material.

I was quite limited on space and I spend half my time not at the computer so I needed a desk that allowed me somewhere to work in comfort, I opted for a keyboard tray with storage overhead and it's worked pretty well.

Things you could do:

- move the PC below the desk, keep the desk clean of all junk if you can
- Shelving helps a lot to keep items that you need without causing too much clutter
- Use a vesa mount for your monitor to save desk space, same for speaker or even better use headphones.
- The desk you use needs to allow you to write in comfort, usually a work area that isn't cluttered by a keyboard is best, think of using a bluetooth kb/m
- Desk size is key, currently my desk is 120cm long and lets have several books/papaers open at the same time for easy cross-referencing.

Sendou

It's an adventure game that got ruined because they wanted to turn it into yet another GTA clone, set in the 20s. Too many repetitive shooting sections against hordes of mooks that make no sense.

Rockstar Social club goes down every time there's a deal on a Rockstar game... and random other times too.

Thanks for the impressions. Decided to buy it. How bad can it be for ~4€?

wait, you serious? I remember being able to switch on the consoles and I could've sworn the game just told me how to but i accidentally pressed a button and missed the specifics as to how. This is just for online play, btw.

Yes. According to IGN review:

What's slightly disappointing about this Arcade Edition is that it doesn't give you the option to swap back to the Super rule set and 36 fighter roster. I point this out because if you download the Arcade Edition on Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 as an upgrade to Super Street Fighter IV, you're given the ability to swap back and forth between Super and Arcade sets.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/07/08/super-street-fighter-iv-arcade-edition-review

Anteater

I actually bought this pc for work purposes, because my mac is like 8 years old, so i wanted a back up, but I ended up continue using my mac since all my programs are there, although I kind of use my pc for everything else now because my mac is just not a pleasant to use but still functionable for work, so important files are kept there with backup hdds, while my pc I could do anything as I want with, also for media editing stuff due to its hardwares being much more capable.

tbh I wouldn't have bought this pc if I didn't thought of using it as a multipurpose machine, I wouldn't really build one just for gaming alone.

I use both computers and my consoles in the same space, so I don't have the comfy couch problem that seems to affect a lot of people on gaf :p

edit: before I built this pc, my gaming/working space had a tv (which was used as secondary monitor for my mac) and a mac, with a million consoles hooked up. Now it's pc+mac with all the old consoles removed from my tv and it's now replaced by a monitor. So I guess it's a lot cleaner.

So did steam change the way their Download system works? I was DLing SSF4:AE some how it stop DLing at 50%, after automatically restarting the download, the download started from the beginning again..

Authority

Banned
The final showdown trophy arranged in a strong and Cock selling fish at Lord's, so there will be so cool "Platinum moment" shots, I'm so wit ha ha @ Youmie sauce (poke big picture, to see the details! fact This game is very conscience that class gold system really kinda disgusting

WTB better Google translator.

not just groupees, indieroyale aswell (whichever bundle had it, my desura collection has the game so, /shrug too many bundles lol (have to use the client btw, doesnt work from the website)

also, it has cards, dat free money

DAMMIT. It's pulling that garbage where you have to request the Steam key in the client it seems. :|

i dont know how that whole key thing works

You go to the B/S/T or eBay or wherever people sell codes.
You buy an AMD code for one of the packages that will let you choose Murdered: Soul Suspect as one of the games.
You redeem the code via AMD and they give you a Steam key for M:SS.

Done, for probably $25 or less.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I echo these feelings as my own about the game. I also really liked aspects like The Naked City case (DLC?) being a retelling of the movie of the same name. Playing the episode and then watching the movie was a fun experience for me.

My dog!

is the 25% for murdered still up at GMG? im so tempted

It's better to purchase a AMD Never Settle Bundle on Ebay.

Thanks for the impressions. Decided to buy it. How bad can it be for ~4€?

Good choice, the only note is that it is locked to 30fps due to the motion capture tech for the characters.

Rhaknar

Because who wants to start the actual client? I don't want to boot that heinous beast just to try to find the page for my keys (it took me like 20 minutes to find it last time. :lol).

indeed. I need to start paying atention to my greenlight bundles, seems this gearcrack arena was also in one recently (no keys yet it seems)

edit: and kill fun yeah also

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Depends on how you set it up and what needs, ikea desks - if you have the space are quite good for separating workstations and a place to dump your written material.

I was quite limited on space and I spend half my time not at the computer so I needed a desk that allowed me somewhere to work in comfort, I opted for a keyboard tray with storage overhead and it's worked pretty well.

I also use an Ikea desk. Currently messy by my standards:

TOXmaH1l.jpg

- Keyboard (cheapest available Dell USB 104 key) and mouse (monoprice compact 3-button) cables go into a slot.
- I have a few little toys to occupy me when I'm feeling fidgety. I swap stuff in and out every month or so so stuff doesn't get old and so my desk doesn't get cluttered. Right now: Staples brand call-for-service silver bell and a small Scleich plastic bird figurine.
- Ecosphere.
- The penguin sculpture there is carbonized ceramic.
- Water bottle (1L Arrow H2O on the Go Jr.).
- I should probably wall-mount my router (Asus N-66U) at some point.
- Headphones (Monoprice cheapies) hung up on the wall on a Steeve hook
- I normally use monitor speakers (monitor is the Sony PlayStation 3D Monitor)
- Right now my desk has one of my pepper plants on it because it's starting to flower and the desk has good exposure to some of my best windows.
- Space in front of keyboard if I need a book
- Space to the left of keyboard if I want to put my Macbook Air on the desk for double computer action.

Simultaneously "minimal" in that it's got space and isn't too visually distracting, as well as lived in and useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom