• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

After resisting for the longest time imaginable, I finally caved and bought a Uplay game because Child of Light looks cool. Suddenly:

I can honestly say that this has never ever happened to me before in my years of using this handle. I'm actually a bit pissed.

I had a similar situation where my goto user wasn't usable. Though in hindsight, the amount of times Uplay has been hacked I'm quite glad the information they have stored is not attributed to other services I use.

Lizardus

Sorry, reposting because last one was literally the last post on last page

Everyone upgrade their CPU!!!!

For Wolfenstein: New Order

System Requirements
Minimum:
Processor: Intel Core i7 or equivalent AMD
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce 460, ATI Radeon HD 6850
Hard Drive: 50 GB available space

Grief.exe

I discussed this in the Call of Duty thread, but I thought it would be pertinent for discussion here as well. I think one of the issues with reducing the price on Call of Duty is the mechanical similarities between the series.

If they offer CoD4 or MW2 for $2.50, then a potential customer will just pick those up and get a similar experience to the newer games.
Especially considering something like MW1 and BOII are still well populated with players, even more so then the latest iteration.

Keeping them ridiculously priced may reduce these purchases to a degree. After all, why would you spend $10-$15 on a 5 year old game, when you can grab the latest iteration for $25-$30?

After typing this initially, I realized my own situation falls into this hypothesis. On Antitrop's suggestion, I picked up and replayed MW1 for $5 from GetGames. I ended up not enjoying the game very much, but I felt that I had my fill of COD and won't be purchasing another title.

Man.... Replaying the jedi knight series at native screen res and 60fps locked is gonna be a treat. Last time I played them was on a 2004 pc that could barely hold 30 without dips.

I'm sure it was on a low-resolution CRT at that point too!

child of light is good, and uplay isn't so bad, unless it deletes my saves or some shit i don't have any problem with it so far

I wish they had forgone the implementation entirely.

Just want Steam support + Uplay overlay at worst. Worst case scenario I can just crack the exe at that point to run the game.
Not sure that would be possible with Uplay required patching process. Though the only Uplay title I own is AC2 so my experience with the client is mainly by proxy.

Sorry, reposting because last one was literally the last post on last page

Everyone upgrade their CPU!!!!

For Wolfenstein: New Order

System Requirements
Minimum:
Processor: Intel Core i7 or equivalent AMD
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce 460, ATI Radeon HD 6850
Hard Drive: 50 GB available space

Recommended specs have become increasingly ridiculous as time goes on. Take them with a massive grain of salt.

Take the Dark Souls II specs for example, they recomend a GTX 750. I'm running a 560 ti SLI set up with downsampling, SSAO, SGSSAA x2. It's ridiculous.

Anteater

i'm not upgrading my cpu for the next 5 years

I wish they had forgone the implementation entirely.

Just want Steam support + Uplay overlay at worst. Worst case scenario I can just crack the exe at that point to run the game.
Not sure that would be possible with Uplay required patching process. Though the only Uplay title I own is AC2 so my experience with the client is mainly by proxy.

yeah they are pretty pointless, so many overlays lol

Pachimari

I just bought a Intel i5 4670K 4C/4T, and hope I don't have to replace it within the next 3 years. Seeing Wolfenstein, Watch Dogs and such recommend an i7 already worries me, but I'm new to PC gaming.

Are you sure you didn't make a uplay account sometime awhile ago, and forgot about it? Maybe it's yours.

That thought did occur to me actually, but I've been using the same email address for nearly 15 years now and it was allowed. What kind of sick bastard steals a man's username?

Sorry dude, I liked your user name and you were slow on the draw.

Anyway, if anybody wants somebody for their Trials Fusion leaderboards add me: jimjambongs

rBtS2rG.gif

derExperte

Minimum? That can't be right. And it doesn't matter, whatever they want us to believe the mighty 2500K will live on long after we and our children's children have died.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I discussed this in the Call of Duty thread, but I thought it would be pertinent for discussion here as well. I think one of the issues with reducing the price on Call of Duty is the mechanical similarities between the series.

If they offer CoD4 or MW2 for $2.50, then a potential customer will just pick those up and get a similar experience to the newer games.
Especially considering something like MW1 and BOII are still well populated with players, even more so then the latest iteration.

Keeping them ridiculously priced may reduce these purchases to a degree. After all, why would you spend $10-$15 on a 5 year old game, when you can grab the latest iteration for $25-$30?

After typing this initially, I realized my own situation falls into this hypothesis. On Antitrop's suggestion, I picked up and replayed MW1 for $5 from GetGames. I ended up not enjoying the game very much, but I felt that I had my fill of COD and won't be purchasing another title.

The other thing going against them as well is that up to and including W@W they had mods, let people run their own dedicated servers (as in released the server files) etc. None of the newer ones do that, hell Black Ops 2/Ghosts don't even have server lists. I'm sure that puts a lot of the PC fanbase off.

Hell I was messing with COD4 their just now and there's loooooooooads of servers, something like 7000 of them. Still a very very popular game on PC.

Dr Dogg

i'm not upgrading my cpu for the next 5 years

If you go look up how many games actually use Intel's Hyperthreading you'll realise that owning an I7 solely for gaming is close to pointless unless you want the maximum performance in the handful of titles that support it. It might change in the future but that's a drum people have been beating for nigh on a decade.

yeah they are pretty pointless, so many overlays lol

What's a real pain is all my screenshot keys are by default F12 so with Precision/Afterburner, Steam and Uplay on at the same time it goes nuts. Really must get round to changing that.

Grief.exe

I just bought a Intel i5 4670K 4C/4T, and hope I don't have to replace it within the next 3 years. Seeing Wolfenstein, Watch Dogs and such recommend an i7 already worries me, but I'm new to PC gaming.

Apply an overclock to that processor and you will not need to upgrade. I'm still on an OC'd i5 2500k and I feel no need to upgrade.

I will say that in the previous generation, you could generally skip springing for the i7. Most games were single threaded, with multi-threaded applications few and far between. With the current-gen systems, we will see more multi-threaded games and get a use out of the hyper-threading in the i7.

My next upgrade will probably be an i7 Broadwell or Skylake series.

Anteater

If you go look up how many games actually use Intel's Hyperthreading you'll realise that owning an I7 solely for gaming is close to pointless unless you want the maximum performance in the handful of titles that support it. It might change in the future but that's a drum people have been beating for nigh on a decade.

What's a real pain is all my screenshot keys are by default F12 so with Precision/Afterburner, Steam and Uplay on at the same time it goes nuts. Really must get round to changing that.

yea, I was told i5 is enough for a while so I went with that.

For uplay I changed the screenshot to something else, I have F12 for both afterburner and steam!

how much are the wolfenstein games right now ??

Wolfenstein 3d: 1,24 euros
RTCW: 2,49 euros (what a steal!)
Wolf New Order 49,99 e

Goddamn at the amount of stupid deaths in DkS2 today. I am guessing 100 but that could be a bit off.

Oh yeah and bought Vampire - Masquerade, can't wait to play it for the first time.

Pachimari

Why is my FRAPS fps not showing up on my monitor anymore? It's set to overlay in the left corner, and by clicking F12 I can change the position but I can't see the fps counter anywhere on my monitor.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong?

Backlogger

Blops1 and all the map packs for only 60€. What are you complaining about???

side-eye-what-you-talking-about-willis1.jpg

Seriously though, its like Activision doesn't want to join the PC sale pricing band wagon. On one hand I guess I can understand it, but on the other hand these games' multi-player presences are probably pretty weak at this point.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just played through Dante's Inferno on consoles. Weird that it never got a PC release.

Yeah it's especially weird because I think it uses the same engine as the Dead Space games which means they were used to porting stuff from that framework to PC already. I would have rebought it on PC for sure.

Dr Dogg

yea, I was told i5 is enough for a while so I went with that.

For uplay I changed the screenshot to something else, I have F12 for both afterburner and steam!

Hyperthreading gets a little bit misappropriated by some people. No doubt in processes that use it are quicker but not by a magnitude of 2 times. Consider it like eating with 2 hands over 1. The meal stays the same size and you can only consume as much food as you can chew but you can get extra food in your mouth in the times your other hand was on it's way to your plate.

Just played through Dante's Inferno on consoles. Weird that it never got a PC release.

It is bizarre considering Visceral's other games, Dead Space came over as well as pretty much all of EA's other internally developed games at the time but Dante's Inferno was missing. Don't know if they thought that PC wasn't the place to try and sell a hack and slash game as there wasn't many at the time but some of there other riskier ventures had no problem coming over.

Tizoc

child of light is good, and uplay isn't so bad, unless it deletes my saves or some shit i don't have any problem with it so far

Actually Jase lost his AC4 save data at one point.
BACK UP YO SAVE GAME, BRAH!

Picked up Return to Castle Wolfenstein today, missed out on the GMG sale so I traded Playfire Bucks for Steam Bucks.

I'm holding off on getting Wolfenstein NO until GMG e-mail a 30% discount code.
Once they do, I'm grabbin' that bad mofo.
...unless they started wising up and only offer a max of 25% discount codes in which case, what the hey, I'm slaughtering Nazis by DUAL WIELDING SHOTGUNS and it'll be worth the moola.

Braag

lol this Activision sale.
Dem prices :D They brought their prices down to what other publishers have their games cost normally.

Lomax

Game Time! First person to guess my favorite Nightwish song gets a copy of Papers, Please. 3 songs per entry. You have 3 hours

Scaretale
Bye Bye Beautiful
Storytime

Well those are my favorites anyway. You're probably old school and like Wish I Had an Angel or something like that ;)

Edit: I really should click refresh first...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wow just woke up and saw the Call of Duty sale prices. Was ready to jump if they were 75% off, thought that (at worst) they would be 66%. Activision - there is a reason I don't own any of these games on Steam.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What you think of it Stump ?

Don't want to derail the thread too much or be that guy who talks about console games in the PC thread, but... I liked it OK. I don't really like games like God of War, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, MGR:R, or other "character action" games--I generally don't like 3D Beat-em-up combat. So I played Dante's Inferno on the easy difficulty, which is unusual for me. It took me 5:57 give or take to beat the game and I never died in combat (died from platforming issues a few times). I paid $3.75 in Microsoft points for it on sale and had used a scam to get discount Microsoft points so it cost me a hair under $3.

Things I liked:
- Performance is great on consoles, feels like 60 give or take the whole game with no tearing that I noticed
- The visuals differ from level to level as you descend into hell and it's pretty interesting. Some of the areas are inspired. I know it's fresh in my head but thinking back there's a surprising amount of visual and thematic variety, even though it's all sort of grungy and dungeony.
- The entire game has you going downwards, which like Spec Ops I think provokes an interesting feeling
- Combat was fine. It's one of those "fake deep" combat systems that makes you feel like it's deep by giving you lots of options but you largely don't need to use them.
- Some of the text is lifted directly from the poem and sounds suitably cool.
- The puzzles, such as they are--they're like God of War or Prince of Persia puzzles, just moving boxes or flipping levers--were fine.

Things I didn't like:
- QTEs; QTEs to open doors, QTE to open the game's equivalent of loot boxes, QTEs to kill bosses and bigger enemies, a terrible rhythm game that's like hungry hungry hippos that you play a few dozen times. Just stop. And they use both timed QTEs and button-mashy QTEs. And you kill the last boss with a QTE sequence.
- Forced slow-walking. Several segments of the game, including the last segment before the final boss, have forced slow-walking. There's also parts where you take control of big monsters and walk slowly around. This is a miserable experience. It has never been good in any game, it has never added depth or purpose, it has never provoked an emotional response, it's not mechanically interesting. Stop doing this developers. Let me move at my character's natural speed for the entire course of the game, period. If you're doing it to hide loading, just give me a load screen, it's less frustrating.
- Platforming was pretty iffy. Your vertical jump to horizontal thrust ratio is not good, the physics aren't tight enough, attacking in air halts your momentum even though they put enemies in platforming sections. It's no big deal, but it's frustrating to die in a platforming error and have a checkpoint respawn you like just long enough ago that you're pissed off having to do the section again.

Things that don't work at all:
- The story. This isn't me being a snob because it's an adaptation of Dante's Inferno. I've read some of Inferno but I'm not particularly a "fan" or whatever. It's more significant in its impact on Christianity than its literary value IMHO. But that's totally besides the point. The story, for a video game story, on its own, independent of the poem... is stupid. Basically, you get blasted with low quality animated scenes every few minutes, mostly of tits and blood. It's so overwhelming, forced, and dour. It just puts you in a bad mood when you're playing the game.
- Boobs. I'm serious, the game is boobs boobs boobs the whole game. It starts with you finding your dead naked wife. Then her naked ghost gets dragged into hell where you follow her. Every time she appears you see her boobs. Every female enemy has her boobs out. There's a female bosses that shoots dead babies out of its boobs. All the animated cutscenes have boobs. It's just boobs boobs boobs. I can't even stress how embarrassing this is, and unlike the violence which is justified by the fact that this is a depiction of hell, the boobs are mostly just added to sell the game and it's obvious.
- The writing. You know how sometimes in video games the bad guy goes on a big speech where he's like "What if I'm not a bad guy? What if taking over the world and enslaving people is good and YOU'RE the bad guy because you're trying to stop me? Also you killed my henchmen. So deal with that, bad guy". Okay, well, the Devil does this to you. The Devil. Literally evil incarnate. Tells you what if you're worse than he is. He also yells "NOOOOOO" as he dies. Every original line written for the game is basically poorly written.
- The game takes place over 9 chapters or so, one for each circle of hell. The second last chapter is a series of combat arenas. It's an unbelievably transparent filler section. It takes like an hour. It's not interesting. You go to a room. You fight enemies for four or five minutes (and for bonus awkwardly "gamey" stuff there are secret bonus objectives in each combat room). The combat system does not sustain this. It kills the pacing. I have no idea what they were thinking... and then when you beat the game you unlock ANOTHER combat arena mode... and then one of the two sets of DLC is ANOTHER combat arena mode. Are you kidding me?
- After you beat the game you are asked to save. If you load your completed save, you get the credits. So no way to revisit any earlier areas of the game... or if you're like me and missed a single collectible two minutes before the end of the game and that's the only collectible you missed, tough shit.

Most reviews got this game right, sort of a 6.5-7.5. Playable, enjoyable, fine to get through, but flawed and limited. I'd recommend a buy if you like the genre and are willing to try something flawed and appreciate the interesting ideas while forgiving the bad ones. But also I'm the wrong person to ask because again, I don't like the games in this genre that get 9s across the board, so if you do your taste and mine probably diverge.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
One in which there is someone named En-Ex :eek:
That would make trading between my alts easier.

Trust Ubisoft to have forgotten to maintain separate database clusters for different dimensions.
Wouldn't it be cool to have inter-dimensional Steam trading? I mean surely, Valve is closing in on a reliable local teleport technology, something Ubisoft still hasn't mastered. Gabe thinks their models are string-based, similar to our Calabi-Yau model, but they fail to factor in the dark energy equations. They can tunnel through from their universe, but once they're here, they're dependent on local digital distribution platforms.

Vibranium

Banned

It's bad when it constantly harasses you on PS4 about signing up for Uplay, without an option to disable notifications. Ubisoft needs to respect people who don't want to get digital rewards. Other than that, the console versions don't have to run the client so that's where I am for their games these days.

I hope the rumors about Watch Dogs only requiring a one-time Uplay account check in, and then you can just launch it through Steam, are true. Ubi should take a look at the Community page of South Park to see how many people really are enjoying the game by itself.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Cheers for your thoughts Stump :) I'd agree with most of those points as well though I guess the boobs didn't really bother me that much :p

I would 'maybe' argue with one thing and that's 'Combat was fine. It's one of those "fake deep" combat systems that makes you feel like it's deep by giving you lots of options but you largely don't need to use them.' The only reason I'd argue against this is because you played on easy. Action games tend to have you use most of the mechanics more on higher difficulties. However I don't really know with Dantes Infeno itself as I just played it on normal, never played the higher difficulties and to be honest it's been so long since I've played it you could be right too.

Li Kao

Wolfenstein 3D and Wolf Pack are also 75% off.

Yes it does, played it a few months ago. Though I think I installed an unofficial patch for higher resolutions support and stuff.

Goooooood, I must be the only one interested but I have had the urge to go back to basics with a replay of Wolfenstein and Doom but couldn't justify the purchase at full price.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
You know, I would have been way more hyped for Dante's Inferno if it was a survival horror game.

Why we don't have a survival horror - survival - exploration trilogy based off each part of Divine Comedy I'll never know. It's just all so rich and plenty open for great ideas, but instead they had to go for "shock the audience, forget the point of the actual story" God of War wannabe like that or the Demton Design's flawed "exact movement required" Adventure (Atari game) wannabe.

Yakkue

What do I look for in the Steam Database to work out if a game is region locked? I want to try to get COD: War Chest from a Russian trader.

Seems to be restricted in germany only, if I'm reading this correctly:
PurchaseRestrictedCountries Germany
RestrictedCountries Germany

aku:jiki

I don't quite know how to stop playing Isaac, damn. My "currently playing" library just keeps growing and growing and every time I try to force myself to try some new games out I just keep being drawn back in.

Most reviews got this game right, sort of a 6.5-7.5. Playable, enjoyable, fine to get through, but flawed and limited. I'd recommend a buy if you like the genre and are willing to try something flawed and appreciate the interesting ideas while forgiving the bad ones. But also I'm the wrong person to ask because again, I don't like the games in this genre that get 9s across the board, so if you do your taste and mine probably diverge.
I sort of both love and hate how Inferno's aesthetics and story were both obviously created by a 15 year old metalhead, something he came up with inbetween drawing pentagrams all over his math books and reading what he thinks is a reprint of the actual Necronomicon.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I would 'maybe' argue with one thing and that's 'Combat was fine. It's one of those "fake deep" combat systems that makes you feel like it's deep by giving you lots of options but you largely don't need to use them.' The only reason I'd argue against this is because you played on easy. Action games tend to have you use most of the mechanics more on higher difficulties. However I don't really know with Dantes Infeno itself as I just played it on normal, never played the higher difficulties so you could be right too.

Well, you can tell that the depth is illusory in part because the progression system can't be maxed out during the game, so it's possible for a player to be all Holy, all Unholy, or a mix of both. As a result, basically any combat style you choose works. I favoured the cross because it was pretty OP on Easy and really handled crowd clearing. Since most of the combat in the game basically boiled down to fighting 10-12 little nugget guys and a few medium sized guys, the shotgun approach worked very well. The game's timing on counters and dodges isn't as tight as something like Bayonetta so I doubt there's much in the way of high level play in terms of precision either.

I mean this is not really a complaint, like I said I don't much like beat-em-up systems so I'm glad the combat mostly stayed out of my way and felt satisfying.

Why we don't have a survival horror - survival - exploration trilogy based off each part of Divine Comedy I'll never know. It's just all so rich and plenty open for great ideas, but instead they had to go for "shock the audience, forget the point of the actual story" God of War wannabe like that or the Demton Design's flawed "exact movement required" Adventure (Atari game) wannabe.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is probably the most hellish adventure game out there and in many respects its thematic content explores the same kind of reflection on the human condition that Dante went for in the original Inferno. Plus I'm no longer derailing the thread because now I'm talking about a PC game that's on Steam.

Arthea

i7? min reqs? Are they serious?
not going to buy it anytime soon, but curious how it runs on lower specs

edited: another thing I'm curious about: why so many games made for controllers don't have mouse support, and in general kb and mouse controls aren't good. It sorta weird to play a PC game without being able to use mouse even in menus, not mentioning annoying as I try to use it anyway, out of habit.

Heads up, TF2 keys are dipping at $2.30~ right now

sorry for the ridiculous question, but does the trading market (i guess tf2 trading post) usually stay consistent with steam sale prices? Like, would it be an alright move to grab a few keys now and not be stuck with Itchy and Scratchy Bucks?

Corpekata

Banned
sorry for the ridiculous question, but does the trading market (i guess tf2 trading post) usually stay consistent with steam sale prices? Like, would it be an alright move to grab a few keys now and not be stuck with Itchy and Scratchy Bucks?

More or less. They tend to take a bit of a hit around big sales like Summer Sales though since a lot of people unload the keys (and prices dip). So I'd say buy them if you're for instance, thinking of getting a new game this month maybe but want to save a few bucks. If you're just thinking generally stockpiling them you're better off waiting till the summer sale. The value will recover a bit after the sale though, so it won't ever be a huge loss really.

DocSeuss

Why don't people like Serious Sam 2 again? Just played some on hard for a video I'm making about FPSes (homework yaaaay). Was intense and fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom