• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas, I have a question.

I just got a controller to play some games and have my laptop hooked up to my TV to play in big picture mode.

The screens are synced and the Steam menu works perfectly with my controller and everything but as soon as I actually decide to launch a game the feed to my TV cuts out and I get a "no signal" thing displayed on my TV. My laptop, however, continues to run Steam/the game perfectly.

Anybody have any idea why the game isn't being displayed on my TV as well as my laptop? Is there something wrong with my settings that I haven't looked at?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

mrgone

How is "Sir, You are being hunted" ?

I havn't played it in the last few months (they've added a bunch of content leading up to the full release) but it was pretty great at the time. It's also a randomly generated survival/stealth game so expect great oppression by well-dressed mechanically obsessive robots you're incapable of properly fighting almost all of the time.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Tweed as fuck.

I have to admit I'm a tad disappointed in the lack of depth in a lot of its systems which prevents it from really becoming a great survival type game but the comedy sprinkled throughout helps make it a lot better. I'm actually working on a review covering how far it has come since Alpha to 1.0, will be sure to post that up somewheres once it is done.

Is it worth picking up?

If you're in the mood for survival stuff and aren't on the Day Z train or want a single player experience, I would say it is worth it. I think the game will really shine when they establish the Battle Royale-esque multiplayer mode some time down the line.

it's a 4/5 from me

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I'm kind of surprised that nobody has yet uncovered the "secret feature" added to Enhanced Steam yesterday. :)

Is this new?

hgZ6q0V.png

Maybe I just missed it before :)

Tizoc

EDIT: Ah Darksiders 2 has cheevos that can be gotten within an hour or two, but Space Marine's may require you to beat the game for them!
Maybe I will aim to get these cheevos...I've got space to spare lol.

Also Kung Fu Strike is unnecessarily hard lol.

I feel the handheld craze coming over me. Haven't played Dark Souls 2 for most of the week, any urge to play something has been met by me opening up my DS and going through a level in Mega Man Zero Collection instead.

pray for me

Hey fellas, I have a question.

I just got a controller to play some games and have my laptop hooked up to my TV to play in big picture mode.

The screens are synced and the Steam menu works perfectly with my controller and everything but as soon as I actually decide to launch a game the feed to my TV cuts out and I get a "no signal" thing displayed on my TV. My laptop, however, continues to run Steam/the game perfectly.

Anybody have any idea why the game isn't being displayed on my TV as well as my laptop? Is there something wrong with my settings that I haven't looked at?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Can anybody help me out here? I bought LEGO Marvel so my girlfriend could play it and now we're just sitting here waiting for either somebody here to help or Steam to get back to my help ticket.

Anybody have any ideas?

Kiru

Can anybody help me out here? I bought LEGO Marvel so my girlfriend could play it and now we're just sitting here waiting for either somebody here to help or Steam to get back to my help ticket.

Anybody have any ideas?
Maybe the TV can't handle the resolution of the game ? Is it happening with any game you try to run ?

I haven't been on Steam in a while, and decided to log in today to see if anything's new. I had 4 new messages, which were all beta keys for a Dead Island Epidemic beta game. I never heard of the game before, but decided to give it a shot since I like the Dead Island series. Turns out the game is a sorta MOBA/Diablo game.

I played a game mode called Hoard Mode, and it was pretty fun. You just survive through a level, and kill the boss at the end. It's not difficult, and is a good side mode to play. I then tried out Survivor Mode, which is the main mode of the game. It was very easy to get the hang of. I did hate how some of the infected players were a little OP, compared to my regular survivor. I was getting melted when I fought an infected/armored character. I'm not even sure if I was getting matched up with the correct character level players I was at. Some of them had some high tier weapons, while I had a tier 1 weapon. I thought there being 3 teams, would make team-ups happen. Surprisingly, everyone was killing everyone. Which I was glad to see.

Overall, it was pretty fun. It has some balancing issues, but it's still fun to play.

Maybe the TV can't handle the resolution of the game ? Is it happening with any game you try to run ?

Well now I feel dumb.

The LEGO games (Batman 2, LOTR, and Marvel) are not working but I tried House of the Dead: Overkill and that worked fine.

Any idea why the LEGO games wouldn't work? Since it's just them I am assuming that this is something fixable.

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons. Worth buying/playing? It seems to have some Ico vibes.
Get it and play through it in one sitting. It's 2-3 hours long but it's a great experience. Really recommend it. I think it requires a controller but in case it doesn't, you should use one anyhow. Can't imagine it working well without one.

Dr Dogg

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons. Worth buying/playing? It seems to have some Ico vibes.

Yeah I'd say so if you're likening it to Ico. It's more comparable to a fairytale world (Brothers Grimm stories if you will) that Ico and you are in control of both brothers with 1 controller. Gameplay is puzzle based and the story evolves though the journey. Easy to do it one sitting in about 5 hours with really taking your time and taking in all the scenery.

Kiru

Well now I feel dumb.

The LEGO games (Batman 2, LOTR, and Marvel) are not working but I tried House of the Dead: Overkill and that worked fine.

Any idea why the LEGO games wouldn't work? Since it's just them I am assuming that this is something fixable.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/267530/discussions/0/540734792296332726/
Only found this discussion. Mabye it might help you ?

Problem solved. I went to D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\The LEGO® Movie - Videogame\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2010 and ran both the vcredist_x64 & vcredist_x86
and now it works via my HDMI out from GFX card to TV so sofa co-op is back on!! (running these should be part of the initial first time setup, I think AGAIN someone at TT forgot)

hohoXD123

Hmmm, let me think. Hell yes. It's very short, maybe 2-3 hours so best enjoyed in one sitting. Visuals are gorgeous, pretty feelsy and has some quite memorable moments. Only things letting it down are the horrible controls and weak puzzles, but yeah would highly recommend it.

Zia

Here's the best game:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Limbo -- MB-72DB2E14218AC0FE - Taken by HalfwayOrb

Really? Good thing I bought it yesterday!

It's the forth best seller on steam and there are a lot of unhappy people in the community forums. I'm sure they'll roll them out eventually, but to those that want to gt on immediatly it must be frustrating.

Edit: and the source is me, my friends and the community forums =]

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want to spoil it for anyone who wants to find it on their own:
It's birthday balloons and streamers and a birthday message on your birthday.

Yeah, that would have taken forever for me to find out. Still a cool little feature.

Faen, tror jeg er litt full. Hjelp GAF!

Drunk, you say (according to internet translations)? Allow me to direct you to this thread.

Reckoner

The Left 4 Dead community sometimes can drive me crazy. I was on the last part of Blood Harvest on Expert waiting for someone to join and help me. One random guy joins, kills me and then starts accusing me of teamkill and got me kicked.

Is there a way to report this kind of behavior?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The Left 4 Dead community sometimes can drive me crazy. I was on the last part of Blood Harvest on Expert waiting for someone to join and help me. One random guy joins, kills me and then starts accusing me of teamkill and got me kicked.

Is there a way to report this kind of behavior?

Sadly no. The best way to avoid this is to play with friends or find a more mature community who doesn't like to put up with stupid shit like that.

Kiru

Do you know what he means by "and ran both the vcredist_x64 & vcredist_x86" ?

I found those files just like he listed, however I don't know what to do with that. I right clicked and found "run as administrator" but don't really know what to do from there...

Thanks for getting me this far though!
I would have thought just running them like .exe files would do something. I'm no tech expert, but if other games run well, then the LEGO games you listed might have some weird refresh rates, resolution etc that your TV just can't handle. Someone who's tech savy should help. :/

Reckoner

Sadly no. The best way to avoid this is to play with friends or find a more mature community who doesn't like to put up with stupid shit like that.

It really makes me sad how people can be like this. I really love playing Left 4 Dead, but sometimes I just want to quit and never touch it again. Most of my friends already stopped playing, so there's no other way for me to keep playing that isn't with strangers.

Tame

for anyone that was sleeping when i first posted this raffle.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 15 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Humble Gift Link
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams -- MB-136775445E110040
Dust: An Elysian Tail -- MB-093E3F5C397D5FCD
Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-533161549F8124BC
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-42903AC7C3FB95F9
FEZ -- MB-6E293F7665CCAF13
To the Moon -- MB-4CD9B3F0D4683603
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien -- MB-CA8C736A0DFE3432
Strike Suit Zero -- MB-822F088247DC176E
Titan Attacks! -- MB-CC358C94C7E47CF7
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North -- MB-3A06A57D21B60A8C

steam keys
Mark of the Ninja -- MB-F8708B2C48844169
Brutal Legend -- MB-EE497F52CE862001 - Taken by fspm
Bastion -- MB-0B269626920F2232
LIMBO -- MB-60D32B7BA883216E
FTL: Faster Than Light -- MB-3FE24975DCF04DA2

t1399199203z1.png

dont now how to make a link that takes you to the original post as i'm rubbish at internetin and the like

Tame

It really makes me sad how people can be like this. I really love playing Left 4 Dead, but sometimes I just want to quit and never touch it again. Most of my friends already stopped playing, so there's no other way for me to keep playing that isn't with strangers.

know how you feel buddy. I've only got one friend that games on PC and he rarely plays due to having a young family. Ive been a member of a few mature gamer forums but they focus on consoles. Some have a pc section but are rarely touched

Miguel81

Get it and play through it in one sitting. It's 2-3 hours long but it's a great experience. Really recommend it. I think it requires a controller but in case it doesn't, you should use one anyhow. Can't imagine it working well without one.

Yeah I'd say so if you're likening it to Ico. It's more comparable to a fairytale world (Brothers Grimm stories if you will) that Ico and you are in control of both brothers with 1 controller. Gameplay is puzzle based and the story evolves though the journey. Easy to do it one sitting in about 5 hours with really taking your time and taking in all the scenery.

Hmmm, let me think. Hell yes. It's very short, maybe 2-3 hours so best enjoyed in one sitting. Visuals are gorgeous, pretty feelsy and has some quite memorable moments. Only things letting it down are the horrible controls and weak puzzles, but yeah would highly recommend it.

Thanks for the responses. I have a DS3 so I'm pretty set for a controller. It's on sale over at Gamersgate for peanuts and it looks very charming.

Do you know what he means by "and ran both the vcredist_x64 & vcredist_x86" ?

I found those files just like he listed, however I don't know what to do with that. I right clicked and found "run as administrator" but don't really know what to do from there...

Thanks for getting me this far though!

I would have thought just running them like .exe files would do something. I'm no tech expert, but if other games run well, then the LEGO games you listed might have some weird refresh rates, resolution etc that your TV just can't handle. Someone who's tech savy should help. :/

Anybody else in here have any ideas?

Can you private message somebody on Steam? If you can(and I assume you can), how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom