• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of tempted to grab CoD4. I was given a copy of it on a disc about two years ago and it was a really fun timewaster with all the mods and the proper server support. I don't even have a DVD drive on my current PC so it might actually be worth the ten bucks... any of you guys going to jump in?

Not until that old ass game reaches at least 75% off. No excuses at this point.

More or less. They tend to take a bit of a hit around big sales like Summer Sales though since a lot of people unload the keys (and prices dip). So I'd say buy them if you're for instance, thinking of getting a new game this month maybe but want to save a few bucks. If you're just thinking generally stockpiling them you're better off waiting till the summer sale.

thanks a lot, that's pretty convenient since I was going to save them for SS anyways.

Grief.exe

I'm kind of tempted to grab CoD4. I was given a copy of it on a disc about two years ago and it was a really fun timewaster with all the mods and the proper server support. I don't even have a DVD drive on my current PC so it might actually be worth the ten bucks... any of you guys going to jump in?
Not until that old ass game reaches at least 75% off. No excuses at this point.

Keep your eyes on the mac version, I grabbed it for $5 and it activates on Steam.

After resisting for the longest time imaginable, I finally caved and bought a Uplay game because Child of Light looks cool. Suddenly:

uplay-wtf-bitch.png

I can honestly say that this has never ever happened to me before in my years of using this handle. I'm actually a bit pissed.

Maybe did you create a Ubi account from another game without knowing? Like something on a console or old PC game? My Ubi account has my Xbox 360 gamertag from 2007-8 as the login name because I created it so long ago on some random game I don't remember.

mrgone

Why don't people like Serious Sam 2 again? Just played some on hard for a video I'm making about FPSes (homework yaaaay). Was intense and fun.

It's still a lot of fun, just not quite what fans of the original games were expecting. SS2's almost to Serious Sam what Doom 3 was to Doom in that they greatly reduced the enemy encounter and map sizes, and lessened the impact of the weapons. It was also released simultaneously for the Xbox, so people were pissed that a lot of those changes were potentially made to allow the game to run on console hardware.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Postal -- MB-3BAA91A55C10BC34 - Taken by Newblade

I'm guessing no one has played it, but if someone has, are the Cabela games good? I wish there were more open-world games set in Africa. All I can think of that does it alright is Far Cry 2 and that game has an enormous amount of gameplay flaws.

DocSeuss

Ugh, trying to record FPS footage for this video I'm doing, and FRAPS does NOT like Bioshock 2, it seems.

It's still a lot of fun, just not quite what fans of the original games were expecting. SS2's almost to Serious Sam what Doom 3 was to Doom in that they greatly reduced the enemy encounter and map sizes, and lessened the impact of the weapons. It was also released simultaneously for the Xbox, so people were pissed that a lot of those changes were potentially made to allow the game to run on console hardware.

I dunno. Even on hard, the pistol, shotgun, and plasma rifle all pack a pretty good punch. Yeah, the maps are smaller, but they're tighter. That said, no, I haven't encountered any ~1000 enemy encounters, but I seem to remember them from last time I played. I honestly feel the maps are better, though the secrets aren't quite as good. And I love the art style.

Newblade

Thanks The_Super_Inframan! Now it's my turn.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

SUGAR CUBE: BITTERSWEET FACTORY -- MB-24CD44DF82CD09DF - Taken by DocSeuss

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Planning on giving away some copies of Battleblock Theater when it officially comes out! Is there any easy way for me to get keys instead of just having them in my inventory and giving them to raffle winners manually?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is probably the most hellish adventure game out there and in many respects its thematic content explores the same kind of reflection on the human condition that Dante went for in the original Inferno. Plus I'm no longer derailing the thread because now I'm talking about a PC game that's on Steam.

Is it? I've had it on my wishlist for quite some time, but never got around to buying it. I'll definitely have to pick it up on the next sale then.

Why don't people like Serious Sam 2 again? Just played some on hard for a video I'm making about FPSes (homework yaaaay). Was intense and fun.

I remember at the time the expectation for the game was for it to become bigger, as in terms of enemies and waves of enemies just coming out as a flood in an even more wacky over the top way. It's still quite a lot of fun, but I imagine the tighter level design and more focus on having the opportunity to figure out an optimal way through the enemies just wasn't the desire at the time.

It's gotten more love recently with all the recent sales on it though, both original and HD.

Grief.exe

Planning on giving away some copies of Battleblock Theater when it officially comes out! Is there any easy way for me to get keys instead of just having them in my inventory and giving them to raffle winners manually?

Check the modbot thread linked in the OP. There is a post that details how to easily give away gift copies through modbot.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Is it? I've had it on my wishlist for quite some time, but never got around to buying it. I'll definitely have to pick it up on the next sale then.

It's definitely a game you should play at least once. It's really great, though some of the puzzles can get really obtuse at times.

Had a Windows automatic update kill a game of Civ at 3 in the morning. No, warning, no pop-up, game just vanished and I hadn't saved because I didn't know what time it was :(

I remember playing Dante's Inferno a few years ago. I like the action, hack and slash genre. Even on Normal, its easy. QTE's everywhere and you can read the poem from the options. Didn't die once. Its enjoyable, but easily forgetable.

So that's the biggest discount on CoD so far or ever been. Still wouldn't get it.

dorkimoe

I remember playing Dante's Inferno a few years ago. I like the action, hack and slash genre. Even on Normal, its easy. QTE's everywhere and you can read the poem from the options. Didn't die once. Its enjoyable, but easily forgetable.

So that's the biggest discount on CoD so far or ever been. Still wouldn't get it.

i really enjoyed that game

mrgone

Ugh, trying to record FPS footage for this video I'm doing, and FRAPS does NOT like Bioshock 2, it seems.

I dunno. Even on hard, the pistol, shotgun, and plasma rifle all pack a pretty good punch. Yeah, the maps are smaller, but they're tighter. That said, no, I haven't encountered any ~1000 enemy encounters, but I seem to remember them from last time I played. I honestly feel the maps are better, though the secrets aren't quite as good. And I love the art style.

Yeah, in many respects it's a more "modern" game, but there's a lot of old hate for some of the design changes. I still think it's pretty great too.

Tizoc

This is the lowest Space Quest Collection has been in over a year
At one point it was $5, but non of the Steam sales in the past 2 years had it for any lower than 25%, so may as well grab it now as the chances of it going under 50% are very very slim, regardless of Jase tells you =V

Trying to download Dark Forces which is only like 31mb but Steam keeps stuttering between 99% downloaded and "Download Queued." Anybody ever have this happen to them?

Khronico

Ah, figures. The reason Jedi Knight wasn't running was because I put "-path JKE -windowsgu" in launch options instead of "-path JKE -windowsgui".

Trying to download Dark Forces which is only like 31mb but Steam keeps stuttering between 99% downloaded and "Download Queued." Anybody ever have this happen to them?

Move the numbered folder (that's Dark Forces) from steam's "downloading" folder to "common" folder and rename the numbered folder to "Dark Forces" (assuming what Steam names it as) then have it installed from Steam.

Megasoum

Banned
Looks like the new feature to enable/disable dlc in the beta client is bugging out. I unchecked most of the Sleeping Dog DLC (after the whole game was downloaded) and now it won't let me launch the game before it downloads 4.1gb which is weird by itself... The worst tho is that it's not really downloading. Its pausing and resuming non stop ever 2 sec. A download that should take only a couple of minutes has been going on for almost an hour now.

Dr Dogg

A good read, and long overdue with how much has been added to the game's backstory over the years.

Yeah it's a bit bonkers that TF2 has such an in depth backstory. Love to see some of the design documents behind Left4Dead as some of the themes I've heard kicked around are very interesting.

Dark Forces is great so far, but what idiot worked on Mission IV? Even with peek-a-boo tactics, the Imperial turrets can do massive amounts of damage directly to my health meter, more so than even the Dianogas and Droids in the previous map. Now, Mission III also keeps the player stocked well with medikits and shields in places, not just in secrets; supposing that secrets aren't required to stay alive in the Imperial base (which they shouldn't), there simply aren't enough medikits relative to the quantity and Blood Cultist-tier hitscan rate and accuracy of the turrets. I mean, at least Blood Cultists can permanently stunned with the Tommy gun...these things aren't hard to hit with preparation, but can catch players by surprise, and so I lost two of my extra lives to these things.

I'm certain this is a flaw of the map itself, since good medikit placement should alleviate these troubles. There's this one totally useless little room, with 4 rectangular floors at different elevations, that has nothing and feels like it should contain a cache of medikits for players to ration. Most of the level itself is well-designed, with interesting sector-over-sector ideas, a good amount of challenge, some basic puzzling introduced, &c. But the hitscan-to-medikit ratio is unforgiving, especially if someone wasn't doing a continuous playthrough (speaking of which: how might I do pistol starts in Dark Forces DOS?).

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
So, does anyone know what happened to the Who's Gaming Now Steam group? It seems to have been closed. Did Valve not like them giving out free Steam keys for voting for games on Greenlight?

Pachimari

I have these coupons if anyone wants them:

• Football Manager 2014 (-75%)
  • Grimind (-75%)
  • Toki Tori 2+ (-10%)
  • Toki Tori 2+ (-10%)
  • Pixel Piracy (-25%)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm kind of surprised that nobody has yet uncovered the "secret feature" added to Enhanced Steam yesterday. :)

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I thought OBS was just for streaming. Is there a way to record only? I'd gladly do that.

I gotta record some footage in Unreal Engine 4 in a bit too. Fun project, but time-consuming.

Yep, in "Broadcast settings" just select "File Output Only" to switch it to local record mode.

Takes a bit of finagling to get just right but I can't recommend anything else anymore.

How is "Sir, You are being hunted" ?

Tweed as fuck.

I have to admit I'm a tad disappointed in the lack of depth in a lot of its systems which prevents it from really becoming a great survival type game but the comedy sprinkled throughout helps make it a lot better. I'm actually working on a review covering how far it has come since Alpha to 1.0, will be sure to post that up somewheres once it is done.

Tweed as fuck.

I have to admit I'm a tad disappointed in the lack of depth in a lot of its systems which prevents it from really becoming a great survival type game but the comedy sprinkled throughout helps make it a lot better. I'm actually working on a review covering how far it has come since Alpha to 1.0, will be sure to post that up somewheres once it is done.[/QUOTE]

Is it worth picking up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom