• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Stump is only partially correct about the new secret feature

:)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Don't want to derail the thread too much or be that guy who talks about console games in the PC thread, but... I liked it OK. I don't really like games like God of War, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, MGR:R, or other "character action" games--I generally don't like 3D Beat-em-up combat. So I played Dante's Inferno on the easy difficulty, which is unusual for me. It took me 5:57 give or take to beat the game and I never died in combat (died from platforming issues a few times). I paid $3.75 in Microsoft points for it on sale and had used a scam to get discount Microsoft points so it cost me a hair under $3.

Things I didn't like:
- Forced slow-walking. Several segments of the game, including the last segment before the final boss, have forced slow-walking. There's also parts where you take control of big monsters and walk slowly around. This is a miserable experience. It has never been good in any game, it has never added depth or purpose, it has never provoked an emotional response, it's not mechanically interesting. Stop doing this developers. Let me move at my character's natural speed for the entire course of the game, period. If you're doing it to hide loading, just give me a load screen, it's less frustrating.
I really liked reading your review (as always), but this part resonated with me the most. I haven't played the game, but that was the main reason I couldn't enjoy Binary Domain. I mean, I can switch my brain off during the dreadful dialogue, I can go take a pee during cutscenes, but I can't do anything but press forward during these stupid and annoying sequences. Who the hell thought "This is a fast-paced shooter, so what players need is a section where they walk slowly while an unlikable character tells them stuff they don't care about. Oh, and we should repeat that at least 5 times" was a good idea? It is not.

PRR9vog.png

tQj44v3.png

damn dude. Congrats. How long did that take?

Darkroronoa

So i watched the back to the future trilogy (last time i was a little kid), and it was amazing , and what luck i had the telltale game from humble bundle!
Finished episode 1 and started episode 2, its actually pretty good! Too early but it pretty fun.

I really liked the walking dead and puzzle agent but monkey island and sam and max did not interested me.
What other telltale games should i keep an eye on? Is the wolf among us really that good as they say?

Also i see a jurasic park game that interest me but has low metascore but the steam reviews are positive, any opinion?

Finally picked up KOTOR I and II. I'm devoting the rest of my weekend to playing the first.

Need this like sugar in my veins.

Prepare for awesome if you haven't played them before!

Had a Windows automatic update kill a game of Civ at 3 in the morning. No, warning, no pop-up, game just vanished and I hadn't saved because I didn't know what time it was :(

You should enable autosaves at the end of every turn. I have that enabled so that I can Alt+F4 at any time and never lose more than a few minutes of gameplay.

mrgone

I really liked reading your review (as always), but this part resonated with me the most. I haven't played the game, but that was the main reason I couldn't enjoy Binary Domain. I mean, I can switch my brain off during the dreadful dialogue, I can go take a pee during cutscenes, but I can't do anything but press forward during these stupid and annoying sequences. Who the hell thought "This is a fast-paced shooter, so what players need is a section where they walk slowly while an unlikable character tells them stuff they don't care about. Oh, and we should repeat that at least 5 times" was a good idea? It is not.

A lot of games used it to conceal load times.. which is especially gross when the game's ported to the PC and it should really be skippable with the faster loading, but it's forced anyways for consistency. I still like Binary Domain, but that kind of hubris is annoying.

I love how other games like Dark Souls allow you to literally walk (or run) away if someone's talking too much (though usually the characters and lore in that series are so fascinating it's about the last thing I want to do.) That basic level of respect for the player's time is nice.

donny2112

Star Wars bundle is to celebrate May the Fourth. Was just thinking if Steam would do anything for May the Fourth day, and then this clicked. :lol

Too bad GameCube tech is apparently difficult to function easily on PC to be available on Steam, since Rogue Leader (any of the three) would've been good to have. Miss Factor 5's work. :/ Also EA controlling the new Star Wars games means no LEGO Star Wars Episodes VII-IX. :(

Shade

Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Victoria II -- MB-3FFB71C63965FD45
Empire Total War -- MB-1F324AD8290E547A - Taken by bronson. 14 entrants total.
Napoleon Total War Imperial Edition -- MB-DFD1058B8B1B7E0A - Taken by MikeDip. 17 entrants total.
Metro 2033 -- MB-F450FDC1D3D7C0C2 - Taken by Maddocks. 9 entrants total.
Medieval II Total War Gold Edition -- MB-9C637ADACD3A648E - Taken by doctorcdcs. 15 entrants total.

t1399176445z1.png

NotSelf

ModBot said:
Instructions for NotSelf:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gravi -- MB-9EA383D945995463 - Taken by TuckingFypo. 1 entrants total.
POSTAL -- MB-47609B43AA39490F - Taken by pupo. 1 entrants total.
Truck Racer -- MB-C6BCD1F51A49D832 - Taken by tuseday. 2 entrants total.
Hexcells Plus -- MB-7314CB1453E43B54 - Taken by PandaPedinte. 8 entrants total.

t1399167040z1.png

Can someone be so kind and send me a invite to steam gaf group.

Thanks!

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons. Worth buying/playing? It seems to have some Ico vibes.

This might be too late but if not then I vote no.

I didn't like it. The only aspect I enjoyed was the actual puzzling. I pretty much hated everything else.

That would be:

• the crappy story, clumsily told
  • the crass attempt at feels that just made me want to punch the devs in the face
  • the annoying game characters that I wanted to kill in horrible ways
  • the irritating voice work, STFU!!!
  • the aggravating music

I could probably think of more reasons if I put my mind to it but I'd rather not think about that game anymore, frankly.

If you pick up the game I hope you enjoy it a hell of a lot more than I did!

In comparison to Ico it pales very strongly in comparison, for me.

DocSeuss

OBS does not like me. Gonna use FRAPS since the assignment's due Monday, and it's not intended to be the world's greatest thing, just A-grade in a fairly easy (albeit awesome) class.

Trying to record shooters that don't get a lot of footage, so no Half-Life or anything. Is a fun little analysis of what a shooter is and why they're so smart.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

header_292x136.jpg

Croixleur -- MB-582325616F8B3C26 - Taken by EdmondD. 3 entrants total.

t1399170325z1.png

Have Fun :D

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Does anyone know if Gamefly's Star Wars sale offers Steam codes or not? I can't tell by the product page. There are a number of titles that are the same as Steam and you can use a 20% off coupon.

OBS does not like me. Gonna use FRAPS since the assignment's due Monday, and it's not intended to be the world's greatest thing, just A-grade in a fairly easy (albeit awesome) class.

Trying to record shooters that don't get a lot of footage, so no Half-Life or anything. Is a fun little analysis of what a shooter is and why they're so smart.
Try MSI Afterburner, never had performance issues with it and it's completely free so you won't have watermarks on your footage.

Miguel81

This might be too late but if not then I vote no.

I didn't like it. The only aspect I enjoyed was the actual puzzling. I pretty much hated everything else.

That would be:

• the crappy story, clumsily told
  • the crass attempt at feels that just made me want to punch the devs in the face
  • the annoying game characters that I wanted to kill in horrible ways
  • the irritating voice work, STFU!!!
  • the aggravating music

I could probably think of more reasons if I put my mind to it but I'd rather not think about that game anymore, frankly.

If you pick up the game I hope you enjoy it a hell of a lot more than I did!

In comparison to Ico it pales very strongly in comparison, for me.

It's always good to have a dissenting opinion. Nevertheless, I will have to try for myself.

EdmondD

Have fun with it :)

Thanks again. It's not a fighting game it's like a hack and slash game with rpg elements. I thought it was a dungeon crawler but it seems like you are confined to arenas. Seems pretty cool if you like those type of games. You can do lots of cool combos. The combat system seems solid.

Miguel81

I made an unwise decision in purchasing PoP SOT that comes with Tages. If I uninstall the game, will remnants of that crap remain on my hard drive?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ROCKETSROCKETSROCKETS (early access) is really really cool. I've only played 20 minutes or so so far. Thanks Dupy for randomly gifting it to me.

Basically, you play as a super badass rocket ship. You're super maneuverable. You turn on a dime. You go hella fast. You're in a big arena with sort of different obstacles in the middle and different shaped walls. Smash into walls all you want, they won't hurt you. You can fire sort of machine gun shots, drop gravity bombs, and leave mines behind you. The mines are on a short timer. Hit them before the time goes off and they bounce around with physics. After the timer goes off, they explode in a certain radius. You can also dash and put up a temporary shield. You leave a long contrail. There's another rocket ship. You have to kill each other. You both fly around. It gets crazy busy on screen but you still have great visibility. It's got a great dynamic camera so the closer the rockets are together the more zoomed in the camera, and vice versa--so you're always both on screen.

The game is first to +4. So if you kill someone and they kill you back, it's 0. If you kill them twice and they kill you once, it's +1. If you get +3, a ten second timer counts down--if you're still at the +3 at the end of that, you. If you get to +4, you win immediately.

Right now the game is literally local multiplayer with two people or local multiplayer versus one bot (named Stanley.) It's super early. There's no pause function. If you pause, you go back to the main menu. It will eventually have a single player campaign, training modes, a bunch of local multi options, and online multiplayer. The visuals are super polished, and the game just feels really fun. It really feels like they spent a lot of time nailing moving around and enjoying just shooting the shit out of stuff, and now they're ready to build an actual game around it. The game is $4.99 or $3.75 per for a four-pack.

ySbM8Ef.jpg

You might want to wait a few months until there's more to do, but right now it's still super fun to play around. I'm so glad to see this, Towerfall, Nidhogg, Samurai Gunn, Gentlemen, etc all on Steam. I feel like PC is finally becoming a space where you can sit down on your couch and blow an hour or two doing goof-off local multi stuff! :D

zychi

Banned
What's the current best deal on Dark Souls 2? I promised myself I wouldn't buy it until I finished a few games. Finally did it. I loved DS1 and need some DS2 in my veins this week.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Damn how did you manage that so quickly.

I had already played the PS3 version.

It took about ~95 hours combined to get every achievement.

~50 hours for the initial run on console (didn't care about trophies since I only have 2 PSN friends lol)
~45 hours for getting to NG+++ and doing all the other requisite stuff.

I'd suggest using a guide after doing your first run. There are some missable achievements and some stuff that I would have never figured out on my own (such as
getting the bell covenant to rank 2 for a certain spell and the entire Lucatiel quest line
)

Khronico

Well, Dark Forces II works, but the music isn't there.... Tried googling for an answer, found one that works for everyone except me. No other apparent solution so I guess I'll just deal with it...

In some ways it makes the game unnerving. Total silence except for footsteps punctuated by gunfire, enemy chatter, and explosions.

Li Kao

Just finished the Nightmare in north point DLC for Sleeping Dogs. Yeah a biiiit late, but I don't know, while revisiting a game you loved some months later seems like a good thing, I have the hardest of times doing so. Well let's just say I'm glad I did, that was a good occasion to remember how much I liked the game... And how pointless and half assed the DLC are, unfortunately. I kept the Year of the Serpent DLC for another day, please be a good epilogue.
Man I hope United Front Games will be able to do another open world game.

Prepare for awesome if you haven't played them before!

I just spent the last two hours modding the first game with a bunch of mods from the KOTOR Filefront site - all the restored content mods, additional armors, romance restorations, Enhanced Merchants, feat/force power progression, etc, etc. I'm one of those "one and done" players - I'll load in as much content as I can and play it in one shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom