• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lingitiz

Dark Souls 2 is pretty awesome so far (just got to the Lost Bastille). With all the talk about From's PS4 game, I hope this team still continues to make a Dark Souls 3 or some other PC game. They'd be crazy not to capitalize on the success they've had with these first two.

Dark Souls 2 is pretty awesome so far (just got to the Lost Bastille). With all the talk about From's PS4 game, I hope this team still continues to make a Dark Souls 3 or some other PC game. They'd be crazy not to capitalize on the success they've had with these first two.

There are technically 3 games in the series, as Demon's Souls came first and Dark Souls was mostly a rebranded unofficial sequel because From wanted to go multiplatform and Sony owned the Demon's Souls IP.

Lingitiz

There are technically 3 games in the series, as Demon's Souls came first and Dark Souls was mostly a rebranded unofficial sequel because From wanted to go multiplatform and Sony owned the Demon's Souls IP.

I know that, I've played and beaten Demon's Souls. I'm just saying that Dark Souls has been really successful on PC and has developed a large userbase, even despite the horrific port of the first game.

Just hoping that From continues to make PC games, and that Project Beast is different enough to justify two "Souls" style games going.

Yakkue

Some bundle leftovers.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Syder Arcade -- MB-DEA7341A1A9AD0F6 - Taken by Casimir. 6 entrants total.
Savant -- MB-91A2FF2D0CDBE880
Pressure -- MB-5C9DD709FD4C8C43 - Taken by Jmanunknown. 6 entrants total.
Safecracker: The Ultimate Puzzle Adventure -- MB-E4B9B6FDF4541C43 - Taken by topyy. 5 entrants total.
Bob Came in Pieces -- MB-37C9EF0BEA15BBCB - Taken by TuckingFypo. 2 entrants total.
Bridge Constructor -- MB-5A38BB4A8E671DBA

t1399187428z1.png

I know that, I've played and beaten Demon's Souls. I'm just saying that Dark Souls has been really successful on PC and has developed a large userbase, even despite the horrific port of the first game.

Just hoping that From continues to make PC games, and that Project Beast is different enough to justify two different projects going.

The first port was anything but horrific.
Was it great? Not by any means. But it wasn't horrific either.

And I would think that, contractual platform obligations aside, FROM will continue to develop for PC and bring games our way in the future. At least I should hope they would, especially considering that the new consoles have a very similar architecture (which I'm guessing is why they probably used the x360 version of Dark Souls for the port basis and opted to go with GFWL as well).

Lingitiz

And I would think that, contractual platform obligations aside, FROM will continue to develop for PC and bring games our way in the future. At least I should hope they would, especially considering that the new consoles have a very similar architecture (which I'm guessing is why they probably used the x360 version of Dark Souls for the port basis and opted to go with GFWL as well).

It was definitely horrific. If Durante didn't step in I probably wouldn't have bothered. GFWL, locked at sub HD, 30 FPS. The fact that I'm going to lose my save when they switch it from GFWL alone sucks. Granted, horrific is a hyperbolic term but still, what an absolute shitshow without Durante. Thankfully Dark Souls 2's port is great by any standard. It's really hard to get it to drop below 60.

maneil99

It was horrific, it needs mods to not look, play and run like ass.

It was definitely horrific. If Durante didn't step in I probably wouldn't have bothered. GFWL, locked at sub HD, 30 FPS. The fact that I'm going to lose my save when they switch it from GFWL alone sucks. Granted, horrific is a hyperbolic term but still, what an absolute shitshow without Durante. Thankfully Dark Souls 2's port is great by any standard. It's really hard to get it to drop below 60.

It was horrific, it needs mods to not look, play and run like ass.

(1) PC gamers begged for the port. FROM said "We've never done one, we don't know what we're doing, but we'll try."

(2) Durante's mod fixed the resolution, sure, but it didn't make it "not run like ass." The original game was designed for consoles, just like Demon's Souls. It was not really meant to be played at double speed and thus any complains about it being locked at 30fps are bullshit and easily dismissed.

(3) Not being designed for PC to begin with, much like a lot of other games, asking a developer to go back and redo every single asset to look better at higher resolutions is entirely unrealistic and wouldn't have happened in a million years.

The bottom line is this -- PC gamers wanted the game and they got the game -- as best as FROM could do with the time and budget they were given, based on the original source material designed for consoles. They didn't have to buy an xbox360 or a PS3 to play it and had to rely on a mod to deal with >720p resolution. All this with extra content not found in console versions until long after the release of the game on PC. It's not the most amazing port, but it's defintely adequate and with Durante's DSFix, it's more than that.

how do you buy something when its a f2p weekend? it tells me i already own cod, but i dont.

You wait until Sunday night or Monday morning, I believe. The clock on F2P should be up sometime tomorrow at which time the game will revert to being unowned by you and allowing you to purchase.

Lizardus

Shouldn't you be able to back up your save?

(1) PC gamers begged for the port. FROM said "We've never done one, we don't know what we're doing, but we'll try."

(2) Durante's mod fixed the resolution, sure, but it didn't make it "not run like ass." The original game was designed for consoles, just like Demon's Souls. It was not really meant to be played at double speed and thus any complains about it being locked at 30fps are bullshit and easily dismissed.

(3) Not being designed for PC to begin with, much like a lot of other games, asking a developer to go back and redo every single asset to look better at higher resolutions is entirely unrealistic and wouldn't have happened in a million years.

The bottom line is this -- PC gamers wanted the game and they got the game -- as best as FROM could do with the time and budget they were given, based on the original source material designed for consoles. They didn't have to buy an xbox360 or a PS3 to play it and had to rely on a mod to deal with >720p resolution. All this with extra content not found in console versions until long after the release of the game on PC. It's not the most amazing port, but it's defintely adequate and with Durante's DSFix, it's more than that.

You wait until Sunday night or Monday morning, I believe. The clock on F2P should be up sometime tomorrow at which time the game will revert to being unowned by you and allowing you to purchase.

Thos are all valid points but how does that not make it a horrible port? We all know why it was a bad port.

EdmondD

I never played this myself but it is supposed to be a good, underrated shooter. Enjoy!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

TimeShift -- MB-8C35C69C3BE5CA18 - Taken by dot. 20 entrants total.

t1399188467z1.png

Thos are all valid points but how does that not make it a horrible port? We all know why it was a bad port.

I haven't played DS yet but surely a horrible port would be one that ran worse than the original PS3 release? If it runs as well as the original then it's an adequate port. If it runs better than the original then it's a good port.

No?

Lingitiz

I haven't played DS yet but surely a horrible port would be one that ran worse than the original PS3 release? If it runs as well as the original then it's an adequate port. If it runs better than the original then it's a good port.

No?

That's a pretty low standard considering the console version already had FPS issues in some spots.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
- The writing. You know how sometimes in video games the bad guy goes on a big speech where he's like "What if I'm not a bad guy? What if taking over the world and enslaving people is good and YOU'RE the bad guy because you're trying to stop me? Also you killed my henchmen. So deal with that, bad guy". Okay, well, the Devil does this to you. The Devil. Literally evil incarnate. Tells you what if you're worse than he is. He also yells "NOOOOOO" as he dies. Every original line written for the game is basically poorly written.

This is literally every AssCreed villain. Well, that or "We're not so different, you and I."

EdmondD

Glad to hear it's a good game. I will definitely check it out some day. It's been on my radar for a long time. One of those gems that gets lost in the shuffle.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Will Battlefront 2 be completely unplayable after GameSpy goes down?
I sure hope not! Today I played it with a friend and we had a blast.

On another (Star Wars related) note, I managed to make Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith play their respective soundtracks in-game. I used this guide along with this one, but if anyone wants to do it and still has any doubts, feel free to ask me :)

I'm gonna try the same with Quake whenever I feel like it, because apparently it works for that game too (in fact, the second guide is based on another originally made for Quake)

Because if it were a horrible port, it would be worse than what it was ported from. Unmodded Dark Souls is at worst in parity with the console releases; as a port there's nothing wrong with it, albeit not ideal as a PC release.

Ho ho ho.

That's a pretty low standard considering the console version already had FPS issues in some spots.

It's not a question of standards, it's a question of living in the real world.

Because if it were a horrible port, it would be worse than what it was ported from. Unmodded Dark Souls is at worst in parity with the console releases; as a port there's nothing wrong with it, albeit not ideal as a PC release.

Boom!

Lingitiz

Ho ho ho.

It's not a question of standards, it's a question of living in the real world.

I just can't agree with that. Sure it would be acceptable if it were being ported over from current generation consoles, or if it were the start of the last generation where PC ports didn't have any real expectations attached to them.

But in 2012, being on par with extremely dated consoles, while also adding garbage like GFWL doesn't at all constitute an adequate port in my mind.

Despite all of that I would still argue that the vanilla DS PC port itself was actually worse than the console versions due to the inclusion GFWL. Multiplayer is a mess since there's no Steamworks too. I don't think I've actually invaded or Coop'ed with anyone in all my time with the first game, yet I've already done son in DS2.

I don't really want to get into an argument about semantics. At the end of the day, the finished product in comparison to the larger slate of PC games lacked basic features that are pretty much standard with most AAA PC games. The port was bad in my mind and unacceptable, however the bright side is thanks to the very fact that it even made it to PC in the first place, great people like Durante could step in and clean things up.

No. You're moving the goalposts.

"Hey developer who never had any intention of bringing your game to PC as a platform -- please please please bring it to us, we'll all buy it... but you have to make sure it has everything I demand from games original made for PC including HD 1080p or better textures and artwork, 60fps, steamworks integration, etc."

That doesn't work. PC gamers wanted a port of the console game. And they got that and more. Does it suck that you couldn't change the resolution? Sure. But I don't think the fact that they didn't go back and retool everything for PC as if it had been a target platform all along makes it a horrible port. If it ran as bad as the x360 version did, crashed all the time, had game breaking bugs that weren't patched out, etc... then sure, it's a horrible port. But faulting it so badly for a few shortcomings that were understandably present in the game? As the Lingitiz said himself, it's a bit of a hyperbole. :)

No?

I don't know that it's a good port, but as someone said in earlier discussions of the topic in SteamGAF (Dr. Dogg, perhaps?) -- in its default state, it's adequate for sure.
At least that's the opinion I agree with.

I just can't agree with that. Sure it would be acceptable if it were being ported over from current generation consoles, or if it were the start of the last generation where PC ports didn't have any real expectations attached to them.

But in 2012, being on par with extremely dated consoles, while also adding garbage like GFWL doesn't at all constitute an adequate port in my mind.

Despite all of that I would still argue that the vanilla DS PC port itself was actually worse than the console versions due to the inclusion GFWL.

As much as I loathe the inclusion of GFWL as well (and hope they do convert to Steamworks sooner rather than never), it's still better than the console version in every way. No or almost no framerate dive in Blighttown and other areas, extra content... ok, sure, sign me up. Considering the fact that the project probably had limited staffing and a small budget overall, using the GFWL APIs for their online code was probably minimal overhead if porting from the x360 version... where as learning the Steamworks APIs and converting probably cost them time/money/testing/etc. that they did not have the budget for.

At the end of it all, should they remove GFWL, I will go back to it shortly after and playthrough again to experience the new content that I never go tthe chance to and I'm sure I will have a righteous time doing so.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, Dark Forces II works, but the music isn't there.... Tried googling for an answer, found one that works for everyone except me. No other apparent solution so I guess I'll just deal with it...

In some ways it makes the game unnerving. Total silence except for footsteps punctuated by gunfire, enemy chatter, and explosions.
Want me to post here with a detailed explanation of how I got it working? If not, feel free to PM me with the steps you took, so I can compare them with what I did to see if we can fix it.

Not necessarily. If the original version ran like crap, the port could be 100% faithful and still be a terrible port.

"Hey developer who never had any intention of bringing your game to PC as a platform -- please please please bring it to us, we'll all buy it... but you have to make sure it has everything I demand from games original made for PC including HD 1080p or better textures and artwork, 60fps, steamworks integration, etc."

That doesn't work. PC gamers wanted a port of the console game. And they got that and more. Does it suck that you couldn't change the resolution? Sure. But I don't think the fact that they didn't go back and retool everything for PC as if it had been a target platform all along makes it a horrible port. If it ran as bad as the x360 version did, crashed all the time, had game breaking bugs that weren't patched out, etc... then sure, it's a horrible port. But faulting it so badly for a few shortcomings that were understandably present in the game? As the Lingitiz said himself, it's a bit of a hyperbole. :)

I don't know that it's a good port, but as someone said in earlier discussions of the topic in SteamGAF (Dr. Dogg, perhaps?) -- in its default state, it's adequate for sure.
I don't recall anyone asking for better textures. The fact that it locked the rendering resolution to 720p, when most 3D games released on PC in the past 5 years allowed the user to render at 1080p or more, already makes it a subpar port. It matters not if From had a lot of experience with PC ports or not. Their skills (or lack thereof) aren't what's being discussed here, it's the quality of the port itself. And having a locked rendering resolution puts it pretty low in my book. Not as low as ports that crash all the time, mind you, but it's still not good.

Not necessarily. If the original version ran like crap, the port could be 100% faithful and still be a terrible port.
I don't think the port needs to be blamed for a game that had problems in the first place. The way I see it, a bad port is making the game worse than its original version, a fine port brings it as-is, a good port makes it better where applicable. Now whether or not what I defined as a fine port should be considered fine as a PC release is another thing entirely.

Decided to listen to the advice here and picked up Jedi Outcast and KOTOR 1/2 as well. And what do you know? First mission into Outcast and I'm already enjoying it more than Academy. I like how you start off right into the action, unlike Academy's boring training tutorials.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
This is literally every AssCreed villain. Well, that or "We're not so different, you and I."

Well, there was that one guy in AssCreed III and the comics that was a villain because he was mentally unstable due to hallucinations and brain washing. I can't even remember the guy's name, a lot of the characters in AssCreed are so forgettable other than main characters :/

maneil99

As much as I loathe the inclusion of GFWL as well (and hope they do convert to Steamworks sooner rather than never), it's still better than the console version in every way. No or almost no framerate dive in Blighttown and other areas, extra content... ok, sure, sign me up. Considering the fact that the project probably had limited staffing and a small budget overall, using the GFWL APIs for their online code was probably minimal overhead if porting from the x360 version... where as learning the Steamworks APIs and converting probably cost them time/money/testing/etc. that they did not have the budget for.

At the end of it all, should they remove GFWL, I will go back to it shortly after and playthrough again to experience the new content that I never go tthe chance to and I'm sure I will have a righteous time doing so.
You are moving goalposts, its a shit port, not matter the developers excuse, it needed mods to actually run in HD. It was locked at 30 fps. It still needs a 360 controller to play well. NFS Rivals gets called a shit port for fps cap as does LA Noire. And I cant even think of another game that has come out in the last 5 years that doesn't render internally over 720p on PC

Cth

Anyone played Day One Garry's Incident?

I thought I added it to my wishlist at one point, but apparently not. It's currently 90% off ($2) and has trading cards ($.15 avg)

neoemonk

Tried to fire up Psychonauts on Windows 8.1 tonight but it crashed when I tried to load my save file. I guess I'll start jumping through hoops in the morning. Too late tonight.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone played Day One Garry's Incident?

I thought I added it to my wishlist at one point, but apparently not. It's currently 90% off ($2) and has trading cards ($.15 avg)

Don't buy it, it's shit. Plus there's been way too much controversy surrounding it. Really, look all of it up, or just go to Wikipedia.

Lingitiz

This seems to have turned into a weird argument about semantics. When I say "port" I probably should more accurately use "PC Version".

Whatever the circumstances, I just think the state it was released in was unacceptable in comparison to the overall state of AAA games on PC these days. I'm totally sympathetic to From Software and the time and budget they likely had to get it done, but I still can't deny that it was a poor PC version that didn't even live up to the most basic of standards for PC games. It was representative of almost everything PC gamers fear a port to have: GWFL (leading to rampant cheating and making it difficult to play online), locked frame rate and resolution, and bad mouse and keyboard support.

And despite all of that it's still a fucking incredible game. So glad to have the series on PC.

Despite all of that I would still argue that the vanilla DS PC port itself was actually worse than the console versions due to the inclusion GFWL. Multiplayer is a mess since there's no Steamworks too. I don't think I've actually invaded or Coop'ed with anyone in all my time with the first game, yet I've already done son in DS2.

I don't really want to get into an argument about semantics. At the end of the day, the finished product in comparison to the larger slate of PC games lacked basic features that are pretty much standard with most AAA PC games. The port was bad in my mind and unacceptable, however the bright side is thanks to the very fact that it even made it to PC in the first place, great people like Durante could step in and clean things up.

You have a very good point about the addition of GFWL making it an inferior release of the game; I had forgotten about its inclusion.

You hit the nail on the head about semantics though. Re-reading this whole conversation it seems to me that the participants are coming to if from different perspectives of what a port is and/or what it should be. For me, a port is simply moving a game that worked on machine a to machine b so it's there as well. So my comments have been framed from there.

Cth

Thanks guys!

I'm thinking I had it on my list and removed it once I read that info.. I guess I forgot about that stuff :D

JaseC

Well, there was that one guy in AssCreed III and the comics that was a villain because he was mentally unstable due to hallucinations and brain washing. I can't even remember the guy's name, a lot of the characters in AssCreed are so forgettable other than main characters :/

That doesn't ring a bell, but it has been about a year since I've played the game.

I'm gonna take a guess without googling, is it Sebastian?

Edit: Daniel Cross :p

Milamber

Ooh, I passed him like last week. Completely forgettable and easily overcome. Barely a threat too. Daniel Cross I think.

EDIT: Atraveller!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
That doesn't ring a bell, but it has been about a year since I've played the game.

I'm gonna take a guess without googling, is it Sebastian?

Edit: Daniel Cross :p

Ooh, I passed him like last week. Completely forgettable and easily overcome. Barely a threat too. Daniel Cross I think.

EDIT: Atraveller!

After Googling and looking at the Asscreed wiki, I found the character I was thinking of, Daniel Cross.

Edit: Asscreed really needs better characters.

Grief.exe

You won't lose your save, keep a back up. Worst case, someone will come up with a hex editor to force compatibility.

Names I remember on top of my mind, Desmond, Lucy, Rebecca, Shawn, Ezio, Atlair, the Bragia family, Leonardo Da Vinci, that's it.

Edit: Kenways, and done.

This seems to have turned into a weird argument about semantics. When I say "port" I probably should more accurately use "PC Version".

Whatever the circumstances, I just think the state it was released in was unacceptable in comparison to the overall state of AAA games on PC these days. I'm totally sympathetic to From Software and the time and budget they likely had to get it done, but I still can't deny that it was a poor PC version that didn't even live up to the most basic of standards for PC games. It was representative of almost everything PC gamers fear a port to have: GWFL (leading to rampant cheating and making it difficult to play online), locked frame rate and resolution, and bad mouse and keyboard support.

And despite all of that it's still a fucking incredible game. So glad to have the series on PC.

I think we are essentially in agreement now.

Judged as a port then it is an adequate one as it runs as well as the console original. It is arguably inferior due to the inclusion of GFWL though but has the advantage that it does not require the additional purchase of the console to play it on [console hardware being a form of DRM].

However, judged as a pc game release it falls down pretty hard and is deserving of the criticism.

Good, time for me to play a game.

Be nice to each other boys and girls!

JaseC

After Googling and looking at the Asscreed wiki, I found the character I was thinking of, Daniel Cross.

Edit: Asscreed really needs better characters.

He was awful at his job.

Frustrated at Abstergo losing Desmond Miles, Daniel was able to track Desmond and his cell to New York. When Desmond attempted to steal a First Civilization battery from an office in Manhattan, Daniel cornered him at gunpoint. However, Desmond easily disarmed Daniel, and knocked him out with the battery before escaping.

Some time later, Daniel tracked Desmond to a martial arts tournament in Brazil, where a woman held another battery that Desmond needed. Daniel reached the woman first, and shot both her and her husband to death as Desmond arrived. Daniel attempted to flee with the battery, but was caught by Desmond, who once again knocked him out in a fight and escaped with the battery.

Milamber

Blah Blah Blah Blah, get in the Animus.

Blah Blah Blah Blah, get me 5 sticks.

Blah Blah Blah Blah, exposition!

Blah Blah Blah Blah, get in the Animus.

etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom