• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milamber

He was awful at his job.
Frustrated at Abstergo losing Desmond Miles, Daniel was able to track Desmond and his cell to New York. When Desmond attempted to steal a First Civilization battery from an office in Manhattan, Daniel cornered him at gunpoint. However, Desmond easily disarmed Daniel, and knocked him out with the battery before escaping.

Some time later, Daniel tracked Desmond to a martial arts tournament in Brazil, where a woman held another battery that Desmond needed. Daniel reached the woman first, and shot both her and her husband to death as Desmond arrived. Daniel attempted to flee with the battery, but was caught by Desmond, who once again knocked him out in a fight and escaped with the battery.
That battery thing at Brazil. I'm pretty sure they said that woman was using it as a bracelet. That huge square block... as a bracelet.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Names I remember on top of my mind, Desmond, Lucy, Rebecca, Shawn, Ezio, Atlair, the Bragia family, Leonardo Da Vinci, that's it.

I just looked up the villains for the series and I can't remember any of them other than Vidic. The historical characters like Washington really shouldn't count.

Other than the ones you mentioned, I can think of Aveline, Clay/Subject 17?, Conner, Juno, Haytham,

Yeah that's it. I can only describe the other ones, like Desmond's dad, or Haytham's pirate dad or cool old guy from III.

He was awful at his job.

That describes almost every Templar you meet in the games.

da vinci should've been the main character in ass creed

His relationship with Ezio was beautiful. The brohood dlc was a wonderful send off.
That's gives me a wonderful idea of freshening up the series. Play as a character that's not an assassin or with assassin skills, but you still help them to fight the good fight. Like playing as Da Vinci himself and go on an adventure to find and uncover lost Assassin knowledge, Indiana Jones style.

Milamber

That's gives me a wonderful idea of freshening up the series. Play as a character that's not an assassin or with assassin skills, but you still help them to fight the good fight. Like playing as Da Vinci himself and go on an adventure to find and uncover lost Assassin knowledge, Indian Jones style.

Watch_Dogs

BELIEVE!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
There's going to be an easter egg that references the Templars somewhere in Watch_dogs. And they'll dismiss it as just a little easter egg that is in no way related to the plot of the game.

But then in AssCreed VII it's revealed that Aiden is put into an advanced animus and that he's from the future, and all five Watch_dogs games have been advanced simulations of memories.

Hey guys, how do you savegame in DS2? I don't wanna loose my progress when I quit, does it autosave?
Souls games don't feature manual saving but it autosaves frequently (indicated by the flame on the top right corner) and they save the instant you quit to the main menu as well. Even if you do lose progress by not hitting a save interval due to a power outage or something you lose a minute at most.

Relax.MX

I'm new in the playfire beta, they just started some new rewards for Darksiders 2, I finished this game a while ago, I guess several achievements are already done(20hrs with 32/50 achivements)​​. I need to reinstall it?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
R* finally responded to my ticket about receiving a Steam key for Wild Metal Country. I'd forgotten all about it. Apparently the person assigned to my ticket didn't read my message at all and just copied/pasted a bunch of ownership and issue verification steps from a Civ V FAQ, but at least R* is willing to help out people with key problems, unlike Sega.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
What if the crazy first civilization goddess has already conquered Earth, and everyone in WD are just in a new matrix?

The new Matrix trilogy to be a crossover with Ubisoft confirmed. Every Ubi franchise will be represented over the course of the three films and dozens of spinoff games, including Asscreed, Splinter Cell, Rayman, Anno, and Prince of Persia.

In other news, I may have found the best use of the $100 fee to submit to Greenlight yet.

This is gonna be terribad - I can already feel myself cringing.

I can understand getting this game as a cheap +1 since it's in a bundle. But why are you playing it? No one should suffer like this.

didamangi

Nope. The game saves constantly, you can quit at any time.

Just select quit game from the menu, I alt F4 as soon as the title screen appears.

I just stand still for a moment wherever I am and Alt+F4 from the game, it saves than instantly quit to the desktop. Works just fine and a bit faster rather having to quit to the menu.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
umKuWoj.png

This is gonna be terribad - I can already feel myself cringing.

Card Boy

Banned
I spent like 15 minutes trying to get Hector Badge of Carnage to launch. It turns out the game doesn't run if you have the official 360 pad plugged. Telltale are a joke.

Just select quit game from the menu, I alt F4 as soon as the title screen appears.
This has always been one of my favourite thing about the Souls games, I got really far into a section once and I was just a few steps away from a bonfire and my power went out, I thought I'd have to replay all of the gameplay but nope, reloaded right next to where I was before, so awesome.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I spent like 15 minutes trying to get Hector Badge of Carnage to launch. It turns out the game doesn't run if you have the official 360 pad plugged. Telltale are a joke.

There are still people who defend Telltale's terrible post-release support because "they're a small studio". Telltale has had a headcount above 70 since 2009, a figure that has risen close to 200 (or to put it another way, Telltale is now roughly half the size of Valve). There's no excusing the existence of such ridiculous bugs.

Anteater

This has always been one of my favourite thing about the Souls games, I got really far into a section once and I was just a few steps away from a bonfire and my power went out, I thought I'd have to replay all of the gameplay but nope, reloaded right next to where I was before, so awesome.

yeah, I wish every game is like that, much better than "save anywhere", you can still have checkpoints on top of it but you should be able to quit anytime without losing progress.

jediyoshi

Does it give an actual indication to those specific points though? Bonfires are the only 1:1 assurance I get a save is insured

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm looking forward to your review. :D

Not much to say really, besides the game is VERY short. Took me about an hour to complete, earning 100% of the achievements. I played through the entire game and didn't even earn all of the Steam Trading Card drops. I guess that explains why it's "Episode 1", because the story was really just getting started when the game ended rather abruptly.

The game is about as bad as I expected, which is to say, quite bad. While it's obvious that the game is trying to be a clone of Uncharted, it's more like the PS1 era Tomb Raider games
and not the good ones

Platforming was terrible, bugs everywhere, bad voice acting, not a lot of polish anywhere. The game, regardless of the fact that it's just "Episode 1", felt really unfinished. I'm not even sure if it was worth downloading the 8GB - most of which I'm sure is the voice acting that's included in about 20 languages.

I guess it was a cool way to spend an hour and earning another 100%, and I'll probably play Episode 2 if it ever gets released if it's equally as short and easy, but this is definitely not AAA gaming. Not even B gaming.

Milamber

Not much to say really, besides the game is VERY short. Took me about an hour to complete, earning 100% of the achievements. I played through the entire game and didn't even earn all of the Steam Trading Card drops. I guess that explains why it's "Episode 1", because the story was really just getting started when the game ended rather abruptly.

The game is about as bad as I expected, which is to say, quite bad. While it's obvious that the game is trying to be a clone of Uncharted, it's more like the PS1 era Tomb Raider games
and not the good ones

Platforming was terrible, bugs everywhere, bad voice acting, not a lot of polish anywhere. The game, regardless of the fact that it's just "Episode 1", felt really unfinished. I'm not even sure if it was worth downloading the 8GB - most of which I'm sure is the voice acting that's included in about 20 languages.

I guess it was a cool way to spend an hour and earning another 100%, and I'll probably play Episode 2 if it ever gets released if it's equally as short and easy, but this is definitely not AAA gaming. Not even B gaming.

Perfect for a Playfire reward then.

Caerith

There are still people who defend Telltale's terrible post-release support because "they're a small studio". Telltale has had a headcount above 70 since 2009, a figure that has risen close to 200 (or to put it another way, Telltale is now roughly half the size of Valve). There's no excusing the existence of such ridiculous bugs.

The way Telltale's been lately-- not just refusing to address technical issues like the game not recognizing your choices, but the way they're now tying achievements to player choices to encourage either following a walkthrough or playing each chapter multiple times-- makes me glad that their upcoming games are based on boring IPs.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So I was making a post on annoying characters, and I was mentioning Josh from Silent Hill Homecoming, but this inspired me to make a Steam review for it, so here it is.

header_292x136.jpg

A bit of a warning, this will be my rantiest review I think I've ever done.

Let me start off by politely, and courteously, taking a moment to ask why, out of every Silent Hill game, is this the only one on Steam? Now don't get me wrong, I'll get to Homecoming in a moment, but as most other entries in the series had PC ports, why. biased Konami, is this the only one Steam gets?

With that out of the way, Silent Hill Homecoming is the sixth main entry in the SH series, a psychological survival-horror series that has come to be known best for its atmosphere, story, surrealism, and creepy monster designs.

Silent Hill Homecoming came out on the heels of the Silent Hill film, and it shows. Several monster designs and much of the visual look of the game can be attributed to the film. Most notably, the game has some impressive Otherworld transition sequences inspired by the movies. They look cool, and sound cool, so they get the job done there.

And that's something to be said for Homecoming. It's not a terrible looking game, the designs of the characters and monsters at least look cool, the environments look appropriately ominous, and the fog effects, while a bit sparser than other entries in the series, are still rather well-handled.

However, the film inspiration becomes a bit much in areas. This was the game that shoe-horned Pyramid Head in for no reason, and I literally mean no reason. Oh, he appears in cutscenes, but not a single time in gameplay. Not once. And that's not even arguing how he has no reason to be here. Both in the fact he literally does nothing in the story and it goes against on what Pyramid Head was in SH2. And then there's scenes that were so obviously inspired by the movie, and enemies inspired by the movie. It essentially is an extension to the Silent Hill movie in game form, honestly.

0000005513.600x338.jpg

But so much goes against what SH series is. I was literally in hysterics during a scene almost half-way in the game when suddenly you get a sassy black sidekick comic relief character and escape a police station being invaded Dawn of the Dead style by giant hammerhead land-shark monsters. Don't get me wrong, this is brilliant B-Movie hamminess, but what the fuck is it doing in the fucking Silent Hill series?

And that's what I think one of Homecoming's biggest problems is. It doesn't know what the SH series is. I am convinced the creators just watched the SH movie and made the game based off of that. There's no other explanation for it. Homecoming must of at one point in development been a video game adaption of the movie, because it has so much in common with the film; the nurses work just like they do in the film, so does the cult, and the aesthetics... But it's almost nothing like how the rest of the series is.

But let's get off our fixations of its identity crisis and focus more on the game as its own experience.

Silent Hill Homecoming tells the story of a man named Alex Sheppard who's returning from the military to visit his home in Sheppard's Glen (of course conveniently named after his family). He's been gone for a long time and finds that his hometown has completely changed. There's a few people still living in town, but the place is mostly deserted. Alex comes home to find his brother and father are missing, and his mom seems completely out of it with a pistol on her lap. Alex goes to investigate what exactly has happened to his family, and to this town, and what sort of connection it has with the nearby local resort town of Silent Hill.

To the story's credit, I did end up liking a few of the characters, most notably Alex, who did end up earning some sympathy from me through his journey. And Wheeler, your sassy black comedy relief character, was enjoyable, though so out of place. Most everyone else was forgettable, however. The plot twists unfortunately are mostly super predictable, the worst of all being the 'main' twist, and while I don't want to spoil the game, towards the end we get into some ludicrous Saw-inspired segments that just feel completely out of left field and unneeded. Homecoming also holds my personal honor for having the worst multiple endings I have ever experienced in a horror game. I'm not kidding, they are that bad.

0000005515.600x338.jpg

The game has a few puzzles, and by puzzles I mean over half of them are sliding tile puzzles or this puzzle about crossing wires. Whoever the fuck at Double Helix though that making most of the puzzles in the game fucking sliding puzzles really deserves a solid kick in the ass.

The game is also overly focused on combat. The combat to be fair isn't bad, with a very Zelda-esque system, being able to lock-onto enemies and circle and roll-dodge from them, but the weapons are notably unbalanced with some being far better than others. Also while technically the 'best' combat system in the series (and they try to rationalize it with the fact Alex is an ex-soldier), the series was never really about the combat, making it feel like the developers missed the point.

Also the PC port is a hit or miss based on your system. It either works perfectly fine, or it doesn't. Fans have made a lot of work-arounds for problems in the game, but it has had absolutely no official support. It was basically released on Steam, and left to die there.

This so far makes it sound like I hate Homecoming, but in earnest I didn't.

0000005516.600x338.jpg

Homecoming has so much wrong with it, as a Silent Hill game, as a horror game, and as an action game, that it's easy to mention, but it's actually not a terrible game, and has several quite good moments and actually is an okay to good game, though I'd argue one of the weakest in its series.

Homecoming has some decent moments. Exploring the house is both interesting and a bit haunting. Going into the basement the first time is a bit unnerving. A few of the boss fights, especially the second one, are actually well-done. The game isn't too repetitive and does have moments that split away from just combat or just exploration. Speaking of that, there's a decent exploration element in this game that often is a bit rewarding for little extra tidbits, imagery, and sometimes goodies and hidden weapons. The game has some fun unlockable costumes and weapons.

The story is enjoyable in a B-fare kind of way, and is backed by good music and sound design. While not Akira's best work, the music still holds up well for the title. There are small touches to the game too and details that are appreciated, including each grave stone in the graveyard having a different description on them (and there are many), some small scares that the player may miss if they aren't observant or don't explore a bit. The atmosphere is okay, though the game really isn't scary.

But I didn't hate my time with it, in fact, I would say I enjoyed myself playing it. It's got so many flaws and they're so easy to point out, but despite it all there is an enjoyable game in here. It honestly probably would of been better if it was Silent Hill The Movie: The Game though, as it really does things that just doesn't sit right as a fan of the series. But in its own way, it's an enjoyable B-Movie sort of horror game that has dips into legitimately good moments and ideas.

If you go in expecting some B-Horror fun, as opposed to a Silent Hill game, it's a pretty okay to good game in its own right, just has some flaws, but I wouldn't say the flaws ruins the game and there is some fun and interesting sections to be had as the game goes on. If you go to it for a Silent Hill fix, however, I think you'll be bitterly disappointed. A misguided, but ultimately pretty okay game, that could of been a good game if it wasn't bogged down by a few problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom