• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice write-up on homecoming.

I would have to say I agree with your conclusions. It has a lot of problems, but for some reason I still found myself enjoying it. Far more than downpour anyway and it was at least more memorable/moving than origins.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
i actually enjoyed homecoming more than i probably should

it was just cool to explore silent hill in hi-res

I enjoyed it too, it's weird for me as I know its problems and some of them really frustrate me but I actually had a decent amount of fun playing it. And it really does have an interesting visual look, inspired by the movie or not it has some good art design.

Nice write-up on homecoming.

I would have to say I agree with your conclusions. It has a lot of problems, but for some reason I still found myself enjoying it. Far more than downpour anyway and it was at least more memorable/moving than origins.

While on a personal level I enjoyed Downpour more, I think Homecoming does also do good things with the bad, and I think a lot of its problems may be overlooked if you're not super invested in the series. It's a pretty okay to good game in its own right, and I would say about half of its problems come from the fact that its a Silent Hill game. The other half are just problems the game has though, like those fucking sliding puzzles and predictable plot twists.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Maybe it will be today's daily deal

For some bizarre reason it's been close to a year since the games have been discounted at all. Apparently they don't exist as far as the skeleton crew members at LA are concerned. :p

I enjoyed it too, it's weird for me as I know its problems and some of them really frustrate me but I actually had a decent amount of fun playing it. And it really does have an interesting visual look, inspired by the movie or not it has some good art design.

While on a personal level I enjoyed Downpour more, I think Homecoming does also do good things with the bad, and I think a lot of its problems may be overlooked if you're not super invested in the series. It's a pretty okay to good game in its own right, and I would say about half of its problems come from the fact that its a Silent Hill game. The other half are just problems the game has though, like those fucking sliding puzzles and predictable plot twists.

I think fundamentally, homecoming tried to be a silent hill game and failed. On the other hand, Downpour didn't try to be a silent hill game and also didn't succeed. So I take the later as the greater sin.

Having said that, a lot of the issues I had with Downpour were of a technical nature. So in that respect it is perhaps the bigger shame (it could have been good if they had just made it work).

Mikaju

I got tired of waiting and just bought Lego Star Wars and Lego Indys from traders. So probably they are on sale tonight.

Dr Dogg

Just been checking Steamcharts and in the trending section is quite a few Star Wars games. Looking at them most if not all of them are having there all time peak this weekend too. Maybe the House of Mouse might get the message.

Then you'd need someone to Watch Dogg.
instantrimshot
also sorry :'(

Hahaha. No, no, no to do it justice you at least need some ASCII sunglasses. Here let me demonstrate.

"But Milamber you know that Watch_Dogs is just going to be modern day Assassin's Creed"
Then I guess...
(•_•) ...this dog
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)...has had it's day
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH

Dusk Golem

I think fundamentally, homecoming tried to be a silent hill game and failed. On the other hand, Downpour didn't try to be a silent hill game and also didn't succeed. So I take the later as the greater sin.

Having said that, a lot of the issues I had with Downpour were of a technical nature. So in that respect it is perhaps the bigger shame (it could have been good if they had just made it work).

(This next post is a bit off-topic as it's not on Steam, but just a personal comparison by me).

Technical problems are definitely one of the more major flaws the game has, and while a few were fixed by a post-game patch released a year later, it still has issues. And other issues, with the mostly boring monsters and the fact it does in many ways not feel like a Silent Hill game. The developers of Downpour were talking a lot before release about how each SH game is different, and while this is true, they ended up making something that only vaguely resembles SH. It's true, and even resembles the series less than, say, SH4 does.

But I actually liked Downpour a fair amount. I feel it was probably the truest modern take on an old-school styled survival-horror game. I'd also argue it was closer mechanically to the series than Homecoming is, though to explain that would be a bit hard on my part. Homecoming looks like a SH game, but doesn't really feel like one. Downpour feels like a SH game, but doesn't really look like one. If that makes any sense. Though I do think if Downpour was called something else, most wouldn't put it together to be a Silent Hill game is something I'd agree with.

But then Downpour actually did a lot right in my eyes. It, like Homecoming, does much obviously wrong, but I feel Downpour has the stronger elements, for at least me myself. It has a rather well-done exploration element that extends to levels as well as the overworld, with lots of extra areas to explore. The overworld is fun to explore, and while the side-quests are sometimes cheesy, they are mostly enjoyable and actually part of the highlight of the game for me, and I like how they're handled. The atmosphere in the game I felt was much stronger than Homecoming's, and there were a few moments I got legitimately scared or unnerved (though lighter than previous titles for certain). Combat didn't bother me as it did some (I actually am fairly decent at it and never understood frustration complaints, on-top of the fact evading enemies is pretty simple),on-top of the fact I feel Downpour has a much better and enjoyable puzzle element than Origins, Shattered Memories, and Homecoming combined.

The game has stupid moments. The rollercoaster sequence is super cheesy, the clock tower scene is laughable. The boss fights (especially the first one) needed better explaining of what to do. The story is okay, but not great. Otherworld sequences were mostly wasted opportunities. Audio works for the game but doesn't contain songs I'd listen to outside of the series like I'd do with Akira's work. It also makes some really stupid design decisions with its final area, especially with the elevator section.

But then I had fun stumbling on old ominous buildings and putting together some story and mystery to the place. Walking around in dark mines, or a basement, or whatever with just a lighter was unnerving for me. It felt great to have to use my brain again in a horror game for some of the puzzles in the game (went for hard puzzle difficulty on my first playthrough), and I legitimately enjoyed several moments from the game, with my favorite parts being in the sidequests and Monastery.

It has flaws, but I wish we had more games like it these days. It had a lot of low-budget, high ambition charm to it. But it sold like shit and was received rather harshly by critics and gamers alike so I guess not.

Robot Pants

Steam wont let me add money to my steam wallet right now. Says try again in a minute or contact support.
Then support says it has a high number of tickets at the moment.
Anyone else getting this? Because I was just adding money fine a minute ago and then it all of a sudden stopped.

Edit: oh i guess I'm in cooldown cause I did too much too often. Yikes.

Are there any Russians here that can help me get the Call of Duty War Chest? I asked in the Equal Global Distribution and Buy/Sell threads to no avail.

Dr Dogg

Well seeing as it's Star Wars day and I've just bought all of the remaining games on Steam I didn't own already I though I may as well see what The Force Unleashed looks like on PC and maybe sprinkle a little Durante magic on it. I mean why not, I didn't mind it as much as others and I can blast through the story in 6-8 hours plus I've not played the Hoth content yet.

Sadly to my horror I'm greeted by a 30gb install! How big are these prerendered cutscenes going to be to be 30gb? Sorry TFU another day prehaps.

JaseC

Well seeing as it's Star Wars day and I've just bought all of the remaining games on Steam I didn't own already I though I may as well see what The Force Unleashed looks like on PC and maybe sprinkle a little Durante magic on it. I mean why not, I didn't mind it as much as others and I can blast through the story in 6-8 hours plus I've not played the Hoth content yet.

Sadly to my horror I'm greeted by a 30gb install! How big are these prerendered cutscenes going to be to be 30gb? Sorry TFU another day prehaps.

It's not cutscenes but uncompressed audio.

So I was making a post on annoying characters, and I was mentioning Josh from Silent Hill Homecoming, but this inspired me to make a Steam review for it, so here it is.

header_292x136.jpg

Still hoping to snag Homecoming from somewhere for less than 3 bucks.

Dr Dogg

It's not cutscenes but uncompressed audio.

Yeah I just thought that, and in a few languages as well probably. Says it all when I can click install on Dark Forces, pop out to the garage and be ready to boot it up by the time I get back. Yeah alright it sure isn't as fancy but should scratch the itch for today.

def sim

Thanks for the homecoming review, golem. It's good to read a more nuanced opinion of middling, or maybe less so, games.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
wow, away for a week and there's a whole new thread! hey everyone :) how are you?

did I miss important news?

Someone mod botted a Moto X phone and the NOLF games might finally be seeing a digital re-release.

There's a terrible Activision sale going on, and a slightly less terrible Star Wars sale too.

extra

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Postal -- MB-DFEF052C510AC265 - Taken by Man Puncher

def sim

LA Noire on sale again so I can finally pick up the rest of the DLC. I stopped my playthrough earlier last week because a conversation in game was about a case I did not have and it bothered me quite a bit. It's poor form to leave that in there.

wow, away for a week and there's a whole new thread! hey everyone :) how are you?

did I miss important news?

We're doing monthly threads now, so it's no longer about getting to page 200/400. We still reached that point before the end of the month, though.

Also, I'm doing great, thanks for asking. :D

topyy

all the buyers of Lazy Guys Studio 'Night Sky' Bundle. You can get your free Evopollution Steam key right now!
1. Open this link http://bit.ly/lgbevo
2. Click 'Add to Order'
3. Enter your Special Greenlight Code
4. Click 'Update Coupon', then click 'Order Now'
5. Enter your details (FastSpring requirement)
6. Complete the FREE 'order'
7. Check your e-mail's inbox

souce:https://upload.facebook.com/lazyguysstudio/photos/632636763485206

5 hours left,buy or not?
edit:go to buy it,6 games greenlit in this bundle.

Ruruja

all the buyers of Lazy Guys Studio 'Night Sky' Bundle. You can get your free Evopollution Steam key right now!
1. Open this link http://bit.ly/lgbevo
2. Click 'Add to Order'
3. Enter your Special Greenlight Code
4. Click 'Update Coupon', then click 'Order Now'
5. Enter your details (FastSpring requirement)
6. Complete the FREE 'order'
7. Check your e-mail's inbox

souce:https://upload.facebook.com/lazyguy...5544788/632636763485206/?type=1&stream_ref=10

5 hours left,buy or not?

Thanks. Just done this and you get a Special Greenlight Code 2 (for use with the next greenlit game I assume) with the Evopollution key. This is literally the worst way I can imagine this being done.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Thanks. Just done this and you get a Special Greenlight Code 2 (for use with the next greenlit game I assume) with the Evopollution key. This is literally the worst way I can imagine this being done.

I don't I can be arsed with all that shit tbh

Dusk Golem

I don't I can be arsed with all that shit tbh

It's pretty simple, actually. You just take the code labelled 'Special Greenlight Code' from your Night Sky Bundle Order email and put that code down as the coupon, which then simply checks out. Then a few moments later the Steam email gets sent to you.

JaseC

Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Huntsman: The Orphanage -- MB-14662ACB5354FB88 - Taken by kurahador
Evopollution -- MB-4AA32D1AABD560E6 - Taken by pahamrick

What do they mean by "refs"?

Refined metal. If keys are dollars then ref is cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom