• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Play some music. Jazz and swing in particular juxtapose well. Monsters don't look very serious when they are dancing to Benny Goodman.

actually the dks2 spiders are pretty goofy-looking already, they twitch and jump in a pretty silly way and aren't scary at all (well not totally scary) if they're like in front of me

problem is not knowing where they are and when they might jump from behind me or something

that really freaks me out

Tellaerin

Play some music. Jazz and swing in particular juxtapose well. Monsters don't look very serious when they are dancing to Benny Goodman.

...and Dark Souls 2 becomes Fallout: Medieval Fantasy Edition. ; )
Yes, I know that's actually Skyrim, but still. >.>

Kingdoms of Amalur just reminded me why I hate random loot games. I was backtracking a bit, collecting any lorestones I'd missed, and near the very first town I see a secret door with a treasure chest behind it. This chest is protected by a ward and it's also locked, which I've never seen before-- all the chests I've seen have either a ward or a lock (or no protection at all).

This is clearly a secret, meant only for high-level characters to discover (if they discover it at all). You won't even know it's there without several points in Detect Hidden, and then opening it requires several points in both Dispelling and Lockpicking, because both ward and lock are ranked Hard (and the ward is cursed, too). If this was a Zelda game, this would be where you'd find the giant sword or something. Instead, because the chest gave random loot that was level-scaled to the surrounding area, I got some crappy gloves and a potion.

A few minutes later, some unique accessories dropped off a boggart or something.

Still better than Darksiders 2.

Imagine an open world loot game this gem where all the loot is not randomized, it would take a lot of time to create. I think Fallout? isn't randomized. The houses and stuff are are placed not sure about what npcs have on them.

zkylon

zkylewd
dks2 also make a really gross sound when squished. really makes me crawl, i don't like it at all. problem is that if i don't have sound one might sneak up on me and give me a heart attack

the worst is that room where there's like 6 of them hanging from the ceiling, that room can go fuck itself ten times over

shit just thinking about it

...and Dark Souls 2 becomes Fallout: Medieval Fantasy Edition. ; )
Yes, I know that's actually Skyrim, but still. >.>

did you just like umm compared fallout to uhh like skyrim

the fuck is wrong with you

you're worse than spiders

Blizzard

Banned
Not only is the A New Reckoning store page filled with all-caps notes, and talking about how it is actually an early access game and the Steam stuff is messed up, but it is also flagged as including the Source SDK when it is a Unreal Engine 4 game.

ALSO PLEASE NOTE THIS IS EARLY ACCESS WE DO APOLOGIZE FOR THIS INCONVIENCE AND HAVE CONTACTED STEAM TO LET THEM KNOW THAT THERE SEEMS TO BE AN ISSUE WITH PEOPLE THINKING IT IS A FULL GAME.

wilflare

any good sales or bundles?
lol this thread is almost impossible to follow

managed to catch on the LazyGuys one
got the Sonic Hits from Humble too

tjohn86

Is anyone elses downloads randomly switching between games?

I'm downloading ~10 right now and it only grabs a few megs of each before switching.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ouch, man. : ( Just figured I'd get it out of the way, because I knew somebody was going to say it. :p
you also put the image in my head of a fallout game with spiders in it

not cool dude

not cool

you should've known better

you're a spider to me now

Not only is the A New Reckoning store page filled with all-caps notes, and talking about how it is actually an early access game and the Steam stuff is messed up, but it is also flagged as including the Source SDK when it is a Unreal Engine 4 game.
that is kind of hilarious

TO PLAY
After the game is installed

Right click on properties

Browse Local files

windows no editor

because the game is 32 bit and not 64 install vcredist_x86

once installed go to shootergame

win 32

double click on shootergame

ALSO TONIGHT WE ARE UPDATING THE GAME FIXING SOME ISSUES. 05/06/2014
like this can't be real lol

derExperte

I'm pretty sure The Behemoth said to UNINSTALL the beta awhile ago...
Someone's living on the edge.

Yes, in almost every email including the new one, see below. I guess that's the reason why they reverted it back to a barely playable state.

Uninstall the Beta first!

1. From the Steam client, click on Library
2. Right click on BattleBlock Theater under My Games on the righthand side
3. Select Delete Local Content
4. Allow Steam to uninstall and delete your game
5. Re-download the game on May 7th by installing from the Steam client.

Rest of the mail:

Hello derExperte!

Last week we announced that Beta Testers would be getting the game for free! Huzzah!

Now, we have some extra exciting news that we’d like to call icing on the cake. Starting May 7th, you’ll have early access to BattleBlock Theater Steam, which means we want you to re-install at your leisure and start playing again! Sweet, right?

One important embargo note: There is an embargo on reviews and monetization of videos until May 14th, 12PM PST. This means, no reviews to be published until May 14, 2014 - 12PM PST. However, you’re welcome to play early so you can have a better sense of what to cover on the game.

Version available during early access: During early access, select press and beta testers will be able to play the Windows version of BattleBlock Theater Steam. Linux is still currently in development. Thank you for understanding!

Okay, the important info is out of the way, so go get that sweet icing!

A thousand thanks,
The Behemoth

Just got another one.

Hey derExperte!

Sorry for the spam--sending out two emails in one day. To clarify, we are not allowing any live streaming, or videos of any kind, during this early access period. The embargo is effective until May 14, 2014 - 12PM PST. This applies to both press and Beta Testers.

Enjoy the game before the official release, but just make sure not to "accidentally" turn on Twitch or post on YouTube, etc. Thank you for understanding!

A thousand pardons,
The Behemoth

Turfster

any good sales or bundles?
lol this thread is almost impossible to follow

managed to catch on the LazyGuys one
got the Sonic Hits from Humble too
Edit: I can't fucking read.
I'm obviously too tired.

Edit the second: Did you grab Lococycle in the indiegala monday bundle for like 2$?

r3n4ud

God damn, LocoCycle enjoys crashing. Fix this shit Twisted Pixel :/

I've enjoyed what I played so far, but christ, it enjoys crashing towards the end of levels. Also, if I Alt+tab for too long, it's a goner!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Anyone know how to post a review to a piece of DLC? Writing up my Outlast: Whistleblower DLC review right now for GAF and wondering how to post it to there.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Anyone know how to post a review to a piece of DLC? Writing up my Outlast: Whistleblower DLC review right now for GAF and wondering how to post it to there.

I'm not sure if you can - even if you get to the right page where you could normally post the review, Steam will tell you that you don't have enough game time in the DLC since it doesn't track your DLC game time separately.

Dusk Golem

Finished Outlast: Whistleblower DLC. Here comes my impressions~

header_292x136.jpg

The DLC for Outlast, Whistleblower, is more or less more the same. And that'll either be a good or bad thing depending on who you are. They do switch up stuff, and they have a few new interesting stalkers, and a narrative that ties in well with the game. But still, it for better or worse feels like an expansion of the game. If this is what you're looking for, you'll be very pleased. If you wanted something more different, this may not be it.

One thing I noticed is that they tried to be a lot more radical with this one. And by radical, I mean they wanted to disturb the player and really make them feel uncomfortable. There's a specific section of the DLC that might really turn some people off, and this feels like the intended effect. And they deal with more radical ideas. It's hard to talk about this without spoiling elements of the DLC, but just know if you're easily offended, disgusted, or have an issue with nudity, it is here in the forefront and trying to offend those with weaker appetites for the deranged.

SPOILER:
There's a whole section where you run around naked from a guy who's trying to cut your dick off and make you into his dream woman, A few interesting scenes of castration and zoom-ins on penises aplenty. Also a scene shown of a woman's body completely violated and her vagina just ripped to shreds.

You spend a little more time outside than you did in the main game, and most of the areas are new in the DLC (and those that you revisit have twists on them). There's also more on the overall story and outcome of the events that happened in the main game, so for those interested story-wise, it expands some on the universe and fallout from the events of the main game, as well as telling the personal story of somebody new who goes through the incident from beginning to end.

One thing I was curious about the DLC was how encounters would differ. One of the biggest flaws of the original game was that the encounters got very predictable after a while. Whistleblower does mix things up some, but honestly it was less different than I was hoping. There's no segments of 'Go to three points and exit' like the original game, and I noticed a bigger presence of back-tracking that I recalled there being in the original game. A few encounters were set-up to start at different points, but they do feel like the same sort of thing. Though I did find the areas to be more designed to allow you to sneak around.

ss_07ac8d0341a5a5492f8ede289455526e37339b41.600x338.jpg

The new stalkers (of which there are two new main ones of) are both enjoyable. One makes a very distinct sound, which makes his encounters much more audio-based. The other is deliciously deranged, and charismatic. You also encounter a few of the first game's stalkers once or twice, but notably they seem to have chosen the stalkers that didn't appear much in the original game either.

The DLC I would place at 2-4 hours long. It took me 3 & a half hours to complete it, but I got confused at a few segments of what I needed to do, and took some time to look at things.

It's well-made, and really does feel like an expansion. If that's what you want, more Outlast, this is it. And it's good. However, if Outlast dragged on you, then this is more of it. It's well-made, but not really all that different. There are some fun encounters and moments, however. But heed that it all gets more messed-up than the original game.

A good piece of DLC that maybe isn't revolutionary or all that different from the main game, but is still well-made and worth experiencing if you happened to like the main game.

Tellaerin

you also put the image in my head of a fallout game with spiders in it

not cool dude

not cool

you should've known better

you're a spider to me now

Shit, man, I'd make a lousy spider.

Unless it's a spider from Mars. Now that, I can do.
Ziggy played guitar~

Seriously, though, I'm actually kind of surprised that there aren't any spiders in Fallout. I never really thought about that until you pointed it out. Giant radioactive spiders are totally a '50s monster movie thing. (Wonder if they deliberately went with scorpions instead to avoid freaking people out?) Anyway, sorry for putting that image in your head.

Dusk Golem

I'm not sure if you can - even if you get to the right page where you could normally post the review, Steam will tell you that you don't have enough game time in the DLC since it doesn't track your DLC game time separately.

I'm guessing there's someway, as there's a Steam review up for Whistleblower and other things. I am curious to crack this one, as it seems possible, but like almost no one knows how.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, with the news that Valve is rolling out new currencies on May 12th, I "wonder" whether or not one of them is the Canadian dollar. I mean, I don't wonder since the Steam dev days slides made it clear they were rolling out the Canadian dollar, but I guess officially I "wonder". It's probably worth going and buy $100 or so of Steam cards in advance since Canadian Steam gift cards redeem at currency parity with the US (allowing Canadians to beat the system by around ~10%) AND Canadian purchases aren't charged tax right now.

When they introduced new currencies in the past, did they convert your cash balance to your newly supported currency, or did you have to spend your balance in USD first?

Hoping to game the system here.

God damn, LocoCycle enjoys crashing. Fix this shit Twisted Pixel :/

I've enjoyed what I played so far, but christ, it enjoys crashing towards the end of levels. Also, if I Alt+tab for too long, it's a goner!

I didn't have a single crash playing the DX9 version

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm guessing there's someway, as there's a Steam review up for Whistleblower and other things. I am curious to crack this one, as it seems possible, but like almost no one knows how.

Let me do some digging around, I'll let you know what I come up with.

Exuro

Also dem memory requirements.

zkylon

zkylewd
Shit, man, I'd make a lousy spider.

Unless it's a spider from Mars. Now that, I can do.
Ziggy played guitar~
yea bowie spiders are cool, but they're the exception

Seriously, though, I'm actually kind of surprised that there aren't any spiders in Fallout. I never really thought about that until you pointed it out. Giant radioactive spiders are totally a '50s monster movie thing. (Wonder if they deliberately went with scorpions instead to avoid freaking people out?) Anyway, sorry for putting that image in your head.
it's weird, i actually stopped playing fallout tactics cos the radroaches scared the shit outta me and i mod them out in new vegas, so yea i hope fallout games don't bother going through that road

one more reason for fallout 2 to still be the game of the forever

Hahaha, you seriously can't make this shit up.

What the hell am I doing here? Why am I not playing Child of Light?
i see you playing fuel so i dunno what you mean :p

Caerith

Imagine an open world loot game this gem where all the loot is not randomized, it would take a lot of time to create. I think Fallout? isn't randomized. The houses and stuff are are placed not sure about what npcs have on them.
New Vegas at least is semi-randomized. Most stuff is placed, but generated enemies have random stuff on them-- in Honest Hearts, I was getting anti-materiel rifles off like every other White Leg.

I just posted a DLC review yesterday, so it is doable:
  1. Take a generic review link and change the steamapp_id associated with it. In this case, you'd review the Whistleblower DLC here.
  2. Use the JaseC idling method to convince Steam you're playing the DLC directly.
  3. "Play" 5 minutes, then publish.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I think I just found out why Dark Souls crashed as soon as I launched it. Star Wars The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes did the same, and googling the error message I read that it could be related to GFWL. To test it, I launched Kane & Lynch and Fuel (both games I had run several months ago without any trouble) and both crashed too as soon as the games booted.

I don't know what can be the cause, because I did reinstall GFWL when trying to fix DS. I didn't try uninstalling the piece of shit client first, so I should do that and see if it helps. But not tonight, I'm gonna finish launching the Star Wars games for the Playfire rewards and then jump into Child of Light.

So if anyone needs another reason to hate GFWL, here it is. The fucking turd can stop working whenever it feels like it, taking down your games with it. Microsoft, I love you so much right now.

i see you playing fuel so i dunno what you mean :p
Hey dude, don't spoil my detective work!

Not cool bro, not cool :/

zkylon

zkylewd
i don't think a loot game with scripted loot would really work

big part of the appeal of those games like diablo and boredlands and whatnot is never knowing what you'll find

i don't really see why people like that but you know

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

big part of the appeal of those games like diablo and boredlands and whatnot is never knowing what you'll find

PSO did a pretty great job of it with the drop tables, but they also had a metric shitton of unique loot and the rates were high enough that it felt like you'd never know what you found

mannerbot

Same reason people like slots, it's operant conditioning.

jshackles

1. Take a generic review link and change the steamapp_id associated with it. In this case, you'd review the Whistleblower DLC here.
  2. Use the JaseC idling method to convince Steam you're playing the DLC directly.

Yeah, just saw this method. I guess I could add the "Recommend this game" link to Enhanced Steam, but getting people to idle a game's DLC for 5 minutes is kind of outside of Enhanced Steam's scope.

Unfortunately the requirement to play for at least 5 minutes is checked server-side and can't be spoofed or bypassed. :(

Dusk Golem

Thank you very much, I almost understand it. But I'm being stupid and not figuring out which directory to put the text file in. I tried the game's directory, but not sure if that's quite it, so feel I am overlooking something.

Caerith

Yeah, just saw this method. I guess I could add the "Recommend this game" link to Enhanced Steam, but getting people to idle a game's DLC for 5 minutes is kind of outside of Enhanced Steam's scope.

Unfortunately the requirement to play for at least 5 minutes is checked server-side and can't be spoofed or bypassed. :(
Yeah, it's only something I'd do if I really wanted to express my opinions on a piece of DLC. I kinda miss the old way (there's got to be a better way).

me i'll take the dark souls style 100% of the times

Same. Random loot takes away any motivation to pursue challenges-- like, Darksiders 2? Why spend 10+ minutes trying to solve a puzzle and get to that out of the way chest? It's just got the same random garbage in it that drops from ordinary enemies.

Thank you very much, I almost understand it. But I'm being stupid and not figuring out which directory to put the text file in. I tried the game's directory, but not sure if that's quite it, so feel I am overlooking something.

Use Super Hexagon, the steamapp_id file is already there. Just open it, save it with the new number, open the .exe for five minutes, then change the id back.

jshackles

This can also be accomplished with SAM.

Just put the "AppID" into the search field at the top, and double click the entry to make Steam think you are playing the DLC.

Dusk Golem

Use Super Hexagon, the steamapp_id file is already there. Just open it, save it with the new number, open the .exe for five minutes, then change the id back.

This can also be accomplished with SAM.

Just put the "AppID" into the search field at the top, and double click the entry to make Steam think you are playing the DLC.

Thank you very much you two! Figured it all out, I was thinking too manually about it. XD; But good to know for DLC reviews.

I'm glad Daedalic relented and gave previous owners the special edition of The Whispered World, but it's definitely bugging me to have both versions in my library.

Man, Dementium 2 HD is JANKY AS ALL GETOUT.

And buggy too. I think I just lost a bunch of progress because the game randomly decided to not recognize certain functions.

Not Dark Souls 2 style though, sucks to farm a random drop from an enemy only to have their spawn expire before you get it.

That's why FROM invented bonfire ascetics.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not entirely sure why I chose this game to give away, but here's a game that may or may not be okay.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Akane the Kunoichi -- MB-D9A06EA9F3AD444D - Taken by Colin.. 28 entrants total.

t1399443446z1.png

Hopefully it worked, first time doing a give away with a key directly from Steam, if it didn't just send me a PM and I'll sort it out.

Tellaerin

Yeah random loot is awful. Hand-placed all day every day.

Random loot when done well is awesome. (Phantasy Star Online/Universe/Portable say hello.) The problem is that it's not done well most of the time. There needs to be some structure to it, for one thing - you need tiered drop tables to ensure that what drops off of bosses/high-level chests is going to be a cut above what drops off of random popcorn mobs, as a bare minimum.

Dusk Golem

Someone I actually know managed to snag DreadOut when it was accidentally on sale, and they're really praising it. Making me jealous. D<

But basically their take is that the game looks outdated (especially in the beginning day section), but plays good and is legitimately scary. I told him to tell me nothing, but he's making me excited. OTL

-MD-

Someone I actually know managed to snag DreadOut when it was accidentally on sale, and they're really praising it. Making me jealous. D<

But basically their take is that the game looks outdated (especially in the beginning day section), but plays good and is legitimately scary. I told him to tell me nothing, but he's making me excited. OTL

Visuals matter zero to me so that part is fine, actually the outdated visuals in the gameplay I've seen sort of add to the creepy factor even more.

See if he has anything to say about the length of the game if he keeps progressing through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom