• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After playing and reviewing the first one in the series, decided, hey I've got the sequel in my library, might as well! Some impressions for the bundle-tastic House of 1000 Doors: Palm of Zoroaster:

The story: Kate Reed, the novelist and now part-time protagonist, hears reports of some strange goings-on in New Jersey and decides to investigate. Sure enough, something's afoot at the House of 1000 Doors, and you have to stop this entity from setting everything on fire, people included. The bonus chapter involves the current owner of the house, Gabriel, as he's being subjected to an aging curse and tries to pass the house on to you. Both stories flesh out the plot through found books, and some of the characters make small references to the previous game, which is always nice. There is, however, one serious flaw with both the main game and the bonus chapter.

THERE IS NO DENOUEMENT.

Ever watched an action movie where, as soon as the bad guy dies, the credits roll? Nobody thanks the heroes, the guy doesn't kiss the girl or ride off into the sunset, no set-up for a sequel with some other sinister guy waiting in the shadows? Just...it's over? Yeah. Both the main game and the bonus chapter ended with a climactic cutscene, then...that's it. Which is weird because I thought the first game had a pretty good ending. Cmon, developers, storytelling 101.

The graphics: the resolution maxes out at 1280x960. So...yeah. It's pretty much identical to the first one; that is, pretty good as far as a hidden object game goes. The only thing I had an issue with was a certain picture puzzle was very dark, and it was hard to figure out which mostly-black-with-some-dark-grey piece goes where. Apart from that, for a bundle game it's just fine.

The puzzles and gameplay: the conveyance is much better in this one. Very few instances where you could use pretty much anything to solve a task, but only one is accepted. Only two bits of bullshit: one being a Layton-style sliding puzzle - marking the first time EVER that I have skipped a puzzle in a hidden object game (and if this game had achievements I might actually have tried, but it doesn't, so fuck that) and one where they had ladder rungs all over the place, but you couldn't pick them up until you found the ladder stilts. Stop teasing me, game, let me just pick things up and figure out what to do with them later. That's the hallmark of an adventure game!

The music and audio: Not terribly bad. The game centers around an organ, so it would have been cool to have more tracks feature some of that, but it seems they just recycled a lot of the tracks from the first game. Still, it's okay.

The length: 4 hours. So, less than the first one. It's easier, but then again I skipped the sliding puzzle. It's above average for the genre.

The verdict: This game has better gameplay than Family Secrets, but the lack of proper endings really hurts it. It does have more hidden object scene than adventure game, so if that's the puzzle you're into, and you don't care about the story, this would be one to pick up. If story is important to you, it would be safe to pass on this one.

i'll accept my losses here but if I have to lock batman to 30fps... fml

It's an Unreal game that's being built with the consoles in mind, if anything they'll throw in some sort of crazy PhysX thingie that looks like crap and runs like crap too that no one will miss.

It would be a feat if it doesn't run better than TW3.

Salsa

It's an Unreal game that's being built with the consoles in mind, if anything they'll throw in some sort of crazy PhysX thingie that looks like crap and runs like crap too that no one will miss.

here's hoping

thing is batman actually benefits from 60fps from a controls perspective, at least I think so

the witcher 3 is HELLA janky. honestly.

guess it was expected and not really what im in it for but damn

you try to slowly turn around and suddenly you're facing a fence on top of a rock or some shit

so yeah, not being so precise means you don't lose much in that area

reminds me of asscreed

jase will love it

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
here's hoping

thing is batman actually benefits from 60fps from a controls perspective, at least I think so

you try to slowly turn around and suddenly you're facing a fence on top of a rock or some shit

reminds me of asscreed

jase will love it

You missed the best part: collectable cards.

Edit: D'oh.

Copons

So I'm not crazy!

And here I thought it was just me, not used to 3rd persons anymore.

iosefe

Microsoft being Microsoft.

but it's still literally what we've been told there is a free opportunity to upgrade for a year, and after that point any upgrades are through purchased means

*edit* i just read the actual release. we don't get to choose the version

**at least in my case, i'm stuck with home because i have 7 Home premium last i checked

Khronico

here's hoping

reminds me of asscreed

jase will love it

The jump is so hilarious looking.

It's the best.

here's hoping

reminds me of asscreed

jase will love it

So, I'm waiting for TW3 on Winter Sale then. Okay. Or even EE.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Gearbox and 3D Realms settle Duke Nukem lawsuit

According to the documents posted on GAF, the matter was settled with the assistance of a mediator, and may ultimately end with the return of the Duke to his original home at 3D Realms. The filing states that "the Seller may repurchase the Duke IP at a price equal to the Buy-Back," which is framed by various expensive-sounding clauses and conditions; that doesn't mean that 3D Realms is definitely reacquiring the property, or that Gearbox is committed to selling it, but it certainly appears as though an opportunity for the franchise to change hands is on the table. There are also a few images apparently taken from Mass Destruction before work on the game morphed into the upcoming Bombshell.

GAF -> Internet -> GAF ;)

although - there's no separate thread about that specifically :p

tradingcard
tradingcard
tradingcard
Cards Alert
tradingcard
tradingcard
tradingcard

Nosgoth got cards.

almost decided on locking the witcher 3 to 30fps and just going Ultra

never done this with a game before, feelsweird

can't get 60fps constant no matter the settings so I might just have to

I feel dirty

Just imagine you're playing on a 3DS. You'll love it.

i'll accept my losses here but if I have to lock batman to 30fps... fml

I want to say the Arkham games on consoles, where I platinumed 2/3, were locked 30fps. Those still felt responsive. It all depends on how the game is coded and handled.

Either way... sounds like it's time for you to upgrade. ;)

Run better than TW3, probably. But still, it's a PC port of a game designed for PS4/X1... pessimistically optimistic seems like your best bet until it releases... when was the last game Rocksteady released on PC... are they doing the PC version in house or is it being outsourced to another shop? So many questions.

here's hoping

Sorta, but it's not like you're playing a fighting game with all sorts of frame data and need it to consistently operate at 60fps because of combo timings. :p

zkylon

zkylewd
Gearbox and 3D Realms settle Duke Nukem lawsuit

GAF -> Internet ->GAF ;)

although - there's no separate thread about that specifically :p

i still want my idea of a beer belly, balding, duke nukem as a middle aged man coping with the fact that he's no longer relevant in a post 90s actionhero world

he can then be return to hero status by proving everyone that even if he's old and gross, he still matters and he's still the guy we love

or something like that

i still want my idea of a beer belly, balding, duke nukem as a middle aged man coping with the fact that he's no longer relevant in a post 90s actionhero world

he can then be return to hero status by proving everyone that even if he's old and gross, he still matters and he's still the guy we love

or something like that

Kinda sounds a little like Action Henk.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

or something like that

That's basically what Giant Bomb said DNF should have been. Tonight you will be visited by the lawyer of Ryan Davis' ghost... who's also a ghost.

or something like that

I'd take that Duke. Too bad that we'll never see a new Duke game after the DNF fiasco :(

zkylon

zkylewd
That's basically what Giant Bomb said DNF should have been.

it's just the honest duke nukem

it's no longer the 90s, duke nukem is neither cool or funny, sexism is no longer cool and all that shit, but he would make a pretty cool character to see dragged through the mud and then rise because the world needs heroes

it could still be a shooter, like a comedy version of max payne 3, which admittedly was full of unintentionally comedy material too

i only played the demo of dnf but from that i got the impression that the game was so unaware of itself that it was just embarrassing at best and insulting at worst

have some self awareness ffs

I'd take that Duke. Too bad that we'll never see a new Duke game after the DNF fiasco :(
well 3d realms, if you ever want to talk ideas, i'm here

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Teleglitch: Die More Edition -- MB-6F6F90BD61361291 - Taken by Cyldman. 1 entrants total.

t1432074366z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
watching mad max kind of makes me want a rage sequel

rage was actually a pretty cool game

like boredlands with gameplay

if they had made it a bit more freeform rather than straight corridor shooter it might've been amazing

rtcn63

Started Winter Soldier. I watched Lucy not too long ago, and is this just how Scarlett Yonyonson talks? I've seen better delivery in a SyFy Original.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Rage had some of the best hit and death animations around. The engine might have been a disaster and many of the engagements weren't mindblowing, but you could see the life leaving some poor bastard's body when you shot them in the face.

rtcn63

Borderlands with Rage's gun mechanics (weight and feel at least), would be interesting, but I'm guessing it'd be difficult to implement without compromising everything else. Too many gun types.

milena87

I just finished Life is Strange episode 3.

oh my god I killed Lisa!!

Joking aside, it was another great episode, can't wait to see what'll happen next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom