• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phinor

A developer coming out and saying the keys aren't legitimate isn't enough? What exactly would sway you?

It would be quite rare for a big developer to actually know all the parties they sell their keys to. They don't do business with every retailer individually, that would be madness. As an example Ubisoft put up a legit retailer list up on their site the other week and it's missing most stores that sell their games digitally.

Oh, good, so it's not just me. I just finished a playthrough of the game fairly recently, and it was just kind of "bleh". Sure, hearing Mark Hamil as the Joker again brought back all sorts of flashbacks from hearing him in the animated series back in the 90s, but I found the game itself to be rather bland. I completely agree on the combat. It started out kind of neat, but just felt stiff and ended up taking WAY too long, especially later on.

It's still worth trying out Arkham City and/or Origins. Asylum seems like the result of a developer testing the water more so than it being the game they ultimately wanted to make. The combat in the sequels is still straightforward on a base level, but there are more complex enemy encounters that demand better use of the player abilities. City's just a better realization of what Rocksteady were going for, and Knight is going to take that further.

Teggy

I've got a potentially dumb question about the GMG Witcher 3 stuff.

The Gamespot article says that GOG/CDP get no money from the sale of these codes. However, if the codes exist then doesn't that mean there had to be a transaction at some point for these codes to exist, meaning that they'd have their slice of the pie?

The only situation I can think of is if the keys were stolen somehow and GMG didn't realize their supplier wasn't legit.

The fact that they were selling them at 35% off just seemed really shady and fell into "too good to be true".

The Gamespot article says that GOG/CDP get no money from the sale of these codes. However, if the codes exist then doesn't that mean there had to be a transaction at some point for these codes to exist, meaning that they'd have their slice of the pie?

Unsourced keys mean that CD Projekt did not directly distribute them to GMG (keep in mind that the developer generates all keys and knows where they are supposed to be), which means that GMG got it in one of the following ways:

• Best case scenario: GMG is buying them from a cheap regional reseller, someone from places like Russia or Brazil or something, and reselling them for a handsome personal profit. Unethical, though not technically illegal.
  • Worst case scenario: GMG is buying them from an illicit source that actually stole the keys from somewhere. Highly illegal, though it's easy to throw the regional reseller under the bus for this so as to remain "unblemished" themselves. This method is very risky, as the keys will likely be revoked at some point in the future; because of this risk it is unethical and supremely disrespectful to their customers.
In both cases the developer sees little, if any, profit, and explaining it away as "they already got paid" is handwaiving at best. It is a practice that undermines the bedrock of game development by eroding a developer's ability to profit, and thus worsening the outlook for their future products. If you have any love of a developer's products, you should avoid purchasing games like this at all costs.

Dr Dogg

It's like that in the console too so I think you're safe here.

Ah top stuff.

Poor reporting as per usual. In their effort to get the update to their story in quick there's no fact checking or communication with GMG so it's all assumption of course. So let's go through a few options, say the keys are stollen then no GOG wont get anything but I'd imagine they'd have them in their inventory management system somewhere and wouldn't honour them anyway. Say they were bought cheaply through a retailer then they would receive their cut from the original retailer. Say somehow they were acquired via VPN then money would have been paid at some point and not on credit terms. Who know's but personally I'd want to get both sides of the story before stating that CDPR wont get anything Why Gamespot didn't bother to contact GMG is beyond me but even the quote from CDPR's PR is just two words.

The feeling when you have your foot propped up on a box and you look down and there's a spider on your heel. After the cockroach incident I think it's time to call the exterminators ;-;

Vlad

It's still worth trying out Arkham City and/or Origins. Asylum seems like the result of a developer testing the water more so than it being the game they ultimately wanted to make. The combat in the sequels is still straightforward on a base level, but there are more complex enemy encounters that demand better use of the player abilities. City's just a better realization of what Rocksteady were going for, and Knight is going to take that further.

Yeah, I've got City wishlisted, and will probably pick it up the next time it gets really cheap. I did like what I played of the demo, and hopefully the more open world will help smooth over Asylum's edges.

Tizoc

OK as someone who hasn't played a SimCity game before and while liking city building games, sucks donkey balls at them, what would eb a good SimCity game to get?

aparently Veggie thinks I died

wait...did I? hmmm would explain why my sex life went down the shitter, what with being a ghost and all :(
Haha. Knew the wording felt a bit weird :p
But with how drastically reduced your post count got compared to last year, you might as well have!
No actually not but you get what I mean ;)
It's only been 6 days and there's already 30+ pages. You guys moves fast while I was gone.
Hey, welcome back. Reminds me of hekk's ban. Wonder how long he is gone?
Current thread got put up early.

Comparing equivalent time periods:

Current thread after 6 days (at this time) had 60 pages, 50ppp.

Previous thread after 6 days (at this same time period) had 71 pages, 50ppp.

Bustatorship stays winning.

#bitter.
He’s the OP Steam-Gaf deserves,
but not the one it needs right now.

So we’ll de-op him. Because he can take it.
Because he’s not our OP.

He’s a silent poster, a watchful anti-weeaboo.
A dark morningbus.

City>Asylum>Oranges>Blackgate

I didn't like City the first time i played it after release on the PS3, i really was into AA and all of the open world shenanigans prejudiced me to the game before i had played it. Then, the disjointed nature of the game's narrative didn't help, either.

I decided to give it another go last year, several years removed from AA and couldn't put my controller down. I never got around to doing all of the side missions but i really appreciated their approach to them, where instead of doing an Assassin's Creed and having a billion bad side quests they had only about a dozen of them but they were all very unique and enjoyable.

Really, City was a damn gem of a game. Oranges was ok for what it was but it doesn't even compare, and Blackgate was fine but not nearly as good as the rest.

Dr Dogg

I don't think that GMG would risk their reputation this way. But they need to release statement fast.

"Well about 500 of us in the office all bought a new Nvidia GPUs so we had this abundance of Witcher III promo codes so why not sell them back to our loyal community. There's nothing wrong with that is there?"

yuraya

So who is going to hold that L? GMG or CDPR?

I say GMG. CDPR would have to be on top of their game when it comes to knowing who is selling their stuff. Especially if it gets to the point where they talked to gamespot about it.

smh @ GMG if true. Just awful :(

Ah, OK. Are those keys stolen or something?

In some cases yes. Some sites also used to sell keys that pubs/devs gave to youtubers and such.
Then, there are some sites that sell keys which are available for cheap prices in other countries, but that's probably not popular now, since Valve region locked everything.

It would be quite rare for a big developer to actually know all the parties they sell their keys to. They don't do business with every retailer individually, that would be madness. As an example Ubisoft put up a legit retailer list up on their site the other week and it's missing most stores that sell their games digitally.

And it doesn't help that Namco Bandai is publishing Witcher 3 in Europe, so as a UK-based company, GMG could've been dealing with them instead of CDPR

Dr Dogg

Have GMG and Bamco kissed and made up? I'd guess so seeing as they're listed as the publisher on their Witcher III page.

In some cases, yes, but generally speaking they're taken from physical stock, which sounds innocent, but it's not a practice that any publisher condones/endorses.

In some cases yes. Some sites also used to sell keys that pubs/devs gave to youtubers and such.
Then, there are some sites that sell keys which are available for cheap prices in other countries, but that's probably not popular now, since Valve region locked everything.

Got it, thanks for the clarification.

With regards to nuuvem, how is their service if you're in the US?

dex3108

So i have verified PayPal account for years and today i should get payment and instead of money i got mail from person who should pay me saying that they got error. So i tried to request payment and PayPal told me that i need to verify my card again even though i did that before two times. Ugh.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
With regards to nuuvem, how is their service if you're in the US?

Fine. Nuuvem no longer accepts orders from users outside of South America, officially speaking, but this just means you're SOL if you use a VPN to buy a game and you find yourself with a region-locked key.

Dr Dogg

So i have verified PayPal account for years and today i should get payment and instead of money i got mail from person who should pay me saying that they got error. So i tried to request payment and PayPal told me that i need to verify my card again even though i did that before two times. Ugh.

I've got to piss around verifying a bank account I use as a PayPal intermediary every 6 months or so. Always get asked to verify two transactions that have been sent ages ago which turns out to be a right pain when I need it. Not doing anything shady honest.

Shadownet

Banned
So since I got Batman Arkham Knight from Nvidia. I'm thinking about cancelling my pre-order of it on Nuuvem, unless someone here want it?

Also got an extra Witcher 3 GOG code. Thank you Microcenter.

phierce

So since I got Batman Arkham Knight from Nvidia. I'm thinking about cancelling my pre-order of it on Nuuvem, unless someone here want it?

What are you wanting to get for the Witcher 3 code?

Tizoc

Me me!
But give me 24 hours first.
How much should I paypal you for a copy of Arkham Knight?

dex3108

I've got to piss around verifying a bank account I use as a PayPal intermediary every 6 months or so. Always get asked to verify two transactions that have been sent ages ago which turns out to be a right pain when I need it. Not doing anything shady honest.

They suck and whenever i get new card (every 3 years) my account becomes limited for few weeks because i just updated F-in expiration date. Sometimes i really hate PayPal.

Nabs

I don't remember seeing this anywhere. Audiosurf 2 is leaving Early Access May 26th.

New Logo by Cory Schmitz

AS2_SteamImage_600.png

Also a massive patch coming by launch. I was hoping we'd get to test it all out before then, but I guess that isn't in the plans.

Dsyndrome

They suck and whenever i get new card (every 3 years) my account becomes limited for few weeks because i just updated F-in expiration date. Sometimes i really hate PayPal.

Is that just regional Paypal that does that? I did that recently with mine and didn't experience any delays or issues (US-based).

dex3108

Is that just regional Paypal that does that? I did that recently with mine and didn't experience any delays or issues (US-based).

Last time i updated my card my account was limited for couple of weeks. And after few weeks it wasn't limited anymore. Only PayPal knows what they are doing. I mean if i am Verified for year why suddenly i need to verify my card again to receive payment? I am from South - Eastern EU and my country is fully supported on PayPal.

BorntoPlay

I'm really glad that I joined Gaf. This thread has become my home basically on Gaf. Got to know many good people and learned a lot here. So I enjoyed and still enjoy my time here.

I've won so many great games and gave way too less back. Hope this will result in some good karma, even if only little.

Good luck and have fun folks. You are good people.

Activates a Steam version obviously.

This will bring you a pile of great karma...XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom