• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
we call that bad writing

aka higurashi

The first game had actually good writing I think when it came to the cases. You could deduct who might be the Killer, what might be a trap set by the Killer etc.

Case 2+3 in Dangan 2 arent like that though. It feels like, judging by the writing, everyone could actually be the Killer.

Red Hood

Banned
Eh, my first impression of ARMA 3 (free weekend on Steam by the way) isn't good. Default controls are absolutely terrible. Unless I'm overlooking something in the controls settings, you can't change it either. While the keyboard movement is on par with industry standard, they seem to differentiate looking and aiming with the mouse. So you can look behind you for example, but your weapons are still facing forward. Surely I'm just overlooking something and they didn't mean it to be like this?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
No idea what you're talking about. I bought ARMA 3 last year and it was normal from the start.

Red Hood

Banned
No idea what you're talking about. I bought ARMA 3 last year and it was normal from the start.

Then it's a weird ass glitch because I can look left, right and behind me like usual, but I can't actually fire in that direction, only the direction the body itself is facing.

Javier23

Banned
Eh, my first impression of ARMA 3 (free weekend on Steam by the way) isn't good. Default controls are absolutely terrible. Unless I'm overlooking something in the controls settings, you can't change it either. While the keyboard movement is on par with industry standard, they seem to differentiate looking and aiming with the mouse. So you can look behind you for example, but your weapons are still facing forward. Surely I'm just overlooking something and they didn't mean it to be like this?
Hold ALT, and you can use your mouse to move your head. Double press it, and you switch your mouse controls from being used by default to move your weapon to moving your head. Pretty useful, specially in vehicles.
Then it's a weird ass glitch because I can look left, right and behind me like usual, but I can't actually fire in that direction, only the direction the body itself is facing.
Definitely not a glitch, you're still just discovering all the options the game offers. It definitely doesn't do a great job at teaching you. I still believe the original Operation Flashpoint (it goes by Arma Cold War Assault these days) does a much better job at introducing you to all the mechanics. It also has one of the best single player campaigns of any game ever. Those of every other Arma including 3 are mostly rubbish.

Red Hood

Banned
Hold ALT, and you can use your mouse to move your head. Double press it, and you switch your mouse controls from being used by default to move your weapon to moving your head. Pretty useful, specially in vehicles.

Definitely not a glitch, you're still just discovering all the options the game offers. It definitely doesn't do a great job at teaching you. I still believe the original Operation Flashpoint (it goes by Arma Cold War Assault these days) does a much better job at introducing you to all the mechanics. It also has one of the best single player campaigns of any game ever. Those of every other Arma including 3 are mostly rubbish.

I knew it couldn't be on purpose and I'm all for subtlety, but this wasn't very clear. Thanks I'll give the double ALT a try.

that eurogamer uc4 article thread is a bloodpath

Gaming side is "Choose your own Uncharted 4 thread":

Little details you appreciate in Uncharted 4
Uncharted 4 Early Copy Spoiler Thread
Eurogamer: Is Uncharted more 'walking simulator' than action game?
Uncharted 4: Demos vs Final Game Comparison (Digital Foundry)
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Screenshot Thread: Post Your Fortune...
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory

Tizoc

it's finally weekend, so short yet so much games in the backlog to play...

Oh do tell please do tell! Cuz really
“Golf is a good walk spoiled"
Uncharted 4 is a good walking simulator spoiled

The shooty banging was really unneeded and I got tired of that shit.

Gaming side is "Choose your own Uncharted 4 thread":

Little details you appreciate in Uncharted 4
Uncharted 4 Early Copy Spoiler Thread
Eurogamer: Is Uncharted more 'walking simulator' than action game?
Uncharted 4: Demos vs Final Game Comparison (Digital Foundry)
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Screenshot Thread: Post Your Fortune...
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory
Multiplayer component gets its own OT, am I seeing this right? And a screenshot thread?

Jawmuncher

What's surprising is Bloodborne had a shit ton of threads too, but Dark Souls 3 didn't really. Despite being playable on more systems....

Multiplayer component gets its own OT, am I seeing this right? And a screenshot thread?

And a demo vs final release comparison thread.
And a Digital Foundry analysis thread.
And a "is it a walking simulator or action game?" thread.
And a Uncharted 4 would save the Wii U thread.

What's surprising is Bloodborne had a shit ton of threads too, but Dark Souls 3 didn't really. Despite being playable on more systems....

It was always said GAF was composed of Sony fanboys.

KingKong

It has a page now

GEORGE: Oh, no no no. Course not. I got a great name for our kids. A real original. You wanna hear what it is? Huh, you ready?

SUSAN: Yeah.

George uses his finger to draw a number 7 in the air, accompanying the strokes of his digit with a two-tone whistle.

SUSAN: What is that? Sign language?

GEORGE: No, Seven.

SUSAN: Seven Costanza? You're serious?

GEORGE: Yeah. It's a beautiful name for a boy or a girl...

And a demo vs final release comparison thread.
And a Digital Foundry analysis thread.
And a "is it a walking simulator or action game?" thread.
And a Uncharted 4 would save the Wii U thread.
Graphical analysis usually gets a separate thread, wtf at the last one.

I didn't play Uncharted 4, but was its multiplayer so groundbreaking that it warranted an OT? And posting screenshots is what people usually do in the OT, no?

Soulflarz

Banned
the hell?

while we are at it, let's call day-night and white-black

We are homies no more.
May the Four Winds laugh at you for all eternity.

The only thing bad in Higurashi are the BAD ENDS.

Wait

are we actually defending Higurashi's setup to the twist

Guys
The twist is left field with no foreshadowing in the entire thing. It's as stupid as it can be. Hell, we talk about
aliens
for a super long time as a side tangent.

But yeah, Higurashi set up a twist that was so much less than what we were dealing with in setup.

kurahador

The first game had actually good writing I think when it came to the cases. You could deduct who might be the Killer, what might be a trap set by the Killer etc.

Case 2+3 in Dangan 2 arent like that though. It feels like, judging by the writing, everyone could actually be the Killer.

I like the way Dangan 2 reveals murderer more because you'll discover it at the same time as the characters.

In Dangan 1, you always knew way before they even reveals it. I mean during the early case, you can even guess who the killer is after you found the body. It's boring.

Graphical analysis usually gets a separate thread, wtf at the last one.

I didn't play Uncharted 4, but was its multiplayer so groundbreaking that it warranted an OT? And posting screenshots is what people usually do in the OT, no?

No it only got a multiplayer OT because The Last of Us Remastered for some reason had one. I don't know.

derExperte

it's finally weekend, so short yet so much games in the backlog to play...

Looking at who got banned and who didn't is very interesting.

Big games often get separate MP threads. Stellaris has one too for example but it was made here in Community where imo those should be if it isn't a MP-only title like Overwatch.

cyba89

All on the front page at the same time?

Well obviously not all at the same time, but yeah there were a plenty of active DS3 threads in the two weeks between Japan and western release and after western release.
Bloodborne maybe had a bigger impact in a short timeframe because that one got an almost simultanious release everywhere, while with DS3 people and streamers already played japanese and even localized version two weeks before the rest

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
All on the front page at the same time?

Uncharted 4 is a huge release in a lot of way - fans of the series are (obviously) excited about it and newcomers to the series that didn't own a PS3 have a good jumping off point. The game has some seriously impressive graphics tech for the hardware it's running on, and it's getting almost unanimous praise in the press - gaming and otherwise.

Considering other titles it's releasing against (mainly, Doom) it's not surprising to see so many threads open in gaming side at once - this is pretty normal for a game like Uncharted, but it will eventually fizzle out as people finish the game and move on to the next big release. Dark Souls III was pretty similar - even hit indie games like Stardew Valley have seen multiple active threads on gaming side before.

Uncharted 4 is a huge release in a lot of way - fans of the series are (obviously) excited about it and newcomers to the series that didn't own a PS3 have a good jumping off point. The game has some seriously impressive graphics tech for the hardware it's running on, and it's getting almost unanimous praise in the press - gaming and otherwise.

Considering other titles it's releasing against (mainly, Doom) it's not surprising to see so many threads open in gaming side at once - this is pretty normal for a game like Uncharted, but it will eventually fizzle out as people finish the game and move on to the next big release. Dark Souls III was pretty similar - even hit indie games like Stardew Valley have seen multiple active threads on gaming side before.

But we've built a narrative here that Sony fanboys are insane, I think we should stick with it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
When Dino Crisis comes back and there's 10 threads on the home page I better not hear any complaints.

haha as long as they're not all started by you and that there is natural discussion happening, I don't see a problem with it.

When Dino Crisis comes back

94vqz.jpg

Obligatory.

Edit: Found this version minutes too late.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I don't particularly care about the number of threads made or anything, but let's not pretend that Sony fans aren't a bit more zealous than others, either.

Sony exclusive games get more threads than Microsoft exclusives.
Multiplatform games often get Sony-specific threads. (I remember this one with the Witcher 3)
Multiplatforms games, especially ones that are PC and PS4 only, usually only get threads referencing the existence of the PS4 version. (To be fair here, this is because many of these threads seem to be sourced from the Sony blog, so it makes some sense but is frequent enough to be annoying)

This is mostly a function of the PS4 being the leader in the market, so it's whatever. But let's not give them a free pass, either.

derExperte

Finished Love at First Sight, another one for the pile of highly rated but disappointing VNs that didn't do anything for me. At least the art isn't completely terrible but the story never goes beyond cliché school drama and there isn't even a lot of drama, just long stretches of 'I'm not worthy....no, I really like you....no....yes....no'. Wants to make a point about bullying which is commendable but the writing isn't there and considering the main focus is a one-eyed girl the game just isn't weird enough. Except the touching the scars thing. To be fair the dev himself says pretty much the same in the extras.

But we've built a narrative here that Sony fanboys are insane, I think we should stick with it.

The number of threads only tells half the story. I dare you to click on one.

That's the point though. Having only the bog-standard movement control would negate all the tactical options the series offers. To be fair, the acclimation phase can take a good while. Only after a solid dozen hours did I start grasping the fine uses of ordering different classes to different stances and ROE. Once it clicks though.... man it clicks good. Nothing quite like it. Very satisfying to overcome bad odds with zero casualties or harmed.
Another language mod for FFX
giphy.gif

No link, no nothing??
Nice, From patched DS3 and now people are reporting micro-freezes every 20-30 seconds.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4j5dph/pc_patch_1041_is_out_now_on_steam/d33tyy7

Meanwhile the huge list of bugs and the broken anti-cheat system are always the same.

Also why nobody is talking about Doom? Is the game so bad people already forgot about it?
Here the notes:
App Version 1.04.1 / Reg Version 1.06.1 Update
13 May - Kimundi
Ashen Ones,

We have heard your concerns about being victims of deviant behavior while playing online multiplayer, we have released a patch solving some of the issues you can encounter. Other updates will follow to continue this work, we will keep you posted in due times!

Today’s update have solved the following issues you may encounter in the Online Mode:

Being sent immediately to your world
Being sent to the Firelink Shrine
Being changed in full Dragon Body Status

We’d also like to remind you that our Server Team is checking all the accounts before penalizing players. If you received an “Invalid Data” message, please refer to the following article: https://support.bandainamcoent.com/...ctions-and-warning-messages-what-do-they-mean. Players that fall victim of online issues will not be penalized if they are innocent.
Will try out to see about the stutters.

It has a page now
Looks interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom