• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm missing something about Monster Hunter, but I was never able to get into that franchise. I remember playing one of them on the PSP (Freedom Unite?) and it felt to me like a plodding, clunky take on stuff like PSU:AotI and Phantasy Star Portable 2. Is that something that changes the more you play, or is it just one of those series that's not going to click with me?

Its not going to click with you. MH is clunky and slow. That game is also a multiplayer-game through and through.

If you play it in SP, its not really fun.

Toukiden or God Eater might be better for you, though the first one also gets boring after 15-20 hours because compared to MH its far too easy. The later bosses are just color swaps of earlier bosses but while in MH those have new attack patterns, new strategies etc. they are just the same boss but with more health.

zkylon

zkylewd
well seems like i got spared of a spider thing cos i was sleeping

guess one more person for the ignore bag lol

Come on zky, that's not needed to use such words.
well i always had a dirty mouth

but really i think you can't call a developer a "giant hypocrite" because they add achievements to one version and not the other

that's way more insulting than whatever dumbo thing i said and it's also totally crazy lol

Did you play Beautiful Escape: Dungeoneer? I feel like that could be a game right up your ally
i looked into it, i'll download it cos it says it's just one hour long, but it also seems like a pretty disturbing game and idk if i'm into that stuff

maybe i should use this opportunity to finally watch steins gate

kagamin

Maybe I'm missing something about Monster Hunter, but I was never able to get into that franchise. I remember playing one of them on the PSP (Freedom Unite?) and it felt to me like a plodding, clunky take on stuff like PSU:AotI and Phantasy Star Portable 2. Is that something that changes the more you play, or is it just one of those series that's not going to click with me?

It doesn't really play similar to Phantasy Star's assorted franchises at all, aside from the 4 player co-op, basically its all about properly attacking the monster in the right spots at the right time and dodging unwanted damage, unfortunately the game doesn't really open up for reals until the hardest rank, in this case G-Rank, and many people stop playing because it takes too long to reach the best content.

Also God Eater is much faster playing than MH and is more focused on its faster mobility and weapon speeds, incidentally its coming to Steam too. :p

Asgaro

In unrelated gif...

Holy shii...

OrVBLo9.gif

Went back to a game I'd already finished (Cognition) to mop up the last few achievements. My 33rd perfect game, 8 gigs freed from my hard drive...feels good, man.

Tellaerin

Its not going to click with you. MH is clunky and slow. That game is also a multiplayer-game through and through.

If you play it in SP, its not really fun.

Toukiden or God Eater might be better for you, though the first one also gets boring after 15-20 hours because compared to MH its far too easy. The later bosses are just color swaps of earlier bosses but while in MH those have new attack patterns, new strategies etc. they are just the same boss but with more health.

Ah well. Sounds like the MH games just aren't my thing. I enjoyed God Eater Burst for PSP. Never heard of Toukiden before, though. Thanks for the heads up!

Also God Eater is much faster playing than MH and is more focused on its faster mobility and weapon speeds, incidentally its coming to Steam too. :p

I was just about to say "I'd love to see God Eater come to PC" when I saw your post. This makes me happy.

2016 and I'm still waiting for Vanquish.

I think I'm the only one who wants Anarchy Reigns. :c

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ModBot might be currently broken temporarily, just doing some security upgrades to how account credentials are stored on the moderation side but because the giveaway side uses my account as a bridge, giveaways might break.

Monster Hunter has the structure of a PSO but it's less explicit about how the game has you progressing. It demands player initiative. It gives you more than enough tools to figure out how to get the hunting done.

I really enjoyed MH3 and MH3U. I don't think it's clunky or plodding at all. It's just different.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'd rather have some more older Sega games on Steam as part of the Sega Classics pack, extending it to Master System/Arcade/Saturn/Dreamcast games.

Would buy a version of Power Drift on Steam at launch.

Teggy

If Nvidia is going to push SLI (which they clearly have with the 1080/1070) they need to start making sure developers have it enabled when their big games launch. I shouldn't have to play pretty Doom at 30fps.

Am I the only one who doesn't like monster hunter games?

Nope

2016 and I'm still waiting for Vanquish.

Me too.

I think it was fine, Shadow Warrior on the other hand...

Pretty sure you felt differently at the time when you were playing it.

wolfenstein just won't end

i got 2 levels to go!

Yeah. W:TNO kept going longer than it should. The final boss was terrible too.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Why not both.gif

Come on lads steam would be a great platform to preserve such titles

Would be great, but it's lower on the priority list for me. Though Sega has been making progress on ports over the last few years, we might see games like Resonance of Fate and maybe even Project Diva X by next year if we're lucky.

I'm honestly a bit surprised that Monster Hunter is not more popular than it is. I mean, yeah, the biggest reason is that it's only on the 3DS, but it really is the kind of game that the 'git gud' crowd would love to play. The combat in the game feels amazing. It's highly technical yet still flashy and the feedback is amazing. There's a ton of variety depending on which weapons you choose to play with. There's no handholding and the game never gets easier for you so you literally have to get better at the game to progress. It's awesome to play in multiplayer, especially because you can hunt in short bursts. There's a ton of content to get through, an RNG based gear treadmill to keep you playing and lots of depth.

I know MH4U was the best selling Monster Hunter game in the West but it really deserves more. It's an incredibly well made game and I'm sure people who are hooked to it will say it justifies the cost of the hardware all by itself.

neither does the second

that was your choice

I'm pretty sure you can't avoid it. They come up with the most absurd reason to show it and then you lose control of your character while he pervs out on the girls.

Ozium

I'm pretty sure you can't avoid it. They come up with the most absurd reason to show it and then you lose control of your character while he pervs out on the girls.

I remember him talking about here before and it was regarding Hiyoko. I completed Danganronpa 2 and never once saw anything regarding Hiyoko in a shower

No it wasn't. I didn't know I was gonna see a loli in the shower until it happened.

It's apparently preventable, but I was unlucky enough to trigger it.

lol

mp1990

Banned
Yeah I had no idea such scene existed either :/

I still think DG2 is the better game regardless of it but that's pretty gross.

rtcn63

So the cheapest place to get Doom if you're in the US is somewhat shady-ish CDkeys for $39 (the code doesn't work anymore)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom