• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

I just found out one of the guys I worked with on a TV channel worked with Babymetal on some US tv appareance thing

imma fanboy out on him

Hektor

Do we know wether severed is going to have a steamrelease or not? Since the game is very much bult around touchscreens. otherwise i'd have to buy it for Vita.

It's amazing that people at Gematsu are still salty about PC getting more console RPGs these days. There's always similar arguments on each new PC announcements. I remember that the admin had to lock the comments section for certain franchise in the past, not really remember it.

And it seems people on gaf actually hold the similar sentiment as well if you look at the that 'pathetic' Persona 5 thread bump.

Salsa

Why not?
Anime games tend to not have ridiculous system requirements.

it made more sense when it was announced, now that it's taken so long it just feels weird

I mean, cool and all, im much more likely to get a busted PS3 from someone or have it lent and play it

are PS3s still in production?

It's amazing that people at Gematsu are still salty about PC getting more console RPGs these days. There's always similar arguments on each new PC announcements. I remember that the admin had to lock the comments section for certain franchise in the past, not really remember it.

And it seems people on gaf actually hold the similar sentiment as well if you look at the that 'pathetic' Persona 5 thread bump.

Because those people lost its reason for a console. I mean I had consoles before for all the JRPGs and japanese developed games. In the 360/Ps3 era it became less and less and more and more of those on PC.

Salsa

ChnCXrlU4AM1GDr.jpg

could I possibly be more excited

fucking shit there's nothing like it anymore fuck waiting till November ugh

it made more sense when it was announced, now that it's taken so long it just feels weird

I mean, cool and all, im much more likely to get a busted PS3 from someone or have it lent and play it

are PS3s still in production?

I think Star Ocean 5 looks more demanding than Persona 5, and it's on PS3 as well.

PS3 is a beast!

Because those people lost its reason for a console. I mean I had consoles before for all the JRPGs and japanese developed games. In the 360/Ps3 era it became less and less and more and more of those on PC.

It's just that why can't people accept that the more people play JRPGs the better?
Consoles alone can't support these third party Japanese devs. History has proven it with lots of dead JRPG franchises in the past. Lots of franchises even dead after the glorious PS1/PS2 era.

It's just that why can't people accept that the more people play JRPGs the better?
Consoles alone can't support these third party Japanese devs. History has proven it with lots of dead JRPG franchises in the past. Lots of franchises even dead after the glorious PS1/PS2 era.

Because they think they spent 400$ for "nothing" if their laptop can play those games too...

They dont care about that. Its not really JRPG specific. Imagine if Uncharted would come to Xbox One now. We would have meltdown threads here on GAF, because people wouldnt want other people to play a great game.

Tizoc

Why not?
Anime games tend to not have ridiculous system requirements anyway. And Japanese folks actually still have their PS3.
i still think they ditched the ps3 ver by now then again i mean this in terms of japan
If the ps3 ver is still going well whatevs

Because they think they spent 400$ for "nothing" if their laptop can play those games too...

They dont care about that. Its not really JRPG specific. Imagine if Uncharted would come to Xbox One now. We would have meltdown threads here on GAF, because people wouldnt want other people to play a great game.

Yeah, anything for the console warz.

i still think they ditched the ps3 ver by now then again i mean this in terms of japan
If the ps3 ver is still going well whatevs

PS3 version is still on, it's still listed in the official website.
Not sure about English version though, maybe it'll be Japan only just like Star Ocean 5.

zkylon

zkylewd
lol morningbus

castin Garrett from the original Thief games as Corvo is like the ultimate "fuck you this is THE GAME NOW"
i wonder what changes they'll do but yeah, disho1 was already a really good game and whatever needs fixing is kind of small

i really hope they don't let themselves get held back by consoles this time. i don't care about graphics but stuff like disappearing corpses in a stealth game just feels wrong to me

Salsa

Dishonored is the prime example of a game that can have flaws for many but I love it for em

cause it just went for it. it's very different, it tackles old tropes of stealth games but really amps them up in a way that makes the gameplay just flow really well and makes it joyous to replay over and over

it takes gameplay first but still oozes with style and stands entirely on its own sense of it above even the story itself (which goes hella in-depth if you're looking for that too)

im so glad it's getting a sequel. game's like a fuckin miracle in the midst of AAA. even new Deus Ex (which was great and all) had a franchise to stand on. Dishonored only had the people behind it

I love it. It's fucking brilliant. I love Harvey Smith. videogames are cool

Saty

A lone developer has changed the title of his game following the threat of legal action from Wasteland 2 developer inXile Entertainment.

In a post on The Alien Wasteland's Steam page, Devdan claimed that he attempted to "calmly" explain to inXile that no infringement had taken place due to the games' fundamental differences: one a frenetic first-person shooter, the other an unforgiving tactical RPG.

"But I finally ended up receiving a cease and desist letter from their lawyer asking to either stop using 'Wasteland' or to prepare facing legal actions against me," he said.

"Since I don't have the time or the strength to deal with legal actions from this developer and its lawyers, or even taking the risk of having my game to be took down [sic] from Steam, I decided to change the title to solve this issue, even though this has been a great loss in time and efforts for a very questionable complain [sic]."

The Alien Wasteland is now called Action Alien
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...al-challenge-forces-indie-dev-to-rebrand-game

Salsa

think about the fuckin sound design of Dishonored and how the sound of guards lookin in your way is ingrained in your brain as an instantly recognizable and unique thing that's still totally in line with the game's world

so much fucking care put into it god dammit

it's like ps1 metal gear solid

Knurek

Why are we talking about future Bethesda games in Steam thread?
They will have their own launcher/store any day now, and will probably go the EA way.
(I wonder if future Dishonored featured deals will also use the delisted Dishonored 2 graphic?)

Tizoc

Dishonored 2 should have a 3rd person view option
I liked dis1 but looking back at it i prefer 3rd person giew more

Today in weird news:

inXile Studios (creators of Wasteland 2) C&D'd a one-man indie team's "The Alien Wasteland" due to the name.

RPS explains:
RPS said:
In this instance, the Wasteland 2 devs have, after attempted amicable resolutions failed, done a legal frown at one man studio Dan Games, developer of a shooter named The Alien Wasteland. Or ‘Action Alien,’ as it is now unhappily named. They do claim they will help to promote the game if Dan so wishes, however.

The cease and desist bomb was dropped because their most recent completed game was, of course, the post-apocalyptic RPG Wasteland 2, and they have registered the trademark ‘wasteland’ as part of that. I.E. they are attempting to claim ownership of the common English word ‘Wasteland.’ Oi, Fargo, T.S. Eliot wants a word.
RPS gives further explanation for why this might have happened in their article, but it basically boils down to the broken copyright system. So meet the newly-christened Alien Action!

As an aside, how long until the Wasteland Angel devs realise that inXile has been profiting from their IP and take action?

I'm so conflicted on Cease and Desist letters.

I mean, the very, very basic concept is to identify an issue with legal consequences and say "EVERYONE PUMP THE BRAKES until we can sort this out through the judiciary process." This is a good thing. You don't want something adverse to get a free pass to keep on keeping on while things get drug out.

And then you have these preemptive C&D's with tenuous intellectual property claims that get fired off as quickly as the ink can hit paper because, from a business perspective, it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to protecting your brand.

I'd like to see inXile's side of this. If there's not better explanation than its appearance, hopefully they take a big enough PR hit to back off of this apparent bullshit.

EDIT: Saw LurkerPrime's post.

I wonder what "amicable resolutions" were presented.

Arminsc

Stellaris battle in potato form
ChnZGKkW0AALTR2.jpg:large

and no, I have no idea what's going on either. It's from one of the recent streams, haven't seen it in action yet.

get hype

iirc they said that the battles are managed by the AI. You only control your fleet composition/battle stance so to speak and little else.
Anyways that looks pretty awesome.

mrgone

Today in weird news:

inXile Studios (creators of Wasteland 2) C&D'd a one-man indie team's "The Alien Wasteland" due to the name.

RPS explains:

RPS gives further explanation for why this might have happened in their article, but it basically boils down to the broken copyright system. So meet the newly-christened Alien Action!

As an aside, how long until the Wasteland Angel devs realise that inXile has been profiting from their IP and take action?

They did the same thing to Vlambeer's Wasteland Kings (now Nuclear Throne) a couple of years ago. But they're apparently not going after Bethesda's Wasteland Workshop, hm?

Dishonored 2 is the biggest stealth game of all time confirmed.
They did the same thing to Vlambeer's Wasteland Kings (now Nuclear Throne) a couple of years ago. But they're apparently not going after Bethesda's Wasteland Workshop, hm?

Whoa. I had no idea; I guess I confused it with Mercenary Kings at some point.

These cases always seem like "big fish eats little fish" kind of deals, doing something because it's easy rather than necessary. Unless you're, you know, that Edge guy going after EA because you're insane.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dishonored 2 moving from Unreal to modified IdTech5...

thats-so-raven.jpg

I don't think it's been confirmed that Void is a fork of id Tech 5. One of GI's articles diving into technological advancements seems like a safe bet, though, which should some light on the engine's ancestry.

Edit: Oh, hey, Dishonored 2 and Styx 2 in the same year. One is going to the better stealth game and the other more fun to play.

Edit edit: Ah, "id Tech" is mentioned in the GI magazine feature.

I just found out one of the guys I worked with on a TV channel worked with Babymetal on some US tv appareance thing

Got tickets to see them tomorrow in Boston!

So the Overwatch beta has pulled me away from Tree of Savior, but the timing was fortuitous as I was starting to face a sheer cliff of a grinding wall in ToS. It's one hell of an interesting in game in some ways, and really kind of regressive in others.

I'm so conflicted on Cease and Desist letters.

I mean, the very, very basic concept is to identify an issue with legal consequences and say "EVERYONE PUMP THE BRAKES until we can sort this out through the judiciary process." This is a good thing. You don't want something adverse to get a free pass to keep on keeping on while things get drug out.

And then you have these preemptive C&D's with tenuous intellectual property claims that get fired off as quickly as the ink can hit paper because, from a business perspective, it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to protecting your brand.

I'd like to see inXile's side of this. If there's not better explanation than its appearance, hopefully they take a big enough PR hit to back off of this apparent bullshit.

EDIT: Saw LurkerPrime's post.

I wonder what "amicable resolutions" were presented.

Because it's fun to shit on professional devs for some reason. People will always side with the indie dev.

Even when one of the quotes from the article has the Alien Wasteland dev asking for money to change the name. It honestly sounds like the AW dev wanted to force a C&D for the publicity.

But once those same indie devs start talking about how piracy affects them, then they become as evil as EA.

Driw3r

Unconfirmed Member
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Driw3r, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Body Changer -- MB-0F60F529CC37FFCD - Taken by Henry Swanson. 7 entrants total.

t1462406785z1.png

the body snatcher

Dishonored is a really neat game and I had plenty fun with it. Still, I never felt the need for more of the same. Not sure how to feel about this.

Nzyme32

I don't think it's been confirmed that Void is a fork of id Tech 5. One of GI's articles diving into technological advancements seems like a safe bet, though, which should some light on the engine's ancestry.

Edit: Oh, hey, Dishonored 2 and Styx 2 in the same year. One is going to the better stealth game and the other more fun to play.

Edit edit: Ah, "id Tech" is mentioned in the GI magazine feature.

Wait.. is Styx a stealth game?

If so, I need to buy it

I decided to knock off the final three codes.

Revel in the Official Cthulhu Fucking Simulator 2016.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (HP_Wuvcraft, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

ARMY OF TENTACLES: (Not) A Cthulhu Dating Sim -- MB-A29B2831783CFCC4 - Taken by electroflame
ARMY OF TENTACLES: (Not) A Cthulhu Dating Sim #2 -- MB-51B1F06E541CC2A9 - Taken by Hektor
ARMY OF TENTACLES: (Not) A Cthulhu Dating Sim #3 -- MB-7E1CD40671A88450 - Taken by Kurt Russell

battleborn sold only ~48k copies lmao

Having been sale-shamed a while ago, this isn't cool, dude.

Wait, are you saying "only"?

MUnited83

For you.
I decided to knock off the final three codes.

Revel in the Official Cthulhu Fucking Simulator 2016.

Having been sale-shamed a while ago, this isn't cool, dude.

Wait, are you saying "only"?
Because its a bomba, its a multiplayer title that is going to die very soon. 48k isn't good at all for this type of release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom