• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, not Dawn of War III, no Deathwing, no TotalWarhammer, no Battlefleet Armada, no Eisenhorn but another game set in the Warhammer universe.
Sure must be nice to be a heavy Warhammer fan. Franchise has so darn-many games.

New trailer of W40K: Inquisitor - Martyr

oxDwbOr.gif

It's an action-rpg with heavy focus on physically destructible cover. They're using an in-house engine. Looks interesting.

Pretty surprised to see OddPlanet get a store page. I gave up on waiting for that one ages ago. It was in a Humble Bundle though, so I wonder if we'll get keys.

zkylon

zkylewd
one thing i don't like about overwatch is how poor it is at communicating mission objectives

like all you get is a ATTACK or DEFEND prompt, that's it

sometimes the ATTACK is on a payload cart so i guess you're meant to push it?

but often times you don't even know which mode you're playing until you get out of the base, it's ridiculous

Jawmuncher

one thing i don't like about overwatch is how poor it is at communicating mission objectives

like all you get is a ATTACK or DEFEND prompt, that's it

sometimes the ATTACK is on a payload cart so i guess you're meant to push it?

but often times you don't even know which mode you're playing until you get out of the base, it's ridiculous

Carts move so long as no enemies are by them and you are close to them.
But yeah I could never tell what the mode was until the match started.

zkylon

zkylewd
Carts move so long as no enemies are by them and you are close to them.
But yeah I could never tell what the mode was until the match started.
nah, i know that, but it's just really poorly explained

cart also heals you, but game never tells you that

it's such a polished game that i'm totally surprised this is so weak

Does Overwatch not do the TF2 thing of always highlighting the cart (payload)?

It's been weird how pervasive Payload has become. It's always so difficult to justify outside of TF2's wacky setting. Bet it's weird without engineers, medics, and spies shaking things up.
I'm getting Red Faction Armageddon flashbacks

You were one word away from exciting me immeasureably.

Ozium

how does Styx rate on the Stealth scale?

is it like MGS where you can use stealth but also action
is it like Hitman where can you use stealth and some action, but mostly stealth
or is it like Assassin's Creed which has "stealth" but is mainly an action game

voodooray

I'd rate it as definitely a stealth only game. Trying to confront guards will more than likely get you one shot killed (at least in the parts of the game I've played in 8 hours so far).

Its not Thief Dark Project, but definitely is a fine stealth game. I'd recommend it for sure if that's your thing.

Dr.Social

Banned
So I can't call a game Dinosaur Wasteland? What if I call it Wasteland of Dinosaurs? Reminds me of the Edge bullshit that went on for so long.

You could, but you would end up having to negotiate with Inxile or go to court. For example when Bethesda went after Mojang for the use of "Scrolls" they ended up agreeing that Mojang wouldn't trademark the name and it couldn't compete with the Elder Scrolls series. Since small indie devs probably don't want to get lawyers involved it's easier to agree to Inxile's demand to change the name.

Edge was a slightly different case since that was one guy lying about how his studio, Edge Games, was working on a new game. Apparently he also stole the Edge magazine logo and got sued for that.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Its just stealth

You could, but you would end up having to negotiate with Inxile or go to court. For example when Bethesda went after Mojang for the use of "Scrolls" they ended up agreeing that Mojang wouldn't trademark the name and it couldn't compete with the Elder Scrolls series. Since small indie devs probably don't want to get lawyers involved it's easier to agree to Inxile's demand to change the name.

Edge was a slightly different case since that was one guy lying about how his studio, Edge Games, was working on a new game. Apparently he also stole the Edge magazine logo and got sued for that.

The Scrolls at the Edge of the Dinosaur Wasteland

def sim

All stealth. I'd compare it to the first three splinter cells except with larger, more open levels. You replay through the same areas quite a bit, it can get repetitive.

Ozium

I'd rate it as definitely a stealth only game. Trying to confront guards will more than likely get you one shot killed (at least in the parts of the game I've played in 8 hours so far).

Its not Thief Dark Project, but definitely is a fine stealth game. I'd recommend it for sure if that's your thing.

Its just stealth

All stealth. I'd compare it to the first three splinter cells except with larger, more open levels. You replay through the same areas quite a bit, it can get repetitive.

hmm ok

it seems weird af tho why is it a stealth game but w/ goblins?

weird

zkylon

zkylewd
Does Overwatch not do the TF2 thing of always highlighting the cart (payload)?
you got an arrow pointing in its direction, but yeah, it's both kind of unclear what your goal is (my friend that didn't play tf2 was super confused that ATTACK meant "stand by the truck to push it forward") and sort of difficult to find it on the map.

i like the map designs a lot, they're very open and there's a lot of chokepoints and open areas and places to sneak and climb and turtle but i feel like they could use a lot of visual aids to help you navigate them, specially since it's like tf2 that the objective can be kind of far from when you spawn and you totally can get lost on the way

It's been weird how pervasive Payload has become. It's always so difficult to justify outside of TF2's wacky setting. Bet it's weird without engineers, medics, and spies shaking things up.
personally i think all the other tf2 modes are really boring so you won't see me complaining about payload ever

but idk what u mean about not having engineers, medics and spies. like, overwatch has freaking magic powers and time travel and a giant tank armor dude. i don't get that part of ur post

KingKong

but idk what u mean about not having engineers, medics and spies. like, overwatch has freaking magic powers and time travel and a giant tank armor dude. i don't get that part of ur post

I think he means not being able to use their skills in that mode

Unravel looked really charming pre-release, but the gameplay looked really stale from what I saw. Kinda unsold me on it.
you got an arrow pointing in its direction, but yeah, it's both kind of unclear what your goal is (my friend that didn't play tf2 was super confused that ATTACK meant "stand by the truck to push it forward") and sort of difficult to find it on the map.

i like the map designs a lot, they're very open and there's a lot of chokepoints and open areas and places to sneak and climb and turtle but i feel like they could use a lot of visual aids to help you navigate them, specially since it's like tf2 that the objective can be kind of far from when you spawn and you totally can get lost on the way

personally i think all the other tf2 modes are really boring so you won't see me complaining about payload ever

TF2 actually makes the payload visible from anywhere on the map (as an option, IIRC) highlighting it. Same for the briefcase captures. They added it some time ago, a good change that keeps everyone constantly aware of the objective. Same for hit noises to let you know you're damaging something. Both were great additions.

And re: classes, I guess I'm ignorant to what everyone actually does in Overwatch, but AFAIK there's no real medic/engineer/spy equivalents that break the flow of the game. E.g. the engineer being able to make essentially a nigh-impeneterable chokepoint; the medic being able to render allies invulnerable for a brief period; and the spy with a host of game-changing abilities, from stealth to backstabs. These abilities go beyond just healing or harming players, affecting how the game is played--teams without them suffer mightily.

TF2's arena mode needs to make a comeback somewhere. I still miss it.

derExperte

If someone wants to play some of the Battlefront coop stuff pls call.

Also I've played a few rounds on the Pinball FX2 Force Awakens tables and they're both very good.

Also just watched Force Awakens. Was okay but midway through I felt the urge to stop watching and instead play more pinball.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think he means not being able to use their skills in that mode
everyone's abilities are enabled in every mode lol

i think they're just confused

TF2 actually makes the payload visible from anywhere on the map (as an option, IIRC) highlighting it. Same for the briefcase captures. They added it some time ago, a good change that keeps everyone constantly aware of the objective. Same for hit noises to let you know you're damaging something. Both were great additions.
there's some indicators, it's not like you're totally oblivious, but i feel it's not quite as good as it needs to be

And re: classes, I guess I'm ignorant to what everyone actually does in Overwatch, but AFAIK there's no real medic/engineer/spy equivalents that break the flow of the game. E.g. the engineer being able to make essentially a nigh-impeneterable chokepoint; the medic being able to render allies invulnerable for a brief period; and the spy with a host of game-changing abilities, from stealth to backstabs. These abilities go beyond just healing or harming players, affecting how the game is played--teams without them suffer mightily.
yea, no, it's exactly like that, every character is like that, almost

you got a guy with a big fat shield that it's really hard to take down from the front, so it almost 100% requires someone to get tracer or reaper or pharah and sneak past to kill them. those characters play more like assassins, so they're gonna like get in your face and go after your snipers and your supports

you got straight doctor and engineer champions that are like very similar to tf2, mercy can heal or increase an ally's dmg and she can revive ppl with her ult. engi can place a turret and upgrade it just like in tf2. there's a guy that can turn into a turret and also help turtle just like in tf2. symmetra's ult creates a teleporter like in tf2 which is super strong

if ppl are turtling you can pick d.va and just thrust into ult to nuke their turtling out of orbit and get a free mech as reward

mei can create walls and create huge slowing area that can instantly turn a fight around

there's nothing as cool as spy's disguises but honestly each champion has a bunch of playmaking abilities and feels super different. everyone's game changing, if your team doesn't cover the need for a tank and a support and whatnot you'll notice it tremendously

honestly, it's not a moba, but it's kind of like a moba lol

Endruen

I read similar opinions but man, I could have gone for another 20hrs easily. Loved it all.
It drags on too long for my taste. I don't say it's bad, it's just that I'm getting a bit tired of it.
Sometimes I can't notice, but that's like a lot of Chromatic Aberration, right?
I don't know what it does, but yes, I have it enabled.
EDIT: I just googled it. I guess it's because Alien: Isolation goes for the old movie look. It even has a granulate effect, I disabled it though.

Alright I think I'll stop comparing Overwatch to TF2 until I've played it for myself. I forgot about MOBA-esque abilities units have.

Thanks for the corrections, zkylon.
Oh damn I forgot that was a thing! I loved it also.
Is there any way to play it currently?

It's still there in TF2, but last I checked very few people play it. Most of the servers I try to join have that phantom playercount thing going on. Worse still, my favourite server, sourceop arena or something like that, is a wasteland nowadays.

Crossposting from the monthly indie thread:

header.jpg

In the current version there is only the first act but I feel the core gameplay is already implemented. The game is a mix of base building and turn based RPG, and it works really well. Your base is in an alien base that the humanity discovered, when you start mostly of it will just empty rooms full of debris, so you can assign a character to explore the room, the character can find resources, or random battles. When the battle starts in that place you can choose two more character to fight alongside you, be it random NPC or other character you promote to command a spaceship.

Both kind of battles work similarly, you have many attacks and some of them can debuff the enemy/you, and it's a huge part of the combat because some other attacks will deal more damage if the enemy has a specific debuff, and the same applies to enemy attacks against you.

Besides the base building and the battles, you also have to manage the planets/asteroids belts/black holes that produces resources to you, if an enemy stay for a certain amount of the in the system it gets destroyed and will stop producing the resources you may need.

I still haven't played much of the game to offer a deeper opinion.

--

Also wtf with these huge ad mobile now, they are very annoying.

zkylon

zkylewd
Alright I think I'll stop comparing Overwatch to TF2 until I've played it for myself. I forgot about MOBA-esque abilities units have.

Thanks for the corrections, zkylon.
np

it's very easy to compare to tf2 cos there's a lot of similarities, but to me it feels a lot more dynamic because of how game-changing the ults can be. it feels like the games are always one big play away from turning. it's not that it's super swingy, but some champion abilities when applied properly can 180 the game and i've had a ton of games get decided on overtime. not every game, but it's happened a bunch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom