• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accoun

We seem to have done it differently. But who is right?

xl5gTWA.jpg

fantomena

CoD: AW is so weird for me. I can play the game with 60+ FPS on 4K with everything except supersampling activated in both coop, sp and mp. But in the menus the game lags and freezes sometimes.

That makes it a bit dificulty to make a video, but Im currently in the process of doing so.

Jawmuncher

Isn't carjacking a court-martial offence?
Only if you get caught.

Reminds me of the Kenner action figure line. Maybe we'll get a Jurassic World game in the future - that would be cool.

Everything is resting on Jurassic World now.
At this point we have the highest chance of a lego game oddly enough, since they have the license for sets. TT might also still have the license for the game since their game hasn't been pulled from stores yet. So maybe they'll add a new one to their lineup. I didn't mind the first attempt. But it was evident that they were still trying to find a fit for their style when that came out.

OlliOlli is hard, even the tutorial was hard D:

Also i am disappointed that the 33% off of isaac rebirth was only for pre-order, i though it was for owners of the first isaac but i guess it does not make sense since the first one is ultra cheap. Well, winter sale is not too far..

Yup. Disappointed when I saw the discount removed, now I wish I bought it at that price. :( Any chance it will get a decent discount in the winter sale?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
One thing I'll give Desura over Steam is that activating keys is faster.

And, it's possible to activate them on the web which helps tremendously. Additionally, it's much less confusing when trying to determine a key's status (whether it's used or not) since Desura will tell you whether a key is valid first, then tell you if it's for something already in your account.

r3n4ud

And, it's possible to activate them on the web which helps tremendously. Additionally, it's much less confusing when trying to determine a key's status (whether it's used or not) since Desura will tell you whether a key is valid first, then tell you if it's for something already in your account.
Any plausible reason why Steam hasn't adopted this method?

Lomax

OlliOlli is hard, even the tutorial was hard D:

Also i am disappointed that the 33% off of isaac rebirth was only for pre-order, i though it was for owners of the first isaac but i guess it does not make sense since the first one is ultra cheap. Well, winter sale is not too far..

I'd be willing to bet they'll do a 33% off during the winter sale since that would match the pre-order discount. I think the russian price is around $10 currently as well. It's well worth the $15 though.

They really should have extended the discount through the first week though, I agree. All "pre-order" discounts and deals should at least include the first day on sale in my opinion. Those people are just as much early adopters as the people that bought the day before.

Speaking of Desura, it got bought from Linden Lab by Bad Juju games.
They're promising a lot, we'll see what happens.

So Linden bought them and did nothing with it? Bizarre.
Must have needed to launder some of that dirty Second Life money.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Any plausible reason why Steam hasn't adopted this method?

jshackles hasn't tried to implement it in ES yet.

Turfster stole my line. :)

I'm almost certain it has to do with how it was originally developed and most likely hasn't been touched (much) since then. Valve is pretty notorious for doing things that way. But then again, it seems like this code MUST have been touched as recently as a few months ago when they made it so that redeeming a key also removes the item in question from your wishlist so who knows.

It also boggles my mind that redeeming a key on Steam doesn't place the game in your activity feed ("jshackles now owns ...") since that's essentially free advertising space to your Steam friends for those games.

And the lack of web redemption is kinda silly, considering other sites like Humble can redeem keys to your account via an API, but you can't do this yourself without signing in to the client.

Perhaps they have valid business reasons behind these practices, but I would lay money on it simply being a mindset of "What we have works, so there's no reason to change it".

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

I'm almost certain it has to do with how it was originally developed and most likely hasn't been touched (much) since then. Valve is pretty notorious for doing things that way. But then again, it seems like this code MUST have been touched as recently as a few months ago when they made it so that redeeming a key also removes the item in question from your wishlist so who knows.

It also boggles my mind that redeeming a key on Steam doesn't place the game in your activity feed ("jshackles now owns ...") since that's essentially free advertising space to your Steam friends for those games.

And the lack of web redemption is kinda silly, considering other sites like Humble can redeem keys to your account via an API, but you can't do this yourself without signing in to the client.

Perhaps they have valid business reasons behind these practices, but I would lay money on it simply being a mindset of "What we have works, so there's no reason to change it".

in other words: Volvo gonna Volvo ;)

Lomax

Yeah, this blows my mind more than anything. It seriously took me less time to redeem 20 games on Groupees yesterday than it did redeeming 4 actual keys in the client.

dex3108

I have $4 and some change waiting to be used. If only codes and credit were still compatible.

I wanted to save that credit for GTA V but when they delayed it i decided to use it for something else. And when GMG added ACU Gold Edition in VIP section that was too good to be passed :D

I was thinking about making a redeem-on-Steam site but the redeem API is private, though I'd think that they are freeding it sometime soon as more and more bundle sites seem to have it.

jshackles

So, laziness. Gotcha :/

After visiting their offices and seeing the size of their staff, I'd attribute it more to them being understaffed than laziness.

I also feel like these sorts of changes are typically the direct result of the developers themselves coming up with the ideas then implementing them, given the nature of how Valve's organization is structured. I totally agree that it's a better system then these sorts of changes being dictated to them by some sort of management structure, but I feel like they need to bring in new people with new ideas every now and again if they want to continue innovating.

I was thinking about making a redeem-on-Steam site but the redeem API is private, though I'd think that they are freeding it sometime soon as more and more bundle sites seem to have it.

I inquired about the API myself, because I wanted to add a web dialog to Enhanced Steam to allow people to redeem keys via the site. I was told that this API would remain private and would only be available to "approved partners".

r3n4ud

After visiting their offices and seeing the size of their staff, I'd attribute it more to them being understaffed than laziness.

I also feel like these sorts of changes are typically the direct result of the developers themselves coming up with the ideas then implementing them, given the nature of how Valve's organization is structured. I totally agree that it's a better system then these sorts of changes being dictated to them by some sort of management structure, but I feel like they need to bring in new people with new ideas every now and again if they want to continue innovating.

I inquired about the API myself, because I wanted to add a web dialog to Enhanced Steam to allow people to redeem keys via the site. I was told that this API would remain private and would only be available to "approved partners".
Well then, Gabe needs a kick in the ass and get with the times instead on staying in the status-quo. I mean, how hard can it be to implement key redeeming like Desura?

jshackles

Well then, Gabe needs a kick in the ass and get with the times instead on staying in the status-quo. I mean, how hard can it be to implement key redeeming like Desura?

Not hard at all. Like I said, I could do it with Enhanced Steam if I had access to their already available API.

chronomac

I don't know if anyone posted this, but Kotaku has some interesting details on the new GTA V:
  • On PS4, the light bar will flash red and blue when you're being chased by the cops.
  • Also on PS4, you can touch the touchpad to switch modes between first- and third-person. There will be a few options to control when the game's in first-person and when it switches back to third - you can have it so that shooting is in first-person but it snaps back to third-person when you're in cover, for instance.
  • Police radio and phone calls are now emitted by the DualShock 4's speaker.
  • You can create first-person-only missions in GTA Online.
I hope that the Dualshock 4-specific additions will translate to the DS4 when used on the PC version.

madjoki

It more like they don't want. Maybe they fear possible abuse ('bureforce' testing keys).

jshackles

It more like they don't want. Maybe they fear possible abuse ('bureforce' testing keys).

There are already measures in place to prevent an account from attempting to redeem too many keys in a specific time period. There's no reason to believe that these same safeguards wouldn't be in place for web redemption as well.

[/I]I hope that the Dualshock 4-specific additions will translate to the DS4 when used on the PC version.

And I hope the game will run properly on a PC. I think you have higher standards.

I think you need to prepare your own bundles. ENHANCED BUNDLES!

sensoft04

Banned
There are already measures in place to prevent an account from attempting to redeem too many keys in a specific time period. There's no reason to believe that these same safeguards wouldn't be in place for web redemption as well.

Many websites have it to prevent possible abuse so even if you give the right combination it would still say its wrong.

chronomac

And I hope the game will run properly on a PC. I think you have higher standards.

I think you need to prepare your own bundles. ENHANCED BUNDLES!

Max Payne 3 ran and scaled well on PC, so I have hope Rockstar will put forth some effort with the PC version, especially since it was delayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom