• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.
this unsurprisingly made a lot of sense.

Are they removing games and re-adding them or something?
Once upon a time I used to know what being EA meant but now.. I'm not so sure anymore.

EA hasn't added any game back to steam since they started release their new stuff only on Origin. I *think* that the only exception was Crysis 2, but i have a terrible memory and i could be wrong.

Jasec is very helpful most of the time, not to mention knowledgeable in all steam matters, you chose your target wrongly.
and as for accent on a certain actress, nobody is perfect (><)

I choose to PM him after I said please PM me (which he choose to ignore seemingly), and even told him he's somewhat helpful at times. I get that JaseC might be some sort of celeb in this community, but threats and people saying 'chose your target wrongly' all create an image of someone who believes they're better than everyone else. I get it.

chronomac

Already owned this one. It's not bad:

ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chronomac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Urban Trial Freestyle -- MB-8DF26089223729E2 - Taken by crimsonheadGCN. 5 entrants total.

t1415303955z1.png

I choose to PM him after I said please PM me (which he choose to ignore seemingly), and even told him he's somewhat helpful at times. I get that JaseC might be some sort of celeb in this community, but threats and people saying 'chose your target wrongly' all create an image of someone who believes they're better than everyone else. I get it.

It's also improper form to run into a topic and start vainly accusing people, regardless of whether they deserve it or not. I thought that someone with 15,000 posts under his (metaphorical) belt would know this better than anyone.

This really gotta be a mistake. I don't believe for a moment that Ubisoft would remove their games from Steam after seemingly patching uPlay to play nicer with it.

I don't think you do :(

It's also improper form to run into a topic and start vainly accusing people, regardless of whether they deserve it or not. I thought that someone with 15,000 posts under his (metaphorical) belt would know this better than anyone.

Who accused who now?

I don't think you do :(

Please tell me exactly what I don't get.

I don't want uplay. If Ubi get out of Steam I'll get their games from Origin if need be but not from uplay.
By the way the Origin Thread is still on Gaming and not Gaming Community. Guess the big move missed it.

uplay points unlocking rewards is nice.

Dr Dogg

Just what I was thinking lol. Still hoping for a pricing error on FC4 or atleast Unity.

Well Freedom Cry did get an error when Japan got Yen added to the store so who know. I'm probably going to be keeping one eye on it tonight for starters.

I don't want uplay. If Ubi get out of Steam I'll get their games from Origin if need be but not from uplay.
By the way the Origin Thread is still on Gaming and not Gaming Community. Guess the big move missed it.

Can one person posting in a thread make a community? :p

Oh wow, haha.
I just went to the origin store and you can still purchase Assassin's Creed Unity there, jeez.
I really do have to wonder what is going on at Ubisoft.

Arthea

what? That was said in jokingly matter, hence "target"
He is "celeb" as you put it exactly because he's helpful. I don't understand, are you jelly or something? Be helpful and nice instead of snarky, we'll like you as much, promise ;)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I've mostly written Ubisoft off as a PC developer anyway because even though their games are on Steam you still need the Uplay program and their pricing is ridiculous. Watch Dogs was on sale last weekend and it was still $36. I picked up a copy to play on the PS4 for about half that. Typically games are discounted elsewhere for pretty cheap (with Uplay keys) but often get ignored on Steam. I think the last sale for Black Flag was 33% off, despite the game being discounted elsewhere multiple times prior down to $20 or less.

So I'm not that sad to see Ubisoft leave Steam, if that is indeed what's happening.

Shadownet

Banned
EA hasn't added any game back to steam since they started release their new stuff only on Origin. I *think* that the only exception was Crysis 2, but i have a terrible memory and i could be wrong.
I think EA did something good recently, I just can't remember what. I was shocked. EA did something good for gamers? w0t?

Who accused who now?
I'm not 100% sure what your problem is man. I haven't been here long but JaseC been nothing but helpful to everyone. He's one of the few people on here that you can count on 99% of the time to have an answer for your Steam related problems/questions.

It's honestly seems like you're just looking for unnecessary drama.

I've mostly written Ubisoft off as a PC developer anyway because even though their games are on Steam you still need the Uplay program and their pricing is ridiculous. Watch Dogs was on sale last weekend and it was still $36. I picked up a copy to play on the PS4 for about half that. Typically games are discounted elsewhere for pretty cheap (with Uplay keys) but often get ignored on Steam. I think the last sale for Black Flag was 33% off, despite the game being discounted elsewhere multiple times prior down to $20 or less.

So I'm not that sad to see Ubisoft leave Steam, if that is indeed what's happening.

Don't worry they have written all of us off years ago since we are just dirty pirates.

Spyware

I get that JaseC might be some sort of celeb in this community, but threats and people saying 'chose your target wrongly' all create an image of someone who believes they're better than everyone else. I get it.
No. You were accusing a person who is mostly on-topic (and when off, mostly in replies and/or together with on-topic stuff) and helpful of being well.. i don't know what. But it wasn't nice nor true (imho). Which means you're targeting a person who is not what you are describing. Therefore, the wrong target of your anger or whatever it is.

Of telling someone they have a "cult of personality" or insinuating that they control the other users in this topic.

You pick.

I see...

So just because I don't post as often as someone else, I'm running into a topic and have less right to post. I see. I've posted in and out of the Steam threads for years. Are you denying that there isn't a cult of personality around JaseC and the avatar? Are you ignoring that JaseC has said I 'curb your attitude' when I simply suggested he should ask in the dedicated thread?

I'm not denying that JaseC is helpful, and he will tell you himself I mentioned this in the PM I sent him. I don't mind that at all, it's the avatar stuff I'm tired of, as it's been going on for years and seems to be whenever I look in the thread - so perhaps I have real bad timing.

So am I to take it that everyone in the community is fine with avatar talk in general? That we could all start talk about Neil Patrick Harris and posting pictures about him all the time too, for example.
I mean this topic gets discussed nearly every month at one point, so I can't be the only one who's slightly fed up with seeing the cult around JaseC's avatar. I find equally odd that there is now a dedicated thread for her, but it's seemingly rarely used (according to JaseC himself). Does this person in the avatar have any connection to Steam? Or is the only connection JaseC (which would indeed suggest a cult of personalty).

Alavard

Black Flag was 50% off during the AC day of the Summer Sale, actually.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

POWER UP -- MB-45E88020B75E4A3F - Taken by Cth
WINDFORGE -- MB-AED39EBD026D8AA9 - Taken by Shadownet

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If Ubisoft's recent moves aren't mistakes, I think it is important to clarify that this is slightly different from what EA did. EA suddenly stopped supporting Steam in favor of Origin and removed titles that were already released.

The writing has been on the wall for a while, though. Here's me earlier in the year talking about uPlay:

Make no mistake: Origin and uPlay really started ramping up at the same time and they reflect two different philosophies that would hopefully (for the company) result in the same end goal. Origin from the start was about restricting the sale of EA games to a separate ecosystem, hoping the strength of EA's I.P. would be enough to sway consumers. uPlay, on the other hand, was all about the trojan horse model. Get the client on as many computers as possible, silently build up a library of games to lessen the barrier of "switching," and eventually get people comfortable enough to start buying directly through the client.

We don't know the long-term plan, though.

Ubisoft took a different approach than EA, but ultimately it is towards the same end, I believe. Unlike Origin, which attempted to force people to switch over to their service by having exclusivity on major releases, uPlay is trojan-horsing itself onto gamers' machines.

Eventually, I think Ubisoft will begin to release its major games exclusively on the platform and when that time comes people won't even have to think about downloading another client as they'll already have it.

Of course this is my theory for the beginning of uPlay and plans may have changed since then.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Black Flag was 50% off during the AC day of the Summer Sale, actually.

Which made it even stranger that it wasn't even discounted that much recently when it was on sale.

Because I'm feeling charitable and harbor no ill will towards you (and don't want to see this thread bogged down by threadshitting), I'll respond.

So just because I don't post as often as someone else, I'm running into a topic and have less right to post.

No. I'm saying that anyone who barges into a thread and insults people with little provocation deserves to be called out on it. I'd expect the same from others if I did the same thing.

Are you denying that there isn't a cult of personality around JaseC and the avatar? Are you ignoring that JaseC has said I 'curb your attitude' when I simply suggested he should ask in the dedicated thread?

Your point is irrelevant. Jase is a notable member because he's helpful and courteous to others, just like many of the posters in these threads are. You could say the same thing about a lot of other members with notable avatars - their discussion is playful and in good fun in times when there are no sales or a lack of news.

It's the avatar stuff I'm tired of, as it's been going on for years and seems to be whenever I look in the thread - so perhaps I have real bad timing.

The way to discuss that is through a tactful approach, not running in and suddenly proclaiming that you're against everyone because you perceive one of the members to have developed a "cult". As far as I'm concerned, everyone in here is equal. I suggest you drop the matter, because it's extraneous and taking away space right now from topics that are more important.

Let's get back to the topic at hand - how much Ubisoft sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom