• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

wtf seriously, I mean what's the reasoning behind this one? Not happy at all, considering we made the changes to be more game focused earlier this year and having news as well.

Turfster

wtf seriously, I mean what's the reasoning behind this one? Not happy at all, considering we made the changes to be more game focused and having news as well.

They moved all the gaming threads to community (the SONY aggregate one, etc) to try and save it... again... or something.

wtf seriously, I mean what's the reasoning behind this one? Not happy at all, considering we made the changes to be more game focused earlier this year and having news as well.

Community threads take too much space from pressing matters on the gaming side such as: a guy sells thing on ebay, is wrong because ethics in games journalism. Also Community is not a punishment and we hope that moving shitloads of things to community makes the graveyard cherish once again, with skeletons dancing with flowers in their ears while singing we are the world

in other related news: Finished my thesis! Gonna go eat a hamburger or something! PARTY ON

Don't be ridiculous. The focus of the last 10+ Steam OT's has been largely inter-community discussion, especially with the advent of Modbot. This is a community-ass community thread.

Embrace it, and embrace
DRAGON THE GAME

Knurek

Community threads take too much space from pressing matters on the gaming side such as: a guy sells thing on ebay, is wrong because ethics in games journalism. Also Community is not a punishment and we hope that moving shitloads of things to community makes the graveyard cherish once again, with skeletons dancing with flowers in their ears while singing we are the world

Pretty much this.
Pity Stump hasn't posted here since the move, wonder what his opinion on the move is.

The Steam recommendations doesn't make any sense

dPIkQ59.png
Both of them have bouncy balls?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone can tell me something about the newest IGS deal?

Looks to be a RPG Maker version of Uncharted Waters trading type game? Might be worth $1...

I was going to get really hyped about the UW part until I realized that I already own it through a bundle :D

Now hopefully it makes it through Greenlight. I could always use another single player UW-style game to play.

On the bright side, it's not directly our fault. If you want to know why from the one of the mods, here's the entire Minsc saga discussing why we were moved.

Sorry for the rough wake up, but as you can see we're trying something new. Less general-platform-type year-round (via repeating monthly / when needed or just staying yearly in a thread), all-encompassing threads in Gaming, more actual specific, this is happening right now type gaming threads. Community isn't supposed to be a dead place where threads go to disappear, so maybe this will liven up the Community forums as well.

At least you know exactly what those threads are discussing, which with these general purpose threads, is a lot less clear, and there are so many of them, they seem better fitted to being subscribed to and existing in a place that doesn't take up the front page of Gaming.

Things can (and probably will) change, but they seem to be better fitted to community. The purpose is really to post screens more than discussion (unless I'm mistaken), and they are very general threads that can clutter up the main gaming page over an indefinite amount of time (the entire year).

We'll see how it works out. Maybe things will return, I'm not sure. New things happening should get new threads if you want to discuss them. They do already get them anyway, so little should change right?

It's not a bad idea, I'll see if someone more more versed / authoritative wants to when more are around. For now, think of it as something overdue to clean up the Gaming forums a little, which may or may not change, we'll see how it works. Like others said, it is along the lines of the direction change a while back.

Yakkue

I just completed Hatoful Boyfriend.
goodmorningeverybirdi3nsod.png

Holy cow. This game is completely insane in the best way possible.

Going after all the silly endings with the different birds is fun and all, but the endgame is where this game truly shines. I didn't expect this at all. I urge everyone to play through this game completely, your mind will be blown.
Anyway.
You play as Hiyoko Tosaka, a human girl that is lusting after the birds she goes to school with. Hiyoko is the only human in a school full of birds.
stpigeonnationjdsrs.png
swimmingthso2.png

You spend your time at school focusing your attention on basically every male bird you come across. In order to impress your love interest, you can increase your stats through taking school classes. Being a Visual Novel, your dialogue choices also determine which ending you get. Some birds offer more than one ending, so you're going to have to romance them in a different way again. But don't worry, you can fast forward through the parts you already played earlier if you want to, and only read the parts where you make new decisions.
edelblauadsla.png
okosanpudding7asgm.png

My favourite routes were probably the completely crazy Anghel and the creepy doctor, but the others were fun as well.

That's basically what the game is about. Until you unlock all the endings and the true game begins that is, but I can't really say anything about that without spoiling it.
Let's just say the school isn't as nice a place as it might seem in the beginning...
schoolrumourj8sjr.png

The writing is excellent. It ranges from utterly hilarious to gutwrenchingly sad. Whoever is able to write such a silly dating sim and then put this amazing story at the end of it is a genius. It's a shame a lot of people seem to give up on the game after a couple of endings, without seeing the truth behind it all.

There are a handful of spelling and formatting mistakes, but not so many that it would hurt the enjoyment of the game (except the japanese one. Not being able to read the text at all is kind of bad).
mistakeenglish3sgs1c.png
mistakejapanesewgsy9.png

If you're still unsure whether the game could interest you, maybe this extremely spoilery picture from the endgame can help you make up your mind.

In the end, there is only one thing left to say.
holeheartarcadedhsnq.png

MRORANGE

I still don't understand this, these threads are pretty much community material but are still in gaming:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480757
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=919663
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614511
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509554

+ ton's of more.

What's the actual decision making in this process to say what is community or not? From the looks of it they just took the DD threads and just dumped them into community.

Chariot

I still don't understand this, these threads are pretty much community material but are still in gaming:

What's the actual decision making in this process to say what is community or not? From the looks of it they just took the DD threads and just dumped them into community.
Jawmuncher collected the actual mod quotes regarding the topic for us.

+ ton's of more.

Take it up with a mod, man.

Discussing it here, in this little community, is further reinforcing the decision... At least, that's how I see it.

Nabs

But those graphics... It looks as bad as Divekick.

You should not buy Lethal League. I don't think you're worthy.

---

New Lethal League update:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/261180/announcements

tumblr_inline_nd89kjJjhp1s7y2zz.png

This update adds a new character to the Lethal roster, Dice, the cunning ping pong player. Dice wields an average ping pong paddle with such immense force and control that he’s able to deflect and give a spin to almost anything at any speed.

And there’s more! All characters can now use expressions, like NICE or BRING IT. Added to that is a character unique animation. A new mode has been added called ‘Strikers’, give it a spin by switching the 'Free For All' tab and see what that is all about. Another reason to start ballin' again is the raised XP level, going up to 33 now with new palettes and a special ball as reward.

Another addition is a new stage called ‘State Manufacturing Facility’ which has quite a different size than other stages and includes a brain-damaging track by artist Ishanna. New music can also be found in the menu with another track by Dr. Lazer. Several specific character changes have also happened, be sure to check them all out!

Changelog:

Character changes

+Added a new character, Dice
+All characters can now use expressions with the Express action and a direction
+All characters can now do a express animation
+Sonata can now use her special move backwards
+Raptor can now bunt out of his special
+Raptor can now wallslide
+Added a new aerial down angle for Candyman
+Candyman’s re-candyball now has reduced hitpause
*Candyballs now have a maximum speed
*Candyman now fastfalls slightly faster
-Candyman no longer automatically re-candyballs a candyball from a different team
*Latch’s special can’t be re-aimed at the very last moment anymore and has slightly different timing

Additions
+Raised the maximum level to 33, with new unlockables along the way
+Added Strikers mode, you can toggle Strikers mode by pressing the Free For All team toggle button.
+Added the Gravity Ball as new unlockable ball
+ Added a new stage ‘State Manufacturing Factory’
+ Added a new menu track ‘Turkish Mix’ by Doctor Lazer.
+ Added a new track ‘Error’ by Ishanna for the ’State Manufacturing Factory’ stage

Other changes
*Fixed an issue where infinite point mode would not work for team games.
*Fixed an issue where aborting a game started through versus mode with teams enabled would cause the host of a game to be able to swap team palette colors instead of the regular free for all palettes.
*Fixed an issue with main menu highlighting when using a mouse to navigate.
*Choosing a character for a CPU player now uses the same highlighting scheme as a regular player.
+You can now ready in an online lobby by pressing the start button.
+ You are now be able to change color by pressing a character portrait you have selected again.

Nzyme32

+ ton's of more.

The decision is apparently based on wanting threads with content relevant to "what's happening now" threads to be in gaming discussion, while "catch all" threads and ageing OTs are moved here.

I would suggest making a specific Steam News thread for just identifying new games / updates and nothing more, but I don't think mods want that either

Turfster

Not getting Lethal League because it's local multi only and all my friends are on the other side of the world.
I should do a kickstarter to get enough money so they can all move here.

MRORANGE

The decision is apparently based on wanting threads with content relevant to "what's happening now" threads to be in gaming discussion, while "catch all" threads and ageing OTs are moved here.

I would suggest making a specific Steam News thread for just identifying new games / updates and nothing more, but I don't think mods want that either

Those links should be in community then.

No real new news is coming from those threads and it's pretty much the same as the Steam thread, heck the RETRO-AGE threads are still in gaming.:

I mean there not really relevant news at all...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
since AW is crashing like a motherfucker, decided to go back to Ryse a bit. Such a strange game.

The tech behind it is ridiculous, its probabky the best looking game ive ever seen, at least when it comes to models and facial animation. The voice acting is actually really good aswell, but its all burried under this super repetitous, super linear game, with combat that, while satisfying, has little going for it since its basically the Batman combat, which works fine in a open game where combat isnt really the focus, but just cannot carry a game by itself.

but fuck me does it look pretty, man oh man

So i came back hoping to read whats on some things on people's wish list for fallout 4 after I made my post. Wow you guys want some really neat things!
:(

Nabs

50% off so soon? Bomba?

It was released in August. By regular Indie standards it would be in 3 bundles by now. It also sold way beyond expectations in the first few weeks, so it's definitely not a bomba.

Is the netcode good enough for transcontinental gameplay tho =p
The stuff in the discussion threads doesn't fill me with hope.

It's GGPO, so it can handle quite a bit. I doubt the game is right for you, but all my SpeedRunners brothers/sisters should definitely pick this up.

Coreda

No real new news is coming from those threads and it's pretty much the same as the Steam thread, heck the RETRO-AGE threads are still in gaming.

I'm not sure it's that black and white, as the decision seems to have originally stemmed from the stickied thread about OTs posted day of release, where bish liked the idea of the mega threads with a lot of chit-chat being moved to Community. Although at that point it didn't look like the Steam threads would be affected. Now the word is it's a behind the scenes change of policy regarding the 'platform' OTs, previously staying in Gaming.

Also to be fair the Retro-Age threads aren't constantly appearing on the first page like the other mega threads that have since been moved, and would likely die off considerably otherwise unlike these threads which continue to be popular even post-move.

The SmashGAF threads I'll never understand though. Even Steve Youngblood called them 'an anomaly', and mentioned they mostly continued in Gaming due to the "vocal" fans.

But those graphics... It looks as bad as Divekick.
Just no, it's a marked step up from Divekick. The graphics are fine for what it is: has a neat aesthetic to it, barring the clashing color schemes for the characters' palette swaps.

For those that keep saying Kevin Spacey look like wax. Trust me. It doesn't in game. The pictures really doesn't do the game justice.

Though I haven't been able to play the game cause the cutscenes are fucked up. The sounds slow down and shutter a lot.
Not really. Seen it in motion, Kevin Spacey still looks like wax on top of Advanced Warfare already looking outdated like every Call of Duty preceeding it.

Well, I haven't visited this thread ever since I got into Fallout New Vegas. When did we get move to community?

And honestly, it was just matter of time. I am pretty sure I remember Evilore posting about moving us to Community.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Grid Autosport and Lethal League for 10€? dont mind if I do

Mother Russia

Sesha

Anyone know how to enable online co op / host a server for Risk of Rain on Mac? I'm scouring the web and so far nothing.

Tizoc

MRORANGE, guys, if any thread is still in GD but not community, when it should be due to the recent movings, then it is because the Mods hadn't gotten around to moving those specific threads.

r3n4ud

God damn it, Jazzpunk is truly making me want to puke.
Hadn't had that in an FPP game ever since Quake 1 days...
Ah man, seriously? That's the reason why I've not finished Shadow Warrior :(

Game makes me extremely nauseous and gives me a terrible headache. Frustrating indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom