• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
A high-tech supersoldier's going to have a reticle projected in his HUD showing him exactly what his weapon's pointed at, enabling him to fire accurately from the hip. It's the kind of tech we want to develop in the real world.

Likewise, some sort of high-tech cyborg isn't going to get winded after a short sprint. He'll probably be able to run flat out indefinitely without tiring. A speed burst is redundant when you can already run at max speed forever just by holding the stick all the way forward.
wioudln't you want to like

not have more tech to kill people -__-

If you thought Arkham Origins is good, you'll absolutely adore Remember Me. It's like Arkham Origins, only good.
Why does Turfster feel the need to constantly shit on DRAGON THE GAME?

The only thing that could possibly disdain DRAGON THE GAME that much is, in fact, ANOTHER DRAGON. Possibly a rival or potential mate.

Wait, DRAGON THE GAME is actually a real thing? I thought it was a joke construct all this time...

Here's its store page for those in the same boat: http://store.steampowered.com/app/305960/

It even has a GAF thread about it.

Jawmuncher

Just finished Medal of Honor Warfighter.
SP wise a bit surprised that it was reviewed so harshly. Its nothing amazing by any means but I would say its a decent Modern War FPS for those who like them. Better than BF3&4 campaigns by miles.

Well worth the 5 bucks its on sale for often come the holidays which is what I bought it for. Would say story wise MOH1 still wins but here it does the job it needs to. Though the female CG faces are horrifying.

Pachimari

Is it hard to install the graphical mods for GTA IV?

I'm especially thinking about the iCEnhancer and such. And will the game even be playable or will there be too huge framerate dips during missions?

Jawmuncher

being better than bf3 campaign isn't that much of a praise doe

Better than both BF3 and BF4 SP.
Not much else to compare to besides COD which I would say it lines up to some of those campaigns much like MOH1 did just not as Michael Bay as those.

Kiru

Is it hard to install the graphical mods for GTA IV?

I'm especially thinking about the iCEnhancer and such. And will the game even be playable or will there be too huge framerate dips during missions?

Tell me if it even works out for you. I heard you need to downgrade GTV IV for iCEnhancer to work, and even if you do so, Steam will always update to the latest version before starting the game. Offline mode will probably prevent it from happening. Haven't tried that stuff myself.
why are there so many fucking red letters on this page
Because DRAGON THE GAME is important.

Jawmuncher

BF3 campaign was good, at least the plot was something "new". I liked that more then Advanced Warfare (plot side).
BF4 is just horrible, I took it while in the "free to play for 168 hours", the game crashed so much, then my character got stucked under the ground on the fifth mission, reloading the checkpoint didn't work, so I just uninsyalled it.

I don't think we played the same game.
Everything about BF3 was a snore fest.

Monooboe

Hey SteamGAF, feels like I've been away way too long. I hope you all been good!

I did get my Oculus Rift DK2 that I mentioned awhile back and I promised I would come with some impression. More on that later but here you have some initial quick thoughts on it.

First hour my mind was blown and I sat there giggling for myself. After the first hour I started to get really motionsick and had to lie down. I never get motionsick otherwise in real life.

The resolution was actually way worse than I though it would be. Unplayable for games.

Buggy as hell, which I knew it would be but still.

With that said, I am hyped for it! VR is going to be awesome and hopefully big. I really want future to have it in it in a huge way.

Tellaerin

wioudln't you want to like

not have more tech to kill people -__-

In an ideal world, we wouldn't fight wars at all. But for that to happen, human nature would have to change in a fundamental way. I think we're still a long way from that happening. (Hell, just look at Gandhi in the Civ games. >.> )

MRORANGE

I sent that email to Bish/Stump. I doubt they respond much on these matters from my previous experience:

Change in policy regarding DD threads in Gaming/Community.

(PM sent to Bish/Stump)

So recently it came to notice that DD/Platform threads as well as a few other threads were moved from Gaming to the Community section, this was done without any real discussion with members of GAF on why these changes were occurring and quite frankly seem to be erratic in terms of execution.

Afterwards we did receive a few statements from Minsc on the matter:

Originally Posted by Minsc
Sorry for the rough wake up, but as you can see we're trying something new. Less general-platform-type year-round (via repeating monthly / when needed or just staying yearly in a thread), all-encompassing threads in Gaming, more actual specific, this is happening right now type gaming threads. Community isn't supposed to be a dead place where threads go to disappear, so maybe this will liven up the Community forums as well.

At least you know exactly what those threads are discussing, which with these general purpose threads, is a lot less clear, and there are so many of them, they seem better fitted to being subscribed to and existing in a place that doesn't take up the front page of Gaming.

Things can (and probably will) change, but they seem to be better fitted to community. The purpose is really to post screens more than discussion (unless I'm mistaken), and they are very general threads that can clutter up the main gaming page over an indefinite amount of time (the entire year).

We'll see how it works out. Maybe things will return, I'm not sure. New things happening should get new threads if you want to discuss them. They do already get them anyway, so little should change right?

It's not a bad idea, I'll see if someone more more versed / authoritative wants to when more are around. For now, think of it as something overdue to clean up the Gaming forums a little, which may or may not change, we'll see how it works. Like others said, it is along the lines of the direction change a while back.

The main problem with this is because the Steam thread is a monthly thread it’s assumed that it is less likely to have current gaming news. However the Steam thread it does often have news on daily prices, updates and changes to Steam which would never be posted in the main gaming forums as it would easily get lost but are still quite important hence why people check the Steam forums for this information.

Moving it to Community has a negative impact as we lose members in the long-run, the Steam thread has a long history of members who come and go, some who are very beneficial to the thread and help us keep it relevant, by moving it to community we are relying on members to help post news and keep out an eye on pc events. Gaming side has been especially important for this growth and we’ve gotten new and helpful members in this process, it’s unlikely new members or non0-member to venture into Community as much which puts the thread into risk in the long run as a news/update thread.

The other problem is that the ruling is still very ‘off’ in what you want in Gaming, for instance: you demoted screenshots threads in community but we still have threads like these:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462902
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369866
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442713

Same goes for DD/platform threads, they were all moved to community, but for some reason these were fine to have in Gaming:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480757
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614511

And then we have gaming specific hype/community threads that should really be in community:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=616046
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=869186
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=924211
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=923575
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491431
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=919663
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483428

Some of these threads are Megathreads but are still allowed in Gaming, Smash Bros is a classic example in which it feels like how the Steam thread is but it’s a allowed a pass in Gaming, on the other side we have a Mass Effect appreciation thread that’s 70 pages, as well as RETRO-AGE threads that are not really relevant gaming news. Overall the ruling seems very pick and mix on what is deemed current.

It’s quite annoying that we got moved without any notice, especially to the changes in the Steam thread to be more gaming focused with info on upcoming titles which members write reviews on a monthly basis, who help gaffers finding interesting new games each month, something that is rarely done in gaming as their voice can easily get lost in the tirade of constant new threads. It would have been better if we had an open discussion on how these changes were going to be carried out and how to minimize the impacts.

Overall the Steam thread is relevant on a daily basis considering that Steam is pretty much the de-facto standard to obtain PC news on GAF. It has a large userbase of many members who contribute with finding deals as well as new members who join us and help contribute to the thread, this includes devs and people who help vastly knowledgeable about Steam and it’s workings. It’s a shame that this thread has been moved as a way to salvage the Community side.

Jawmuncher

About to tackle the ME3 DLC. Forgot I owned it all on 360 and never played it.
Hoping they're all good or that citadel makes up for all of them.
Also Bioware, still waiting on you to have a sale on those shitty Bioware Points on PC.

Knurek

Everything about BF3 was a snore fest.

The nuke explosion moment was fun.
Of course the nuke explosion moment in BF4 is way better.

Also Bioware, still waiting on you to have a sale on those shitty Bioware Points on PC.

Everything except for the Omega is great.
From Ashes makes the game way more funny, Leviathan spruces up the lore, Citadel is like ambrosia.

Deitus

Naah, maybe you played multiplayer :D

What? The multiplayer for BF3 was actually really good, aside from the bullshit COD style unlockables that made it tough for new players.

The single player campaign was terrible though. Not just a generic COD wannabe campaign, that had absolutely nothing resembling Battlefield in it, but it was poorly designed on top of that.

Jawmuncher

I said multiplayer because I don't play ANY multiplayer game, not because isn't good :p
But ehy, I liked BF3 campaign, so it wasn't so bad :(

I'll give it to you though.
Since I know that feel when RE6 is up for discussion.
Love that campaign even though its apparently crap to EVERYONE just about.

zkylon

zkylewd
SteamGAF decide what I play next please:
Alan Wake
or
Batman Arkham City
alan wake is something original, arkham city is just more asylum, so i vote for alan wake

In an ideal world, we wouldn't fight wars at all. But for that to happen, human nature would have to change in a fundamental way. I think we're still a long way from that happening. (Hell, just look at Gandhi in the Civ games. >.> )
yea i mean i get that but we don't have to enjoy it

i will never get people that like guns

I sent that email to Bish/Stump. I doubt they respond much on these matters from my previous experience:
sounds ok, tho i think it would actually be reasonable to have all the threads you've quoted in community

Tellaerin

Please tell me you already had From Ashes. ME3's just not the same without Javik. And yes, Citadel makes up for everything.

Jawmuncher

The nuke explosion moment was fun.
Of course the nuke explosion moment in BF4 is way better.

Everything except for the Omega is great.
From Ashes makes the game way more funny, Leviathan spruces up the lore, Citadel is like ambrosia.

Were the expanded endings worth watching?
Remember that came out right after I had deployed and I never went back to see.
Suppose I could just watch them on youtube I guess. But with where ME4 is going seems kinda pointless.

Please tell me you already had From Ashes. ME3's just not the same without Javik. And yes, Citadel makes up for everything.

Yes I did already have him so I was able to beat the game with him.
It's the main reason why I bought the CE.

Knurek

Were the expanded endings worth watching?
Remember that came out right after I had deployed and I never went back to see.
Suppose I could just watch them on youtube I guess. But with where ME4 is going seems kinda pointless.

Never seen the OG one, which might explain why I like ME3...

Jawmuncher

Never seen the OG one, which might explain why I like ME3...

I was never even bothered by the OG one though.
I just kinda shrugged at it. It was a weak closing but I just kept it to myself as being open ended and the ride there was still absolutely memorable so I let it pass.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hopefully Bish can respond and Stump can find this thread again.

i mean this thread definitely serves more purposes than just being a "chat room" or general games discussion that are not even on this platform so it's a tough one

if gaming is where threads are sent to die in general that means there are pretty problems with how the forum is arranged but i don't really know anything about that to like give a useful opinion

whats up guys, my phone is being dumb and the 4g won't work. it says it has it for less than a second then it loses it. just keeps doing that all day, idk what happened to it. Did I miss anything?

Anteater

I think stump hasn't been posting much before the move, I remember him occasionally posting about pc/steam stuff but it wasn't as much as before.

I vote Alan Wake. It's not very good.

Edit: If you have AW: American Nightmare be sure to play that as well. It manages to turn the gameplay into something half-decent.

Alan Wake.

ALAN WAKE

edit: so Jawmuncher has fully switched to Origin now?

Arkham City!

I guess I'm the only guy here who'll say Arkham City.

Edit: Beaten by the guy with a doughnut for a head.

Batman Arkham City

alan wake is something original, arkham city is just more asylum, so i vote for alan wake

yea i mean i get that but we don't have to enjoy it

i will never get people that like guns

sounds ok, tho i think it would actually be reasonable to have all the threads you've quoted in community

As Batman fan Batman Arkham City of course.
4-4... next one decides.

And Grief.exe, I don't have Max Payne 2 and I've played Bully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom