• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 15 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 -- MB-86208DAC8504DC76 - Taken by Sharkiller. 17 entrants total.
Euro Truck Simulator -- MB-9AE44242658D7FB9 - Taken by Saty. 6 entrants total.
Depth Hunter 2 Deep Dive -- MB-BD88666DFA025163 - Taken by chronomac. 8 entrants total.
Bus Driver -- MB-1C96E12F12CE5100 - Taken by rainking187. 6 entrants total.
SOULBRINGER -- MB-699507CE86A37255 - Taken by Vandiger. 1 entrants total.
Ancients of Ooga -- MB-E0F4820E267EA60D - Taken by Woody Invincible. 1 entrants total.
REALMS OF THE HAUNTING -- MB-1E98D74255143971 - Taken by Lobogris. 2 entrants total.
Metro 2033 -- MB-B470019C70B7D2F9 - Taken by Belgarion. 2 entrants total.
Airline Tycoon 2 -- MB-74D9202CF3F97703 - Taken by sensoft04. 3 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Blackguards -- MB-47152A77E9139288 - Taken by fspm. 15 entrants total.
GRID -- MB-3A8A1248D1731DC4 - Taken by bloke. 16 entrants total.
Trucks & Trailers -- MB-4A7BB7EC60AEFC4B - Taken by bobnowhere. 4 entrants total.
Half Minute Hero Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy -- MB-A0FC6D608AE4A17F - Taken by PeterBazooka. 6 entrants total.
Urban Trial Freestyle -- MB-61B5F701EFA89AF0 - Taken by alr1ght. 5 entrants total.
FootLOL -- MB-55C308ECC509D745 - Taken by trailmix16. 6 entrants total.

t1416349786z1.png

I'm totally hating the extremely long missions cooldown.
I mean, the first day I did 2 missions in less than 1 hour. BAM! 4 days of cooldown.
Yesterday I did an Arms Race mission that took me 20 minutes or so. BAM! 3 days of cooldown.

Yup, me too. I did one in Demolition today and now I can play on friday the next time.

Patison

Some extras, enjoy :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for Patison:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Patison, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Full Mojo Rampage -- MB-ADDC9C4E84892D86 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 3 entrants total.
GRID -- MB-C841AE6A71E950A9 - Taken by crazyrabbits. 4 entrants total.
Insurgency -- MB-62C84BEBFBE1E732

t1416340131z1.png

Maniac

Banned
Thanks!

Btw with all the Insurgencies spreading like locusts I've been playing it for the past few days, and its amazing, especially the Co-op.

And such a great community too, a welcome change from Dota's.

I find it's the perfect replacement for CoD for me, and I've not liked CoD since MW2. But Insurgency just has a really great blend of realism, and well-paced, visceral CoD-esque combat. It's the best mix I've found of stuff like CoD, CS, BF and Arma, and I'm loving the hell out of it. Easily the best game I've ever picked up in a bundle.

Turfster

Oh man.
People that were playing AssUnitard or FC4 when Uplay nosedived for the millionth time today lost all their progress, even if they were in offline mode?

Looks like they still haven't fixed that teensy little bug.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Da DreadLord:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Da DreadLord, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Half Minute Hero -- MB-CEF07A6B54043F3E - Taken by pupo
Err, obviously not the second coming..

Eww. I know there will be plenty of adventure fans that will appreciate the throwback but i guess its not for me. With its look and "verb commands" i find it extremely difficult to get remotely excited about this.
Same, I love graphic adventures but that art style is too old/simple. If it gets nice reviews story wise I guess I'll get it anyway, but I wish it had a nicer retro look.

Xanathus

$20 seems a bit much to ask for Kickstarting that game, that feels like the release price for non-backers. At least they're following the Monkey Island rule of never paying more than $20 for a game :p

I find it's the perfect replacement for CoD for me, and I've not liked CoD since MW2. But Insurgency just has a really great blend of realism, and well-paced, visceral CoD-esque combat. It's the best mix I've found of stuff like CoD, CS, BF and Arma, and I'm loving the hell out of it. Easily the best game I've ever picked up in a bundle.

Exactly.

I loved Red Orchestra, and always wanted a modern take on that semi-simulation type of shooter. Insurgency fills that niche perfectly.

The attachment system for the weapons is perfect.

$20 seems a bit much to ask for Kickstarting that game, that feels like the release price for non-backers. At least they're following the Monkey Island rule of never paying more than $20 for a game :p

I'm of the opinion that Kickstarter fatigue is what will sink this project, not the price.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick (who designed Maniac Mansion together) are making a new p&c adventure
It's like the 80s never left!

hope it does well

maybe asking too much money but sounds to me like lower budget stuff will suit ron and tim better than graphic hogs like the cave or broken age

then again at this point old school adventure games look kinda ugly so they could've bumped the quality to like monkey 2 standards i guess

Parsnip

For my lazy ass, which was it? I remember the ME stuff, which I think I didn't buy, or maybe I only bought for Serah. What else was there? Just trying to remember, some idol drawn garb?
I saw your post in the other thread, so your ass wasn't that lazy after all. :p
Is it safe to delete the content in the Nvidia ServiceFolder?
Try it and report back.
Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick (who designed Maniac Mansion together) are making a new p&c adventure
It's like the 80s never left!
After Deathspank and The Cave, I'm not sure why anyone would give Ron Gilbert money.

Tizoc

After Deathspank and The Cave, I'm not sure why anyone would give Ron Gilbert money.

I liked the Deathspank trilogy and The Cave.
Besides it's Ron Gilbert doing a game that plays similar to the ones that made him famous to begin with.

Parsnip

Extras from I don't even know what bundles.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Parsnip, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Syder Arcade -- MB-996444B6FC003A8E - Taken by chronomac
Circuits -- MB-E4AF599372EE641E - Taken by trailmix16
Rage Runner -- MB-66A1F6BFDDFD210C - Taken by Scipius
Galactic Arms Race -- MB-1CD3BE0965BAE2F7 - Taken by Scipius
World Truck Racing -- MB-0AFBCDE2ED8C7B2B - Taken by nightstorm
Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy -- MB-A7C967C2FEE916FC - Taken by darkchewie
AVSEQ -- MB-AB48186CB133E62D - Taken by Tellaerin
LightFish -- MB-AA7E12D8522AE031 - Taken by Bayonetta

Lomax

I enjoyed the Deathspank game I played, but it's still bizarre to me that people act so hard up for adventure games, because I feel like I have hundreds from bundles I have little interest in.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Tizoc, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PGP3OVL.png
The Witcher 2 GOG -- MB-F31AD7842C0C0073 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 2 entrants total.

t1416345466z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Onikira: Demon Killer -- MB-B36EFE6C92CC3F55 - Taken by Jadax
Little Racers Street -- MB-BC933D3605E471A1 - Taken by Mavromatis

Dr.Acula

Banned
ModBot said:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

PGP3OVL.png
The Witcher 2 (GOG) -- MB-87AB099350D790DB - Taken by S1n1st3r. 4 entrants total.

t1416353991z1.png

Heh, I love that youtube vid ;)

I enjoyed the Deathspank game I played, but it's still bizarre to me that people act so hard up for adventure games, because I feel like I have hundreds from bundles I have little interest in.

Could be many reasons for that. Consider how long a gamer might play an RPG. 50 hours? 100? More? How long they might take to play the story campaign of an FPS. 10 hours? And don't even get me started on strategy games. But then you get to adventure games, and more often than not, they don't even crack five hours (I've played some that I finished in two,) with not a lot of replay value, and unless it's a hidden object game, no difficulty levels either. So you end up spending a lot less time with an individual adventure game than you would another game. That's why people feel there aren't that many, even though there are.

Also, adventure gamers tend to be picky. They find a style they like and fret when they see adventures have changed since Space Quest and Monkey Island. Some love Telltale, some complain it's too much storytelling and not enough puzzle-solving. Some love Daedalic, some complain its puzzles are too obtuse and a lot of its jokes get lost in translation. Some love Wadjet Eye, some can't look past the dated graphics. And pretty much nobody discusses hidden object games except as a punchline. (My biggest complaint about them: its point-and-click puzzles seem boiled down to their core elements of iventory usage without the sense-make. You're forced to metagame. You do things not because it fits the storyline and what the protagonist would do, but because you know you'll get an object or clue out of it.)

There's always an exception to the rule, of course. But if an adventure gamer feels hard up for games, maybe he should try to broaden his horizons. Heck, people still make text adventures and make those available for free.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
don't be
its been 3 months and no nintendo game ever got to us because of the borders
they revoked all nintendo games that came from NA
i still waiting for my super smash bros 3DS version to come
and pokemon OR is only 4 days
Don't know where you're from, but that totally sucks. I decided to go all digital whenever possible due to retail games being very expensive here, and maybe you should try it too.

It's a backdoor for piracy... I mean, "backup copies", apparently
Today I learned "homebrew software" = "piracy".

Or was it "emulators" = "piracy"?

She's helping him find his key. How is this NSFW?

I assume the cut part of the video where she gets out of the car and he ran over her to acquire her money is the NSFW part, good thing they removed that.
2014-11-18_21-46-19.jpg

ok ... I'm taking bets on "what will be the first GTA V mod?" :p

Did any other PC game ever had any other type of first mod?
Ubi called PC gamers pirates but I assume that was a mistranslation, they meant perverts.

chronomac

The New Yorker's Simon Parkin wrote a lovely story on Never Alone and how the Iñupiat people of Alaska helped craft the game.

In conjunction with E-Line, the C.I.T.C. founded Upper One Games, the first indigenous-owned video-game company in the United States. “We looked at a range of options for reaching the community’s business and creative goals,” Sean Vesce, a creative director at the company, told me. “We quickly settled on the idea of a game inspired by and based on the rich storytelling traditions and culture of the Iñupiat people. The climate in which they live is some of the most remote and extreme on the planet. We were immediately drawn to their world view, traditions, and values, and how that might translate into a video game.”

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

Turfster

The Stardock store (which looks like "what the fuck is this really a store? really? seriously?") has a 50% off code, STARDOCK50 for stuff like Sins of a Solar Empire:Rebellion, Galactic Civilzations III (and some other things I don't know if they're Steam keys or not because seriously, fuck this site design.)

Lomax

Could be many reasons for that. Consider how long a gamer might play an RPG. 50 hours? 100? More? How long they might take to play the story campaign of an FPS. 10 hours? And don't even get me started on strategy games. But then you get to adventure games, and more often than not, they don't even crack five hours (I've played some that I finished in two,) with not a lot of replay value, and unless it's a hidden object game, no difficulty levels either. So you end up spending a lot less time with an individual adventure game than you would another game. That's why people feel there aren't that many, even though there are.

Also, adventure gamers tend to be picky. They find a style they like and fret when they see adventures have changed since Space Quest and Monkey Island. Some love Telltale, some complain it's too much storytelling and not enough puzzle-solving. Some love Daedalic, some complain its puzzles are too obtuse and a lot of its jokes get lost in translation. Some love Wadjet Eye, some can't look past the dated graphics. And pretty much nobody discusses hidden object games except as a punchline. (My biggest complaint about them: its point-and-click puzzles seem boiled down to their core elements of iventory usage without the sense-make. You're forced to metagame. You do things not because it fits the storyline and what the protagonist would do, but because you know you'll get an object or clue out of it.)

There's always an exception to the rule, of course. But if an adventure gamer feels hard up for games, maybe he should try to broaden his horizons. Heck, people still make text adventures and make those available for free.

Excellent response, thanks. That does make a lot of sense. Personally I like the current Telltale style because obnoxious hotspot clicking ends up being my bane. For example, I really loved Gemini Rue except a couple of points were so obnoxious and to me counter-intuitive that it just tainted the whole experience for me. Plus I was just never that into the old school adventures, I was more of a strategy and rpg gamer.

The Stardock store (which looks like "what the fuck is this really a store? really? seriously?") has a 50% off code, STARDOCK50 for stuff like Sins of a Solar Empire:Rebellion, Galactic Civilzations III (and some other things I don't know if they're Steam keys or not because seriously, fuck this site design.)

Wait, they made another store after selling impulse? Why?

ModBot said:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Santerestil, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Worms Armageddon -- MB-BA7AF07CF1D747B2 - Taken by CrunchyFrog. 10 entrants total.
Worms -- MB-3C0B3429AE0B8505 - Taken by hepburn3d. 3 entrants total.
Superfrog HD -- MB-D0CF7C13F6DF6809 - Taken by gaiadyne. 1 entrants total.
Teleglitch: Die More Edition -- MB-9B4A4A4B64AD5AB2
Worms Pinball -- MB-9DF46F3FD36958B3
Worms Crazy Golf -- MB-750E31397BC0DBCC
Risk of Rain #2 -- MB-D2E496D347C8CAB3 - Taken by johnssy123. 1 entrants total.
Risk of Rain #3 -- MB-20A7DE4D23F27FD5 - Taken by Casimir. 1 entrants total.
Worms Blast -- MB-1551F1CF8C12295E
Risk of Rain -- MB-226BC66C2E0AFB1F - Taken by Vandiger. 1 entrants total.

t1416430787z1.png

Note that Teleglitch and Risk of Rain MUST be redemeed by November 21th or they'll expired!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The private apps are the pre-order DLC:

Pre-Purchase Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions and get two bonus levels:

- Secret Eye: a unique triangle-shaped grid with an evolving cubed wall
- Blood Count: a unique Torus shaped grid

Thanks for the heads-up, though. I have a "Better safe than sorry" policy when it comes to pre-purchase incentives, unless it's stated in no uncertain terms that they'll be available post-launch (such as was the case with the newly-released CoH2 expansion).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom