• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Game Dev story really taught me that you have to be pretty dirty to survive as a big gaming company. I was spurning sequels and generic crap to get good money.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Snake got a new GPU. Hes just testing it out on Mordor, trying to get it to run better.

And sir that is an excellent avatar. I love it!

Haha thanks, I got challenged to make it by Comics-GAF. It'll be hanging around until the end of the month until I make it a little more festive.

Game Dev story really taught me that you have to be pretty dirty to survive as a big gaming company. I was spurning sequels and generic crap to get good money.

I sold 16 million copies of FPS Shooty RPG 2 and at the time there wasn't even enough consoles for it to have a 100% attach rate, which means that either people loved it so much that they bought multiple copies or that some people were purchasing it for machines they didn't even own.

If that's not success i dont know what is.

Jawmuncher

I sold 16 million copies of FPS Shooty RPG 2 and at the time there wasn't even enough consoles for it to have a 100% attach rate, which means that either people loved it so much that they bought multiple copies or that some people were purchasing it for machines they didn't even own.

If that's not success i dont know what is.

That game must have had some rad box art.

Zafir

oh boy

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/11/19/far-cry-4-users-accidentally-reveal-they-pirated-the-game

tumblr_n7dqujgOJv1ta8urjo6_500.gif
Can't you run the game offline without installing patches on uplay though? I've always been given the option. I know I did with Unity when they released the 1.02 patch or whatever the ver number was.

Can't you run the game offline without installing patches on uplay though? I've always been given the option. I know I did with Unity when they released the 1.02 patch or whatever the ver number was.

You need to connect once in order to unlock the game. The moment you connect to Uplay to decrypt the files or whatever magic happens, you get the first patch. As far as I know there was no way to skip the patch.

Miguel81

Should I get Batman Oranges w/ Season Pass or w/ Blackgate Deluxe? Just trying to get rid of my coupon over at Gamersgate.

The latter looks like a decent Metroidvania romp, which I'm rather fond of but it had a rather mediocre reception.

Backlogger

Just to double check, there is no discounted Steam version (yes, I know it still uses Uplay) of Far Cry 4 that anyone is aware of is there?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Should I get Batman Oranges w/ Season Pass or w/ Blackgate Deluxe? Just trying to get rid of my coupon over at Gamersgate.

The latter looks like a decent Metroidvania romp, which I'm rather fond of but it had a rather mediocre reception.

If you liked the other Batman Arkham games, you'll probably like Oranges. I got it and enjoyed it. Maybe even a bit more than City. I haven't played Blackgate though. How much are each of those?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Just to double check, there is no discounted Steam version (yes, I know it still uses Uplay) of Far Cry 4 that anyone is aware of is there?

Yes. I think the only way to get it on Steam is to buy it on Steam, so that'll be tough one to get a discount on.

Miguel81

If you liked the other Batman Arkham games, you'll probably like Oranges. I got it and enjoyed it. Maybe even a bit more than City. I haven't played Blackgate though. How much are each of those?

I'm dead set on Oranges after some recs here, and the fact that I did love City. All three(Origins, Season Pass, and Blackgate) are 5 bucks a piece, so I'll be spending 8 w/coupon on two of them.

Edit: Having Steam versions of Ubi games is superb(wish Origin was the same on all recent titles). The Uplay-only versions can be found cheap much sooner than I'd expect otherwise.

Backlogger

Yes. I think the only way to get it on Steam is to buy it on Steam, so that'll be tough one to get a discount on.

Kind of a tease that they put 1-3 on sale recently. "Hey, buy our old games on Steam, but we don't really want you buying the new one unless you are willing to pay $90"

GMG seems to have the best deal, but I don't want to cave and buy a Uplay only version of a Ubi game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
morning. any keys added to bundles today, since the wiki site is terribly outdated again?

My laptop freezes randomly. At first I thought it was overheating but sometimes it freezes shortly after turning it on and other times it goes a whole day without issues. Can't find a pattern for it.

^I need to get around to checking out Arkham Origins, Asylum and City were great.

Shadownet

Banned

For the love of god avoid Blackgate. Only get it if you have money to spare and its less than $5. Get Origin.

Oh wait I misunderstood your question.

I would get Origin with Blackgate if that's the case. The Season Pass isn't worth it.

the only good DLC for Oranges is Cold Cold Heart and you can get that on sale in the future. Blackgate is criminally underrated for what it is, and the only real issue i had with it was that it has a couple of filler moments that break the pacing for me. Still, loved it more that Strider 2014, and that has to count for something.

My laptop freezes randomly. At first I thought it was overheating but sometimes it freezes shortly after turning it on and other times it goes a whole day without issues. Can't find a pattern for it.

^I need to get around to checking out Arkham Origins, Asylum and City were great.

Story of the gf's macbook air. Ordered a surface pro 3. Should arrive in a couple days, then unload that overpriced badboy.

Miguel81

Getting Oranges w/ Blackgate then. It takes place after the main course so I don't want to miss that bit.

Should the OG Dragon Age be played before Inquisition? The new one has me interested, but even with a free copy of Dragon Age it just seems so bland from watching a bit of some playthroughs.

Jawmuncher

Should the OG Dragon Age be played before Inquisition? The new one has me interested, but even with a free copy of Dragon Age it just seems so bland from watching a bit of some playthroughs.

Nah.
Dragon Age has never fully connected like Mass Effect did.
If you read the description in the OT and recall some of the stuff from older games you'll be fine.

Knurek

If anyone is interested about graphics and rendering and stuff, you should read this blog post "Physically Based Deferred Rendering in Costume Quest 2" by Double Fine's David Farrell.

The second style of rendering is for the rest of the world, which uses an energy conserving Blinn-Phong BRDF lit by a primary shadow-casting sunlight, additional point lights, and a hemisphere light for ambient lighting. All lighting was dynamic, except for prebaked per-vertex ambient occlusion.

1238157980_scanners_-_head_explosion.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
I can only assume he meant to say "It's like Skyrim, but good."
still not flattering

I actually liked Dead Island :>>

Not sure what to think about DI2 tho...
no i get people liking it, i just can't understand anyone having any sort of loyalty to that franchise

greenlight update: 33 games were greenlit yeasterday (if counter is still working (><)
Among those Flamberge, TitanfallOverride, ZeldaWarden that I can see.

Eternal Forest still not greenlit (._.)

this game would be nice to have, but it seems devs don't plan to translate it, and I don't see many of us playing a game in traditional Chinese
lol agin looks like cool suikoden stuff but srs chinese only? wtf

changes for early access
is it just me or does that not sound any different -_-

Miguel81

Nah.
Dragon Age has never fully connected like Mass Effect did.
If you read the description in the OT and recall some of the stuff from older games you'll be fine.

That sounds good and time-saving. I got my PC copy of Dino 2 btw, and will be installing later. Hope I have no issues.

Turfster

I thought Batman AA anti piracy was pretty funny too. If you have a pirated copy, Batman's cape would never open so you can't even glide.
Like most DRM-linked anti piracy implementations, this sometimes fucked up even for legit copies.
See also: the Mass Effect Galaxy Map not opening for 'pirated' copies.

GMG's deal of the day is the WH40K Dawn of War franchise 75% off

Jawmuncher

That sounds good and time-saving. I got my PC copy of Dino 2 btw, and will be installing later. Hope I have no issues.

Nice. Mine should be here today.
But once again the snow is so bad i'm not gonna bother.
Still searching for a box of DC1. Apparently only PAL collectors kept the box intact.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
well I did that thingie, it said they were added to my origin account and I dont have them so fuck it

Miguel81

Nice. Mine should be here today.
But once again the snow is so bad i'm not gonna bother.
Still searching for a box of DC1. Apparently only PAL collectors kept the box intact.

DC1 I have on PSOne(Greatest Hits, ugh), but I'd like to have a new/mint PC copy if they weren't so expensive. Really want these games digitally, and the Resi trilogy as well.

Jawmuncher

DC1 I have on PSOne(Greatest Hits, ugh), but I'd like to have a new/mint PC copy if they weren't so expensive. Really want these games digitally, and the Resi trilogy as well.

I have both black labels of DC1 and 2, as well as Dino Stalker, and that xbox game.
PC and the DC version is all i'm missing. In terms of NA releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom