• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

At least Rise of the Tomb Raider Reviews will be released before Fallout 4 reviews so game will get some spotlight before potentially whole hell breaks loose :D

Jawmuncher

The poo poo everyone is flinging on Fallout 4 is making me sad.

No one is saying the game won't be good. But technical problems are still problems, especially from a big studio. Ubisoft dealt with it for Unity, so it's only fair that bethesda doesn't get a pass on it either.

Dr Dogg

STEAM | December 2015 - Your One Stop Shop To Shit On Games, The Media & Gamers All In The Comfy Confines Of Community Away From Gen Pop

Of course I do that too so yet another notch on my hypocritical bed post.

Volimar

No one is saying the game won't be good. But technical problems are still problems, especially from a big studio. Ubisoft dealt with it for Unity, so it's only fair that bethesda doesn't get a pass on it either.

As much of a fanboy I am for Beth, I definitely acknowledge the bugs. I'm just hoping there's nothing game breaking and it's enjoyable.

derExperte

Half the responses of that thread...yeesh! People can see frame drops only when it's convenient I guess.

After having completed Until Dawn yesterday and then reading through the OT I can confirm yet again that a significant portion of GAFers are either visually challenged or very good at deluding themselves. Yeeesh. And even if I were fine with FO4's performance right now I would be concerned about how it'll run after 50-100hrs play time.

Grief.exe

This Fallout Thread is scaring me.
People defending a company that didnt even bother to fix their old console ports and say even if the framerate is shit, its fine if the game is fun and kinda being passive-agressive of anyone who dares to criticize the port..-

It's really sickening actually, where any criticism is instantly shot down no matter how relevant. I will criticize the shit out of Dark Souls but it is still one of my favorite games of all time.

Push the games industry towards what? If you want an objective review based on how the piece of media pushes the industry forward, then you must have an end point by which it can be measured. And who decides what that end point is? You? Me? Karl Marx?

It doesn't have to be a literal measuring stick, but the reviewer uses his review to set up his argument and then supports it with the game and contextual examples within the genre.

Do you think gaming journalism is in a good place?

*raises hand*

II think it will be mediocre in many respects, but you guys will still enjoy the game. There's nothing wrong with enjoying a game that isn't perfect, but it still deserves to be criticized.

I doubt we will be able to discuss the game critically for months however.

Volimar

After having completed Until Dawn yesterday and then reading through the OT I can confirm yet again that a significant portion of GAFers are either visually challenged or very good at deluding themselves. Yeeesh. And even if I were fine with FO4's performance right now I would be concerned about how it'll run after 50-100hrs play time.

Oh God, I somehow forgot about that issue.

Anteater

As much of a fanboy I am for Beth, I definitely acknowledge the bugs. I'm just hoping there's nothing game breaking and it's enjoyable.

Well I think it'll definitely be playable, not many games are actually broken and unplayable, maybe some games have actual game stopper bugs and require you to reload a different save, but I guess that's still a way around the issue.

zkylon

zkylewd
two day vacation was energizing, felt like a lot of not so great things about this pretty incredible year just washed away and i left them there, it's a really good feeling.

had lots of fun and good talks with friends and met nice new people that were strangely surprised i don't do cosplay lol

should do this stuff more often

Oh yeah they are making Life is Strange 2 for you guys.
i hope it's no more max stuff

new story entirely would be nice, lis1 feels like it gave me enough closure that i don't want to go back to it

Well they
do matter
in a way. Maybe not in last 20 minutes but i felt different whenever game reminded me on
choice
i did few episodes back.
also in lis you weren't constantly being given very manipulative choices like "choose who lives and dies" so whenever one of these choices "doesn't matter" and you end up getting chloe in trouble anyways or whatever it doesn't feel so bad.

the stakes in something like twd are so high that it's really draining just to make a choice at all, and when you start noticing that you put a lot of emotional effort into a decision that just gets overwritten then you stop caring and that's that game's big failure imo

the rule says that ppl will wait for new vegas 2 to complain about performance and bugs

and i feel there's a lot of bad rep for fo4 already, i can't remember the last time a big game like fo4 had this much hate

That won't happen since they have 8GB GDDR5 this time. You are right about the delusion part, some people legit thought it was a perk that was slowing down ADS, I can't

Jawmuncher

also in lis you weren't constantly being given very manipulative choices like "choose who lives and dies" so whenever one of these choices "doesn't matter" and you end up getting chloe in trouble anyways or whatever it doesn't feel so bad.

the stakes in something like twd are so high that it's really draining just to make a choice at all, and when you start noticing that you put a lot of emotional effort into a decision that just gets overwritten then you stop caring and that's that game's big failure imo

But that's the
exact thing LiS did
Honestly at this point every game of this formula seems to be guilty of it.
The price you pay to have a cohesive story and not have to deal with a ton of endings I guess.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but I don't see how DN is getting a pass for doing the exact same thing TT did.

dex3108

the rule says that ppl will wait for new vegas 2 to complain about performance and bugs

and i feel there's a lot of bad rep for fo4 already, i can't remember the last time a big game like fo4 had this much hate

There is no real "hate" for Fallout 4. People were waiting for a long time and they are getting same things again. And then come real issue and that is hyperbole in Fallout 4 threads. People who like Bethesda games can;t accept criticism and people who complain usually blow things out of proportion.

Volimar

There is no real "hate" for Fallout 4. People were waiting for a long time and they are getting same things again. And then come real issue and that is hyperbole in Fallout 4 threads. People who like Bethesda games can;t accept criticism and people who complain usually blow things out of proportion.

That seems like every AAA title thread.

I wonder if the problems on ps4 will translate to other platforms. Didn't they have a lot of trouble with Skyrim on PS3?

Anteater

That won't happen since they have 8GB GDDR5 this time. You are right about the delusion part, some people legit thought it was a perk that was slowing down ADS, I can't

shush atraveller you're just an elitist, maybe people are actually happy with all the technical problems, we don't need you to tell us about it, pc gamers are the worst

Parsnip

I was skipping through the double fine's day of devs streams, and while they showed mostly the usual indie stuff you have probably seen elsewhere already, this one game I had never heard of before went immediately to the top of all kinds of lists for me.

aDZC6yH.gif
Tpw6b0U.gif
Ok9Dffa.gif
hzJyZ9X.gif

Secret Legend

I have no idea what kind of game it is other than that it obviously looks like some Zelda homage, but it's just so pretty.

zkylon

zkylewd
But that's the
exact thing LiS did
it's not the only reason why i think lis does it better, but it's an important one. the cadence with which twd gave u overwritten choices is much higher to lis' and it's often just a really ugly thing like someone getting killed. it's desensitizing cos it happens so often. in lis
it's just the ending, and only one of them i guess

and also, the time travel mechanic allowed you to see the consequences of ur choices even if some of them get forcibly rewound. in my story
kate was dead for most of the episodes, even if she's magically back at the end

maybe i'm noticing because fallout is something i really care about but it seems like every other post here is someone quoting something bad about fo4 or about someone defending beth or whatever. exaggerating but u get what i mean

i also feel like beth really undermarketed fo4 which feels very strange

Jawmuncher

it's not the only reason why i think lis does it better, but it's an important one. the cadence with which twd gave u overwritten choices is much higher to lis' and it's often just a really ugly thing like someone getting killed. it's desensitizing cos it happens so often. in lis
it's just the ending, and only one of them i guess

and also, the time travel mechanic allowed you to see the consequences of ur choices even if some of them get forcibly rewound. in my story
kate was dead for most of the episodes, even if she's magically back at the end

You seem to be in the same camp as dex that's putting the story in front more so then anything else. I'm not trying to say TWD is better then LiS because X and X. I was just talking broadly of the way choices are handled in both companies games. In that they are more similar then people give them credit for.
Both do the character dies or doesn't die based on your actions and stay in the story. They also both do the choices that don't matter since we need the story to progress.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So thanks in no small part to many of you, Extra Life 2015 was a resounding success! I was able to successfully stay up for 24 hours gaming, and here's what I have to show for it:

I was able to earn a total of 101 achievements in the 14 games I played. But much more importantly than that:

9ivU8sE.png

This is absolutely amazing I'm so proud of the Enhanced Steam and Idle Master communities, as well as GAF and others who came together to pull this superb total. This will all go towards my local children's hospital in Portland, OR and I'm proud to be able to be a part of that.

Here's my rundown of the best and worst games I played:

Favorite game: D4 - Dark Dreams Don't Die. I knew almost nothing about this game going into it and found it to be absolutely enthralling. The story-telling is offbeat but put together well intermixed with a lot of quirk. The game has style and atmosphere in spades. Great game that I'm really looking forward to finishing.

Biggest surprise: Blues and Bullets. While only the second game I played yesterday morning I found it to be really pretty fantastic. The game went from being a gruesome horror game to a standard Telltale adventure game, to a Sherlock Holmes game, to a (I kid you not) cover shooter. So much variety blended together well really surprised me.

Biggest letdown: Sacred 3 by a country mile. They may as well have called this game Gauntlet (since it has nothing to do with Sacred) and the dialog was oh-so-terrible. Really, really bad. I paid $5 for the game and I'm glad I didn't pay anything more than that.

Weirdest game: Killer is Dead. I played it for a few hours and still couldn't tell you what was going on. None of it made any sense, but the combat controls were tight as well and the game was actually fun. I also found out I'm not a very good creepster.

All in all, I liked everything I played and was able to do all of this without getting bored which says a lot. I had a great time and I'm looking forward to doing this again next year. I'm going to get some rest now, but when I wake up I'll get everyone's profile badges sorted out, then hopefully have the raffle stuff sorted out by tomorrow. Thanks again to everyone that participated in the donations and the live stream! :)

dex3108

That seems like every AAA title thread.

I wonder if the problems on ps4 will translate to other platforms. Didn't they have a lot of trouble with Skyrim on PS3?

Not really. Bethesda and Rockstar usually don't get that much complains just because they are that big and you wait their games for years.

It is not "problem" that game has issues, problem is that people will deny/ignore these issues just because company/publisher/developer name. Especially in reviews.

zkylon

zkylewd
You seem to be in the same camp as dex that's putting the story in front more so then anything else. I'm not trying to say TWD is better then LiS because X and X. I was just talking broadly of the way choices are handled in both companies games. In that they are more similar then people give them credit for.
i mean, sure, but you gotta see the full picture to compare the two and since these are almost story-only games context means a lot

both games sometimes ignore your choices and do whatever they want, that's true

it's just that lis does a really good job of showing you what would've happened because time travel is like a fantastic mechanic to have in a game like this

Jawmuncher

i mean, sure, but you gotta see the full picture to compare the two and since these are almost story-only games context means a lot

both games sometimes ignore your choices and do whatever they want, that's true

it's just that lis does a really good job of showing you what would've happened because time travel is like a fantastic mechanic to have in a game like this

I guess I can agree to that. It was nice to be able to see both outcomes and choose from there.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I think my favorite part about the way they approached choice in Life is Strange is the whole subtle but disturbing implication that
all of your choices did matter, they're just happening in alternate timelines you hopped into. So performing a certain action will leave that timeline's Max with the consequences after you've gone to the next.
They could have done a better job of showing the effects of these for sure, but it was a really fun way to address the true 'lack of choice' issue in story driven titles.

Kriken

This Fallout Thread is scaring me.
People defending a company that didnt even bother to fix their old console ports and say even if the framerate is shit, its fine if the game is fun and kinda being passive-agressive of anyone who dares to criticize the port..-

People saying "I don't see any drops" disturbs me more, save that $60 you were going to use to buy the game to have an eye appointment

Boston is a pretty cool city but there is only one GOAT American city. 100%, no doubt, emphatically, inarguably: New Orleans.

And Fedex updated the shipping of my Steam Link and Controller from 2 days ago to Tuesday. Thanks for the blue balls!

zkylon

zkylewd
I guess I can agree to that. It was nice to be able to see both outcomes and choose from there.
also on your edit, while what you say is true,
lis is a lot more careful with how it treats death and things like that, at least until the last episode which is the weirdest and weakest of the bunch

like kate dying is a big deal and is given a lot of screen time and follow through. it's not something that's quickly forgotten as we move on to the next dramatic thing. it's also not a direct result of your choice. i didn't choose for kate to die, i just failed at saving her.

then in some other scenarios like the euthanasia stuff, as you do it you know this won't end like this and it's just something that it's gonna get rewound, so instead it just becomes a really interesting moment in which you don't really question what you should do but what does it matter if you're gonna rewind it anyways.

the last episode has a bunch of saving idiots from random flying debris which is really lame but it's not like anyone ever felt that maximum hipster douchebag guy would turn up to be an actual character or anything i guess

so it's not a recurrent thing which is what i criticize most about twd. i don't mind a few of your choices being overwritten. it even makes sense that you won't always get your way, that'd probably make the game feel fake and unnatural. i feel lis for the most part respected your choices and gave you some kind of consequence for what you chose, even if it's not a direct continuation of the story, and they did it thanks to the time-travel stuff and thanks to being smarter with how often they did the overwriting and how they kept the drama at more relatable levels

zkylon

zkylewd
I think my favorite part about the way they approached choice in Life is Strange is the whole subtle but disturbing implication that
all of your choices did matter, they're just happening in alternate timelines you hopped into. So performing a certain action will leave that timeline's Max with the consequences after you've gone to the next.
They could have done a better job of showing the effects of these for sure, but it was a really fun way to address the true 'lack of choice' issue in story driven titles.
not tryin to be a jerk but i actually liked that part the least

i feel like whenever they strayed away from the teen drama/veronica mars stuff they moved into very familiar time travel tropes that didn't do all that much for me

at least personally the whole time travel stuff i just like as an excuse to see more sides of characters, not as a part of the plot

Coreda

I was skipping through the double fine's day of devs streams, and while they showed mostly the usual indie stuff you have probably seen elsewhere already, this one game I had never heard of before went immediately to the top of all kinds of lists for me.

Secret Legend

I have no idea what kind of game it is other than that it obviously looks like some Zelda homage, but it's just so pretty.

*Adds to wishlist*

Reminds me a bit of the PS-One/N64 era, with the isometric, colorful and polygonal simplicity (and the anthropomorphic character).

MUnited83

For you.
I barely notice the drops, but I think that's because I've had garbage PCs most of my life.

I mean, the first video I can buy it that some people aren't noticing the drops.

But the scope video? If anyone claims that they can't notice the drop on that one I'd think it would be fair to declare them legally insane.

Uzzy

It doesn't have to be a literal measuring stick, but the reviewer uses his review to set up his argument and then supports it with the game and contextual examples within the genre.

Do you think gaming journalism is in a good place?

I don't think that gaming journalism is in a good place, nor do I think it's in a bad place. But I don't think reviews are the place to discover objective truths like what moves the industry forward. That sort of thing is better suited for academic criticism, which is sorely lacking from the industry.

There's professors and literature and decades of study on film theory, music theory, but barely anything for games.

Soulflarz

Banned
I don't think that gaming journalism is in a good place, nor do I think it's in a bad place. But I don't think reviews are the place to discover objective truths like what moves the industry forward. That sort of thing is better suited for academic criticism, which is sorely lacking from the industry.

There's professors and literature and decades of study on film theory, music theory, but barely anything for games.

Moreso games aren't reviewed on a decent standard

Using the ever so perfect 999 as an example - how do you review that?
Destructoid gave it a 10 for being perfect by the end.
Some would argue it can't be a 10 because it makes you replay stuff. Can it be a 10 with flaws? Some say as a game it's mediocre, but as a story it's the best one ever in a game.

Do you rate games on a technical level, or on an "this was fun" level? Why is 8 average, 7 a pass, and we don't use 1-6?

It's a terrible system at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom