• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Mushihime-sama-futari.gif

Not sure what the problem is that attack doesn't look too bad.

Hinomura

Welp, controller doesn't work in Mushihimesama for me :(

I use a DS3 with SCPServer for Xinput emulation, which works with anything else as a 360 controller...

Knurek

btw can you make small movement like that on a controller? I noticed that it's near impossible to make precise small adjustments with the dpad on some games

I can't understand people who play shmups on pads.
Either arcade stick, or keyboard. Way better precision.

(Of course, I can't understand people who play fps games on pads, so there's that).

Anteater

I can't understand people who play shmups on pads.
Either arcade stick, or keyboard. Way better precision.

(Of course, I can't understand people who play fps games on pads, so there's that).

for me it's mostly the directional buttons because I'm used to using my thumb, I'm not sure if wsda is really a good alternative over dpad anyway, joystick is better for most arcade genres but the thing is too noisy :p haven't bought one since the dreamcast because I've had enough of buying a million new controllers each gen that don't work crossplatform

Mikurden

I don't think that gaming journalism is in a good place, nor do I think it's in a bad place. But I don't think reviews are the place to discover objective truths like what moves the industry forward. That sort of thing is better suited for academic criticism, which is sorely lacking from the industry.

There's professors and literature and decades of study on film theory, music theory, but barely anything for games.

Well, barely any time has passed since videogames were invented -- it takes awhile for any new art-form to be recognized as such, much less for a body of serious critical analysis to develop. Having said that, I enjoyed perusing some of the stuff at this site:

http://www.anatomyofgames.com/anatomy-of-a-game/

Off-topic warning -- its focus is on classic console games. As he says in the intro:
The premise of this series is to focus on how these games communicate to the player the rules of play through game design rather than overt instruction. If the list seems predominantly Nintendo-heavy, that’s because Nintendo used to be really good at it. If it seems predominantly retro in focus, that’s because hardly anyone bothers to design games this way anymore, leaning instead on mundane tutorials rather than effective stage construction and carefully considered game flow.

Hinomura

Ok, found a solution (???).

I disabled SCP Server service, rebooted, manually restarted service, and now Mushihimesama works with it...

???

Edit: auto restarting service at boot (with delay), DS3 became the 2nd controller (???). Is it Windows 10 dark magic?

Chariot

Well, barely any time has passed since videogames were invented -- it takes awhile for any new art-form to be recognized as such, much less for a body of serious critical analysis to develop. Having said that, I enjoyed perusing some of the stuff at this site:

Off-topic warning -- its focus is on classic console games. As he says in the intro:
The premise of this series is to focus on how these games communicate to the player the rules of play through game design rather than overt instruction. If the list seems predominantly Nintendo-heavy, that’s because Nintendo used to be really good at it. If it seems predominantly retro in focus, that’s because hardly anyone bothers to design games this way anymore, leaning instead on mundane tutorials rather than effective stage construction and carefully considered game flow.
Oh, this is fascinating. I really was surprised by Korra in thst regard. It didn't waste much time in explanation instead showing you along the way what you can do. It was pretty easy and comfy to get into because learning the aspects was so easy as the game build on it.

For a modern game, that is.

Really neat article. Thanks for posting it.
Happy birthday.

r3n4ud

So how do I go through it, do I just move the redist package files into the game folder file?

In the game folder, look for a _CommonRedist folder. In there, there should be a vcredist folder. Go in there and manually install the files. For example vcredist_x64 and vcredist_x86. After those are installed, try starting the game.

If that doesn't work, you can always check out this for some extra help.

Happy birthday to Adnor~!

This Fallout Thread is scaring me.
People defending a company that didnt even bother to fix their old console ports and say even if the framerate is shit, its fine if the game is fun and kinda being passive-agressive of anyone who dares to criticize the port..-

Fallout 4 is down, MGS V is down, the true GOTY is the Witcher 3.

Uzzy

Fallout 4 is down, MGS V is down, the true GOTY is the Witcher 3.

I don't recall Huniepop having any bugs.

Now that's what I'm talking about. You can't expect journalists to put out articles like that, as journalism has very different demands to academia. Journalism needs to talk about things that are happening now, as they need the immediacy to stay relevant and stay alive. Academia can take ages to publish anything and talk about things that aren't in the current zeitgeist, analysing them at a far greater length.

Rest in pieces.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

One Final Breath Episode One -- MB-F241A0D6E68002AF - Taken by Haunted. 5 entrants total.

t1447035157z1.png

5 fps!? How is that playable? Did you even enjoy the game?

Though, I remember playing Tomb Raider 2 on PC and every other level ran like 1 frame ever 2 seconds or something, I always ran though the level to get to those where I actually could play.XD

Not the poster you quoted but you just need to get used to it. The only genre that is unplayable for me with low fps is fighting games. The other ones, I've played and "enjoyed" the game, maybe after so much time playing with low fps I developed stockholm syndrome.

MUnited83

For you.
I was used to some low low framerates when I only had a shitty laptop but I still couldn't tolerate 5fps, that's ridiculous lol.

I think the final mission of Blops 3 is literally impossible to beat on realistic by yourself. Holy shit.

Have to open a door (which takes about 3 seconds) in the middle of an open area with dozens of infinitely spawning enemies constantly firing on you.

def sim

I used to play games on a busted PC in the late 90s and early to mid 00s. I can deal with low framerates, for sure. I won't use that to defend a poorly running game, though, it just means I can deal if I played them.

Chariot

Not the poster you quoted but you just need to get used to it. The only genre that is unplayable for me with low fps is fighting games. The other ones, I've played and "enjoyed" the game, maybe after so much time playing with low fps I developed stockholm syndrome.
What about first-Person shooters (esp. in multiplayer), fast paced action games and anime games with moving portraits?

I was used to some low low framerates when I only had a shitty laptop but I still couldn't tolerate 5fps, that's ridiculous lol.

I'm still used to 20 fps when playing mmorpgs, especially in faction wars with hundreds of players in one screen throwing magic balls at each other. But yeah, 5 fps is just ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom