• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PC version of F4 will be modded to look amazing before long at least.

Wait a few years, get my PC all nice and upgraded, then get the GOTY version for $5.

dex3108

The animations look about as good as I imagined. Is these kind of animations really a problem with the engine or is their animators just really bad?

They were probably made with last-gen in mind so they are simple so it could fit into the memory limits. Everything i saw about Fallout 4 screams cross-gen game.

Grief.exe

I remember in the embargo thread I was getting utterly destroyed by Bethesda fans due to the mere suggestion of potential issues with Fallout 4, citing the PS3 release of Bethesda games last generation and consistent PC problem with Gamebryo.

That 0 FPS on Xbox One, and technical problems still get swept under the rug by mainstream outlets.

vtgb2bj.gif

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm going to be frank: This might be one of the hardest SteamGAF GOTY votes ever.

There were, in general, more games released in 2015 than any other year of Steam's history; hell, there were more games released this year than many previous years combined. I think if you took 2014+2015, it'd be more games released on Steam in these two years than literally every other year combined.

And among all of those games, it actually turns out, a number of them were actually very, very good, and more surprising is there were very, very good games in nearly every genre of game this year. And then for Steam, re-releases of popular games on the platform, very good console games with PC ports, increased Japanese support, number of bigger and sleeper hits.

I bet this will be one of the hardest Steam GOTY things yet.

Lain

I spent... 140 rubies to almost kill today's raid boss on Clicker Heroes, and he's sitting there with just 2,785M of HP left. Someone please go and kick his ass ><

Arthea

I'm going to be frank: This might be one of the hardest SteamGAF GOTY votes ever.

There were, in general, more games released in 2015 than any other year of Steam's history; hell, there were more games released this year than many previous years combined.

And among all of those games, it actually turns out, a number of them were actually very, very good, and more surprising is there were very, very good games in nearly every genre of game this year. And then for Steam, re-releases of popular games on the platform, very good console games with PC ports, increased Japanese support, number of bigger and sleeper hits.

It would be, if it was possible to play everything released this year, or at least everything we suspect might be good, but that's not possible, so it won't be that hard for many of us. It'll be in years after this we will find ourselves regretting that we haven't played some or other game released this year.

Also, I'm almost sure that my GOTY will have 0 correlation with the rest of steamgaf, so there is that, I mean maybe there isn't any reason even to submit my votes in situation like this.

I remember in the embargo thread I was getting utterly destroyed by Bethesda fans due to the mere suggestion of potential issues with Fallout 4, citing the PS3 release of Bethesda games last generation and consistent PC problem with Gamebryo.

That 0 FPS on Xbox One, and technical problems still get swept under the rug by mainstream outlets.

vtgb2bj.gif

They'll still be using that modified gamebyro engine for TES VI and Fallout 5, and fans will still accept it. And they will still printing money out of them. And they literally have no direct competitors in these kind of RPG. And there's simply nothing that we can do to stop it. And I'll still buy their games. And that makes me sad.

Hektor

A summary of the conclusion of a german review, because its killing me:

Guy Nr 1: I love fallout and i like Fallout 4. It never realizes its full potential. The older games had much more funny and memorable moments.
Sidequests could be more original, the story is often just there.

Guy Nr 2: I really liked everything about the game, but the witcher 3 is better in most aspects.

Guy Nr 3: The most important thing for me in an RPG are Storys. That is where Fallout 4 falls flat.
Fallout 4 doesnt even try to make the sidequests interesting. Dialogue is very boring presented. Only a handful of characters are somewhat memorable. There are only a handful of really cool quests. Many places in the games world are just as uninteresting. There is a lot of utterly geeneric content in this game. It sometimes feels like work.

Guy Nr 4: It feels unfinished, likey they ran out of time. Crafting is kinda useless.
Bugs, glitches and awful controls are standard for a bethesda game but usually not an issue as they could always make up for it with the games world, atmosphere and story. But not this time. Everything is kinda solid, but not remarkable. Even Ubisoft would be ashamed of such generic and boring quests. Its still a good game, but a disappointing one.

Guy Nr 5: I have two hearts for F4. One that complains about the graphics, the completely uninteresting story and the awful controls.

And one that loves to explore the open world. The combat, the exploring of the world and the addicting RPG-System is still very fun, even though Obsidians New Vegas was better in most aspects.

TechCheck: Fallout 4 sufferd from bugs, graphical-glitches, laggy/Pausing dialogue and crashes

87/100

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/fallout-4/test/fallout_4,44673,3238910,fazit.html

There were, in general, more games released in 2015 than any other year of Steam's history; hell, there were more games released this year than many previous years combined. I think if you took 2014+2015, it'd be more games released on Steam in these two years than literally every other year combined.

Mmhmm.

I believe that votes will be all over the place except for certain games.

A summary of the conclusion of a german review, because its killing me: [...]

TechCheck: Fallout 4 sufferd from bugs, graphical-glitches, laggy/Pausing dialogue and crashes

87/100

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/fallout-4/test/fallout_4,44673,3238910,fazit.html
Immer her mit den Deutschen Berichten. Deutsche Gründlichkeit auch bei Spiele-Tests! Da kann der Ami nur hinterherschauen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ4oz8Y1Z8Q

Here is the comparisions between the console and pc fallout versions graphics.
Always good to see no platform gets shafted. Finally we can all judge the game by its own merits without having visual discrepancies lingering in the back of our heads. Without having a visual elite belittling the working gamer class.

Games all around the world unite!
Liberté ! Égalité ! Parité !

Lain

I wish these people were reviewing Rule of Rose way back when. Game might have managed to sell a few more copies and we'd have a sequel or two.

What difference would it make honestly?

For one, Jeff Gerstmann reviewed Fallout 3 and New Vegas and his opinions on those mostly jive with mine. Also GB East has Alex Navarro who doesn't seem to be able to pull off a quick look and drags down every one that he is involved in. Vinny is great when he is working with one of the others or if Alex is just a background voice, and Alex is a fine reviewer, but when Alex is the main on the QL, when he gets talking on a quick look, it's completely uninformative and certainly not entertaining. AC Syndicate is a good example of this. Example: Alex does something, Vinny asks him a question about the said activity, and Alex hasn't the slightly clue as to what Vinny is talking about.

Dr Dogg

Can someone confirm if this is spoilerish? I know some of the GB guys have no remorse with that stuff.

Watched the first 40 mins (well in the background) and nothing too spoilerish (just dicking about and talking about mechanics and how janky it is) though Jeff does give a spoiler warning at the start.

The animations look about as good as I imagined. Is these kind of animations really a problem with the engine or is their animators just really bad?

Gamebyro gets the blame for all of Bethesda's ills but when you look at other things that have been made with it you kind of have to think it's the workman not the tools that lead to some of the irregularities. That and none of them are openworld games which it doesn't seem like a good fit for.

chronomac

Here's a crazy concept: why don't you play the game then shit on it. I know, I know, it's a little out there, a little far fetched. But please try it out.

For one, Jeff Gerstmann review Fallout 3 and New Vegas and his opinions on those mostly jive with mine. Also GB East has Alex Navarro who doesn't seem to be able to pull off a quick look and drags down every one that he is involved in. Vinny is great when he is working with one of the others, and Alex is a fine reviewer, but main, when he gets talking on a quick look, its completely uninformative and certainly not entertaining. AC Syndicate is a good example of this. Alex does something, Vinny asks him a question about the said activity, and Alex hasn't the slightly clue as to what Vinny is talking about.

Alright I see where you are coming from about Alex. Fair criticism.

Also here is a non-spoilery Fallout 4 image that I found funny from the Giant Bomb Quick Look.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It would be, if it was possible to play everything released this year, or at least everything we suspect might be good, but that's not possible, so it won't be that hard for many of us. It'll be in years after this we will find ourselves regretting that we haven't played some or other game released this year.

Also, I'm almost sure that my GOTY will have 0 correlation with the rest of steamgaf, so there is that, I mean maybe there isn't any reason even to submit my votes in situation like this.

Stir the wheels, vote for what you want. My list will mostly be composed of horror games, not because I specifically think they're the best games released this year, but it's definitely the genre of games I know the most about and there were so many good ones this year (though a few non-horror games I have to give my vote on).

However, I like how shackles tackles the list, he doesn't go for a straight-up top 10 or whatever, he lists the games, votes, some user comments on the games, and etc. The top winners will be the ones that were good more people played, buuuut I think it's always a good chance for other games to shine a bit too among our little community.

Mmhmm.

I believe that votes will be all over the place except for certain games.

Yup, which should make things interesting. A few I expect to take the top spots, but I'm interested to see how it goes.

I wish these people were reviewing Rule of Rose way back when. Game might have managed to sell a few more copies and we'd have a sequel or two.

Oh dear, one can dream... Though I'm sure it wouldn't review well these days either. It seems many current reviewers don't like old-school horror anymore, and Rule of Rose, while having an amazing and unique story, soundtrack, art direction, style, and atmosphere, definitely is a bit lacking in the gameplay department.

Though in my dreams there's a bigger budget Rule of Rose sequel which had actually good gameplay and kept everything else that made the first game so damn good.

Tizoc

Here's a crazy concept: why don't you play the game then shit on it. I know, I know, it's a little out there, a little far fetched. But please try it out.

Oh sure because it's a Bethesda game we gotta play it first before we can call it shit :V
I get what you mean though but that really hasn't stopped people here from trashing games they've not played, and trash it based on other people's impressions.

The real problem is this.
Where are Bethesda's direct competitors?!

There is literally no other devs that can achieve (or bother to do) what Bethesda has achieved in their games. If you want to play TES or Fallout, you'll have to buy their games, there's no other choice.

CDPR?

That requires a significant investment of money and judging my 2nd hand videos....i'm good for now.

Locust

Got a Darksiders 2 DE key from emailing Nordic support. Can't believe they'd rather reply to thousands of emails and probably get hundreds of keys scammed when the alternative is to just add it to the spass subs and maybe figure something out for the few that got the spass dlc separately.

gelf

I'm guess I'm part of the problem as I'll usually overlook performance if everything else in the game is solid (unless its an arcade game). We all have different priorities.

Not that bothered about Fallout 4 though as it sounds like more of the same, which means I'll enjoy it enough when I get it in a sale in couple of years time but its not worth full price to me by a long shot even if it was a technical masterclass.

Arthea

I wonder when I will get my dream "apocalyptic" open-world RPG.
RIP S.T.A.L.K.E.R :-(

you just reminded me that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series sold on PC nicely, oh, I know it was in several bundles, but still quite impressive numbers for games that are considered unforgiving.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Score rank: 89% Userscore: 94% Metascore: 82%
Owners: 890,689 ± 25,998

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Score rank: 61% Userscore: 85% Metascore: 75%
Owners: 491,264 ± 19,322

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Score rank: 92% Userscore: 95% Metascore: 80%
Owners: 707,611 ± 23,181

derFeef

Faction mechanics in games always fall flat for me. I can't name a single one that does it well, at least an open-world rpg one.

Looking at that Giant Bomb video, the only way Jim Sterling could have ran into no framerate issues on Fallout 4 is if he never got into combat to be honest. Or he got extremely lucky. Not sure.

Bethesda games.
Loot anything, kill everyone, factions, sandbox, things like that. No direct competition.

I mean, when you qualify it like that...sure. I'd still argue that W3 came damn close. It was also a more or less refined experience on launch (I didn't have any issues/bugs).

GTA5 also fills that 'open-world sandbox' void as well. Even more so w/ FPS mode.

Deques

Got a Darksiders 2 DE key from emailing Nordic support. Can't believe they'd rather reply to thousands of emails and probably get hundreds of keys scammed when the alternative is to just add it to the spass subs and maybe figure something out for the few that got the spass dlc separately.

I haven't received a key yet. But they are just digging their grave more. Those who received the keys maybe don't even want the game so they could sell the keys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom