• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExoSoul

Banned
They seem to be wave your platform banner threads for the most part so just reading the OP seems to do the trick.

Isn't that the whole point of these comparisons? To give the kids "arguments" to use on their "civilised discussions" about the "console with the better performance"?

Dr Dogg

They seem to be wave your platform banner threads for the most part so just reading the OP seems to do the trick.

I don't know the Need For Speed thread gave me a real good chuckle at the extent some of the mental gymnastics that folks will go to make their box of toys seem worthwhile. Asphalt gate is serious business!

Isn't that the whole point of these comparisons? To give the kids "arguments" to use on their "civilised discussions" about the "console with the better performance"?

You would hope that comparing the tech and differences between versions would be an educational and informed environment but 99% of the posters in those threads are fucking clueless. Then again what do expect when using the language like 'Face-Off' and 'Outlet vs Game' it's setting up a competition where there has to be a winner. The level of technical discussion in those threads (despite what some people think they know) is close to zero and filled with assumptions for the most part.

Phawx

Why is PC gaming still considered.. I don't know, hardcore? I went to Gamestop last week to take advantage of the 4 for $10 deal they had and picked up some 360 Kinect games I'd been waiting to drop in price and when the guy saw me buying Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, he thought I was buying it for Xbox One 360 emulation.

When I told him I was mostly gaming on PC, it was like voodoo. Kind of weird that PC gaming has never been more accessible and yet there is still this stigma

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Perched atop my wishlist, I'm ready~

fl3DWFF.png

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Bob Ross is returning to Twitch

We gave our thanks and farewells to the late painting guru Bob Ross last week, at the end of a marathon run of his unique blend of artistry and tranquility on Twitch. Ross' PBS show, The Joy of Painting, ended in 1994, just a year before his death, and whether through brilliant planning or blind luck, its reappearance online was a huge hit.

How huge, you ask? Check this out:
  • 545,880,000 minutes watched
  • 5.6 million unique viewers
  • 3.8 million KappaRoss emotes in chat
  • 7.6 million chat messages sent in Bob Ross channel
  • 183+K concurrent viewers

Because of that popularity, Twitch has decided to bring Bob back. Every Monday night, from 3 pm to 9:30 pm PT, it will run a full season of The Joy of Painting at Twitch.tv/bobross. There are 31 seasons in total, so shows will only repeat once every seven months. On top of that, rights holders Janson Media and Bob Ross Inc. will allow Twitch broadcasters to re-stream these weekly marathons, so anyone who wants can paint along with episodes, add their own commentary, and broadcast it on their own channel.

Proceeds raised through /bobross will be divided between the rights holders, a visual arts non-profit organization called Root Division, the cancer research hospital St. Jude, and Twitch Creative community support. Twitch also plans to run full Joy of Painting marathons annually, beginning on October 29 of each year—Bob Ross' birthday.

Teeth

Why is PC gaming still considered.. I don't know, hardcore? I went to Gamestop last week to take advantage of the 4 for $10 deal they had and picked up some 360 Kinect games I'd been waiting to drop in price and when the guy saw me buying Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, he thought I was buying it for Xbox One 360 emulation.

When I told him I was mostly gaming on PC, it was like voodoo. Kind of weird that PC gaming has never been more accessible and yet there is still this stigma

I think there are a number of reasons for this. First and foremost, there isn't any single company (or group of companies) that advertise for the PC "brand". Gaming on PC back in they day was a major hassle and that type of image takes a long time to change.

Second, the initial monetary outlay upfront is generally higher. You could probably build a gaming PC for around the same money as a PS4 that would do about equivalent performance, but there's no obvious, singular package that you can get off the shelf so you'd have to know what you're doing somewhat. You don't need that knowledge with consoles, you just buy a box and hook it up (and wait for a bunch of patches).

And even then, you still generally have to know more stuff because things tend to go wrong more. Things go wrong on consoles a lot these days, but all you can do is just wait for a patch. With a PC, everyone else could be running GAME X fine and yours could be jacked, and then you can either hope for a patch that may never come, or seek out which of the 7 layers of things could be breaking it (hardware, OS, driver, game version, additional software, etc.). I think most people like knowing that if something breaks, they have a specific direction to point their finger and scream, rather than wondering if it's their own stuff or not. Of course, that type of system variance holds many advantages too.

I'll say that I like the way PC gaming is now and wouldn't want it to change much. It's just easy enough to hop into with very little issue, but extensible enough that I can manipulate my games how I (mostly) see fit. Any more streamlined and much would probably be lost or locked out. Much more extensible, and, well...i'd rather not be looking up IRQ ordering.

Khronico

Bought Fallout 4. The reviews confirmed both my fears and hopes so whatever, I'm going to really, really enjoy this big dumb game.

Bought Fallout 4. The reviews confirmed both my fears and hopes so whatever, I'm going to really, really enjoy this big dumb game.
I was surprised to see a lot of praise for the story but then I remembered Fallout 3 got a lot of that as well :p

Hopefully I'll be surprised on that aspect.

zkylon

zkylewd
Paradox: There have not been enough games set in the World of Darkness.

Interesting interview over at RPS. I'm a little disappointed to hear that they want to bring the two worlds, old and new, together, as I imagine that the new world will be the bigger lower in any merge. Nothing concrete announced yet but it's good to see Paradox's passion for the setting.
i just hope it's an rpg

i really like the world of darkness ruleset, it worked so well in bloodlines

Backlogger

Funstock Digital has been in "maintenance" mode all morning. Is that so they can have an excuse to not send us our keys today like they said they would?

Khronico

I was surprised to see a lot of praise for the story but then I remembered Fallout 3 got a lot of that as well :p

Hopefully I'll be surprised on that aspect.

I remember 14 yr old me being completely entranced by Fallout 3's main quest. I only just recently started to realize how utterly trash whole story was. Still doesn't tarnish my memory of how much I enjoyed that game.

As long as there's a decent smattering of well written side quests I'll be fine.

Bethesda main quests are hilariously bad. I remember laughing out loud at the ending of Skyrim's MQ.

Salsa

glad about fallout 4s reception since I expected way worse

bummer I couldnt get it cause of those shitty regional prices

Sober

I remember 14 yr old me being completely entranced by Fallout 3's main quest. I only just recently started to realize how utterly trash whole story was. Still doesn't tarnish my memory of how much I enjoyed that game.

As long as there's a decent smattering of well written side quests I'll be fine.

Bethesda main quests are hilariously bad. I remember laughing out loud at the ending of Skyrim's MQ.
I should probably just play Skyrim while waiting for FO4 to go on sale.

Finished the main story of Arkham Knight (and some of the side missions). Kinda shame that the game launched in such a bad shape, because the main story (the story itself, not necessarily all of the gameplay itself) is really enjoyable and the gameplay is a bit repetitive at worst and very fun at best.

I have some side missions to do for
Operation Knightfall
, screw Riddler trophies though.

If you have a decent rig (I am running on 4760K and a 970), the game is in a more than a playable state right now. Some stuttering can be expected, but mostly it's a 60FPS/1080p all the time and on parts where it dips to 50's or low 40's it doesn't even matter. I can see why people wouldn't want to give their money to WB after what they did, but anyway it was a really good game.

Salsa

Did you? It's Fallout, everyone was bound to give it 9 and 10s no matter how bad it actually is.

I dont care about the numbers? im talking about what people are saying

surprisingly decent writing and cool memorable characters, none of which was really showcased before the game was out

Ludens

Banned
Some people received their key for Darksiders 2 Deathinitive, even if they sent the mail after that post edit. Otherwise is plenty of people still waiting for a key, and they sent the mail in the "right" time frame.

Uzzy

i just hope it's an rpg

i really like the world of darkness ruleset, it worked so well in bloodlines

An RPG would be great, but a Crusader Kings style game where you engage in vampiric politics across cities and countries would be fantastic and play to Paradox's strengths. Really, I'll be excited for whatever they bring out.

Did you? It's Fallout, everyone was bound to give it 9 and 10s no matter how bad it actually is.

Precisely. The game could brick 75% of all consoles and the reviewers would still be going 'just ignore the bugs! you can pick up trash and move it around and it'll still be where you moved it when you come back 50 hours later'

I dont care about the numbers? im talking about what people are saying

surprisingly decent writing and cool memorable characters, none of which was really showcased before the game was out

Personally, I have zero faith in Bethesda ever putting out decent writing or characters. Nor do I have any faith in game reviewers identifying good writing even if I went and shoved Planescape: Torment in their faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom