• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
tumblr_nt8r43CfmG1uqf15co1_400.gif

and now, Fallout

Corpekata

Banned
Battlefront is clearly the next big title as far as going to sell gangbusters.

Just kidding, it's clearly the Deadpool next gen remaster.

Vlad

I figured as much. I don't really keep up with the general hype on things these days, though. I'm pretty much like the XKCD "guy who plays things five years after everybody else" comic at this point. Between not having the time, skipping the last console generation entirely except for the Wii, and noticing a definite trend in how a lot of the big games are perceived, I've been quite enjoying being way behind the curve.

There's just way too many games that are hyped to the ends of the earth and when the come out, everybody loves them. However, a year later, they're almost universally slammed.

Of course, that still doesn't always stop me. I picked up GTAIV and its expansions at a great price a few months back, and finally finished the last expansion today. That game was easily one of the most painful experiences of my gaming life. I was actually looking at lists of the missions while playing the expansions just to see how much more I had to suffer through.

But like most traumatic experiences, it's nice to be able to say that it's over and done with. On to experience Mirror's Edge for the first time!

Teggy

Here we go! I really hope it's really not going to take 30 minutes to unpack or whatever it's doing. I was just going to create a character and then go to bed.

bede-x

Are we getting reviews of the Steam Machines today? No one seems to be talking about them and they still mostly look massively overpriced, but I'd still like to hear a little more..

Dr.Acula

Banned
I picked up GTAIV and its expansions at a great price a few months back, and finally finished the last expansion today. That game was easily one of the most painful experiences of my gaming life. I was actually looking at lists of the missions while playing the expansions just to see how much more I had to suffer through.

Oh man, what a mistake.

FYI GTAV is amazing in every way.

Backlogger

Ridiculous

40 minutes after I email Funstock to refund my Fallout 4 purchase and buy it on GMG their site comes back up and I can see my key. I guess if they don't refund me I will be able to sell it to someone else. But seriously, what a cluster this was.

Teeth

Oh man, what a mistake.

But people said that about GTA4. They said the problem with it was that there was a dissonance between Nico being a nice guy in cutscenes but a savage murderer in missions.

But that was the least of its problems.

It played like garbage, the mission design was terrible, the core controls were broken, the animation lag was horrendous, the radio stations hacky, the world was boxy and primitive, the story was one-note, the encounter design was tedious. Everything about it was completely awful. It even looked incredibly bland.

The actual dialogue in cutscenes was occasionally alright though.

Vlad

Oh man, what a mistake.

A mistake to play through all of GTAIV? In retrospect, yes it was. I think the only reason that I kept slogging through TBoGT was because people kept saying that was the "good" expansion.

Those people were very, very wrong.

I'm amazed that the developers went from San Andreas to that. I get that they wanted to dial things back a bit and not go the Saints Row route of being wackier and wackier each time. As much as I loved San Andreas, it was definitely starting to pull things in a more bizarre direction, what with the jetpacks and all. Still they went full on boring with GTAIV.

The sad thing was that there were some great things here and there. I really liked that the cars had a little more heft to how they handled, and while the cover system they added to the shooting was a little wonky at times, it did add a bit of strategy to things, as just strolling out into the street and ramboing away was pretty much a guaranteed trip to the hospital.

Other than that, though, blech. I figure by the time GTAV hits the $7 or so I paid for IV, I'll be ready to try the series again.

MUnited83

For you.
But people said that about GTA4. They said the problem with it was that there was a dissonance between Nico being a nice guy in cutscenes but a savage murderer in missions.

It played like garbage, the mission design was terrible, the core controls were broken, the animation lag was horrendous, the radio stations hacky, the world was boxy and primitive, the story was one-note, the encounter design was tedious. Everything about it was completely awful. It even looked incredibly bland.

Don't forget the whole "You died? Fuck you, do everything again, including driving to the quest giver and then to the mission location".

GTA V is indeed much, much better.

Vlad

Yeah, pretty much everything you said.

The story really was a huge letdown. It felt like they were trying to weave some really complicated story with the diamonds and all, but the problem is that most of the characters were either "generic italian/russian/etc mobster" or "wacky character that nobody really takes seriously", so by the time I was seeing things from different perspectives in TBoGT, I was only barely recognizing these characters. Compare that to San Andreas, where I still remember Tenpenny, CJ's friends, Woozy, James Woods' random government guy, and so on.

Teeth

Don't forget the whole "You died? Fuck you, do everything again, including driving to the quest giver and then to the mission location".

Oh god, don't remind me.

Like Vlad, I'll play GTA5 when it's dirty cheap out of some strange sense of duty to play every major game, but I really hope it's as good as people say.

At the very least, I just wish they would go the Saints Row route and just remove their obsession with animation priority. It would solve 80% of my problems with the game if it was just fun to control your character instead of it feeling like controlling the horse in Shadow of the Colossus.

Vlad

Huh? That wasn't a problem in GTAIV at all. Whenever you died or otherwise failed a mission, you got a text message that allowed you to restart it instantly (either from the beginning or a checkpoint). I'd say that's one of the few things that GTAIV did right.

Teeth

Huh? That wasn't a problem in GTAIV at all. Whenever you died or otherwise failed a mission, you got a text message that allowed you to restart it instantly (either from the beginning or a checkpoint). I'd say that's one of the few things that GTAIV did right.

If i remember correctly, there were only check points in Lost and Damned and Gay Tony. GTA4 vanilla would start you at the beginning of the mission each time.

Vlad

Oh god, don't remind me.

Like Vlad, I'll play GTA5 when it's dirty cheap out of some strange sense of duty to play every major game, but I really hope it's as good as people say.

That just made me think, if I had purchased the game at full price I'd be absolutely furious. I mean, there's very few games that I blind buy when they first come out any more. Zachtronics has my trust, as well as Terry Cavanagh, and I've got a soft spot for anything with a Danny Baranowsky soundtrack, but almost any other developer at this point has just too much fluctuation in their output to go in at full price any more.

At the very least, I just wish they would go the Saints Row route and just remove their obsession with animation priority. It would solve 80% of my problems with the game if it was just fun to control your character instead of it feeling like controlling the horse in Shadow of the Colossus.

Is that how a lot of the moving around is a little clunky? I didn't mind it most of the time. However, when you're trying to do something fast, I was so close to giving up. I just about lost my shit during the parachute/boat/car race in TBoGT and it was taking my guy forever to get in the damn boat. Thankfully, the checkpoint that I had to restart at put me at the beginning of the car segment, but that still doesn't excuse the chunkiness.

Vlad

If i remember correctly, there were only check points in Lost and Damned and Gay Tony. GTA4 vanilla would start you at the beginning of the mission each time.

Oh, really? To tell you the truth, I took a LONG break between playing Lost and the Damned and Gay Tony. After going through the main game and LatD back to back, my mental well-being required that I play something that was actually "fun".

FWIW I found GTA IV fun, especially the car handling and the weighty feel to everything. I could probably drive for hours and do stunts and stuff.

kswiston

what was skyrims peak?

280-290k. Considering that the East coast has only had access for an hour, and the west coast doesn't have access at all (outside of VPN which is going to be a small minority of users), that record is going to get demolished.

Fallout is now at >270k.

Teeth

That just made me think, if I had purchased the game at full price I'd be absolutely furious. I mean, there's very few games that I blind buy when they first come out any more. Zachtronics has my trust, as well as Terry Cavanagh, and I've got a soft spot for anything with a Danny Baranowsky soundtrack, but almost any other developer at this point has just too much fluctuation in their output to go in at full price any more.

The only games I purchase for full price these days (because I'm poor) are the Souls games and games made by people I know. That's not to say I don't like modern games; I tend to like a lot more of them than most that post in here, I just can't afford it.

Is that how a lot of the moving around is a little clunky? I didn't mind it most of the time. However, when you're trying to do something fast, I was so close to giving up. I just about lost my shit during the parachute/boat/car race in TBoGT and it was taking my guy forever to get in the damn boat. Thankfully, the checkpoint that I had to restart at put me at the beginning of the car segment, but that still doesn't excuse the chunkiness.

I found moving around to be more than a little clunky. It's terrible. Nico has an incredibly wide turning arc. His ability to change direction, even while walking, takes forever. Everything has a huge amount of lag associated with it because of their stinking engine which renders multiple frames ahead for the post processing. Add on top of that animation priority and the game just feels terrible.

The aiming is god awful as well. The game, while Nico is in cover, will snap aim to enemies that are hidden behind cover and won't let you move off of them to enemies that are in plain view. Occasionally, the game will just lock you out of aiming while you are in cover. The aim assist is atrocious in its magnetism and letting you off of it. There a hideous lag between not aiming and aiming. Most of the guns are wildly inaccurate (which is something that L&D and Gay Tony improved the most - they give you accurate and powerful guns right off the bat, which absolves the terrible shooting of a lot the problems).

Then there are death-by-1000-cuts little control problems like the how the camera will constantly violently shift towards the direction you are walking/running, so you can't look around while you move about. The heinous lag between pressing the button to call up your phone and when it actually does. The terrible menu navigation in the actual phone itself. The lag to bring up the map. The buttons that switch core functions between on foot and driving (shooting changes to a totally different button). The anemic jump which is entirely worthless and just gets you hung up or stuck on geometry. Having to watch weird animation sequences that appear to be moving at half speed any time you go to get in or out of a car. Mission design that seems content to have you drive to one side of the map to start a mission only to drive to the other side of the map just to actually do that mission. Having to go to your home to save your game. Having to drive around until you find a food vendor to heal up. Having to drive around to go to a weapons shop to get armor after you fail a mission.

Fuck that game.

Every Rockstar North employee should be forced to play Saints Row 3 and told "This is how a character should control. This is how a macro design of a mission should play out."

Monooboe

Aah I have a short workweek this week, so pretty much perfect for Fallout 4. Still haven't gotten it though, just has to come today. Hopefully it will actually install from the disc unlike Phantom Pain.XD

Milamber

Just Cause 3 now, huh?

In before, which is the cheapest site to get JC3 from? Wasn't JC3 part of some Nvidia card deal? Or is still that Batman?

kswiston

So, GTA V peak was 360k. Fallout 4 is now sitting at 290k.
Let's see..

Half of North America can't even play the game yet. Most of Europe is asleep or getting ready to go to work/school. If we are getting close to 300k at 1:30am EST, GTA's record will be toast by tomorrow afternoon.

I actually think Fallout 4 can flirt with 500k before it starts its slow decent down the list.

There's been three different types of cover that started to fall apart as I hid behind them in Fallout 4, forcing me to move. Gunplay has gotten a massive boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom