• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it fell in line with the rest of the game. That and you'll never make everyone happy.

If you write in a single ending, you'll have people wonder why you couldn't affect the ending, especially when there's more mechanical involvement in this game (time travel) than say in something like The Walking Dead which had a single fixed ending and no real choice associated with it.

I think overall the game did make good with its final choice however you cut it. I don't think it's fair to say it undercuts the entirety of the experience beforehand because I would argue that in order to make "the final choice" at the end of the game, it was a culmination of everything you had done and how you personally interpreted the events of the games and characters. It certainly did more of that than Mass Effect 3's ending did, if we're gonna rake a game's ending over the coals, because ME3 arguably tries to do both a fixed ending and tries to incorporate player choice into it, but does it very poorly because it's a choice where you aren't given much to go on. Even Human Revolution's push-button-for-ending sequence wasn't as bad because the game built up to your choice through gameplay, narrative and theme to influence your (initial) choice. Or at least that was the intent.
I don't think Mass Effect 3's endings were so hated just because they didn't include player choices, it was because they were identical(Bioware was being lazy) and some of the endings were outright shit.
Control was literally what Saren and Illusive Man were trying to do, and Shepard told Illusive Man to fuck off just ten minutes before, the sudden change of heart is ridiculous. Synthetic is just ugh, what the fuck is this shit?

Extended cut added more slides to show the player what happens to your friends next, which is nice, but it doesn't fix the writing being crap part. And it also added the "fuck you" ending because people hated Star Child and like to shoot it, if you took the time to record new lines and cinematics why don't you fix the shit endings Casey Hudson?

Dr Dogg

Got to try it on a friends Surface Pro 4 - it's pretty great.

What massively surprised me is the Surface Pen though. You can play strategy games with it pretty damn well. I played Starcraft 2 with it. The pen part works as you'd expect, but there is also a button along the side for right click. I think I'm going to have to get one, when I have enough money to throw at it.

I've been saying this for years and on GAF too. The best input device for a RTS game is a graphics tablet and digitizer. By far and away the most accurate and immediate control method and the speed you can navigate the map, interface and managing your squad/army is a massive step up over a mouse. If you have something a little more professional like a Wacom Intuos then mapping the programmable keys with common functions and assigning the scroll pad to zoom and rotate controls then you already had a slouched sofa control scheme waaay before the Steam Controller. Works great with squad based titled like CoH or DoW or more larger army type titles like Total War or Supreme Commander.

Definitely something every RTS fan should check out at least once and for those still in the adjustment period of getting used to cursor control with a graphics tablet they're a great learning tool too.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Is there actual interest in playing the Bubsy games? I always wrote them off as part of the rush of me-too platformers during the 16-bit era, but did I miss something and there was something interesting about them?

Tizoc

Is there actual interest in playing the Bubsy games? I always wrote them off as part of the rush of me-too platformers during the 16-bit era, but did I miss something and there was something interesting about them?

Supposedly the games aren't that good but either way it helps to preserve such games.

Knurek

I can't wait for Zool on Greenlight and the Awesome Possum Kicks Dr. Machino's Butt Kickstarter Indiegogo campaign.

Better yet, Ristar 2
i-hnhcM3x-1050x10000.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
lis ending was pretty alright, not everything one would hope for considering the kind of game it is but it's a time travel story, what did u think was gonna happen

Momentary

Banned
MadCatz stock SE was worse than the T6 Hori for you? God damn, the stock SE was a godsend compared to the T6 for me.

The first batch of MadCatz SE were horrible. Very few people got decent ones. In the first week my actual stick fell through the case because of stripped screws and 4 out of the 8 buttons stopped working. When I opened it up for repair, the glue job for connections was horrible. The only thing that case was good for was modding. All the parts in it were horrible. It looked like someone did it with a blindfold on. Even now the cable is falling apart and the connection to the stick's PCB is super loose.

Worse stick I ever owned. The T6 is super shitty too, but not as bad as the stock SE was for me. What a horrible stick. I've never cheaped out on sticks again because of those two abominations.

Edit: Actually I found my almost 7 year old Amazon Review and I was wrong. It was 5 buttons. I raised the rating from a 1 to a 3 because of it being mod friendly. It should have been a 2.

If you're looking for a great arcade stick box to mod this is the thing you need. You don't need to solder anything due to everything being quick disconnects.

But for the regular consumer this product... well at least mine... was a piece of crap.

Defects:
-Joystick sticking to the right due to loose washer
-5 out of the 8 buttons stopped registering more than %50 of the time before my sanwa parts came in
-Screws holding the stick were stripped and the stick fell through the box the first day I recieved it.

For $80 a controller should not do that, no matter what you're buying it for. I was never rough with it or slammed the buttons. I'm a very light tapper and I'm very relaxed on the joystick. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm technically savvy when it comes to arcade sticks this would have been a nightmare purchase for me.

Edit: Raised the rating a bit due to being mod friendly.

Uraizen

Banned
The first batch of MadCatz SE were horrible. Very few people got decent ones. In the first week my actual stick fell threw the case because of stripped screws and 4 out of the 8 buttons stopped working. When I opened it up for repair, the glue job for connections was horrible. The only thing that case was good for was modding. All the parts in it were horrible. It looked like someone did it with a blindfold on. Even now the cable is falling apart and the connection to the stick's PCB is super loose.

Worse stick I ever owned. The T6 is super shitty too, but not as bad as the stock SE was for me. What a horrible stick. I've never cheaped out on sticks again because of those two abominations.

Wooooow, mine was from a later batch. I had none of the issues you described. It didn't look that bad when I gutted it either.

Also, yes, anybody interested in an arcade stick, do not cheap out on your stick. My original $150 TE from early 2009 is still working perfectly and I've never replaced the parts. Can't say the same for my T6 which broke within a month and was the wireless the equivalent of a $60 Hori Fighting stick.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What!? I wanted my brother to play this. Fuck this.

Edit: I think it's only locked for cross-region.

It's not blocked from family sharing, but the way FS is currently implemented isn't perfect and results in some sharable games missing from shared libraries, and which games don't appear is entirely random (e.g. Advanced Warfare shows up as a shared game for my alt account but not Enco, while games such as RE6/Revelations and Stick of Truth are missing from both lists).

Edit: You're right that runtime-restricted games don't appear in shared libraries if there's a mismatch (e.g. Duck Dynasty doesn't show up if I log into my alt account with my usual IP, since Australia is a prohibited country, but does if I do so with a US IP), however that'd only apply to LiS if he activated a restricted gift copy using a VPN.

Braag

The steam sales have been kinda weird this time around. Mainly because the daily and flash deals have been removed.
That feeling when you know Steam store is about to update and you want to be the first to see that days deals, so you keep refreshing the page but all you see is "The Steam Store is experiencing some heavy load right now. Please try again later." because everyone else is doing the same thing. Then finally the page loads... and you end up being disappointed because the deals don't interest you or you all ready own all of them so you decide to check back tomorrow. That feeling is gone.

It's not blocked from family sharing, but the way FS is currently implemented isn't perfect and results in some sharable games missing from shared libraries, and which games don't appear is entirely random (e.g. Advanced Warfare shows up as a shared game for my alt account but not Enco, while games such as RE6/Revelations and Stick of Truth are missing from both lists).

Edit: You're right that runtime-restricted games don't appear in shared libraries if there's a mismatch (e.g. Duck Dynasty doesn't show up if I log into my alt account with my usual IP, since Australia is a prohibited country, but does if I do so with a US IP), however that'd only apply to LiS if he activated a restricted gift copy using a VPN.

Just bought it from the (chinese) Steam store.

Ludens

Banned
I love how the PC community is so much more active than the consoles.

Can't wait for MGO in January :D

Umh, no lol. Actually the fact there are more nukes is a bad thing: Microsoft users can unlock the hidden ending in a couple of minutes if they want, same applies to PS users.
On PC there are so many nukes because cheaters can create them in no time.

Locust

Just goes to show that they don't give a shit about cheaters. Banning people that have more nukes than the game normally allows should've been trivial.

Hektor

Actually, it's Legi.

We are Legi and we are many.

One day i'm gonna make a battleground ripoff with Lego.

So, Lords of the fallen for 5$, how is it? I read negative reviews on steam

I wouldn't recommend it at all. It's just not fun imho.

Well, some of those nukes are most likely cheated as Konami doesn't give a damn.

yuraya

Umh, no lol. Actually the fact there are more nukes is a bad thing: Microsoft users can unlock the hidden ending in a couple of minutes if they want, same applies to PS users.
On PC there are so many nukes because cheaters can create them in no time.

Yea but the fact that people go out of their way to cheat represents activity :p

There is almost always a nuclear equipped FOB to invade. Its fun. You can watch the secret ending on youtube anyways. Actually the entire FOB concept of being able to invade people when they are offline is very smart thing. The community should be very active for many years to come. Its very smart thinking from Kojima and his team.

Ludens

Banned
Yea but the fact that people go out of their way to cheat represents activity :p

There is almost always a nuclear equipped FOB to invade. Its fun. You can watch the secret ending on youtube anyways. Actually the entire FOB concept of being able to invade people when they are offline is very smart thing. The community should be very active for many years to come.

I watched it, but I want unlock it by myself, I dismantled 104 nukes until now, I can't find more Fobs with nukes at the moment.

AHA-Lambda

Although they may not be directly comparable, I find my experience with Minecraft Story Mode in comparison to Tales from the Borderlands kinda interesting.

Both are Telltale series from which I have no interest in the source material, nor any knowledge in beyond a superficial level.

After liking Borderlands I thought I'd give Minecraft a shot as a matter of interest, but Minecraft is more on the GoT tier, just kinda dull.

Strangely though, I never really felt out of the loop with Borderlands despite having not played the prior games. For the source game with no story, I am actually feeling quite lost in Minecraft Story Mode.

Like, for example, I have no idea what an enderman is supposed to be or why I am to avoid looking at them? Is that a thing from the original game?
What is a wither either?
Are potions a thing in the original game? Cos they are here.

It's just weird I knew nothing from Borderlands and it didn't matter in my play experience, but Minecraft, the game with no story, I feel kinda lost in playing =/

Edit: also it's actually quite impressive the number of characters in this series who are all total fucking asshats

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I wonder who will direct FFXVI, I know it's a bit early thinking about it but I do wonder if the guy directing FFXII will do it.

yuraya

No, it means that some people don't give a fuck so they cheat.

But they still log into the game and participate. Whether its cheating or not it doesn't matter. Its not like this game is some shooter like CSGO.

A few cheaters create hours and hours of gameplay for others. Someone cheating to steal your nuke isn't a big deal at all. The grieving in this case is very minimal compared to 99.9% of other multiplayer games where people cheat.

My first impression of Life is Strange is, that character expressions are kinda bad. It would help this game tremendously if they can nailed it. What a shame.
It's a pretty different game with what I've played so far though, and even only from watching my wife play it, it's is a pretty absorbing and game. We're loving it so far.

Ludens

Banned
King's Quest WARNING:

if you buy Episode 1 stand-alone, you will be locked out from purchasing Complete Edition, and that one contains an Epilogue not available if you purchase the season pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom